TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf balls in the wind?

pulledabill

Going to Bandon in Feb where I most likely will have windy conditions.  Being a high ball hitter that will be an issue but I can fly the ball low but would like it to be lower.  Does anybody go to a lower flight ball when playing links style courses and or in windy conditions.? 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My ball flight is naturally low.  I do better on firm fairways.  Soft conditions just make a course that much longer for me.  If I need to, I can hit a lower, stinger-type shot with my driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Going to Bandon in Feb where I most likely will have windy conditions.  Being a high ball hitter that will be an issue but I can fly the ball low but would like it to be lower.  Does anybody go to a lower flight ball when playing links style courses and or in windy conditions.? 

no! just play more club and swing easier, that gives less spin so a lower flight- High spin is the killer against a wind as the ball just climbs and stalls.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The only ball change I'd recommend for Bandon... Play a yellow ball. The marine haze there makes tracking a white ball in flight particularly challenging.

Don't try to over power the wind there, you will lose. Take extra club, choke down, swing smooth.

Side note, trying to hit the flagstick with carry is normally a bad idea. Things really roll out there, just try to carry a few pieces onto the green and accept that the ball will roll and roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I agree with perseveringgolfer but also try a low spin ball, Chromesoft,Elixer or AVX maybe.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

The best solution is to buy a golf ball manufacturing facility and bring back the old R&A 1.62" diameter ball.

They were made for links play.

Americans used to playing the bigger, 1.68" ball played the smaller ball in the UK because the benefit was worth adapting.

OK, I just advised somebody to buy a golf ball factory.

And the worst part is, that could be  the MOST practical advice that I give all day.

Not playing is gradually leading me to a padded room.

no! just play more club and swing easier, that gives less spin so a lower flight- High spin is the killer against a wind as the ball just climbs and stalls.

Bingo.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Based on everything I have read and watched, along with my own personal experience, the TaylorMade TP5x and the Srixon ZStarXV are two of the best balls in the wind with the combination of spin profiles and dimple patterns helping them navigate the wind.

Titliest AVX is a super low spin ball, but not sure how it handles in the wind

Take more club, and swing really easy. Almost hit a punch shot and roll it up the front. Just don't swing to hard and put spin on the shot. Spin makes the ball climb against the wind and drop straight down.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

+1 on the TP5X...best wind ball I've ever played. Then again, if you don't have the swing speed for the TP5X, it won't do you any good. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Z star XV always flies low with lower spin. The TP5X is good too.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The only ball change I'd recommend for Bandon... Play a yellow ball. The marine haze there makes tracking a white ball in flight particularly challenging.

Don't try to over power the wind there, you will lose. Take extra club, choke down, swing smooth.

Side note, trying to hit the flagstick with carry is normally a bad idea. Things really roll out there, just try to carry a few pieces onto the green and accept that the ball will roll and roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great advice on the yellow ball! I can use punch shots but since Im a digger if makes it a bit more dificult in my opiniin. Ill work on it during the winter for sure as i woukd love to shoot a solid round when I go to Bandon. Just looking for a ball to help bring the flight down.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

+1 on the TP5X...best wind ball I've ever played. Then again, if you don't have the swing speed for the TP5X, it won't do you any good.

I found this ball a few days ago and gamed it a couple days and loved it. Bummed I lost it last night. It did fly lower than my prov1, but didnt notice it to be huge difference.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Archived