TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Putting Green Build

I just recently purchased a home with 3.08 acres.  The house is mainly on the front portion of the yard and the back is mainly open to my imagination.  I'm interested in putting in a putting green in my backyard.  I'd prefer real grass turf rather than the fake stuff.  I live in Central Indiana so I'd also like types on good quality grass that will last the sucky winters.  I'd like a fairly sized green with fringe and a small fairwayish to chip from.   I also planned on having tee boxes throughout my yard to be able to hit into the green.  I know I can youtube some of this, but don't feel like there's super great videos on this.        

Has anyone done their own green?  What were some of your issues you ran into?  What were your costs (if you don't mind sharing)?  Any tips for mosquito's?  My yard currently sucks with them, and would prefer not surrounding the yard with tiki torches.  

Thank you for your thoughts and input.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

I've been back and forth on this as well and came to the conclusion that since I live on the course I should just go the extra 50yds and putt on 12 green in the evening instead of trying to make my own.  I do know one other house in the neighborhood that has an outdoor green, but he went fake turf and it seems to hold up well.

One thing to think about if you go with real grass and want a true putting green is the mowing.  You're going to need an actual putting green mower and those things aren't cheap.  Not to mention maintaining the watering, aeration, weed control etc.  Those are things beyond just the cost of building that you need to factor in.

As for mosquito's...I'm in MN so have some experience in dealing with them.  Here's what I've found effective.  Deet, get bug spray with it and coat yourself.  You can also try yard spray you hook up to your hose.  I use the Cutter Bug Free Backyard spray and it seems to help but nothing is 100%.  You can also look in to local mosquito control companies.  They'll come out and spray your yard every couple weeks and it works great, just gets a little more expensive for the whole summer.

If you decide to go this route I can't wait to hear about the process.  Best of luck on the project.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

One thing to think about if you go with real grass and want a true putting green is the mowing.  You're going to need an actual putting green mower and those things aren't cheap.  Not to mention maintaining the watering, aeration, weed control etc.  Those are things beyond just the cost of building that you need to factor in.

Came to say this. If you really want a backyard putting green, go synthetic, because all the time you want to putt and chip you'll be maintaining the real green. It's a daily job.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I would honestly recommend going fake turf. The amount of work and cost that would go into a full grass green might outweigh the benefits of real grass over fake grass. But you need research the right type of fake turf, that turf might be a big upfront cost but will be helpful in the long run.

You can just mow some short grass and call it a tee and fairway, so that isn't to bad.

For mosquitos, smother yourself in DEET, it is the only thing that works. There are personal spray chemicals like Meyer mentioned but to truly eradicate mosquitos you need to get a mosquito control company plus deet.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If interested you could check out "fried eggs golf" on youtube. He and his dad built a bentgrass (i think) putting green is his backyard and he has a series of videos talking about the construction of the green and the upkeep work involved  as well as costs of equipment they had to buy and what they would have done differently knwoing what they know now. They dont go crazy in depth but definietly some things to be learned from that maybe hours worth of videos. Also he is located in indiana so they'd have faced the same problems you'd mentioned in your post. Love to see your progress if you go through with it, good luck!

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

It's already been said, but came to caution you about the time, effort and cost of maintaining your own green. 

The guy from Fried Eggs Golf built his own with his parents and has some videos about it. Below is just one of them, but I'm sure he'd respond if you wanted to reach out for more details. From what I know it's almost exactly what you are looking to build. He did it on his parents land and I think his dad is retired and does the upkeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q01cQBSR9Y

EDIT: Man, 5 minutes late to recommend FEG - leaving it because why not.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Fake and it's not even close...unless you're retired and have a lot of free time. 

My neighbor has a backyard green and it's held up well as long as he gets the leaf blower after to it to clear all the pine straw. I don't like chipping from fake turf so maybe if you wanted to spend your time and effort on natural grass hitting areas, that could be a good balance. 

+1 on Fried Eggs golf videos. It's a great series and will definitely teach you all the ins and outs of natural turf greens. It can be done...but man the money and labor investment is a lot higher than I could ever imagine. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Yeah I've watched a lot of Fried Eggs Golf videos.  I love his videos.  They're all funny and strangely educational without realizing it.  I did watch the videos on the green build and their biggest cost was the mower.  They spent about $500 in total for the project. 

He actually lives in Ft. Wayne and I moved to Muncie/Yorktown area, which is only 40-60 minutes from him.  I invited him down to play and he called Muncie lazy.  Not sure what that had to do with playing, but I'm determined to get him down here to play.  Also, would love an invite to Beverly's Hills.  One day maybe.    

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Synthetic is the way to go, especially in a northern state. As mentioned, the most work you will have to do it is use a blower to get the leaves & sticks off it once a week. As for mosquitos, most pest control companies will spray the perimeter of your yard to keep them at bay. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

has anyone found outdoor carpet capable of a home made build putting green. My buddy had yaught carpet in his basement and was mint, not sure what it would be like in the weather

Family , golf , fitness , tournaments, and yes work. Golf junky.  

Ben Crane started a crazy trend by saying that Toyota Camry trunk carpet is a great indoor putting surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

Ben Crane started a crazy trend by saying that Toyota Camry trunk carpet is a great indoor putting surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think I saw a DIY indoor green where they made a 2x4/plywood platform and used a gray auto carpet. 

I think I saw a DIY indoor green where they made a 2x4/plywood platform and used a gray auto carpet. 

Specifically the gray toyota camry trunk carpet.   Was discussed a few years ago

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-crane-touts-toyota-camry-trunk-carpet-as-the-best-indoor-putting-surface-seriously

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 month later...

I personally have not my own green, but my friend from CT has it's own. As you have mentioned that you prefer real grass stuff and not the fake one, so you need to be careful about the grass. As grass should be grown to a certain level so you should regularly trim it. Having a green yard always has the risk of pests wandering here and there. Pests will try every possible way to harm your plants in the yard, so you should keep a check on it regularly. As you are facing the problem of mosquitoes in your yard, you can try using some sprays or sprinkling some essential oils or can also use some Indian neem oil. Maintaining a green on your own is a big responsibility. You should use natural insect repellents, beneficial insects, traps to protect your yard from pests. One can also try taking the help of professional Pest Control Milford CT that use eco-friendly chemicals, my friend has called them for her help.

I found this online that maybe of assistance to those that want to build their own indoor green.

PuttingGreen.pdf

• 6 months later...

I would love to install a synthetic putting green in my backyard.  I have seen it done different ways, but I haven't found a definitive solution that gives me the confidence to spend the money on the turf.  It seems you could spend the same amount on a putting green as you could a swimming pool.  

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

3 hours ago, Txmason123 said:

but I haven't found a definitive solution that gives me the confidence to spend the money on the turf. 

Some smart guy once said: "the best pool, boat.... ehem, putting green I ever had was mt best friends". 😉

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 hours ago, Txmason123 said:

I would love to install a synthetic putting green in my backyard.  I have seen it done different ways, but I haven't found a definitive solution that gives me the confidence to spend the money on the turf.  It seems you could spend the same amount on a putting green as you could a swimming pool.  

My brother-in-law installed a synthetic turf green about 4 years ago and it put it too close to trees and his turf is need of replacement. It gets worn out, washed out from the rain, sap from the trees, etc. Unless you cover it/protect it from the elements, then you'll need to replace the turf more often than you think, especially if you live in a harsh climate with cold winters or really hot/wet summers. 

• Lefty

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, jlukes said:

My basement green is almost complete. Putting surface gets installed today or tomorrow 

IMG_20190905_084030.jpg

I may have missed it, but what are you going to use as the surface? My goal this winter is to build one, too.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

23 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Toyota Camry trunk carpeting.  Seriously.  Do a google search of camry putting green.  Best bang for the buck

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

31 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Toyota Camry trunk carpeting.  Seriously.  Do a google search of camry putting green.  Best bang for the buck

Dang ol Ben Crane tip right there! 

• Lefty

23 hours ago, jlukes said:

@jlukes Can you share a link as to where you purchased the carpet? 

• Lefty

35 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Done! Rolls so nice 

I bet it does.  Size and can you setup breaking putts?

Now you need to add this:  https://www.puttview.com/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 x 8
There's some slight natural breaks due to the floor. Really the perfect amount. More to groove stroke than practice breaking putts anyway 

Looks good. Much more sustainable during NE winters as well

Does the Camry kit include instructions on how to adhere to the osb?
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

26 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Looks good. Much more sustainable during NE winters as well emoji1360.png

Does the Camry kit include instructions on how to adhere to the osb?

No. I used carpet adhesive. Only an extremely thin layer is needed. If I were to do it again I might look at alternatives so I don't have any bleed through like I got. 

No big deal, goo gone and scrubbing got most of it out and it doesn't affect the roll