TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you have a club that changed your game?

PAgolfer2017

I was thinking about this today during my round. Up until recently, I never felt comfortable with shots outside of 170 yards. In some instances, I'd even pull a club that would get me close to the green and try to scramble. Ended up picking up a Callaway Great Big Bertha Heavenwood, and it filled that 170-210 yard gap for me. I can choke down and put an easy swing on it and hit it 180, or I can take a full shot and get it around 200/205. And it's stupid easy to hit too. Ever since I put it in the bag, I can use it to tee off on short par 4's or hit it with my 2nd shot on long par 5's. It's helped shave some strokes off my rounds.

Anyone else have a club that changed their game?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 iron for sure.

I now have a confident fairway finder and good club to hit out of the fairway and rough. Had a hybrid that I lost 4 shots a round because of nasty hooks.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Great thread! I actually have 2. My driver & my 58* wedge.

The upgrade from the original G driver with regular-flex to the G400 SFT with stiff-flex was a supreme change. More fairways hit and some added distance too. The feel of it as well as the better sound it makes gives me confidence every time it comes out.

These Glide 2.0 wedges (especially the 58*) are superb. I am still challenged in finding greens-in-regulation so I scramble a lot around them and seem to have it in my hand on most every hole. It made sense to me that upgrading my wedges from the stock ones that came with my iron set was the smart play. I did a lot of research here and on YouTube specifically on the Glides and couldn't be happier. I get way better performance, closer shots and even made a chip-in par with it along with several near misses. I love that club!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'd love to say it's me and not the clubs, but as a devote club ho that goes against all of my purchasing habits.

Since switching to Cleveland CBX irons though I dropped 3 strokes off my handicap this season and this is far and away the best I've ever played irons.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My Nike SQ II 3 & 5 wood. Reshafted both and rarely miss hit them. Stable and solid. They will never leave the bag, only get periodic shaft upgrades.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

bought a 58° Cleveland lob wedge on sale at Edwin Watts about a year ago.  I was struggling mightily with 50-85 yards shots and was inconsistent as you can be; chunks, blades, whatever.  But there is something about this lob wedge where I just have supreme confidence that any shot around 60 yards or so is going to be within 10 feet of the hole.

It makes a huge difference now when I have that distance and just don't even think about it and grab the 58° and let it work it's magic.  I was about a 7 handicap when I bought this thing and I was recently down to about a 3.8 index.  Although with my next revision I am creeping back up towards a 5.   :(   But I will say that the handicap index has next to nothing to do with my lob wedge.

That's what is frustrating and great about this game, all at the same time.  Once you think you've mastered a certain shot, or a certain aspect of your game, the other part of your game that you had previously fixed goes to hell in a handbasket.  So you start focusing on fixing that.  Then you seemingly master it, and then another area of your game falls apart.

It's a never ending roller coaster of fix this, fix that, fix this, fix that.  It's frustrating because it never ends, but it's also great, because if we could master this game, where would be the challenge, which in my opinion makes golf a great sport, because even the best players in the world never master it, and you'll spend your entire life trying to improve.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I am not there yet, but whatever I finally settle on between my 5i and 3w will be it. I have a 3 ironwood and a 4 hybrid that should do it if I can figure out how to hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I told this in my review but the “club” that changed my game wasn't a club at all. It was a Laser Range Finder. Specifically it was the Precision Pro NX7 PRO. A truly redundant name.

Know the exact distance to the flag changed me from hitting to the front and letting it run out to changing my swing for more spin, firing it right at the flag.

It also caused me to change the clubs and bag set up.

Instead of feeling like I need to be inside 100, I now feel like I just need to be inside 175. This makes driving easier.

I have gone to using more club and a more controlled swing. I've had great results the last couple of weeks since fully committing to this. But still have a long way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Definitely my Ping Sigma G Tyne putter. Regardless of the course or greens all I need to do is just get on the green and I know I have a good shot at sinking the putt!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My #3 hybrid is the best purchase I made in my entire bag. Gets me out of trouble and it is always reliable...it's my favorite club in the bag.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

When I was a kid,

brand new to golf,

my first 5-wood was a revelation. 

It had been 1, 2, 3, 4;   2-9;   SW,  putter  with my hand-me-down clubs back then. 

I replaced driver and 3-iron with PW and 5-wood, keeping 2-iron and 2-wood as driving clubs.

I didn't have adult strength yet, so fairway woods and long irons into greens weren't that uncommon.

The 5-wood took a couple of blows off my scorecard by itself.

Great thread! I actually have 2. My driver & my 58* wedge.

The upgrade from the original G driver with regular-flex to the G400 SFT with stiff-flex was a supreme change. More fairways hit and some added distance too. The feel of it as well as the better sound it makes gives me confidence every time it comes out.

These Glide 2.0 wedges (especially the 58*) are superb. I am still challenged in finding greens-in-regulation so I scramble a lot around them and seem to have it in my hand on most every hole. It made sense to me that upgrading my wedges from the stock ones that came with my iron set was the smart play. I did a lot of research here and on YouTube specifically on the Glides and couldn't be happier. I get way better performance, closer shots and even made a chip-in par with it along with several near misses. I love that club!

I never had the G, but I remember the G30. Night and day difference with the G400

My Evnroll ER2.

I have never been more confident on the greens.

There's a reason I say it will be buried with me

Love mine too. Finally getting comfortable with it.

Had a distance gap and struggled hitting my 4 iron, so I picked up a callaway Xr 5 wood and it might be my new favourite club.

Also trying out a new putter , Ray cook sr500 , looks exactly

Like a spider and so far really liking it.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Cobra F7 3 wood with a adila driver shaft. Didn't really change my game because it only gets used about four times around. I can always count on the distance and ball flight out of almost any lie. I'm pretty sure if you gave me a case of these things I could sale them all day on the range. It replaced a Ping G20

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Had a distance gap and struggled hitting my 4 iron, so I picked up a callaway Xr 5 wood and it might be my new favourite club.

Also trying out a new putter , Ray cook sr500 , looks exactly

Like a spider and so far really liking it.

My father in law is the same way with his xr16 5 wood. He hits it so well and so consistent... Almost too well because he will take it out of the bag for shots ranging from 160-190 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Currently in the bag? My 60 - it would be easy enough to replace every other club with something in my closet and do fine with it.

There's no way that I could survive at my club in current conditions without my specific 60 - I'd be scouring eBay if I lost it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I first bagged the Square Strike Wedge it was a love/hate type relationship.  Once I put  in the work to gain confidence and skill, it has save my butt on several occasions around the green.  Now it's mostly love :wub:  with that ugly little rascal. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great topic. My go-to club when I'm in trouble (which is usually off the tee) is my utility iron. I had an Adams product that I initially didn't care for but soon learned how to hit and after switching to Callaway I now hit the x-forged UT and when the driver or three wood goes south the UT comes out....even though it only goes 250 yards (when I pump the livin out of it) it is predictable, easy to hit, and gives me an overall confidence on the tee.

I have not 1 but 3.

I've never been able to hit a 3 wood. Off the tee it was somewhat OK, but off the deck it was way right or burning worms until I got my Mizuno JPX-EZ. It's like a magic wand! It's ridiculously easy to hit from the short stuff, long and straight. It'll take something really special to bump it out of my bag.

I like the 3 so much I got the 5 wood and it's the same deal, just so easy to put a good hit on it.

And lastly is my Cleveland Smartsole S. I hate bunkers because I was never any good at getting out of them, sometimes taking 2, 3 or even 4 (yes 4) shots to get out. Once I got the Cleveland, I still don't like bunkers but I know that I can get out in one. If the 3 wood is a magic wand the Cleveland is a magic bullet.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Currently in the bag? My 60 - it would be easy enough to replace every other club with something in my closet and do fine with it.

There's no way that I could survive at my club in current conditions without my specific 60 - I'd be scouring eBay if I lost it.

I have a question, Rev.

The Reid-Lockhart V-Sole grind that moved on to Scor and Hogan

seems OK to me in the stronger loft wedges,

but I personally couldn't live with it in a 58 or 60.

In my admittedly limited experience,

V-Sole was fine for playing "darts" from back in the stance (if you've got the shot)

but not good at all for playing "parachutes" from forward in the stance (if you've got the shot).

At your level of play, you obviously have both shots.

Low bounce (6º max, preferably less) was essential to me in higher loft wedges.

How do you get the leading edge to the ground playing a high, soft, vertically descending shot?

I understand how the low, hard spinning pitch would work out ok

...Putter... my game has always lived or died by my putting. Ball striking has always been at least ok and wedges are a strong point but doesn't help to chip/pitch to inside 6 foot if you're a yippy putter. A few months back I broke down and dropped some money on Odyssey's exo line number 7 head and it was one of those things where it just clicked. Yes, I've been clocking in a lot of practice on the greens but it helps to like what you're looking down at and having the proper putter style for your stroke is crucial.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

It's been the SLDR 460 I tested/reviewed for MGS back in 2014. I've had a few drivers through prior years that were good but this one has been the all time best. Everything about it works for me. That's all I can tell you. And... it's an OTR club. Heresy! Funny... but at the time of the review I wasn't all that enamoured with it.

This past spring I found a brand new one, purchased it, and keep it was a spare. Just in case.  ;)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's what is frustrating and great about this game, all at the same time. Once you think you've mastered a certain shot, or a certain aspect of your game, the other part of your game that you had previously fixed goes to hell in a handbasket. So you start focusing on fixing that. Then you seemingly master it, and then another area of your game falls apart.

It's a never ending roller coaster of fix this, fix that, fix this, fix that. It's frustrating because it never ends, but it's also great, because if we could master this game, where would be the challenge, which in my opinion makes golf a great sport, because even the best players in the world never master it, and you'll spend your entire life trying to improve.

^^ very well said!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great topic. My go-to club when I'm in trouble (which is usually off the tee) is my utility iron. I had an Adams product that I initially didn't care for but soon learned how to hit and after switching to Callaway I now hit the x-forged UT and when the driver or three wood goes south the UT comes out....even though it only goes 250 yards (when I pump the livin out of it) it is predictable, easy to hit, and gives me an overall confidence on the tee.

Ha. I had to chuckle when I read "even though it only goes 250 yards" haha. I wish my driving iron was my 250 club!

Archived