TESTERS WANTED! ×

I need a new ball

HighFade

We have a winner!!!

Hey I play NXT tours too. I get them for 7 dollars a dozen from lostgolfballs.com. The 4As are like new and they just have logos on them and what not. In the last set I got one was a Pinehurst logo'd one. Most of them looked like they had been hit once. Maybe...

Edit: you can even get mint 5A quality for a whopping 10 dollars a dozen...

https://www.lostgolfballs.com/titleist-nxt-tour.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

A little harsh, but spot on.

But I stopped at Walmart and picked up a dozen Wilson Duos for $19.97. Just to be safe, I brought a sleeve of my trusty NXTs with me. The Wilsons just had no spin at all. I like lower spin, but they couldn't hold a green at all. So I played the rest of the round with the last of my NXTs. Points to the original recommender of the Wilson's tho. They are cheap and low spin. Just a little too low spin for me. I think I'll try the Kirkland's. I remember they were pretty good when I tried them.

Also an idea is to go to Srixons website and search for ball fittings. If there is one in your area go to it and take a credit card. They usually offer all models At 50% off. So that means $20 for a dozen Z stars probably among the 3 best balls in the market in my opinion. Q Stars for $10.

So load up. Both those are incredible deals.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Vice also has the Tour which is their version of the NXT. I think it's like $20 for a dozen

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Depending on your swing speed I have a few cheap recommendations. Over 100mph I recommend Maxfli softfli. They come in different colors and exterior holds up to hard hits. 80-100mph swing I recommend Aris scout balls. Low price with great action when you need it and less when you don't. For under 80mph use the Aris captain. Soft outside and you get amazing spin close to the green, perfect for awesome approach shots!

Wish you well

Not to belabor a prior point (my own point :blink: )

You just should go into a bay at your local retailer and hit several balls.

Whichever ones you are considering on any level.  You'll have numbers to go by which actually will translate to performance on the course that may surprise you.

Several good options have been thrown out there, but if cost is a priority I really recommend

refurbished balls.  Unless you throw out your game ball after the first few shots every time (hitting into a pond on accident doesn't count) then you won't see any difference at all.

As a result of living in a location where tourist from all over the world visit coupled with my penchant for searching for lost balls, I have hit just about every ball on any market.

Vice: Not a big fan. They are not very durable and tend to have an inconsistent ball flight.

Snell: Short off the tee. Not a lot of stopping power on the green.

Volvik: Hard to keep on the fairway off the tee. A fade turns into a slice and a draw into a hook.

Very hard ball from the vivid to the S3.

Taylormade XP5 and XP5x: Great ball. Very consistent and reliable. Spins good on the green. Soft off the putter.

Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft x: Great ball in all phases of the game except distance. I find I fall about 5 yards short of my average. I'll take consistency over distance all day long.

Bridgestone: all of their balls are manufactured well. Quality control is top notch. Imperative you utilize their fitting guide to make the proper selection. E6 is a great no frills mid priced ball that responds well to moderate swing speeds.

ProV1 and 1X: There is a reason they are the benchmark for all comparisons. They do everything above average. If you loose a ball or two per round you might find it difficult to throw $10 to $25 into the woods or pond.

Taylormade project (a). Another very consistent ball. Not very durable from my experience. Soft feel from the tee to the green.

Wilson: don't see these often so I don't have a lot of experience. The FG Tour felt ok but didn't respond well to my mid 90s swing speed. The Duo is a good ball for the money. It does a lot of things well and with a compression around 40 it reacts well off slower swing speeds.

XXIO: Flies low, sounds like a rock and feels like granite. They are not worth the money.

Srixon Z Star. A performer in all phases on the game. If you have a slow to moderate swing speed you might find it difficult to compress. This is a ball you must fall into the higher swing speed parameters to maximize its engineering.

I could go on and on in greater detail but my thumb is tired now. Hope this helps a bit.

https://youtu.be/PR0El7IMJpk

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Vision from Australia make exceptional balls!!! Snell is another good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'd check the "Master Golf Ball Review Thread" in the member review section for something that lines up with your needs and then see what you can find online (if you haven't already).

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

The AVX thread reminded me of the golf ball situation.

Even before Spalding bailed from the golf business, they had stopped making the Original Top Flite ball (not the XL)  which led the revolution that eventually obsoleted wound golf balls. 

And ever since that model went out of production, I haven't been particularly loyal to any golf ball brand or model.

The old Top Flite was the most consistent ball that I ever hit.  It was the only ball that performed noticeably better for me.  All of the other non-wound balls were, equally to one another,  just OK,

and the wound ones--the alleged "pro" models or surlyn covered ones alike--clearly added strokes to my scorecard.

I'm not the first person I've ever known to miss a discontinued golf ball.

When I was younger, lots of the guys who were the age that I am now--

in other words, presently dead guys--

talked about a "K" model Titleist from the past being more workable than the top of the line wound Titleists that were available then. 

I had probably played this revered ball at some time in my youth, never to purchase another dozen after they all smiled at me through their paper thin covers.

The pro preferred balls had natural balata rubber covers in those pre-urethane days, while the "lesser "balls, wound and solid alike, had the much maligned Surlyn synthetic covers.  But Spalding's  particular polymer worked on the Top Flite

I don't what it was about the original Top Flite, often disparagingly called the Rock Flite, that was so suited to my game.  It came off the long clubs like a bullet, and spun hard off the short ones, but only if they had broad, flat soles. It was as if Spalding was customizing golf balls for their own iron models.

Well, that's my ode to the old, original Top Flite.  As I've mentioned before, I played Pro V1s in more recent times because I got them as gifts.  Otherwise, I played what was on sale.  But if whatever company that makes Top Flite now re-introduced the original, well, I guess it wouldn't matter.  I can't play anyway.

I personally have been really impressed with Snell, both red and black, relative to my previous gamers e6, Nxt tour s, & Project a (performance) and ProV (price). I'll be sticking to the MTB Red for now, unless I win the test contest for the i500s and need a lower ball flight  :D . The MTB black seems to fit a "mid-spin" profile though, at least for my game. Also Dean Snell signed my receipt on my first order from them, which I thought was a nice touch.

I can't speak to the Cut & Vice brands, but would rather give those smaller independent outfits a shot before buying refurbished (I've had inconsistent experiences here at best) or Kirkland.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Snell MTB black. Great ball and very reasonably priced.

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a friend who is a scratch golfer.  He told me to try the Wilson zip ball for 2 dozen $20 at Wally World.  I love a ProV1 but just can't afford them.  The Zip ball is fantastic for the money.  And I've had them stop on the green nicely.  Worth a try for that money.

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

I have a friend who is a scratch golfer.  He told me to try the Wilson zip ball for 2 dozen $20 at Wally World.  I love a ProV1 but just can't afford them.  The Zip ball is fantastic for the money.  And I've had them stop on the green nicely.  Worth a try for that money.

I was playing them until I started with the Duo Optix. I just don't see the white as well as the orange Duo. I liked the Zip. I thought it was a really great ball for the money. It's not a tour ball, but I'm not a tour player so it all worked out about as well as it could.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

On 8/29/2018 at 4:30 AM, Larryd3 said:

Snell MTB black. Great ball and very reasonably priced.

Got my 1st box of Snell MTB black balls today... Pretty excited to play a round this weekend to see how I like'em!!!

I used to play NXT but had to change as a result of Titleist stopping production. I fell in love with the Taylor made Project (a) but price is about the same.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

On 8/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

So as I reread this, ( I was posting in a hurry and didn't reread), I realize that this sounded good as I was typing, but probably did not come out as intended. Sorry about that.

Please don't read my post

😁😁

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

4 hours ago, mrjohnsmitt said:

Got my 1st box of Snell MTB black balls today... Pretty excited to play a round this weekend to see how I like'em!!!

... Nice. This is the good ole USA and I have no problem with someone selling a better mouse trap even if they didn't build it. So I have no problem buying a dozen Vice, CUT and Kirkland balls that clearly did zero R&D to test them out and see how they play. But when possible, I prefer to spend my money with someone like Dean Snell that has put in the work and designed balls for Titleist, TaylorMade and now Snell. The MTB Black is as good or better than any premium balls I have played other than TP5X/Kirkland Tour Performance that are just a hair longer for me with longer clubs.    

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Archived