Do you have a club that changed your game?

Our Sponsors

I was thinking about this today during my round. Up until recently, I never felt comfortable with shots outside of 170 yards. In some instances, I'd even pull a club that would get me close to the green and try to scramble. Ended up picking up a Callaway Great Big Bertha Heavenwood, and it filled that 170-210 yard gap for me. I can choke down and put an easy swing on it and hit it 180, or I can take a full shot and get it around 200/205. And it's stupid easy to hit too. Ever since I put it in the bag, I can use it to tee off on short par 4's or hit it with my 2nd shot on long par 5's. It's helped shave some strokes off my rounds.

Anyone else have a club that changed their game?

• Like 7

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was thinking about this today during my round. Up until recently, I never felt comfortable with shots outside of 170 yards. In some instances, I'd even pull a club that would get me close to the gre

I'd love to say it's me and not the clubs, but as a devote club ho that goes against all of my purchasing habits.   Since switching to Cleveland CBX irons though I dropped 3 strokes off my handicap

When I first bagged the Square Strike Wedge it was a love/hate type relationship.  Once I put  in the work to gain confidence and skill, it has save my butt on several occasions around the green.  Now

Posted Images

My 2 iron for sure.

I now have a confident fairway finder and good club to hit out of the fairway and rough. Had a hybrid that I lost 4 shots a round because of nasty hooks.

• Like 3

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Great thread! I actually have 2. My driver & my 58* wedge.

The upgrade from the original G driver with regular-flex to the G400 SFT with stiff-flex was a supreme change. More fairways hit and some added distance too. The feel of it as well as the better sound it makes gives me confidence every time it comes out.

These Glide 2.0 wedges (especially the 58*) are superb. I am still challenged in finding greens-in-regulation so I scramble a lot around them and seem to have it in my hand on most every hole. It made sense to me that upgrading my wedges from the stock ones that came with my iron set was the smart play. I did a lot of research here and on YouTube specifically on the Glides and couldn't be happier. I get way better performance, closer shots and even made a chip-in par with it along with several near misses. I love that club!

• Like 3

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'd love to say it's me and not the clubs, but as a devote club ho that goes against all of my purchasing habits.

Since switching to Cleveland CBX irons though I dropped 3 strokes off my handicap this season and this is far and away the best I've ever played irons.

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

bought a 58° Cleveland lob wedge on sale at Edwin Watts about a year ago.  I was struggling mightily with 50-85 yards shots and was inconsistent as you can be; chunks, blades, whatever.  But there is something about this lob wedge where I just have supreme confidence that any shot around 60 yards or so is going to be within 10 feet of the hole.

It makes a huge difference now when I have that distance and just don't even think about it and grab the 58° and let it work it's magic.  I was about a 7 handicap when I bought this thing and I was recently down to about a 3.8 index.  Although with my next revision I am creeping back up towards a 5.   :(   But I will say that the handicap index has next to nothing to do with my lob wedge.

That's what is frustrating and great about this game, all at the same time.  Once you think you've mastered a certain shot, or a certain aspect of your game, the other part of your game that you had previously fixed goes to hell in a handbasket.  So you start focusing on fixing that.  Then you seemingly master it, and then another area of your game falls apart.

It's a never ending roller coaster of fix this, fix that, fix this, fix that.  It's frustrating because it never ends, but it's also great, because if we could master this game, where would be the challenge, which in my opinion makes golf a great sport, because even the best players in the world never master it, and you'll spend your entire life trying to improve.

• Like 4
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My Evnroll ER2.

I have never been more confident on the greens.

There's a reason I say it will be buried with me

• Like 5

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:srixon-small: ZU85 18* Tour AD 95X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
 MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I am not there yet, but whatever I finally settle on between my 5i and 3w will be it. I have a 3 ironwood and a 4 hybrid that should do it if I can figure out how to hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge w/Rotex shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

I told this in my review but the “club” that changed my game wasn't a club at all. It was a Laser Range Finder. Specifically it was the Precision Pro NX7 PRO. A truly redundant name.

Know the exact distance to the flag changed me from hitting to the front and letting it run out to changing my swing for more spin, firing it right at the flag.

It also caused me to change the clubs and bag set up.

Instead of feeling like I need to be inside 100, I now feel like I just need to be inside 175. This makes driving easier.

I have gone to using more club and a more controlled swing. I've had great results the last couple of weeks since fully committing to this. But still have a long way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Definitely my Ping Sigma G Tyne putter. Regardless of the course or greens all I need to do is just get on the green and I know I have a good shot at sinking the putt!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

My #3 hybrid is the best purchase I made in my entire bag. Gets me out of trouble and it is always reliable...it's my favorite club in the bag.

#PowerToThePlayer

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

When I was a kid,

brand new to golf,

my first 5-wood was a revelation. 

It had been 1, 2, 3, 4;   2-9;   SW,  putter  with my hand-me-down clubs back then. 

I replaced driver and 3-iron with PW and 5-wood, keeping 2-iron and 2-wood as driving clubs.

I didn't have adult strength yet, so fairway woods and long irons into greens weren't that uncommon.

The 5-wood took a couple of blows off my scorecard by itself.

• Like 1

Great thread! I actually have 2. My driver & my 58* wedge.

The upgrade from the original G driver with regular-flex to the G400 SFT with stiff-flex was a supreme change. More fairways hit and some added distance too. The feel of it as well as the better sound it makes gives me confidence every time it comes out.

These Glide 2.0 wedges (especially the 58*) are superb. I am still challenged in finding greens-in-regulation so I scramble a lot around them and seem to have it in my hand on most every hole. It made sense to me that upgrading my wedges from the stock ones that came with my iron set was the smart play. I did a lot of research here and on YouTube specifically on the Glides and couldn't be happier. I get way better performance, closer shots and even made a chip-in par with it along with several near misses. I love that club!

I never had the G, but I remember the G30. Night and day difference with the G400

• Like 1

My Evnroll ER2.

I have never been more confident on the greens.

There's a reason I say it will be buried with me

Love mine too. Finally getting comfortable with it.

• Like 1

Had a distance gap and struggled hitting my 4 iron, so I picked up a callaway Xr 5 wood and it might be my new favourite club.

Also trying out a new putter , Ray cook sr500 , looks exactly

Like a spider and so far really liking it.

• Like 1

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Cobra F7 3 wood with a adila driver shaft. Didn't really change my game because it only gets used about four times around. I can always count on the distance and ball flight out of almost any lie. I'm pretty sure if you gave me a case of these things I could sale them all day on the range. It replaced a Ping G20

• Like 1

Had a distance gap and struggled hitting my 4 iron, so I picked up a callaway Xr 5 wood and it might be my new favourite club.

Also trying out a new putter , Ray cook sr500 , looks exactly

Like a spider and so far really liking it.

My father in law is the same way with his xr16 5 wood. He hits it so well and so consistent... Almost too well because he will take it out of the bag for shots ranging from 160-190 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

Currently in the bag? My 60 - it would be easy enough to replace every other club with something in my closet and do fine with it.

There's no way that I could survive at my club in current conditions without my specific 60 - I'd be scouring eBay if I lost it.

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds.