TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting failed - now what? Help please...

My apologies for length but please help if you are able!

Fitting process = 5 trips of PGA Superstore hitting several brands and styles.

I narrowed it down quickly to KING FORGED TEC BLACK with C-taper 115.

However upon my subsequent trips I began to tinker with and compare.

Turned out that the C-taper 120 provided superior results. Nothing else was close among any metric. Heavier I went the better. I just didn't want to go heavier than this.

So I then paid to get a professional fitting with trackman and balls flying through the air for me to get a real picture of what was happening - turns out fitter agreed

C-Taper 120 / ONE INCH SHORT  /  2 DEGREES FLAT was the ticket.

They just are not best for me - 

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I WENT WRONG ---- WHAT I MAY DO NEXT TO NEGATE THESE ISSUES IF SHORTER SHAFT IS BEST FOR ME.  Short guy / very long arms.

Think I simply chose the wrong shaft for me unless I'm really warmed up.

Thank you !!!!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

When I custom order irons with extra length and mid size grips. I have learned (the hardway) to specifically ask that they be built to a D1 or D2 SW, they can do this by finding a heavier head.

While most OEM builders would know to account for the shorter shaft, they may not take it upon theirselves to "guess" that you want it that way, if you didn't request it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

From my experience, the absolute last place to get irons custom built is direct with the OEM. On paper, they may well build to a set of measurements, but they simply do not have the time and attention to detail to build to what we call a "blueprinted" set - precision built to your exact requirements down to 1/10th of a swing weight point, within 2mm for length, 0.25 degrees for loft and lie and to within 1cpm of flex.

The OEM route is just assembly to within a defined tolerance - which is sometimes whatever they can be bothered to provide on the day. 

My advice would be to take the OEM out of the loop and stick to the professional club fitter/club builder for getting your irons on spec. I don't really know what your options are with Cobra, but it sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and sell them on.

From my experience, the absolute last place to get irons custom built is direct with the OEM. ..........

My advice would be to take the OEM out of the loop and stick to the professional club fitter/club builder for getting your irons on spec. I don't really know what your options are with Cobra, but it sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and sell them on.

Maybe I order them stock with the discount and put money toward a proper setup after that.

Appreciate the input.

WITB

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

When I custom order irons with extra length and mid size grips. I have learned (the hardway) to specifically ask that they be built to a D1 or D2 SW, they can do this by finding a heavier head.

While most OEM builders would know to account for the shorter shaft, they may not take it upon theirselves to "guess" that you want it that way, if you didn't request it.

Good info.  As for requesting - I thought I did when I asked would they get them to standard playability.  But they argue they did.  Hopefully the 2nd owner will like them more.

WITB

Good info. As for requesting - I thought I did when I asked would they get them to standard playability. But they argue they did. Hopefully the 2nd owner will like them more.

Standard playability is a very vague term. What you may play as your standard could be very far off from mine. Have you taken them to a builder and seen what the swing weights are? That could be why it feels like swinging a tree trunk.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My advice is to order through a club builder.

The builder will fix swing weights, lengths, and lie angle.

Generally when ordered from an OEM they are built to "tolerances". This means if they are off by a swing wieght or half an inch or a degree or two, they are fine and "within tolerances".

If your order from a good builder, they will build them specifically to your specs, not "within tolerances". They will be exactly what your fitting said you required.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Mizuno is the only company I will order custom through.

Ping is a joke. As in, if I described giving measurements to the last sales rep or club rep that I had to talk to at Ping many of us would laugh our ass off

Custom builder is the way to go. There are a lot of them out here. Visit the facility and see what they can do for you. Most custom shops have shafts at different lengths for you to try on different club heads. This guarantees you the same feel of the club you buy as the club you hit.

Wish you luck

I know a great independent club builder that has done a lot of work for myself and others I know. The quality is amazing and his prices are unbelievably good. And he'll talk to you over phone and email and make sure everything is exactly how you want it. He could rebuild or at least redo the clubs to set the proper swing weight and such for you.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you his info.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Thanks for the replies.  Good information to ponder....

This is perplexing nonetheless .............I get a steep discount with one company and thus feel it wise to use them.

I gather from the comments that unless I can tell them to the nth degree exactly what I want then, I will eat up the savings in expenditures to get them right - after the fact.

Wondering if the discount standard length/lie with correct shaft choice is a starting point and then work with custom builder to make the proper adjustments. ??????

WITB

Ping is a joke. As in, if I described giving measurements to the last sales rep or club rep that I had to talk to at Ping many of us would laugh our ass off

That's surprising to hear. I guess it might be a local thing. Ping has a fitting center in Ontario and I hear nothing but rave reviews about this facility.

Sent from my iPod touch using MyGolfSpy

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Thanks for the replies. Good information to ponder....

This is perplexing nonetheless .............I get a steep discount with one company and thus feel it wise to use them.

I gather from the comments that unless I can tell them to the nth degree exactly what I want then, I will eat up the savings in expenditures to get them right - after the fact.

Wondering if the discount standard length/lie with correct shaft choice is a starting point and then work with custom builder to make the proper adjustments. ??????

That is an option but I think that would negate the discount. I would just get them custom built directly. That is the best way to get the clubs right. It may cost slightly more but this will eliminate headache and guarantee that you have everything fit right.

That's surprising to hear. I guess it might be a local thing. Ping has a fitting center in Ontario and I hear nothing but rave reviews about this facility.

Sent from my iPod touch using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things about Ping's build quality. They are usually closest to specs of most OEM's.

Have you thought of taking them to a builder and seeing if they can be saved?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I will just echo what has been said. Find an experienced club builder and take your set to them. You never know, ordering new shafts isn't that expensive of an option (if need be).

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Have you thought of taking them to a builder and seeing if they can be saved?

Coincidentally he is in Fort Worth .... probably the most recommended guy actually. Though I won't put his name out there.

WITB

The term CLUB BUILDER has shown up in most all of the comments, and I appreciate the feedback.

Could someone give an example of what they mean by that?

Is it the guy at GolfTEC, ClubChampion, CoolClubs or one of those???  Or do you mean something entirely different?  

WITB

It could be a guy at those places, yes. But usually those places are going to be more on the pricey side due to the name recognition and such.

The one I recommended has his own shop and builds as his business. These are going to usually have a little lower cost as they aren't paying for the big advertising and publicity... Along with high profile locations.

The term CLUB BUILDER has shown up in most all of the comments, and I appreciate the feedback.

Is it the guy at GolfTEC, ClubChampion, CoolClubs or one of those??? Or do you mean something entirely different?

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Is it the guy at GolfTEC, ClubChampion, CoolClubs or one of those??? Or do you mean something entirely different?

It can be, yes, but I generally mean a small single person owned fitting businesses. They are cheaper and usually care more about their clients. Unlike Club Champion who pays for advertising, high priced buildings, name recognition, these people pretty much only charge for time and work not all of these other things that don't go into building a set of golf clubs.

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things about Ping's build quality. They are usually closest to specs of most OEM's.

Ive order several clubs over the years from ping and they've been the closest in specs of all companies

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you didn't order the original clubs through the guy who fit you, then I can understand why he doesn't want to fix anything.

That being said, the place where you were fit should have had some type of specs on a sheet for you before you left. The fitter would have known that cutting and adjusting shafts would have an effect on the swing weight and stiffness. And he should have specified that.

But still you would have thought the OEM would have figured it out, or at least asked you during the phone conversation when you placed the order. Dealing with OEM's though, they're more like an assembly line and not really into the details. You specify what you want and they "try" to make it happen. I have had to check specs on clubs and they weren't correct, even when specified during the ordering process.

In this case, it sounds like your best bet is to have a reputable club builder look at the specs from your fitting and rebuild the set.

Well, I thought I would get some help from the guy who did the fitting and got his money for it.

But he didn't offer much in the way of anything when I made him aware.

Coincidentally he is in Fort Worth .... probably the most recommended guy actually. Though I won't put his name out there.

Ok - does anyone know one of these club builders in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

WITB

I'm sort of offended by this comment, having had my last two sets of irons custom fit through PING. I love PING products, and almost my entire bag reflects that.

Now with that said, when I got fit for PING it's not with a clubfitter, as my last one was with Edwin Watts, and this wasn't a situation where I walked through the door and asked them to start from scratch and fit me for irons based on any brand that would be best for my game. I came in already knowing I wanted PING and that it was literally hitting 2 or 3 different iron options and then picking one, including different shaft and head options.

But this was over a year ago, and the next time I am ready to invest in new clubs I will go through a club fitter and avoid having preconceived notions of what brand I want to play and just let them fit me to the best clubs that work the best for my swing.

And not that I want to pick on Edwin Watts, but getting fit for irons off of an indoor simulator will not be how I do it next time either. Hitting off of a mat is completely different from hitting outdoors off of grass. I won't buy irons next time, unless I am able to hit it outdoors and see the numbers based on those results.

With regards to your situation specifically, the only thing I can think of is that how you swung the club in the fitting process was different from when you took it to the course. I tell you that because that's sort of what happened to me. I tested the fit based on purchasing just the 5 iron first, and then I took that on the course to hit it. At first I was getting this clanking sounds and it didn't feel solid to me with that club, and I spent about 6 months with that sort of feeling, which over that time I kept buying the next iron in the set until I had the entire set, which really in this case was only the 5-9 irons. But what I discovered was that my swing plane was off, and once I produced a flatter swing with these irons, all of a sudden, boom, hitting them better than any irons I've ever had.

So perhaps get some tape and put it on the bottom of your irons and hit off of the plastic black mat and see if your lie angle is off. Because what I did is definitely not the way to go, because adjusting your swing to fit misfit clubs is something very few people will able to do successfully.

And I can already feel the negative comments coming at me at what an idiot I am with the way my process went. In response to anyone thinking that, well, yeah, I truly am an idiot for buying clubs this way, but I'm a blue collar guy with a very limited budget, so I was replacing 15 year old irons that were non-conforming for tournaments, so this is the budget or cheap guy approach to buying new clubs. Heck, I might've been better just going to Play it Again Sports and buying a set of irons from them, and then adjusting my swing to those clubs.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - does anyone know one of these club builders in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

I'd recommend Dave Murray at the Course at Watter's Creek in Plano. A friend of mine got a fitting there (wound up with a Ping bag) and said Dave was great to work with. He fits most OEMs but also custom builds Wishon clubs (or at least he did). https://www.watterscreekgolf.com/clubfitting/

I've heard lots of good things about Bo Hodnett at Golf Tech, also in Plano. He's had a number of tour guys at his shop over the years. http://golftechplano.com/

Russ Ryden at Fit2Score seems to know more about shafts than just about anyone. He might be a good source as well, although I haven't heard as much about his fittings. http://fit2score.com

Dave and Russ do outdoor fittings. Bo may have a range available, but from the web site it looks like he does his fittings indoors.

I don't know of anyone from the mid-cities west, though.

Thanks !!!

WITB

• 4 weeks later...

back to the original post.

What is the problem? Did you buy the cobras with the lighter shafts and find out that 120s were better for you?

Do you not like the 120s? Its late so I may be missing it.

Thanks

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

McGolf

I loved the 120s during multiple fitting/tryout sessions.  However, once they were actually cut it just fell apart.

Cobra said they knew just what to do to make these work (We work on Ricky and Bryson's clubs so don't worry- was the line), but all they did was cut off an inch and ship.

Cobra CEO stepped up and made it right several months later.

Now ---- new Ping irons on the way, after mega thorough fitting to ensure this didn't happen a 2nd time.

Thanks

WITB

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, TxRedMan said:

This statement is a bit concerning to me - given I'm on the verge of placing an order for G410 irons!!  My fitter has all the pertinent data from which I presume two things will happen.  First that he orders them from PING with those specs.  Second that PING builds them to those specs.  

From yours and others comments, is this a unrealistic expectation?  If so, that's ridiculous.  Why even bother getting fitted if one cannot depend on a company to build them to a given set of specifications.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This statement is a bit concerning to me - given I'm on the verge of placing an order for G410 irons!!  My fitter has all the pertinent data from which I presume two things will happen.  First that he orders them from PING with those specs.  Second that PING builds them to those specs.  

From yours and others comments, is this a unrealistic expectation?  If so, that's ridiculous.  Why even bother getting fitted if one cannot depend on a company to build them to a given set of specifications.

From what I understand, Ping is one of the better ones out there.  Having said that, I would still take the clubs back to your fitter when you get them to ensure that they do, indeed, meet the specs you requested.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug