TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist AVX - Thoughts?

Pgutzgolf

To me plays just like the v1 but with theower spin off the driver. Had no issues holding greens with irons and getting the ball to check up on pitch it chips

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I won a dozen in a scramble. They are really unremarkable to me with one exception. If you already fly the ball low these things will take you even lower. I had a really hard time getting them in the air off the tee box when hitting a driver. Everywhere else they are ok but in my opinion definitely not $40 plus a dozen worth of a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Here is a full thread on them:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21316-new-titleist-avx-premium-golf-ball/page-9#

There is a lot of good information and personal opinions on them in this thread.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

We have this thread a quick search would have gotten you there... by the way there is a what ball do you play thread where people have talked about it as well... some good things have been said about it and there are multiple people who chip in there so you can get multiple opinions

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I found one of these in the water last week and have been playing it since. It goes straighter and longer, but I found that it didn't even come close to sticking on greens. Even high lofted wedges rolled out, compared to my Srixon Z Star which has awesome stop and stick on greens. I'll pass on it for not only that, but at $48 a dozen it's ridiculously overpriced compared to other much cheaper options that are comparable.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've been using a few yellow AVX's for the past month, and I freaking love them! Awesome flight, great around the greens and off the putter. Bought myself a dozen when I found them on special.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Played the AVX this weekend. Seemed that the ball didn't catch the greens as well as a Pro-V. Anyone else try it yet? I'd be curious to know if you saw the same. Driving, long iron and putts seemed to be equivalent.

I have seen a number of test and talked with friends who have played it and the general consensus seems to be that it plays with slightly lower spin (but not a ton different from the ProV) everywhere. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I like them off my irons and woods. It doesn't spin like a Pro V.

~ Titleist 915 9.5* A1 Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff

~ Titleist 917 15* B1 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6 SR

~ Titleist 818 H1 19* A1 Project X EvenFlow Blue 70 Stiff

~ Titleist 816 H1 21* A1 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+90 Stiff

~ Srixon 565 Forged 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 Regular +1/2"

~ Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48*, 52*, 56* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 T105

~ Cleveland #6 CS 33 1/2â€

SRIXON, The best iron know one know’s about

I play them and have no problem holding greens with them. Do they spin as much as a Pro V? No, but it's not significant enough for me to notice a big difference. Played today using them and they landed soft for me. The gains I've gotten in distance with my driver and irons with this ball have made me switch.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Usually I play ProV1x and tried the AVX for 2 Rounds. I have a pretty high ball flight, so no issues to get it in the air. On the Greens it stopped, but not comparable with the Pro V's. Its good for low spin of the tee, but if you don't have a high amount of spin on the ball for approach shots, probably not the best choice.

WITB:

Driver:  :callaway-small:
  2018 EPIC 8* - Graphite Design Tour AD-Di 6X

FW Wood:  :callaway-small:  3+ 12,5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-BB 8X

Hybrids:     :ping-small:  G Hybrid 18* - Graphite Design Tour AD Hybrid 8X
Irons:       
:taylormade-small:RSi 2 4-PW - KBS Tour V 110 Stiff 

Wedges:   :vokey-small: SM6 CHROME (50*/54*/58*) - KBS WEDGE
Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpg ER 5 - with 25 g weight and 370g in 35' - P2 Classic Tour grip

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus
Bag:  :taylormade-small: 2017 US Open Limited Tour Staff Bag

Shoes:   :footjoy-small: Pro SL limited Ryder Cup Edition 2018

Played a dozen of these and don't prefer the feel to the ProV. The ball performed well, imo, but for me the feel wasn't there. However, the cover on the AVX is much more durable than the ProV. I can often cut ProVs with full, crisp wedge shots and that never happened with the AVX.

I found one in the woods on a course, played some of my best golf with it. I've found that it compares for me to the old ProV1x's. Not worth the extra $

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

For my game these balls are a pretty good fit. It's really just finding a good balance in what I need more.

With the ProV1 and PV1x I was getting too much spin off of the tee and making the rest of the hole harder with poor placement of the drive. I was also getting more spin than I wanted on the greens. I realize there are a lot of ways to address both of these issues (shaft fitting, more practice with short irons) but balls like the AVX really seemed to help out right away. I've had fewer problems with excessive rollout on my approaches compared to spinning the ball back off the green with the ProV1 balls. My drives are better and I seem to have picked up around 6-10 yards depending on the club.

I've seen pretty similar results with the low spinning Chromesoft balls as well.

My average score (I usually only play 9) is trending lower with these balls going from the mid forties down to the low forties with a personal best 38 (+2) yesterday.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

These are not designed to replace ProV's but a compliment to their lineup. I normally bounce between zStars and ProV1x's (I know 2 very diff balls).  The AVX are low spin, low flight balls - so it will never spin like a ProV nor is it supposed to.  If you are a high spin player or need a lower flight for say windy days then these will work for that, if you are a low spin player already then these may spin and fly too low for you.  I used these this spring in WA which tends to get breezy and got a nice low penetrating flight off my driver, 3 wood and hybrids, now distance was a little shorter but I was on the fairway almost every time (now if i can just chip and putt...).  Even off the wedges the flight was noticibly lower but did hold the greens when I needed them too.  I did notice tho with my 7-5 irons a much lower flight but close to same distances.  Another thing to note is these are a softer easier compression ball and in colder weather these will feel firmer than say in the middle of summer.

Overall I would rate these a 4 outta 5 and recommend that you keep a sleeve for those windy spring an fall days.

Nik

22 hcp and dropping (started at 33), 105 mph driver SS

Srixon z565 9.5* w/Rogue I/O 60 stiff w/ 13 gram wght  - 44.5"- D11sw -GP Tour Velvet

Callaway GBB 15* w/Rogue I/O 70 stiff - 42.5" - GP Tour Wrap

Titleist 915h 17* set @20* flat w/ Rogue Black 85H stiff 40.5" - GP Tour Velvet

Titleist 915h 21* set @ 23* flat Speeder Motore Tour Spec 8.8 - 40"- GP Tour Velvet 

Srixon z565 irons 5-6 C-Taper Lite stiff,  Srixon z765 irons PW-7 iron C-Taper Lite stiff - irons 9 thru 4 @ -1/2", PW thru 60* @ 35"  all std lie w/GP Tour Wrap

Vokey SM6 50*/8 F grind DG S200,  56*/10 F grind DG S200,  60*/8 M grind DG S200 

Ping Sigma Ketch B - 33"  w/Superstroke Pistol GTR grip - gaming ProV1x

I played a few different balls this year such as the Snell MTB Red, Vice Tour, and Taylormade Project a.  I was attempting to find a ball that was a little less expensive.  I struggled all year with the flight of my driver.  It seemed as if I was hitting it very high with a lot of spin.  I found an AVX on the course with no scuffs and played it for a while.  The AVX does give me a lower flight off the tee and I seem to be more accurate.  The accuracy could be from me playing a little more, but I have a new found confidence in the driver that wasn't there earlier this year.  I will continue to play this ball knowing that around the greens it does not check up like others I have played.  Adjusting my short game has been the easiest solution.  I wish they were a little less expensive, but maybe I am getting what I pay for.

Went out to play 9 just to hit the AVX vs the TP5X. AVX lost distance-wise off the driver, but not by much. Irons and wedge-wise, the TP5X would hit and go maybe 2 ft, the AVX consistently went about 5 Ft after hitting. On one hole, I hit a 9 iron out of the fairway from 150. Dang AVX was SEVEN feet past the divot! Sheesh. TP5X was only a foot past. I really like the feel of the AVX better, but performance-wise, the TP5X seems to be better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 4 weeks later...

I gave my dad one of the AVX's to try out, and he loves it. He enjoys the flight and feel, but not the price. We'll have to try and get them on a discounted rate second-hand.

I got a deal on a couple of dozen of these. The killer for me is that every long putt I hit seemed to be a foot short. Conditions have been much softer than normal the last couple of months but side by side against the V1X on the practice green they came up short.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have been playing AVX for the last few months off and on but I think it is going to be my ball of choice moving forward. I found the flight off the driver to be marginally lower and a bit longer off the middle irons. I have had no issues at all with spin into greens - generally stop and drop. The main difference from the other ball I play (TP5x) is spin around the green and feel with the AVX feeling considerably softer but doesn't check quite as much as the TP5x. What's interesting is that from say 50 yards - I can't tell much difference in the spin but as I get around the greens the AVX doesn't spin as much. It's not terrible, just different. One of the main reasons I am switching is the way it holds in the wind. I live in Oklahoma and it's basically ALWAYS windy here. 15-25 mph is quite common so having a ball that handles the wind well is paramount. The jury is still out but so far, so good. 

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

If you like the AVX, then I suggest you try the Tour Soft.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

9 hours ago, mdumble21 said:

I gave my dad one of the AVX's to try out, and he loves it. He enjoys the flight and feel, but not the price. We'll have to try and get them on a discounted rate second-hand.

wait for one of those days where eBay has a 15-20% any item deal. I got a dozen for $39

I actually really like the AVX a LOT.  The ProV lines have always spun too much for me but the AVX is perfect.  I never thought I'd go back to paying full boat for a ball retail again, but I've bought 6 dozen of these and love them.  I've been playing really well lately as well so that doesn't hurt either.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

15 hours ago, Joker said:

wait for one of those days where eBay has a 15-20% any item deal. I got a dozen for $39

Yeah, that was my plan too. I know a few discount golf ball websites that offer 50% discounts for excellent quality balls.

Archived