Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf training aids that work best for swing?

Looking to get some help in figuring out what golf training swing aid is best. Finally getting my game somewhat more consistent (breaking 100) but I'd like to get my swing dialed in a bit more. I've seen a bunch of stuff out there, but I want to know what has worked best for people on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB? 

Driver: 2016 TaylorMade M2, 9.5*,

Irons: 2017 Taylormade M2 4-PW,

Wedges: Bombtech 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot putter

Ball: Callaway Supersoft

I have heard of great results with the DST compressor and the Tour Striker.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Always a good question, but capable of multiple answers.

The first reply question might be, "What swing flaw do you need to correct?" A given training aid that works perfectly for one person might accentuate the problem a second person needs to eliminate.

I want to take it in another direction, however. How do you best feel a change in your swing?

Some training aids reinforce a swing feeling. Here, we could include the Swingyde, Smart Ball/Swing Shirt/Smooth Swing, the Hanger, and many others. These aids all want you to feel something within you: a certain wrist hinge, or the relationship of your arms.

A second class of training aids makes you focus on path. Someone just posted about one of these: the Speed Trap.

Others make you focus on strike: the Tour Striker and DST Compressor are in this class.

Others let you analyze data: various swing analyzers, like Zepp and SwingByte.

And then there are the tempo tools: the Orange Whip or SKLZ Gold Flex.

I'm listing these again not just because they do different things, but they approach *how* to change the swing differently. Learning where you focus when doing a swing change—knowing what works most effectively for you—makes a big difference in choosing a training aid.

For me: I want numbers. I also tend to focus on swing mechanics. I'm probably analytical to the point of hurting my game, to be honest. That said, tonight I had a (low end) launch monitor giving me ball speed and carry distance, while using a Swingyde on a Tour Striker. I'm trying to groove a feel, while monitoring outcomes.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Looking to get some help in figuring out what golf training swing aid is best. Finally getting my game somewhat more consistent (breaking 100) but I'd like to get my swing dialed in a bit more. I've seen a bunch of stuff out there, but I want to know what has worked best for people on the forum.

I think the best training aid you can buy is a coach, preferably one who uses video feedback you can watch and listen to on your own time at home. There are quit a few YouTube videos of the best golf swing training adds. Still without live feedback those training aids may hurt as much as they help.

https://youtu.be/0fwt9R17xh0

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Can't argue with SteddyGolf, but DO read the thread here re: DST Compressor. I was on the review team for that, and I am a huge advocate.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Can't argue with SteddyGolf, but DO read the thread here re: DST Compressor. I was on the review team for that, and I am a huge advocate.

Excellent review. I'm pretty awesome perspective

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

The first reply question might be, "What swing flaw do you need to correct?" A given training aid that works perfectly for one person might accentuate the problem a second person needs to eliminate.

I want to take it in another direction, however. How do you best feel a change in your swing?

Some training aids reinforce a swing feeling. Here, we could include the Swingyde, Smart Ball/Swing Shirt/Smooth Swing, the Hanger, and many others. These aids all want you to feel something within you: a certain wrist hinge, or the relationship of your arms.

A second class of training aids makes you focus on path. Someone just posted about one of these: the Speed Trap.

Others make you focus on strike: the Tour Striker and DST Compressor are in this class.

I'm listing these again not just because they do different things, but they approach *how* to change the swing differently. Learning where you focus when doing a swing change—knowing what works most effectively for you—makes a big difference in choosing a training aid.

For me: I want numbers. I also tend to focus on swing mechanics. I'm probably analytical to the point of hurting my game, to be honest. That said, tonight I had a (low end) launch monitor giving me ball speed and carry distance, while using a Swingyde on a Tour Striker. I'm trying to groove a feel, while monitoring outcomes.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'll check all of these out. To answer some of your questions, there are really just a few kinks I feel need to be worked out especially with the driver. My irons are getting much more consistent and I've seen things like the hangar out there that look appealing.

I can get obsessive and over analyze things as well, as I think most golfers can do and I don't want to hurt my game, just become more consistent.

WITB? 

I think the best training aid you can buy is a coach, preferably one who uses video feedback you can watch and listen to on your own time at home. There are quit a few YouTube videos of the best golf swing training adds. Still without live feedback those training aids may hurt as much as they help.

https://youtu.be/0fwt9R17xh0

Yea I'm on the verge of giving a coach a try. Only thing holding me back is that I'm cheap, but in the long run I think it's going to be worth it.

WITB? 

That was my first thought when I read the topic. I have bought/used several "training-aids" through the years. But the best bang for my buck has always been my instructor. Golf training aids are like fishing lures and bait to fishermen. There's always that one that guarantees a whopper. But sticking with the topic theme I'll provide three that actually helped me some.

DST Compressor - promotes shaft lean

Pivot Pro - promotes loading on the right side without swaying

Orange Whip - stretching and promotes tempo

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great reply MPR

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I think.the first thing you need to do is find a club pro so that he / she can analyze your swing and tell you what needs correcting. And usually it is not training aids that are required. the training aids are more for memory muscle learning more than anything else.

you need to know what to correct first. and that's why the swing analysis comes first.

I am a strong advocate for lessons.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'll check all of these out. To answer some of your questions, there are really just a few kinks I feel need to be worked out especially with the driver. My irons are getting much more consistent and I've seen things like the hangar out there that look appealing.

I can get obsessive and over analyze things as well, as I think most golfers can do and I don't want to hurt my game, just become more consistent.

I have no room to talk on driver consistency, but if I had a range, I'd definitely buy a can of foot spray for checking impact location. So much of driver inconsistency isn't that face and path vary so terribly, but that guys of our handicap are hitting it all over the face, resulting in massive shifts in distance and direction.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I had a huge problem last year with getting off a tee box with my driver. All winter long I worked with our head pro and he had me doing a combination of things. The orange whip and orange peel really helped with my balance, swing path, and swing tempo. We also used the speed sticks but swing speed was never an issue that I had. I recommend working with a PGA Professional/ swing coach and they will lead you in the right direction. The good ones will usually have the training aids to help you out.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max Low X stiff flex 

Cobra F8+ 3-4 Wood 2knv green shaft 

Srixon U65 18 Steel Fiber i110x 

Srixon U65 4 iron Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Bettinardi SS28 Center Shafted Putter

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

Twitter: @darrenp36

Instagram: @dpow36

I have no room to talk on driver consistency, but if I had a range, I'd definitely buy a can of foot spray for checking impact location. So much of driver inconsistency isn't that face and path vary so terribly, but that guys of our handicap are hitting it all over the face, resulting in massive shifts in distance and direction.

Yea just bought a can to see where I'm landing. We'll see what happens haha.... but thanks for the response. Just need to dig in to some of this stuff as well as look for a pro in the area for some possible coaching.

WITB? 

I had a huge problem last year with getting off a tee box with my driver. All winter long I worked with our head pro and he had me doing a combination of things. The orange whip and orange peel really helped with my balance, swing path, and swing tempo. We also used the speed sticks but swing speed was never an issue that I had. I recommend working with a PGA Professional/ swing coach and they will lead you in the right direction. The good ones will usually have the training aids to help you out.

Yea I think that's the way I might go and then pick up a training aid or two from there. Thanks fo the feedback.

WITB? 

Yea I'm on the verge of giving a coach a try. Only thing holding me back is that I'm cheap, but in the long run I think it's going to be worth it.

Quick story...... I was in Louisville for work and had a little extra time on my hands. Because I was struggling with ball flight off the tee I thought maybe it was time for a new driver shaft so I visited the local Golf Galaxy. I told the guy there my story and he said before we fit you with a new shaft let's take a look at your swing. Long story short I was hitting a 10.5 degree driver delivering it to the ball at around 8 degrees. He helped me change my set up which increase the launch angle to the mid teens. The end results were transformational.

My point is......invest in some lessons now and save money you would spend in training aids, lost balls and countless clubs promising to make you a better golfer.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Quick story...... I was in Louisville for work and had a little extra time on my hands. Because I was struggling with ball flight off the tee I thought maybe it was time for a new driver shaft so I visited the local Golf Galaxy. I told the guy there my story and he said before we fit you with a new shaft let's take a look at your swing. Long story short I was hitting a 10.5 degree driver delivering it to the ball at around 8 degrees. He helped me change my set up which increase the launch angle to the mid teens. The end results were transformational.

My point is......invest in some lessons now and save money you would spend in training aids, lost balls and countless clubs promising to make you a better golfer.

Yea I think the general consensus is just go get some lessons haha. Appriciate the feedback man!

WITB? 

• 2 years later...

Some great comments here. I will not throw away training aids completely, with that being said you need to know why you are using it, is it tempo, club face control, speed etc. If you know what (by getting a lesson) I see them as a great asset

Bought this after a lesson from a teaching pro, works well, why he liked it, "it didn't do the task for golfer", helped me because I let my right arm flex too much in the backswing, then my left arm would collapse as well and backswing got too long.  Here is link to website..

https://www.swingextender.com/features-benefits-of-the-swing-extender/

Try the orange whip ($110) or less expensive Club Champ Flex Swing Trainer($40)....either way, both will help your swing timing and strength.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 year later...