TESTERS WANTED! ×

I ordered a 52, they sent me a 52 with 58 degrees of loft.

Street11

I ordered a custom set of Titleist irons a month ago. I also got 2 wedges, a Sm7 52 F and a Sm7 58 D. As I started to play, I thought my wedge game had just gone to crap because I couldn't hit the 52 more than 80 yards, and usually a 52 is my 110-115 club.

Now the wedge always seemed to have more loft than I thought, but then I handed both clubs to a friend who golfs a lot and asked him to pick out the 58 degree without looking at it. He picked the 52!

I was nowhere close to a loft lie machine, so I just sent it back and honestly the guys on the phone kinda laughed when I told them why I was sending it back. Welp a week later the dude called me and said, “Yup, it's a 58 degree stamped 52” They said they hadn't seen anything like it before because it was a 52 F head but lofted at a 58.

Anyway I thought it was interesting. What's your worst custom screw up?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I ordered a custom set of Titleist irons a month ago. I also got 2 wedges, a Sm7 52 F and a Sm7 58 D. As I started to play, I thought my wedge game had just gone to crap because I couldn't hit the 52 more than 80 yards, and usually a 52 is my 110-115 club.

Now the wedge always seemed to have more loft than I thought, but then I handed both clubs to a friend who golfs a lot and asked him to pick out the 58 degree without looking at it. He picked the 52!

I was nowhere close to a loft lie machine, so I just sent it back and honestly the guys on the phone kinda laughed when I told them why I was sending it back. Welp a week later the dude called me and said, “Yup, it's a 58 degree stamped 52” They said they hadn't seen anything like it before because it was a 52 F head but lofted at a 58.

WTF, this seems crazy. I have never heard of this, I wonder how many other people got "52's" from the erroneous batch. I would expect an entire batch got stamped wrong, right?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

WTF, this seems crazy. I have never heard of this, I wonder how many other people got "52's" from the erroneous batch. I would expect an entire batch got stamped wrong, right?

That's what they were telling me today. But it's odd because the CG and everything is a 52. It's not like they made another 58 and just stamped it wrong. Somehow the F Grind 52 had 58 degrees of loft.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I just had a fitting recently and they looked at all my clubs - the Titleist driver is tagged as a 9.5 turns out it's actually 13... Apparently there is just no standard and for the average hack it's hard to check.

Weird! I recently custom ordered my new 50* wedge from PING via Golf Galaxy and it arrived with the correct spec sheet for everything I wanted... but it showed up with a steel shaft and not the graphite one I ordered :wacko: . Not sure how that slipped though their QC but there it was. I immediately returned it and had the correct one delivered and no charge and no-questions-asked in 3-days.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Weird! I recently custom ordered my new 50* wedge from PING via Golf Galaxy and it arrived with the correct spec sheet for everything I wanted... but is showed up with a steel shaft and not the graphite one I ordered :wacko: . Not sure how that slipped though their QC but there it was. I immediately returned it and had the correct one delivered and no charge and no-questions-asked in 3-days.

Yes, I have found Ping clubs are normally built much closer to spec than other OEM's. The shaft thing is weird though, at least they took care of it quickly.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Never heard of wrong loft stamp or wrong number on an iron. I have many times know of irons being delivered with the wrong lofts. These usually came from a retail fitting where the specs were sent to the factory and then shipped to the buyer. That scenario is quite common.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have heard of similar loft issues here in the UK but never a stamping problem...usually 1 or 2 degree`s out and for what a decent set of irons cost these days it should not be happening.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

reminds me of ordering a PING G PW off of ebay to complete my iron set. I kept hitting it about 115-120, which is my gap wedge distance. Out of desperation I took it into Edwin Watts, and sure enough, the loft on that iron was 50 degrees, as I guess someone had bent it to that and then put the club on ebay when they weren't satisfied with it.

Moral of the story, that will be my last iron ever purchased off of ebay.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My worst was the time I ordered a 60* wedge and when it came in a month later, it was in right handed...and I'm a lefty! It was a Callaway MD Forged. When I picked up the wedge from the local golf store, the Callaway rep just happened to be in the store. He got on the phone with Callaway and had it straightened out in no time...he even through in a dozen balls for my trouble.

Archived