Sign in to follow this  
Markelly82

DIY Putting Green Build

I just recently purchased a home with 3.08 acres.  The house is mainly on the front portion of the yard and the back is mainly open to my imagination.  I'm interested in putting in a putting green in my backyard.  I'd prefer real grass turf rather than the fake stuff.  I live in Central Indiana so I'd also like types on good quality grass that will last the sucky winters.  I'd like a fairly sized green with fringe and a small fairwayish to chip from.   I also planned on having tee boxes throughout my yard to be able to hit into the green.  I know I can youtube some of this, but don't feel like there's super great videos on this.        

Has anyone done their own green?  What were some of your issues you ran into?  What were your costs (if you don't mind sharing)?  Any tips for mosquito's?  My yard currently sucks with them, and would prefer not surrounding the yard with tiki torches.  

Thank you for your thoughts and input.  

• Like 1

I've been back and forth on this as well and came to the conclusion that since I live on the course I should just go the extra 50yds and putt on 12 green in the evening instead of trying to make my own.  I do know one other house in the neighborhood that has an outdoor green, but he went fake turf and it seems to hold up well.

One thing to think about if you go with real grass and want a true putting green is the mowing.  You're going to need an actual putting green mower and those things aren't cheap.  Not to mention maintaining the watering, aeration, weed control etc.  Those are things beyond just the cost of building that you need to factor in.

As for mosquito's...I'm in MN so have some experience in dealing with them.  Here's what I've found effective.  Deet, get bug spray with it and coat yourself.  You can also try yard spray you hook up to your hose.  I use the Cutter Bug Free Backyard spray and it seems to help but nothing is 100%.  You can also look in to local mosquito control companies.  They'll come out and spray your yard every couple weeks and it works great, just gets a little more expensive for the whole summer.

If you decide to go this route I can't wait to hear about the process.  Best of luck on the project.

• Like 2

One thing to think about if you go with real grass and want a true putting green is the mowing.  You're going to need an actual putting green mower and those things aren't cheap.  Not to mention maintaining the watering, aeration, weed control etc.  Those are things beyond just the cost of building that you need to factor in.

Came to say this. If you really want a backyard putting green, go synthetic, because all the time you want to putt and chip you'll be maintaining the real green. It's a daily job.

• Like 3

I would honestly recommend going fake turf. The amount of work and cost that would go into a full grass green might outweigh the benefits of real grass over fake grass. But you need research the right type of fake turf, that turf might be a big upfront cost but will be helpful in the long run.

You can just mow some short grass and call it a tee and fairway, so that isn't to bad.

For mosquitos, smother yourself in DEET, it is the only thing that works. There are personal spray chemicals like Meyer mentioned but to truly eradicate mosquitos you need to get a mosquito control company plus deet.

• Like 1

If interested you could check out "fried eggs golf" on youtube. He and his dad built a bentgrass (i think) putting green is his backyard and he has a series of videos talking about the construction of the green and the upkeep work involved  as well as costs of equipment they had to buy and what they would have done differently knwoing what they know now. They dont go crazy in depth but definietly some things to be learned from that maybe hours worth of videos. Also he is located in indiana so they'd have faced the same problems you'd mentioned in your post. Love to see your progress if you go through with it, good luck!

• Like 6

It's already been said, but came to caution you about the time, effort and cost of maintaining your own green. 

The guy from Fried Eggs Golf built his own with his parents and has some videos about it. Below is just one of them, but I'm sure he'd respond if you wanted to reach out for more details. From what I know it's almost exactly what you are looking to build. He did it on his parents land and I think his dad is retired and does the upkeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q01cQBSR9Y

EDIT: Man, 5 minutes late to recommend FEG - leaving it because why not.

• Like 3

Fake and it's not even close...unless you're retired and have a lot of free time. 

My neighbor has a backyard green and it's held up well as long as he gets the leaf blower after to it to clear all the pine straw. I don't like chipping from fake turf so maybe if you wanted to spend your time and effort on natural grass hitting areas, that could be a good balance. 

+1 on Fried Eggs golf videos. It's a great series and will definitely teach you all the ins and outs of natural turf greens. It can be done...but man the money and labor investment is a lot higher than I could ever imagine. 

• Like 2

Yeah I've watched a lot of Fried Eggs Golf videos.  I love his videos.  They're all funny and strangely educational without realizing it.  I did watch the videos on the green build and their biggest cost was the mower.  They spent about $500 in total for the project. 

He actually lives in Ft. Wayne and I moved to Muncie/Yorktown area, which is only 40-60 minutes from him.  I invited him down to play and he called Muncie lazy.  Not sure what that had to do with playing, but I'm determined to get him down here to play.  Also, would love an invite to Beverly's Hills.  One day maybe.    

• Like 1

Synthetic is the way to go, especially in a northern state. As mentioned, the most work you will have to do it is use a blower to get the leaves & sticks off it once a week. As for mosquitos, most pest control companies will spray the perimeter of your yard to keep them at bay. 

has anyone found outdoor carpet capable of a home made build putting green. My buddy had yaught carpet in his basement and was mint, not sure what it would be like in the weather

Ben Crane started a crazy trend by saying that Toyota Camry trunk carpet is a great indoor putting surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ben Crane started a crazy trend by saying that Toyota Camry trunk carpet is a great indoor putting surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think I saw a DIY indoor green where they made a 2x4/plywood platform and used a gray auto carpet. 

I think I saw a DIY indoor green where they made a 2x4/plywood platform and used a gray auto carpet. 

Specifically the gray toyota camry trunk carpet.   Was discussed a few years ago

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-crane-touts-toyota-camry-trunk-carpet-as-the-best-indoor-putting-surface-seriously

I personally have not my own green, but my friend from CT has it's own. As you have mentioned that you prefer real grass stuff and not the fake one, so you need to be careful about the grass. As grass should be grown to a certain level so you should regularly trim it. Having a green yard always has the risk of pests wandering here and there. Pests will try every possible way to harm your plants in the yard, so you should keep a check on it regularly. As you are facing the problem of mosquitoes in your yard, you can try using some sprays or sprinkling some essential oils or can also use some Indian neem oil. Maintaining a green on your own is a big responsibility. You should use natural insect repellents, beneficial insects, traps to protect your yard from pests. One can also try taking the help of professional Pest Control Milford CT that use eco-friendly chemicals, my friend has called them for her help.