TESTERS WANTED! ×

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Sluggo42

When I was a kid, most NFL teams played in MLB ballparks. The Rams (LA Colosseum), 49ers (Kezar Stadium), and Eagles (Penn's Franklin Field) are the only exceptions that jump immediately to mind.  Chicago had two teams, the Bears and the Cardinals, playing at Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, even with the old Soldiers Field sitting there doing nothing. . My own Patriots played in  Fenway Park.

Then, in the 1970s, all those horrific cookie cutter "all purpose" stadia were built. They weren't really good for any sports, and while some folks loved that era for the actual football, I don't think anybody misses the venues.

Now MLB teams and NFL teams alike almost all play in purpose-built facilities which constitute a major improvement, most of us would agree.  They all have luxury suites, of course, but even the regular seats in which we might get a chance to sit now and then have excellent sight lines...plus there's a Jumbotron to replay what we might have missed.

My teams, the Red Sox and the Patriots, play in parks which they own and weren't in any way funded with public money.  Gillette Stadium, which opened in 2002 (Pat's missed playoffs after first Bowl win), is a reasonably decent facility. Fenway Park, which was built just before the Titanic sank, is represented as beloved but is actually an agonizingly uncomfortable dump with the worst sight lines in baseball in right field, especially the seats behind the pillars. If you sit in the acclaimed "Green Monster Seats,: you can't see any ball hit to left much beyond shortstop unless you're in the front row.

It's one thing that you can't build a publicly funded ballpark in Boston--you'd have to put every local politician's kid through Harvard just to get an appointment to talk. You can't even build one with your own money.  Getting a building permit to  construct a shed for your garbage barrels usually involves depraved acts of some kind.

I can't go to ballgames now that I have time to go to as many as I want because sitting in Fenway at this age would put me in traction. 

I supposed I could catch a Pats game if I were willing to pay secondary market prices and put up with the traffic when it's so comfortable to watch the games here in my man cave. Plus we're coming to the end of an era anyway.

What made me think of stadiums this weekend was a picture I saw in the newspaper after the traditional Thanksgiving Morning high school football games.   My high school's Thanksgiving games against our arch rival used to be banged out with over 10,000 people crammed into the CWA Project local stadium. The picture in the paper showed the winning team running onto the field, helmets raised high above their heads, and in the background, the stands were virtually empty. A ton of money was recently spent to repair the crumbling concrete structure, and one wonders why. Half the parents don't even go to the games.

So I wonder...if the Thanksgiving rivalry local games don't draw flies, is this an indication of what to expect at Gillette Stadium a few days down the road?  Parents, at least locally, are really down on football.

I'm thinking this is the greatest trick play in NFL history.  Something for Dolphin fans to celebrate and possibly another record 👏.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

8 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

YMV is vulgar urban street talk for Your Mother's Vagina. 

Did you mean something else?

Ummm...... I missed an M?... "your mileage may vary"?  My apologies if you took it wrong.

I most certainly would never talk to anyone like that on this forum... or any other.

Edited by silver & black

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

Ummm...... I missed an M?... "your mileage may vary"?  My apologies if you took it wrong.

I most certainly would never talk to anyone like that on this forum... or any other.

I should have know better, S&B. Sorry.

Anyway, tonight's the night that it all came to an end.

I'm skipping the second half and going to bed early.

And not even thinking about Kansas City next week.

I should have know better, S&B. Sorry.
Anyway, tonight's the night that it all came to an end.
I'm skipping the second half and going to bed early.
And not even thinking about Kansas City next week.

I had a feeling that it was a mistake when I saw the post. Happy it worked out guys.
Now for the Pats.......Sure miss Gronk.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Lots of odd games today, but the best was balts victory over the 49ers, and Texans seem to be handling the Pity Pats. If the Hawks can manage a victory over the Vikings, we may very well have 5 teams at 10 - 2.

not sure that’s ever happened before. So much for parity anymore...

but then Cincy won and the Dolfins won big.... hmmm

Edited by Sluggo42

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

When I was a kid, most NFL teams played in MLB ballparks. The Rams (LA Colosseum), 49ers (Kezar Stadium), and Eagles (Penn's Franklin Field) are the only exceptions that jump immediately to mind.  Chicago had two teams, the Bears and the Cardinals, playing at Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, even with the old Soldiers Field sitting there doing nothing. . My own Patriots played in  Fenway Park.
Then, in the 1970s, all those horrific cookie cutter "all purpose" stadia were built. They weren't really good for any sports, and while some folks loved that era for the actual football, I don't think anybody misses the venues.
Now MLB teams and NFL teams alike almost all play in purpose-built facilities which constitute a major improvement, most of us would agree.  They all have luxury suites, of course, but even the regular seats in which we might get a chance to sit now and then have excellent sight lines...plus there's a Jumbotron to replay what we might have missed.
My teams, the Red Sox and the Patriots, play in parks which they own and weren't in any way funded with public money.  Gillette Stadium, which opened in 2002 (Pat's missed playoffs after first Bowl win), is a reasonably decent facility. Fenway Park, which was built just before the Titanic sank, is represented as beloved but is actually an agonizingly uncomfortable dump with the worst sight lines in baseball in right field, especially the seats behind the pillars. If you sit in the acclaimed "Green Monster Seats,: you can't see any ball hit to left much beyond shortstop unless you're in the front row.
It's one thing that you can't build a publicly funded ballpark in Boston--you'd have to put every local politician's kid through Harvard just to get an appointment to talk. You can't even build one with your own money.  Getting a building permit to  construct a shed for your garbage barrels usually involves depraved acts of some kind.
I can't go to ballgames now that I have time to go to as many as I want because sitting in Fenway at this age would put me in traction. 
I supposed I could catch a Pats game if I were willing to pay secondary market prices and put up with the traffic when it's so comfortable to watch the games here in my man cave. Plus we're coming to the end of an era anyway.
What made me think of stadiums this weekend was a picture I saw in the newspaper after the traditional Thanksgiving Morning high school football games.   My high school's Thanksgiving games against our arch rival used to be banged out with over 10,000 people crammed into the CWA Project local stadium. The picture in the paper showed the winning team running onto the field, helmets raised high above their heads, and in the background, the stands were virtually empty. A ton of money was recently spent to repair the crumbling concrete structure, and one wonders why. Half the parents don't even go to the games.
So I wonder...if the Thanksgiving rivalry local games don't draw flies, is this an indication of what to expect at Gillette Stadium a few days down the road?  Parents, at least locally, are really down on football.

Yup, “Beloved Fenway” is not a great place to view a game unless your behind home plate.

My Gson is a talented athlete @ 13. He’s playing Legion B-ball with 17 & unders. He’s lives football but my daughter will not under any circumstance let him play tackle. She allows him to play in a Saturday Flag league but that’s it. He’s not happy about it but he respects my daughters decision.

Rick

Left Hand, 

12 hours ago, Rickp said:

Yup, “Beloved Fenway” is not a great place to view a game unless your behind home plate.

My Gson is a talented athlete @ 13. He’s playing Legion B-ball with 17 & unders. He’s lives football but my daughter will not under any circumstance let him play tackle. She allows him to play in a Saturday Flag league but that’s it. He’s not happy about it but he respects my daughters decision.

Wow!   I've never heard of a thirteen year old that respects his parents' decisions about anything!

I feel for your grandson but agree with your daughter.  Football has put an awful lot of young men into wheelchairs.

My daughter is a Probation Officer, she may be small but tough.
He’s a real good kid and the seriousness of a concussion isn’t lost on him.

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 hours ago, Rickp said:

My daughter is a Probation Officer, she may be small but tough.
He’s a real good kid and the seriousness of a concussion isn’t lost on him.

Cool.  My daughter is a case analyst with the BPD Domestic Violence Unit.  She started as an intern writing press releases for the Boston Police while she was in college twenty years ago and never left the city.  Her husband is a lieutenant detective.

Cool.  My daughter is a case analyst with the BPD Domestic Violence Unit.  She started as an intern writing press releases for the Boston Police while she was in college twenty years ago and never left the city.  Her husband is a lieutenant detective.  

Interesting, my daughter went to CCSU study ing really nothing, took a minor in criminology with classes from Dr Henry Lee. Did a internship at a CT Police Lockup and she was hooked. Her internship was a 17 year boy charged with murder. She’s retiring next year after 23 years due to CT tax/budget problems. She’ll do something else.

Rick

Left Hand, 

All I want for Christmas is for the Buffalo Bills to win the AFC East division this year.

That is all.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Not used to seeing the Pats on the wrong side of bad calls, refs blew that game for sure.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I am just here for the Nifty soliloquy

Thanks, jlukes.

Officiating may have cost us the game last night, but there were no perverse forces at play, I'm sure.  Zebra crews, like football teams themselves, have bad days--and yesterday's crew had a horrific one. They had one cheap holding call on KC...and they had almost countless missed calls that hurt the Pats.

Still, if you want to win, don't leave your defense on the field for the entire second quarter so the other team can score 17 points. An exemplary second half by the defense, going with a valiant effort with an understaffed offense,  was too little too late.

At forty-two years of age, Tom Brady, the Greatest Of All Time, has nothing with which to work other than White and Edelman. Gronk would be irreplaceable for any team, of course.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a GOAT as well.  Offensive linemen who've played well in the past display terribly eroded skills now.   The 2019 New England Patriots, even with a respectable 10-3 record, don't have an offense to scare anybody.

If they win their last three games--anything but a sure thing--the Pats will get the playoff bye, even if they must play the AFC Championship Game on the road should they somehow get there.  This is obviously the end of a great dynasty, but I'm holding out hope for that Stairway to Seven.  That would be a magnificent ending, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

Then it's done. Brady's house is up for sale. He's not coming back.  What remains to be seen is whether he has the good sense to retire or decides to prove that he can't play anymore by,  like others before him, trying to cap his career playing with somebody else.  That's certainly not something I could bring myself to watch.

18 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Thanks, jlukes.

Officiating may have cost us the game last night, but there were no perverse forces at play, I'm sure.  Zebra crews, like football teams themselves, have bad days--and yesterday's crew had a horrific one. They had one cheap holding call on KC...and they had almost countless missed calls that hurt the Pats.

Still, if you want to win, don't leave your defense on the field for the entire second quarter so the other team can score 17 points. An exemplary second half by the defense, going with a valiant effort with an understaffed offense,  was too little too late.

At forty-two years of age, Tom Brady, the Greatest Of All Time, has nothing with which to work other than White and Edelman. Gronk would be irreplaceable for any team, of course.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a GOAT as well.  Offensive linemen who've played well in the past display terribly eroded skills now.   The 2019 New England Patriots, even with a respectable 10-3 record, don't have an offense to scare anybody.

If they win their last three games--anything but a sure thing--the Pats will get the playoff bye, even if they must play the AFC Championship Game on the road should they somehow get there.  This is obviously the end of a great dynasty, but I'm holding out hope for that Stairway to Seven.  That would be a magnificent ending, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

Then it's done. Brady's house is up for sale. He's not coming back.  What remains to be seen is whether he has the good sense to retire or decides to prove that he can't play anymore by,  like others before him, trying to cap his career playing with somebody else.  That's certainly not something I could bring myself to watch.

But you'll still post on this thread, reminding everyone of the "glory days" while at the same time telling everyone that you aren't a fan and don't watch anymore, right?

Just now, jlukes said:

But you'll still post on this thread, reminding everyone of the "glory days" while at the same time telling everyone that you aren't a fan and don't watch anymore, right?

I still watch Patriots games, albeit nothing else, jlukes.  This will almost certainly be the last season for even that. You've seen my posts explaining why.  I'm not a football fan anymore.  I'm just a Belichick-Brady football fan. No other football was ever like it, and I don't expect to see anything like it in the future.  It hasn't been perfection, but it's been too close to perfection to ever be reproduced.

I am just here for the Nifty soliloquy  

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy[/

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That's sad. There were the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and other dynasties before the Patriots, I'm a Pats fan BTW. There were the undefeated Dolphins, no one including the Pats have yet matched that. And new and exciting players come along every year, e.g. Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, and there will be other dynasties to come. Brady and Belichick's legacies are already secure, though I'd hate to see Brady tarnish his by overstaying.

As great as Tom Brady was, Joe Montana was still the most amazing QB I've ever watched (so far) but his career was much shorter than many of his peers.

... Just sayin, 85 Bears beat the Patriots 46-10 in the Super Bowl and held the Pats offense to -36 yards in the first half. MINUS 36 yds. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That's sad. There were the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and other dynasties before the Patriots, I'm a Pats fan BTW. There were the undefeated Dolphins, no one including the Pats have yet matched that. And new and exciting players come along every year, e.g. Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, and there will be other dynasties to come. Brady and Belichick's legacies are already secure, though I'd hate to see Brady tarnish his by overstaying.

As great as Tom Brady was, Joe Montana was still the most amazing QB I've ever watched (so far) but his career was much shorter than many of his peers.

Your point is well taken, Middler, but I had already stopped watching football after the Tatum-Stingley disaster in the 70s.  It made me sick to my stomach.  Then the Brady-Belichick era happened and I was drawn back in.  I'm guessing that I'll fall back out when it's over.

20 minutes ago, Middler said:

9 years before Robert Kraft and 15-16 years before the Belichick-Brady era began, just sayin...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats become also rans like the Bears in a few years, so we might as well enjoy it while we can. The decline has already begun.

Belichick can win 10 games a year just on defensive scheming alone.  He could have Howdy Doody at QB and it wouldn't matter.  Matt Cassel is proof of that.

39 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just sayin, 85 Bears beat the Patriots 46-10 in the Super Bowl and held the Pats offense to -36 yards in the first half. MINUS 36 yds. 

38-24 Dolphins on MNF for your only loss that year.  What a shame that Miami fell apart in the AFC Championship that year, because they should've had a rematch with Chicago in that Super Bowl, which would have been much more competitive then that dog and pony show the Patriots threw out there.

Brady isn't the issue with the offense. The offensive line hasn't been good. The lack of any threat at the tight end position is placing more pressure on Edelman, who's seeing a lot more double teams, which is placing more pressure on the other wide receivers to get separation, which they haven't been doing well enough, which doesn't help when coupled with the lack of protection the offensive line is giving Brady. The running game has suffered immensely with Develin out.

Brady has not had his best year, obviously, but there's a lot more at play with the Pats offense than just him falling off. Manning was genuinely the issue in Denver. The same isn't true with New England this year.

They were robbed of two touchdowns and a clear pass interference call. That said, the Pats offense isn’t top tier this year for several reasons so they won’t be going to the SB, and I’m a Pats fan. Too bad as their D and special teams are good this year. It’s time for Brady to move on before he diminishes his legacy by overstaying like Peyton Manning. He’s already not as sharp as he once was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I still think that Matt Damon looks like Tom Brady, or vice versa.  I mean, if you're looking for someone to play Tom Brady in a movie, there you go.

Because I mean, he's done everything possible in professional football; if Rudy can make a movie about his time being a tackling dummy at Notre Dame in the 70's why can't we have a movie about Tom Brady the bionic quarterback?

Good God the Eagles are terrible. 

Possible Eli last game out a winner?
Beat Brady/Belichick in 2 Super Bowls

Rick

Left Hand, 

I was more responding to you saying he should move on before he tarnishes his legacy. Yeah, I acknowledge he's not had his best year, but it's directly a result of the other issues plaguing the offense, not his own ability to handle the duties of playing quarterback in the NFL.

I agree, I don't want to see him go out with a season like Manning had, but Brady is not at that point in his career yet. Manning had zero feeling in his fingertips from nerve damage in his neck. He could barely throw the ball downfield. Brady's arm is still in good shape.

I didn’t say Brady was the only issue with the offense this year, see above. 

You acknowledge Brady is not at the top of his game, he’s had better longevity than his peers but there’s a limit. Again, I’d hate to see Brady’s career end with a last year like Peyton Manning, far from his best years...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I’m surprised there hasn’t been mention of the Pats, latest cheating scandal. Spy-gate II, if there is anything to tarnish the Brady-Belichick era, it’s the countless cheating scandals. I’m not surprised to see this happen again, as the saying goes, leopards never change their spots. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock