Sluggo42

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Patriots have sustained excellence while others have not is the bottom line. I know this is a couple of years old but certain organizations rise to the top. Unless you are in the NFC South. I live in New England, I cheer for the Patriots and every year they trade a stud and we all think, damnit, why they get rid of him. Bottom line is they get rid of players to sustain that excellence and not overpay players. Guys leave and call the Patriots cheap. They go to teams that overpay and wonder why they don’t make the playoffs.

IMG_0077.PNG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I get why people hate the Patriots. I feel the same way about Bama and Clemson.

Your team sucks, these guys are great coaches, get wins and win championships.

Time to move on a appreciate the success of these coaches and players. I have. I came to realize that the Lions, Wolverines, Tigers, Wings... will never compete at an elite level. Who the hell wants to coach out of Detroit, or Ann Arbor? Or play for that matter.

My wolverines owned the pre WWII era of football, the lions? Well they ruined Barry Sanders. The Tigers... well maybe someday, and the Wings had their time. Oh I forgot the Pistons. They had their time too.

It’s all for entertainment anyways.

46 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Look at it like this. You can win a regional qualifier shooting 71 when everyone else is shooting 73's and 74's. While in another regional it takes a 68 to move on, so a 71 means you go home. There is some merit to playing in a weak regional. But get to the sectional and everyone is shooting 65's and 66's so you better have the game to shoot much lower under more pressure. If not you are going home. A 71 can get you there but you have to have the ability to beat much better players once you are there. So yea, a lower regional score can get you in the sectionals but you need to be much better to get to the National Championship. 

Precisely. I understood the supposed weak division claim all along. If they didn’t go anywhere after it would be valid.

In the end what division the Pats are in is irrelevant for a team with their conference and SB record. No other team comes close over the past 18 years, from any division. Attributing their SB record to their division is nonsense.

Edited by Middler

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I give up...

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I give up...

I dont think any of us are trying to take away what they are have done and continue to do, it’s just a much easier road to get there than it is for everyone else. Once they get there though, you have to watch out because they are the best at coming up with a plan to win. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Middler said:

Precisely. I understood the supposed weak division claim all along. If they didn’t go anywhere after it would be valid.

In the end what division the Pats are in is irrelevant for a team with their conference and SB record. No other team comes close over the past 18 years, from any division. Attributing their SB record to their division is nonsense.

It’s not nonsense, put them in a division where there have 3 other tougher teams, instead of 6 easy wins, they get 3-3, that means that inorder to get to the same 9-7 record that could get them into the playoffs they have to win 6 out of 10. Is it easier to win 4 out of 10, or 6 out of 10. The 6 wins gets them into the playoffs with ease, and we can all see what happens when they do get there. A tougher division might mean that they don’t make it to playoffs at all. So a weak division has to mean something. 

... I think we all understand it is easier to get to the playoffs if you are in a weak division. But that really assures you of nothing. Again the Bengals made it to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 but lost in the first round every single year. As a Bears fan with only 4 loses this year I know very well that winning the division means nothing once you are in the playoffs. 

Here's a different take on the matter, maybe the AFC East isn't as bad as we think they are? Maybe the Patriots are just that great. 

Since the Patriots began their run in 2001, they've been joined by another divisional team in the playoffs 8 times including their breakout 2001 season where both the Dolphins and Jets made it as the Wild Card teams. The Dolphins, Bills, and Jets take turns making the playoffs and even manage to advance on occasion. That's more than the Bengals can say. If the Patriots were representing the division alone all those years, I'd agree that it's a weak division but the fact that other teams are also finding their way in demonstrates the strength of the competition. 

It can't be easy having a generational team in your division. 2 matchups against the best team in the league each year would make it difficult for anybody. Recency bias makes it easy to overlook the AFC East but I'd caution against it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think we all understand it is easier to get to the playoffs if you are in a weak division. But that really assures you of nothing. Again the Bengals made it to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 but lost in the first round every single year. As a Bears fan with only 4 loses this year I know very well that winning the division means nothing once you are in the playoffs. 

This is correct, getting there for them is easier than others, once there, the have done some significant damage there is no doubt, but I guess what I am trying to say is that if they were in a tougher division, would they even have made the playoffs to begin with. There is no doubt that when the playoffs come around NE will be a very tough opponent regardless of there regular season record. 

Over the past 18 years, their record out of their division is actually slightly better than their record inside of their division. And that's with playing a First Place schedule virtually every year....

So there's that...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Over the past 18 years, their record out of their division is actually slightly better than their record inside of their division. And that's with playing a First Place schedule virtually every year....

So there's that...

I was just getting ready to add that.  The other thing is....

You make your own luck.  One of the reasons the AFC East is so bad is the Patriots have the other teams turning themselves upside down trying to catch them.  

The AFC East is weak because the Patriots have the other teams spinning in circles.   They've earned it.

• Like 2

Yes, but the weak division allows them essentially 6 wins. They average 5-1 in the division since 2003

Anyway I do understand where y’all are coming from. The have been dominant, and I did say that earlier. 

Found this on Reddit and I guess the argument could be made that the Jets, Bills and Dolphins are the ones that should be complaining that they get 2 losses every year because of the Patriots being in their division. They fair quite well outside of playing the Pats.

IMG_0078.PNG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm still trying to understand why people think LIII was a boring game.

I've watched the complete game four times already, and frankly, the last three were the most enjoyable because i didn't have to sweat them out. 

I'm sure that I'll watch it again before the NFL Network stops repeating it.  That one touchdown drive was awesome, and the two punters played magnificently throughout while the kickers struggled a little bit.  (The name of the game IS "football.")

Great defensive play on both sides, close game until near the very end, and I'm not understanding what was so boring.

I even watched the parade twice. It had a local replay, too.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 10:56 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

It seems to fall on socio-political lines.  Football still flourishes in parts of the nation with different views than ours on other things as well.  Just an observation.

I believe it's more of a safety issue, not socio-political. I'd rather have my kids play any other sport  (well maybe except for Rugby) then football. 

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I've watched the complete game four times already, and frankly, the last three were the most enjoyable because i didn't have to sweat them out. 

I'm sure that I'll watch it again before the NFL Network stops repeating it.  That one touchdown drive was awesome, and the two punters played magnificently throughout while the kickers struggled a little bit.  (The name of the game IS "football.")

Great defensive play on both sides, close game until near the very end, and I'm not understanding what was so boring.

It was a great defensive battle. Right or wrong, most people like high scoring more than low. Casual/social fans don't understand the nuance of great defense. Everyone understands long runs, long passes, touchdowns and interceptions.

I thought it was a boring game while watching, because the Rams and the Patriots are documented high scoring teams. I'd be willing to bet no one would have ever guessed LIII would be 3-0 at halftime.

But late in the game and in retrospect, I came to appreciate the defense both teams put on the field. Brady didn't distinguish himself by any means, and Goff had a horrible day. Just not what we all expected?

Edited by Middler

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

I believe it's more of a safety issue, not socio-political. I'd rather have my kids play any other sport  (well maybe except for Rugby) then football. 

... After 2 back surgeries, foot and shoulder surgery from playing college football I told my son I wanted him to play other sports before even thinking about playing football and I wished he would not play football at all. He played soccer, basketball and I coached him as an all star every year he played baseball from 2nd grade thru his senior year in high school. Maybe the best pure hitter I have ever seen in person for his age but a mediocre fielder, he defiantly could have played baseball. But he came to me in the 7th grade and said he tried other sports and he knew it would disappoint me but he wanted to play football. I told him I was not disappointed at all and was glad he tried other sports as I asked before making a decision to play. 

... The irony is he became one of the reasons I think football is so dangerous. He was a DE/LB hybrid at 6'3" weighing 255lbs and ran a 4.59 forty. After training exclusively for football, he was so strong and very explosive and was pretty much at full speed in 3 steps. As AQB I was hit too many times to count but never by the kind of athletes playing today and have to shudder thinking about some of the hits I saw my son deliver to QB's in his college career. He knocked 3 of them out of games and quite a few more were limping or favoring a body part after being hit. My point is the game was not designed to be played by guys that are so big, so strong, so fast and so explosive. Tackling was an art of wrapping and driving or pulling to the ground an without face masks NOBODY used their head to make tackles. But equipment changed as well as the athletes and what is on the field today is just so radically different than the Championship teams of the 70's. And of course we now know that CTE is prevalent with todays equipment and players delivering such explosive hits as opposed to wrapping and tackling. He was offered a contract with the Colts who said he could be a special teams stalwart but would be given an opportunity to win a LB position. After refusing to learn about CTE in college, he read up on the subject and decided he had tempted fate enough and would rather be able to walk and think clearly when he gets older and turned them down. One of the best days of my life as a parent was knowing he could possibly play in the NFL but was smart enough to turn down the opportunity for his own future. Win-win for us. 

... I still think it is a great game, maybe the best team game there is for learning so many life lessons.  No other game combines such a wide array of body types and skill sets for different positions and with so many players on a team there will be completely different personality types learning to come together and play as one unit. They will run across 2 types of coaches that also give them life lessons. The bad coaches that think the players are there to help them win games or the good coaches that think they are there to help players win games, just like bosses they will work for in the future. And at early ages and thru most high schools (although some are factory programs with athletes playing near college level) it is still a game kids can safely play as long as they are coached correctly. That said I absolutely understand parents not allowing their kids to play football. 

• Like 3

I can see logic in everything chisag says above.

I basically stopped liking football as a sport with the Tatum hit on Stingley back in the 70s.

I absolutely HATE the NFL as an organization (as do most Patriot fans).

I just love the Brady/Belichick era Patriots.

I love how they play in the middle of the field, inside the numbers, with those precise, short passes.

I love the ten and twelve play sustained drives.

I love how Belichick gives the sportswriters the respect that they deserve in the post game press conferences.

I love how Gronk is a seven foot, three hundred pound nine year old. He makes us all laugh.

I love how the Pats enrage Middle America after Middle America enraged me over other things.

It's entirely likely that when the dynasty is officially over, I'll never watch another football  game  again because the things that I loved will no longer be there.

It's not like the Red Sox. 

If you were born between Portland and Hartford, the Red Sox are imbedded  in your DNA. 

The Pats are a guilty pleasure like crème brulee. It's delicious while it lasts but one doesn't absolutely need it.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

I even watched the parade twice. It had a local replay, too.

If you are a football purist the game was what you like, a defensive battle, with very little scoring. The problem is that the league has become such an offensive game that everyone was expecting a high scoring affair with 2 teams that do score often. I think it was more disappointment than it was a bad game. We were expecting ribeyes and baked potatoes and we got SOS. 

The problem with having someone in the booth overseeing the game and deciding on reviews is the fact that there will always be controversy. You can't have everything be reviewable in today's hurried society so there will always be people that think they got screwed on a call.

As far as overtime goes, I don't think it is bad the way it is. It is certainly better than it was before. If you lose the coin flip and want to win, play some defense and stop the other team. I would hate for defense to become obsolete like it has in some college football games.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sorry I dropped out - of course calls will be missed but fewer will be missed, it will be better just like the current OT is better than the old one.

No more challenges which is a ridiculous system anyway - all come from the booth official who is getting a second look at everything because the time between plays in football is ridiculously slow anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy