TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting from off the fringe

Went out for a quick nine yesterday. Par 3 137 yards to the pin. Pin set in the back and a few paces from the edge. Pulled out the 9i,aimed and flushed it. Half way there I knew it was to much club and I nervously watched it land near the pin and roll off the green. Went up and saw the pitch mark about 2-3' pin high.

ball in the back about a yard off in the rough. With a downhill slope,a chip would have been a disaster. What the hell, I decided to try and putt it. Rolled just past the hole. putt for par.

I really never thought about putting from the rough but put a little bit of a steeper swing and swing down into the ball.

learnt a new trick.

Yes---- you can teach a dog....

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Let me tell you anytime I can get that putter in my hand around the green I am going to do it. All of us old schoolers do that. I also like in certain cases the belly wedge.

In the case you described us old farts would tell you "great play" as in being creative and making a good play for the shot at hand

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Absolutely use a putter around the green when I feel I have a better chance of getting closer to the hole then I would with a pitch. There are 14 clubs in the bag, and the scorecard doesn't tell you what you hit to get to whatever score you get for a hole, so use whatever works for you in whatever situation you put yourself in.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Many golfers can benefit from putting around the green. I've had many good players and teachers recommend it as well as the theory of get the ball in the green and rolling as quick as possible.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Green or fringe I am putting. Light rough close to fring and hole I might be putting. Just depends of the variables.

Puttrr in hand for sure when I can.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I always putt if I can. I have more cofindence getting it close from the fringe with a putter. I can usually get a good roll out of the fringe but it gets "skippy" out of any rough. Whether this is a technique problem or a legitimate reason to not putt out of light rough, I don't know. Out of light rough or thicker I always chip. The chip shot always depends on he lie and grass but that is for a different thread.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I always look to putting first, if I can get it rolling quick.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Absolutely use a putter around the green when I feel I have a better chance of getting closer to the hole then I would with a pitch. There are 14 clubs in the bag, and the scorecard doesn't tell you what you hit to get to whatever score you get for a hole, so use whatever works for you in whatever situation you put yourself in.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

sometimes habits and stubborness get in the way. :D

For me, that is my downfall. 

But, hey, i learned something yesterday.

thanks for the reply

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

thanks for the replies guys.

Dexterity:

Played with an above average guy today, he used his hybrid when just off the fringe. Mainly when he was on the apron and had a good distance to the hole. He got up and down 4-5 times using this method. Thinking of giving it a try, but I would imagine it takes a lot of practice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Played with an above average guy today, he used his hybrid when just off the fringe. Mainly when he was on the apron and had a good distance to the hole. He got up and down 4-5 times using this method. Thinking of giving it a try, but I would imagine it takes a lot of practice.

From my experience this method is great to get the ball rolling but speed control is very difficult. I use my normal putting grip (left hand low) and treat it like a putt. It gets a little lift on the ball so it stays on top of the thicker fringe grass where a putter shot would get hung up in the grass. The face is very hot since it is a distance club so speed control takes a lot of practice. If you can prefect the speed this is a very useful technique.

I suck at fringe putting and I mean flat out suck. I'm working on improving it but I'm just more comfortable taking a wedge or short iron on those little fringe shots and bumping it on the green.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I found out today that I can putt from the fringe with perfect speed, the pin in, and the ball does a 360º lip out without touching the flagstick.  Just the typical luck I had today.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For us amateurs always...

Putt when you can,

chip when you can't putt,

pitch when you have to.

I have never heard this before but this is literally what I do. Sometimes there is the outlier where I take too much club and end up 60 ft away on the fringe and I chip so I don't have to muscle it but for the most part this is money. Now I just need to be good at putting and this would matter a lot more. ; )

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I tried it a few times. didn't work out so I just threw that idea out the window. Different strokes....

Dexterity:

If I can putt I will, and I use my putter. Fringe, second cut, etc..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I always putt if I can but you aren't putting out of our rough this time of year. You won't get the club on the ball.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I suck at fringe putting and I mean flat out suck. I'm working on improving it but I'm just more comfortable taking a wedge or short iron on those little fringe shots and bumping it on the green.

That's because a lot of these folks are dealing with bent grass fringes and not the grainy Bermuda in Central Texas. I feel your pain from just off the green. Bermuda is tough because of how it grows and the thickness of the blade. Unless you are completely down grain, that ball isn't going to react the way you want it to. I just tell folks who play Bermuda to stick with their wedges as best you can. It just takes a lot of practice.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I will sometimes use my 7iron or hybrid to putt when my ball is in thick fringe rough or has too much fringe to cover before the ball will hit the green. It has really helped me with understanding that creativity matters and is what helps make the game fun.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I love using my putter around the greens. It is significantly more consistent than my other clubs and I find when putting on the fringe it makes me have a more confident stroke to get it through the fringe and to the hole.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I tried it a few times. didn't work out so I just threw that idea out the window. Different strokes....

Practice it if you can. There may just come a time..............

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Everyone must play their own game and do whatever is comfortable to them. Absolutely nothing with the way you do it if you have confidence in it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That's because a lot of these folks are dealing with bent grass fringes and not the grainy Bermuda in Central Texas. I feel your pain from just off the green. Bermuda is tough because of how it grows and the thickness of the blade. Unless you are completely down grain, that ball isn't going to react the way you want it to. I just tell folks who play Bermuda to stick with their wedges as best you can. It just takes a lot of practice.

Exactly! I don't have a hard time with that little bump wedge either so I'm not losing sleep over it but I'm sure putting off the green would be an asset I could use if I ever traveled and played somewhere like that.

In the bag

Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex

3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree

Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie

Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees

Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig'em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'll putt from the fringe if I'm a foot or less sometimes...but those little delicate chips are fun and I don't mind hitting them. I actually prefer to actually. But I'm not normal in that area. Some call me crazy....

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

We don't have many collection areas and the bailout areas are normally a little thicker so I would typically use my 58.

I have a tendency to use a lot of clubs around the green depending on how much run out I'm looking for. If it was a tight lie and say a middleish pin I'm probably going gap wedge.

At the beginning of the year I had a 4 Iron obsession around the greens, but that has since faded for more traditional methods.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Archived