Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

BREAKING NEWS! - Ryan Moore Leaves Scratch Golf for Adams

GolfSpy_X

Joe does build clubs for tour pros and champions. He does it because of their word of mouth, not because he works on their van. I've seen Joe do just as much as Don does on a set of clubs. He's got the same certifications Don has, certified Master clubfitter, clubmaker, and clubgrinder. Like I said, I've hit irons that were hand assembled and hand ground by both, and I felt that Joe's were better. His tolerances are as tight as anyone in the business's. He's truly a master at what he does, and if I were finding someone to do my work, I'd see Mr. Kwok before I would Mr. White. That's my opinion after hitting clubs both have built to the same specs. I know Don has the pedigree of working with the big companies, and now Scratch, but honestly, Joe has worked on tour vans fitting tour pros before, and still has guys from the Tour that come to him. He can't advertise it because he's not under contract with them(the OEM's), but when he builds a set for a guy, who goes out and wins on tour that weekend with them, and they bring him back something as a token of gratitude, I think it speaks volumes.

I'm not knocking Don at all. He does exceptional work, I just personally feel that Joe's work is better and feels better to me. Others like Don's work better, and that's their prerogative. For my money, though, I'd go see Joe (if he were closer that is). I'm right up the road from Don, well, when he's at the office anyway. So it'd be more feasible for me to go see him. But if money weren't an object, I'd honestly pick Joe for my experiences with his clubs versus Don's. I don't think anyone would go wrong with either though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

You might be right...in my personal experience I have seen hundreds of hand ground sets by Don and I don't recall every seeing any made from absolute scratch by JK. If you have any info on ones he has done with pics or other info I would love to see them. Not saying he can't just have not seen his hand ground work. I have seen some of his other work but never made from scratch gear for any pros.

#TruthDigest

Hand ground from a billet of steel or hand ground from a raw blank?

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Another guy that's really good on a grinding wheel? James Patrick Harrington, or James Patrick as his company is known. He's as artful and creative as it gets on the wheel. All I've ever seen or hit of his are wedges, but his work is great on those.

In The Bag

• 4 weeks later...

Well after reading this I must say I may have found a new home!! I was one of the big gusy at BSG and one of the founders of GD. Richard did screw us over pretty godo at GD by basically using XtremeCruiser to build WRX for himself and using GD to build and get it started and then he basically told us all to go F ourselves. I was just recently banned from GolfWRX for posting too much in a single day. i was bored at work on Thanksgiving and was actually told that I posted too much stuff.

I will add some info here when I have teh chance and hope that it sticks to the original foundation and does not become one of the other forums!

I was just recently banned from GolfWRX for posting too much in a single day. i was bored at work on Thanksgiving and was actually told that I posted too much stuff.

;) sounds familiar ... you're not alone, trust me

Well after reading this I must say I may have found a new home!! I was one of the big gusy at BSG and one of the founders of GD. Richard did screw us over pretty godo at GD by basically using XtremeCruiser to build WRX for himself and using GD to build and get it started and then he basically told us all to go F ourselves. I was just recently banned from GolfWRX for posting too much in a single day. i was bored at work on Thanksgiving and was actually told that I posted too much stuff.

I will add some info here when I have teh chance and hope that it sticks to the original foundation and does not become one of the other forums!

That you DW?

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Well stated MSG. Some folks just want to "promote negativity" behind the keyboard which is sad to see. These small companies need to be supported and encouraged. The entire golf industry is having a hard time right now, and the smaller ones are finding it hard to grab a piece of the pie. It's the smaller companies that innovate the business and come up with new ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't change a thing.......you are the truth in golf site that we need.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Glad I found this site. It goes along with the rebel in me. Speak your mind. Dont let corporate golf America dictate what you say. For me the 4GEA is dead for some reason my password is no longer valid and they will not fix the problem so screw them. I am happy I can voice my opinion thank God freedom is not dead. My bottom line is "I might not always agree with your opinion but I will stand beside you and fight to death if nessicary for your right to express it" Enough said thank you for your honest and unbiased site

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If this is the same DW from Murrells Inlet I know you too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

For whats its worth....Ryan has the CB2's in the bag.

Oh..and those of you that think JK is in the same league as ANY of the names mentioed above...you are delusional.

How many of Joe's clubs have you ever hit, or held in your hands? What about Don White's?

In The Bag

• 3 months later...

Scratch products are awesome, but the quality control is lacking. My set of Scratch irons had to be taken apart and reassembled because 5 of the nine irons rattled. There was failed glue and loose weights in the hosel. I chose to have them repaired locally as I have more confidence in the local guy than Scratch's service department.

Sadly Scratch Golf will probably soon be out of business due to mismanagement or perhaps they will be consumed by a bigger fish and the name will marshal on. Sometimes with start ups the owners/mangers spend too much time "Testing" their clubs. Silly things like paying bills and building a responsive customer service department is a distant concern.

Ryan GAVE back his stock in the Scratch and wished them well. He is definitely a class act.

Ryan is now hitting Adams brand new MB2s.....very cool irons. For those who think Adams only makes sticks for the high-handicap, Oldsmobile driving duffers, think again. They are making some OUTSTANDING stuff for low handicappers too. The CB1, CB2, Speedline Drivers, MB1 & MB2 are all state of the art products and their Fast 11 Fairway woods are off the hook.

Oh and check out the True Linkswear shoes.....the most comfortable golf shoe you will ever find.

I recently purchased Scratch Wedges with non-standard specs (and stamped), and am pleased with the overall transaction. They arrived at my door in about 7 business days after I placed the order. I must say that these wedges allow for a very good feel around the green too!

Glad I found this site. It goes along with the rebel in me. Speak your mind. Dont let corporate golf America dictate what you say. For me the 4GEA is dead for some reason my password is no longer valid and they will not fix the problem so screw them. I am happy I can voice my opinion thank God freedom is not dead. My bottom line is "I might not always agree with your opinion but I will stand beside you and fight to death if nessicary for your right to express it" Enough said thank you for your honest and unbiased site

I'll be right there with you, Big Stu.

I TRY to get banned from GolfWRX, but they won't do it. I thought I had something going: anti-golf conglomerates and anti-Golf Digest*. But nothing...

*= I would go back to GD if only they'd get rid of their equipment jerk Mike Stachura.

You might be right...in my personal experience I have seen hundreds of hand ground sets by Don and I don't recall every seeing any made from absolute scratch by JK. If you have any info on ones he has done with pics or other info I would love to see them. Not saying he can't just have not seen his hand ground work. I have seen some of his other work but never made from scratch gear for any pros.

But how many could tell a difference between DW's and JK's in a blind test?

Archived