Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Heavy fairway rough

What club do you use to get out if the heavy stuff on longer par 4's or 5's? My home course has recently been too lazy or had too much rain in the past months to care about mowing the the rough and I've been struggling to advance the ball with much success. The rough is normally about 2 inches which I can deal with, but 3+ inches is frustrating the $#!+ out of me.

I try to use my 3 hybrid on par 5's or to advance the ball to a decent distance for my 3rd shot, or try to hack it out with a higher lofted iron on longer par 4's.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Hybrid or lofted fairway is often a good choice - you can kind of chunk and run them a long way. Play it back in the stance and punch hard down and through - it comes out really hot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hybrid or lofted fairway is often a good choice - you can kind of chunk and run them a long way. Play it back in the stance and punch hard down and through - it comes out really hot.

Thanks Rev, do you aim a little more to the right of target for right handed players in case the face closes and the ball goes left?

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Hmmm I'm going to have to try that. Our rough is pretty high 3-4 in. by design. If the ball is buried in it I generally use a 9i or PW with the idea of just getting it on the fairway. If it's sitting up I'll use a hybrid forward in my stance.

Next time it's buried I'll try it back of the stance with my hybrid

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Depends on how the ball is sitting what I have in front of me and how aggressive I'm feeling. If I can't get to the green I'll play a club that gets me to a good number

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If I can't get to the green in two, I will layup to a good number. If I can I will hit a punch 4 iron. You can really hit down on it and it running.

Edit: This approach may not be what I would recommend to everyone, I might use a lofted hybrid or fairway metal.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

A lot depends on how it is sitting obviously and the thickness of the grass on the target line it may interact with if launched too low.

I would say if you are having troubles:

1) More weight forward, regardless of club to steepen your attack.

2) Consider a less aggressive goal and use a more lofted club (7-SW).  Play to a great spot for your most high percentage next shot.  If the rough is that high, and your shot out is wayward, you are just compounding your issues. Short shots around the green from thick rough are some of the tougher shots, as you likely know so getting up around the green in that junk is not always a winner either.

Hybrids and other lower lofted clubs are far more likely to go wayward than a short conservative shot - which brings in high numbers.

Give yourself a putt at par or bogey instead of trying a hero shot.  

IT IS ROUGH, that is part of dealing with rough - it is penal.  Let other players blow up while you minimize damage.

I like fairway wood over hybrid for that shot so you can generate more swing speed.

If you're fortunate to be currently playing with a thirteen club set, a shot-specific recovery wood is best of all.

Buy a Ginty on EBay for next to nothing.

Use my Heavenwood for shots like this. If it's thick, I can hit down on the ball and get it out 160ish, or if it's light rough I can take a full swing at it.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

My home club has very thick rough too. My handicap is 20 so at first I was trying Hollywood shots with hybrids and just putting myself in more trouble. I've started using a 7-PW just to get out and then try save Par from there. That's if the lie is bad obviously. My scores have improved from just taking my medicine when needed. Harder than it sounds to do though as well all know.

Ping G400 SFT Driver

Ping G400 3 Wood

Ping G400 19deg Hybrid

Ping G30 5-PW 

Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 60deg

Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 

Appreciate all the great advice I played today and whenever I was in the thick stuff and too far to the green for my irons I busted out my 3 wood and choked down about an inch and a half with the ball middle of my stance and made a solid swing at it and I was pretty surprised how the ball popped right out. I figured the smaller head would be easier to make contact, but I guess the larger 3 wood glides through the grass better. I had fun

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

I've seen tour pros struggle with really long rough like this. You just have to learn what you can actually succeed with. If the best you can do is hit 8 iron, hit 8. Sometimes the ball sits up and you can hit a lot more. Take what you can, and hit it in the short grass on the next hole.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

For me it depends on how thick the grass is and how deep the ball is in the stuff.

One of the courses near me the rough is so thick you run the risk of losing your ball anytime a ball touches it. As many times as I tried I couldn't get my woods through the stuff to make solid contact. When I play that course now I'll swap in a heavy GI 4 iron and try to hack through the stuff. It's still not going to be perfect, but it's been my best option this far.

On the other end of the spectrum there is a very forgiving Links course near my parents that mows the rough fairly short. When playing there I leave that 4 iron at home and use a fairway wood to drive it out.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Back at 808Nation - I don't aim right - I do open the club face just a bit - someone wrote it in a later reply but the key is leaving yourself where you will have a chance at par and not worse than bogey.  I had lots of long opportunities from the rough yesterday - long, wet stuff, the ball was not going anywhere, St. Pete Country is an old school course that is very tight - tons of shots in the 190-170 range some of it out of the rough, normally the first cut though - just keep advancing it down the fairway towards the green and then pitched and putted my way to par - I actually made two birdies from the rough, one from 118 with a wedge over some trees and the other from 173 with a 5 hybrid.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What club do you use to get out if the heavy stuff on longer par 4's or 5's? My home course has recently been too lazy or had too much rain in the past months to care about mowing the the rough and I've been struggling to advance the ball with much success. The rough is normally about 2 inches which I can deal with, but 3+ inches is frustrating the $#!+ out of me.

I try to use my 3 hybrid on par 5's or to advance the ball to a decent distance for my 3rd shot, or try to hack it out with a higher lofted iron on longer par 4's.

#PowerToThePlayer

3+ inches?! Holy cow!

I've read all the replies to this and as many have stated, using a hybrid or even a fairway wood if the ball is down still sounds scary to me. I'd most likely go with a punch-out 4-5 iron with the ball in the back of my stance. My thought would be that an iron will "cut" better than a broad-faced headed club. I've had pretty good luck with this shot lately, but maybe the deepest I've been in is maybe 2" at most.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Playing in this thick Bermuda rough, our course keeps it 2”. If the ball sits down to the bottom you cannot hit it with a hybrid or wood, the ball simply won't go anywhere. If your intent is to get to the green from 150 yards, forget about it, you can't. I know many of you play this same rough, and you know that the object in this rough is to 1. Get it out. 2 keep it in the fairway. If you haven t had the pleasure of playing in this rough. Good for you. Don't. If you ever find yourself in a place that has thi last rough, take ball drop it in, push it to the bottom of the grass and see what you need to use to get it out. A fairway wood or hybrid is the last thing on your mind. I've seen newbies try and take a 3 wood and get it out, they manage to hit it about 10 feet or less right in front of them. Best bet for thick heavy rough, use 8 iron or higher loft, grip tight and swing hard, the grass will likely grab the hosel so you kind of have to adjust your aim for that

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

#PowerToThePlayer

My name is Sloan and I'm a YouTube addict ;)

https://youtu.be/SuMVnYX25uQ

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I would dream of hitting out of rough like that. Most of the time here we can barely see the ball.

I think the basic concept remains the same regardless of length and or thickness. Aimee lives in California so maybe not as challenging as the Fort Mill/Charlotte area.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I think the basic concept remains the same regardless of length and or thickness. Aimee lives in California so maybe not as challenging as the Fort Mill/Charlotte area.

Concept is similar, but club choice is probably different.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 1 month later...

Good thread. Some interesting tips here I wouldn't have thought to try.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/26/2018 at 1:12 AM, 808nation said:

#PowerToThePlayer

first rule of being in heavy rough is take your medicine and get it back on the fairway. Depending on the lie will dictate whether you move it 20 yds or 150 yds. More loft, slightly open face and play right of centre in your stance will ensure the ball comes out clean.

Don't take on the hero shot as that will result in doubles and triples or worse.

A famous pro (Gary Player I think it was) said "dont follow a bad shot with another bad shot"

Get it back to the short stuff, then onto the green or beside it for a bogie then move on. 

p.s my last course the rough was easily 10 inches and thick, sometimes it took a SW with a way open face and grip tightly, then pick the club up steeply, ball comes out everytime.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 8/29/2018 at 5:24 AM, SteddyGolf said:

My name is Sloan and I'm a YouTube addict ;)

https://youtu.be/SuMVnYX25uQ

you call that rough? 😋

this is closer.....

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Phil said last week after playing in the Ryder Cup at age 48 that he was done playing tight courses with heavy rough. Doesn't fit his game.  Does that mean he won't be playing in the US Open anymore?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You guys make this game way to complicated, I just move the ball around with either my foot or the club until the ball is gently resting on the grass with a perfect lie....

Problem solved

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

8 iron. sharp descending blow. Always works for me. I don't go for distance but to get back into play

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... and being in your 50's helps as well. Ego no longer comes into play (trying to get it on in 2)

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Archived