TESTERS WANTED! ×

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Sluggo42

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

I believe it's more of a safety issue, not socio-political. I'd rather have my kids play any other sport  (well maybe except for Rugby) then football. 

... After 2 back surgeries, foot and shoulder surgery from playing college football I told my son I wanted him to play other sports before even thinking about playing football and I wished he would not play football at all. He played soccer, basketball and I coached him as an all star every year he played baseball from 2nd grade thru his senior year in high school. Maybe the best pure hitter I have ever seen in person for his age but a mediocre fielder, he defiantly could have played baseball. But he came to me in the 7th grade and said he tried other sports and he knew it would disappoint me but he wanted to play football. I told him I was not disappointed at all and was glad he tried other sports as I asked before making a decision to play. 

... The irony is he became one of the reasons I think football is so dangerous. He was a DE/LB hybrid at 6'3" weighing 255lbs and ran a 4.59 forty. After training exclusively for football, he was so strong and very explosive and was pretty much at full speed in 3 steps. As AQB I was hit too many times to count but never by the kind of athletes playing today and have to shudder thinking about some of the hits I saw my son deliver to QB's in his college career. He knocked 3 of them out of games and quite a few more were limping or favoring a body part after being hit. My point is the game was not designed to be played by guys that are so big, so strong, so fast and so explosive. Tackling was an art of wrapping and driving or pulling to the ground an without face masks NOBODY used their head to make tackles. But equipment changed as well as the athletes and what is on the field today is just so radically different than the Championship teams of the 70's. And of course we now know that CTE is prevalent with todays equipment and players delivering such explosive hits as opposed to wrapping and tackling. He was offered a contract with the Colts who said he could be a special teams stalwart but would be given an opportunity to win a LB position. After refusing to learn about CTE in college, he read up on the subject and decided he had tempted fate enough and would rather be able to walk and think clearly when he gets older and turned them down. One of the best days of my life as a parent was knowing he could possibly play in the NFL but was smart enough to turn down the opportunity for his own future. Win-win for us. 

... I still think it is a great game, maybe the best team game there is for learning so many life lessons.  No other game combines such a wide array of body types and skill sets for different positions and with so many players on a team there will be completely different personality types learning to come together and play as one unit. They will run across 2 types of coaches that also give them life lessons. The bad coaches that think the players are there to help them win games or the good coaches that think they are there to help players win games, just like bosses they will work for in the future. And at early ages and thru most high schools (although some are factory programs with athletes playing near college level) it is still a game kids can safely play as long as they are coached correctly. That said I absolutely understand parents not allowing their kids to play football. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I can see logic in everything chisag says above.

I basically stopped liking football as a sport with the Tatum hit on Stingley back in the 70s.

I absolutely HATE the NFL as an organization (as do most Patriot fans).

I just love the Brady/Belichick era Patriots.

I love how they play in the middle of the field, inside the numbers, with those precise, short passes.

I love the ten and twelve play sustained drives.

I love how Belichick gives the sportswriters the respect that they deserve in the post game press conferences.

I love how Gronk is a seven foot, three hundred pound nine year old. He makes us all laugh.

I love how the Pats enrage Middle America after Middle America enraged me over other things.

It's entirely likely that when the dynasty is officially over, I'll never watch another football  game  again because the things that I loved will no longer be there.

It's not like the Red Sox. 

If you were born between Portland and Hartford, the Red Sox are imbedded  in your DNA. 

The Pats are a guilty pleasure like crème brulee. It's delicious while it lasts but one doesn't absolutely need it.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

I'm still trying to understand why people think LIII was a boring game.

I've watched the complete game four times already, and frankly, the last three were the most enjoyable because i didn't have to sweat them out. 

I'm sure that I'll watch it again before the NFL Network stops repeating it.  That one touchdown drive was awesome, and the two punters played magnificently throughout while the kickers struggled a little bit.  (The name of the game IS "football.")

Great defensive play on both sides, close game until near the very end, and I'm not understanding what was so boring.

I even watched the parade twice. It had a local replay, too.

If you are a football purist the game was what you like, a defensive battle, with very little scoring. The problem is that the league has become such an offensive game that everyone was expecting a high scoring affair with 2 teams that do score often. I think it was more disappointment than it was a bad game. We were expecting ribeyes and baked potatoes and we got SOS. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The problem with having someone in the booth overseeing the game and deciding on reviews is the fact that there will always be controversy. You can't have everything be reviewable in today's hurried society so there will always be people that think they got screwed on a call.

As far as overtime goes, I don't think it is bad the way it is. It is certainly better than it was before. If you lose the coin flip and want to win, play some defense and stop the other team. I would hate for defense to become obsolete like it has in some college football games.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sorry I dropped out - of course calls will be missed but fewer will be missed, it will be better just like the current OT is better than the old one.

No more challenges which is a ridiculous system anyway - all come from the booth official who is getting a second look at everything because the time between plays in football is ridiculously slow anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We've got our Lombardi Trophy (for this year).

Now when do the pitchers and catchers report?

What I love about baseball season is that it's almost every night except for a few Mondays and Thursdays.

I need that.

It keeps me off of cable news which only makes me double up on my blood pressure and depression meds..

On 2/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, chisag said:

... After 2 back surgeries, foot and shoulder surgery from playing college football I told my son I wanted him to play other sports before even thinking about playing football and I wished he would not play football at all. He played soccer, basketball and I coached him as an all star every year he played baseball from 2nd grade thru his senior year in high school. Maybe the best pure hitter I have ever seen in person for his age but a mediocre fielder, he defiantly could have played baseball. But he came to me in the 7th grade and said he tried other sports and he knew it would disappoint me but he wanted to play football. I told him I was not disappointed at all and was glad he tried other sports as I asked before making a decision to play. 

... The irony is he became one of the reasons I think football is so dangerous. He was a DE/LB hybrid at 6'3" weighing 255lbs and ran a 4.59 forty. After training exclusively for football, he was so strong and very explosive and was pretty much at full speed in 3 steps. As AQB I was hit too many times to count but never by the kind of athletes playing today and have to shudder thinking about some of the hits I saw my son deliver to QB's in his college career. He knocked 3 of them out of games and quite a few more were limping or favoring a body part after being hit. My point is the game was not designed to be played by guys that are so big, so strong, so fast and so explosive. Tackling was an art of wrapping and driving or pulling to the ground an without face masks NOBODY used their head to make tackles. But equipment changed as well as the athletes and what is on the field today is just so radically different than the Championship teams of the 70's. And of course we now know that CTE is prevalent with todays equipment and players delivering such explosive hits as opposed to wrapping and tackling. He was offered a contract with the Colts who said he could be a special teams stalwart but would be given an opportunity to win a LB position. After refusing to learn about CTE in college, he read up on the subject and decided he had tempted fate enough and would rather be able to walk and think clearly when he gets older and turned them down. One of the best days of my life as a parent was knowing he could possibly play in the NFL but was smart enough to turn down the opportunity for his own future. Win-win for us. 

... I still think it is a great game, maybe the best team game there is for learning so many life lessons.  No other game combines such a wide array of body types and skill sets for different positions and with so many players on a team there will be completely different personality types learning to come together and play as one unit. They will run across 2 types of coaches that also give them life lessons. The bad coaches that think the players are there to help them win games or the good coaches that think they are there to help players win games, just like bosses they will work for in the future. And at early ages and thru most high schools (although some are factory programs with athletes playing near college level) it is still a game kids can safely play as long as they are coached correctly. That said I absolutely understand parents not allowing their kids to play football. 

My co-worker's son tore his MCL, ACL and Meniscus on the 3rd play of the state semi-final in December.  He had surgery at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in January.  The surgeon told my co-worker, the modern player at the highest levels of college and professional football experience the equivalent of a half-dozen car crashes during the course of a single game.  The average high school player a little less than half that amount but still, more than the human body is is meant to withstand. 

I personally believe football will look very different within our lifetime!

... I am not surprised. I watch the Illinois State Football Playoffs every year. They go from very small schools 1A to the largest schools at 8A. Pretty much 1A - 4A are kids around 200lbs max and many 150 or smaller. Lots of wrapping and pulling to the ground type of defense but very little explosive type hits, if any. But as they go from 5A to 8A you start to see much bigger athletes that have obviously gone thru weight training and speed/explosive speed programs hoping for scholarships and some of the hits are college level. Even though there are still wrappers and tacklers as opposed to hitters, it only takes a few on the field to do the kind of damage you describe. Watching the lower level 1A - 4A is a real treat and reminds me of the kind of football played in my youth. Lots of running, wrapping and tackling with very few, if any explosive hitting. But the upper level schools are playing a game that I agree with you will just have to look different in our lifetime. 

Kaep and Reid settled with the NFL. Radio guys are saying Kaep got $50M. No word on Reid. Supposed to be completely quiet. We'll see what information comes out. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

You are correct they have beaten many good teams in the playoffs, and you can’t simply do that without being very good. What S&B is saying is without 6 easy wins year in and year out, they don’t have to win very many other games throughout the season to get into the playoffs. Once there, anything can and does happen. If they were to play in a tougher division and let’s say they go 2-4 in that division, they must go at least 7-3 in the remaining games to possibly go to the playoffs at 9-7. It may not make a difference during the playoffs, but there are no other teams that can go 4-6 against the remainder of their schedule and still get in the playoffs. It’s alot easier to keep people healthy and rested when you only have to win 4 of 10 games. 

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Kaep and Reid settled with the NFL. Radio guys are saying Kaep got $50M. No word on Reid. Supposed to be completely quiet. We'll see what information comes out. 

Good for them but after the Kuchar thread we might want to keep our thoughts on this confidential as well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

On 2/15/2019 at 1:16 PM, dhartmann34 said:

Ridiculous. Shouldn't have gotten a penny. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Ridiculous. Shouldn't have gotten a penny. 
Collusion is illegal in the collective bargaining agreement....and they obviously had a case or the NFL wouldn't have paid out whatever they did.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

7 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

Collusion is illegal in the collective bargaining agreement....and they obviously had a case or the NFL wouldn't have paid out whatever they did.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not going to get into this here. It isn't the place. If you would like to discuss this further, I'd be happy to in a PM. 

Edited by GB13

Sooo....

combine starts soon and scouts have been hard at work. Soon, well, 2 months, the draft will be upon us. As usual I will be looking at all the talent that could possibly slip to #21, where the Hawks draft. And I will watch the entire draft blah blah, crossing off each guy as my list grows smaller and smaller. Then when it’s finally time for the Seahawks to pick a very exceptional player, they will announce that the Hawks have traded their pick, and will no longer be picking in the first round.

Again....  I realize more picks are thought to be better, but in my mind, they continually miss out on the big impact players

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

... The amount of research by the scouts, director of player personal, coaches and the GM is mind boggling. It has always been amazing to me that they have grades for every single player in the draft and can still get it so very wrong. It just shows how difficult it is to predict the jump from college to the NFL. Maybe the best player of my lifetime after only 1 year playing is Mahomes and almost everyone passed on drafting him. Knowing what we know now, he would be the 1st pick and trading several 1st round picks would be worth it if your team needed a franchise QB. And the amount of players drafted in the 1st round that are out of the league in 5 years just shows how difficult the draft can be. If I could trade two 1st round picks for a bona fide All Star that fills a need, I would do it every time. The Bears made a killer deal for Mack considering the 2 draft picks they traded will be late 1st rounders and they got a HOF player that fit a need. 

They are predicting the Lions to pickthe tight end out of Iowa. While that would help and minor need in the offense.(we need a tight end that can catch the ball). I think we have a greater need on the line, either line, or linebacker. With the talent of linemen that are in the top of this draft, it would be a shame to waste and 8 pick on a TE. We can get a TE in the 4th round if that’s a need to fill.

They are predicting the Lions to pickthe tight end out of Iowa. While that would help and minor need in the offense.(we need a tight end that can catch the ball). I think we have a greater need on the line, either line, or linebacker. With the talent of linemen that are in the top of this draft, it would be a shame to waste and 8 pick on a TE. We can get a TE in the 4th round if that’s a need to fill.
I honestly don't know much about the Lions needs but don't sleep on my boy Hockenson. A true 4 down tight end that will run block, stretch the middle with great hands, and cover punts on special teams if asked. I don't believe there has been a complete tight end like him to come out of college in a very long time. If only he would still be available when the Vikings pick all would be right in the world!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

13 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I honestly don't know much about the Lions needs but don't sleep on my boy Hockenson. A true 4 down tight end that will run block, stretch the middle with great hands, and cover punts on special teams if asked. I don't believe there has been a complete tight end like him to come out of college in a very long time. If only he would still be available when the Vikings pick all would be right in the world!

It’s definitley not a knock on Hockenson. He could fit in very well as we do need a tight end that can play 4 down. I just feel like we have bigger needs to fill on the O and D lines. As well as linebacker. If they do choose him I think he will be an excellent pick. The need for lineman is greater than the need for TE

3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I’m praying Hock falls to us at 21... the new Kelce ,or Kelse..

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

41 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Haha, old news in these parts.  In a strip mall no less.  

Spygate

Deflategate

Penetrategate

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

In Philly we consider winning the Super Bowl a happy ending....guess that is not the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

28 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I'll bet Goodell can't wait to see the evidence in this case.

Considering there is a video, I don't think Godell wants to see that evidence... 😬