Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Pgutzgolf

Titleist AVX - Thoughts?

Played the AVX this weekend. Seemed that the ball didn't catch the greens as well as a Pro-V. Anyone else try it yet? I'd be curious to know if you saw the same. Driving, long iron and putts seemed to be equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I won a dozen in a scramble. They are really unremarkable to me with one exception. If you already fly the ball low these things will take you even lower. I had a really hard time getting them in the air off the tee box when hitting a driver. Everywhere else they are ok but in my opinion definitely not $40 plus a dozen worth of a ball.

• Like 1

We have this thread a quick search would have gotten you there... by the way there is a what ball do you play thread where people have talked about it as well... some good things have been said about it and there are multiple people who chip in there so you can get multiple opinions

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I found one of these in the water last week and have been playing it since. It goes straighter and longer, but I found that it didn't even come close to sticking on greens. Even high lofted wedges rolled out, compared to my Srixon Z Star which has awesome stop and stick on greens. I'll pass on it for not only that, but at $48 a dozen it's ridiculously overpriced compared to other much cheaper options that are comparable.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I've been using a few yellow AVX's for the past month, and I freaking love them! Awesome flight, great around the greens and off the putter. Bought myself a dozen when I found them on special.

• Like 1

Played the AVX this weekend. Seemed that the ball didn't catch the greens as well as a Pro-V. Anyone else try it yet? I'd be curious to know if you saw the same. Driving, long iron and putts seemed to be equivalent.

I have seen a number of test and talked with friends who have played it and the general consensus seems to be that it plays with slightly lower spin (but not a ton different from the ProV) everywhere. 

I play them and have no problem holding greens with them. Do they spin as much as a Pro V? No, but it's not significant enough for me to notice a big difference. Played today using them and they landed soft for me. The gains I've gotten in distance with my driver and irons with this ball have made me switch.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Usually I play ProV1x and tried the AVX for 2 Rounds. I have a pretty high ball flight, so no issues to get it in the air. On the Greens it stopped, but not comparable with the Pro V's. Its good for low spin of the tee, but if you don't have a high amount of spin on the ball for approach shots, probably not the best choice.

• Like 1

Played a dozen of these and don't prefer the feel to the ProV. The ball performed well, imo, but for me the feel wasn't there. However, the cover on the AVX is much more durable than the ProV. I can often cut ProVs with full, crisp wedge shots and that never happened with the AVX.

I found one in the woods on a course, played some of my best golf with it. I've found that it compares for me to the old ProV1x's. Not worth the extra $

• Like 1

For my game these balls are a pretty good fit. It's really just finding a good balance in what I need more.

With the ProV1 and PV1x I was getting too much spin off of the tee and making the rest of the hole harder with poor placement of the drive. I was also getting more spin than I wanted on the greens. I realize there are a lot of ways to address both of these issues (shaft fitting, more practice with short irons) but balls like the AVX really seemed to help out right away. I've had fewer problems with excessive rollout on my approaches compared to spinning the ball back off the green with the ProV1 balls. My drives are better and I seem to have picked up around 6-10 yards depending on the club.

I've seen pretty similar results with the low spinning Chromesoft balls as well.

My average score (I usually only play 9) is trending lower with these balls going from the mid forties down to the low forties with a personal best 38 (+2) yesterday.

• Like 1

These are not designed to replace ProV's but a compliment to their lineup. I normally bounce between zStars and ProV1x's (I know 2 very diff balls).  The AVX are low spin, low flight balls - so it will never spin like a ProV nor is it supposed to.  If you are a high spin player or need a lower flight for say windy days then these will work for that, if you are a low spin player already then these may spin and fly too low for you.  I used these this spring in WA which tends to get breezy and got a nice low penetrating flight off my driver, 3 wood and hybrids, now distance was a little shorter but I was on the fairway almost every time (now if i can just chip and putt...).  Even off the wedges the flight was noticibly lower but did hold the greens when I needed them too.  I did notice tho with my 7-5 irons a much lower flight but close to same distances.  Another thing to note is these are a softer easier compression ball and in colder weather these will feel firmer than say in the middle of summer.

Overall I would rate these a 4 outta 5 and recommend that you keep a sleeve for those windy spring an fall days.

• Like 1

I played a few different balls this year such as the Snell MTB Red, Vice Tour, and Taylormade Project a.  I was attempting to find a ball that was a little less expensive.  I struggled all year with the flight of my driver.  It seemed as if I was hitting it very high with a lot of spin.  I found an AVX on the course with no scuffs and played it for a while.  The AVX does give me a lower flight off the tee and I seem to be more accurate.  The accuracy could be from me playing a little more, but I have a new found confidence in the driver that wasn't there earlier this year.  I will continue to play this ball knowing that around the greens it does not check up like others I have played.  Adjusting my short game has been the easiest solution.  I wish they were a little less expensive, but maybe I am getting what I pay for.

Went out to play 9 just to hit the AVX vs the TP5X. AVX lost distance-wise off the driver, but not by much. Irons and wedge-wise, the TP5X would hit and go maybe 2 ft, the AVX consistently went about 5 Ft after hitting. On one hole, I hit a 9 iron out of the fairway from 150. Dang AVX was SEVEN feet past the divot! Sheesh. TP5X was only a foot past. I really like the feel of the AVX better, but performance-wise, the TP5X seems to be better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1