Sluggo42

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

not sure who is running the show in Oak-egas, but this one is a head scratcher.  I know they want to put butts in the seats and get some enthusiasm for the team but 3rd and 5th round picks for a team looking to rebuild its franchise are pretty valuable.

And what happened to Osemele?  I know he's older and all but losing a vet on the OLine is tough.

Gruden and Mayock are running the show. It's not really a head scratcher since they traded their #1 WR and needed another one.

a 3rd and fifth is nothing for the best WR in the game.

Osemele is a power scheme blocker. Tom Cable is a zone guy who needed zone blockers. They just needed a better fit to their run game and osemele has value. I just wish they got a higher pick out of it.

1 hour ago, Slap said:

Gruden and Mayock are running the show. It's not really a head scratcher since they traded their #1 WR and needed another one.

a 3rd and fifth is nothing for the best WR in the game.

Osemele is a power scheme blocker. Tom Cable is a zone guy who needed zone blockers. They just needed a better fit to their run game and osemele has value. I just wish they got a higher pick out of it.

I'm not so sure he is the best WR in the game right now. I'd take DeAndre Hopkins over AB. To tell you the truth, I'm more excited over the trade for Trent Brown than I am for Antonio Brown.

The real head scratcher is why Tom Cable is the line coach..... and Greg Olson is O coordinator because???? 

You might be more sold on Gruden than I am. I didn't want him back, but it is what it is and I guess we'll see how it plays out.

6 hours ago, silver & black said:

I'm not so sure he is the best WR in the game right now. I'd take DeAndre Hopkins over AB. To tell you the truth, I'm more excited over the trade for Trent Brown than I am for Antonio Brown.

The real head scratcher is why Tom Cable is the line coach..... and Greg Olson is O coordinator because???? 

You might be more sold on Gruden than I am. I didn't want him back, but it is what it is and I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Hopkins is smooth but the texans are treating him right. I feel you on Cable, but he and Gruden are what the Raiders are rolling with so lets see how this year plays out. 

I just hope the first rounders are all on defense in this draft.

Was your screen name the some on the inside the oakland raiders blog that Jerry McD and Crokran used to run?

Posted (edited)

... I'll add my 2 cents, well maybe just a penny. Gruden let go one of the most team oriented and humble stars in the game. Now he brings in someone that doesn't care about winning as much as being a star and has a huge ego. It doesn't really matter what Gruden thinks or what us fans think. The team knows Gruden made the trades and exactly what their locker room chemistry is like. They will be the key. 

Btw Slap, I love a fan that backs his team and waits to see how things work out before rushing to judgement. Too many Bears fans are doom and gloom for everything and think every team should be compared to the 85 Bears. 

Edited by chisag

15 hours ago, Slap said:

I disagree, Ben did his talking through the Radio and then lately the GM. I bet he just ignored AB. Tomlin's lack of calling out brown and the GM who gave e raises every year the past three years also added fire to the AB ego train. Read Peter King's FMIA on profootball talk for a better perspective.

I'll admit that Ben talking through radio was never the smartest decision, but as someone who follows the team closely it was never left at that. Many of his teammates talk about how Ben is always in position meetings and working with others. I agree that it also falls on Tomlin for treating AB certain ways, hindsight's 20/20.

Really curious to see how Brown does with the Raiders and how he'll respond if he's held to the same expectations as everyone else. With him it's never about the team. It's now about the individual.

3 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Really curious to see how Brown does with the Raiders and how he'll respond if he's held to the same expectations as everyone else. With him it's never about the team. It's now about the individual.

Me as well, I'm a realistic fan and this could blow up and quickly. I didn't like the Gruden hire but here we are and they better start winning.

• Like 2

Hey. I am really happy with the moves that my Lions made. They actually addressed some key needs on offense and defense through FA. That has really never happened before. The only signing that is questionable was Danny A, but I think that 1 year deal is more for locker room help than anything, he knows the system that Patricia is trying to run, so he can help some of the other receivers learn it faster, and he can still catch the ball, his numbers won’t be huge, but it’s the off the field numbers that won’t be seen that will have a bigger impact. The big signing of Trey Flowers was massive for the Lions. Also a Tight End that should be able to really help. They did good this time, excited for the season 

3 hours ago, Slap said:

Me as well, I'm a realistic fan and this could blow up and quickly. I didn't like the Gruden hire but here we are and they better start winning.

Yep!

Does Nick Foles going to the Jags make them a solid contender this season? That seems to be the position that they were needed filled, they have about as good a running game as you can find, so Foles should fit them pretty well. 

• Like 1

Does Nick Foles going to the Jags make them a solid contender this season? That seems to be the position that they were needed filled, they have about as good a running game as you can find, so Foles should fit them pretty well. 
I would say if their defense can get back to what they were 2 years ago then they are absolutely a contender with Foles. If their defense plays like they did this last year then they will have a hard time because Foles isn't going to outscore anybody in a shootout with them.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I would say if their defense can get back to what they were 2 years ago then they are absolutely a contender with Foles. If their defense plays like they did this last year then they will have a hard time because Foles isn't going to outscore anybody in a shootout with them.

... Yup. I am of the belief to win playoff games in the NFL, sooner or later your QB has to mount a game wining drive when everyone knows he is throwing the ball. Foles isn't gonna win a shootout but he has proven he can produce that game winning drive. Many teams don't have that QB and it is why an above average but not franchise NFL QB is so valuable. When you have a Carr, Stafford, Cutler or Goff, you have to hang on to them until you find a better QB. Sure, every fan wants a Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Luck or Mahomes but they are so few and far between. It is almost a curse to have that above average QB but not franchise QB and fans don't like it, but watching the Bears 50 starting QB's, and almost all of them well below average, ya gotta hang on to the Foles of the NFL. Unless you hit the jackpot with a franchise QB. While the Bears were starting 50 QB's, the Packers were starting 2: Favre and Rodgers. And the records for those years are obvious. 

• Like 2

Hey. I am really happy with the moves that my Lions made. They actually addressed some key needs on offense and defense through FA. That has really never happened before. The only signing that is questionable was Danny A, but I think that 1 year deal is more for locker room help than anything, he knows the system that Patricia is trying to run, so he can help some of the other receivers learn it faster, and he can still catch the ball, his numbers won’t be huge, but it’s the off the field numbers that won’t be seen that will have a bigger impact. The big signing of Trey Flowers was massive for the Lions. Also a Tight End that should be able to really help. They did good this time, excited for the season 

Jesse James is underrated at te. Solid player with good hands and does well blocking. I’ll miss him in Pit

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think it depends on what system they run. If they have him drop back and throw them no. Doug Pederson set him up well for success in Philly with a lot of run/pass option. If they play to his strengths they’ll do well.

Tom Cable is a horrid line coach, and i know from the 5 years he spent in Seattle. I cheered the day he was fired

• Like 1

Leveon Bell is a Jet. Sadly he signed for less than what the Steelers offered him. Glad they're both gone though.

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yup. I am of the belief to win playoff games in the NFL, sooner or later your QB has to mount a game wining drive when everyone knows he is throwing the ball. Foles isn't gonna win a shootout but he has proven he can produce that game winning drive. Many teams don't have that QB and it is why an above average but not franchise NFL QB is so valuable. When you have a Carr, Stafford, Cutler or Goff, you have to hang on to them until you find a better QB. Sure, every fan wants a Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Luck or Mahomes but they are so few and far between. It is almost a curse to have that above average QB but not franchise QB and fans don't like it, but watching the Bears 50 starting QB's, and almost all of them well below average, ya gotta hang on to the Foles of the NFL. Unless you hit the jackpot with a franchise QB. While the Bears were starting 50 QB's, the Packers were starting 2: Favre and Rodgers. And the records for those years are obvious. 

Exactly. True franchise QB's are hard to find, and they don't come along very often. It will interesting to see what Carr can do with weapons and protection. He was sacked 51 times last year. It's hard to throw the ball from the ground.

10 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I think it depends on what system they run. If they have him drop back and throw them no. Doug Pederson set him up well for success in Philly with a lot of run/pass option. If they play to his strengths they’ll do well.

They run the ball a ton, I think Foles gives them and accurate passer to go along with that running game, it will be interesting to watch how they use him in the offense. They could contend with him as the QB. If nothing else if will give them a passing game that they sorely lacked over the last couple seasons with Bortles. 

Posted (edited)

Lets go CHICAGO!!!!  I've been a Bears fan all my life (I'm 43 now).  When I started liking football was prime 84/85 Bears time.  I was a QB and wanted to be Jimmy Mac!  That entire team was loaded from top to bottom.  Walter, Dent, Singletary, Hampton, Gault etc. 

I am so glad we didn't get L. Bell!  We are a young team that plays for each other!  I think the Browns are going to make a playoff run with all their acquisitions, but they still won't be able to keep up with DA BEARS!!!

Edited by ballplayer002003
  • Like 2

I am originally from Cincinnati and have watched the Bengals since they first started but this is the first time in years where I thought they were diligently working toward getting the Number 1 draft pick in 2020 by doing nothing in 2019. They have made zero moves that makes any sense to me!!!