Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Feet Together Drill... Next Step

Usually, when I find that my swing in out of sync, I go back to hitting balls on the practice tee with my feet together.  And, almost always, the drill results in pure shots.

So, my questions are, what is it about this drill that works so well?  What positive aspects of the golf swing are resulting from this exercise?  And, most importantly, how do I take those aspects and apply them to a standard set-up position and golf swing?

Thanks, group!!!  Always wanting to learn more!!!

Bill

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

To me, that drill always helps make a solid, centered swing without swaying or getting out of balance. I will do that drill for a few balls, then widen my stance and try to retain the same feels when I swing.

That drill has helped me slightly narrow my stance, with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Because you can't over swing it takes the sway out of the swing, the body is forced to sequence properly and one can't over swing in the backswing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It helps you rotate in sequence. If you didn't rotate the arms would pull you forward losing balance.

A store pro I knew would spend ages doing it and building speed, rotating in sequence, then widen his stance till a normal stance. He was a very pure striker of the ball.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Usually, when I find that my swing in out of sync, I go back to hitting balls on the practice tee with my feet together.  And, almost always, the drill results in pure shots.

I have a set warm up that I do before each round and practice session.  The goal of the warm up is to get my body and mind ready to play golf or practice.  It concentrates on balance, staying centered, eliminating tension and finding a nice tempo.  I hit 15 balls in the warm up.

The first three balls I hit in warm up are with the feet together drill.  It centers me and establishes a good base for the rest of the day.  I don't wait for something to go wrong--to get out of sync.  I consider it maintenance and I work on each time. Why wait for something to go wrong?  Doing the drill regularly, as a warm up, helps to keep me from getting out of sync.    

If I don't have time to hit the range before a round, I will still do the drill while waiting for the first tee to open up.     

I was a baseball player in high school and also on a competitive travelling golf team in the summers.  The end of high school baseball season overlapped with the beginning of the competitive golf season.  My golf instructor, who I have been going to for 22 years, was/is a big fan of the feet together drill.  The version he had me do involved my heels touching with the feet slightly flared to allow for better balance.  Long story short, the purpose of the drill was/is to prevent too much of a lateral move in my downswing, which my instructor says is a carry over from playing baseball.  The lateral move was always worse when playing both sports at the same time.  I haven't played baseball in 18 years, but, even now, the move can creep into my swing and I get too much lateral movement on the way down.  Old habits die hard I guess, but when the lateral moves starts creeping back up, the feet together drill still really helps bring me  back in sync.

I was a baseball player in high school and also on a competitive travelling golf team in the summers.  The end of high school baseball season overlapped with the beginning of the competitive golf season.  My golf instructor, who I have been going to for 22 years, was/is a big fan of the feet together drill.  The version he had me do involved my heels touching with the feet slightly flared to allow for better balance.  Long story short, the purpose of the drill was/is to prevent too much of a lateral move in my downswing, which my instructor says is a carry over from playing baseball.  The lateral move was always worse when playing both sports at the same time.  I haven't played baseball in 18 years, but, even now, the move can creep into my swing and I get too much lateral movement on the way down.  Old habits die hard I guess, but when the lateral moves starts creeping back up, the feet together drill still really helps bring me  back in sync.

As a baseball player for years ( even into my 30's ) I had some of the same issues. This drill was a big help.  i later developed a bit of a sway off the ball, and one tip my instructor gave me was just to imagine there was a dumbbell on my left thigh. For whatever reason, that resonated with me, and sometimes when my swing goes south, I'll realize I'm swaying and get back to that feeling.

Ping G400 12' Sft stock Alta shaft

Callaway xr 3 and 4 hybrids

Callaway xr 4 wood

Adams CB3 irons. kbs tour 90 r flex

Taylor Made ef wedge atv grind 54'

Titleist 50' vokey sm6

Titleist 58' vokey sm6 K grind

I think the feet together drill is also good for a sway off the ball on the backswing because the whole point is to keep you nice and centered to promote rotation and not a lateral move. 

Swaying on the backswing really has never been an issue for me, but on the way down I would and (sometimes still) slide way out in front of the ball leading to either a big block or big hook if I try to save it with my hands.  That lateral move really only happens now when I try get extra distance, usually to try to set up reaching a par 5 in two, and go at it hard with my driver or three wood. I suppose that makes sense though, subconsciously it's like I'm trying to jack a home run or something.

Every once in a while you read something, and think💡 I have some of the same tendencies in my golf swing, when I get out of sorts in my swing it generally starts with swaying. I've never taken lessons, so I don't have a base to go back to, but this drill sounds like it could be of help to me. I've never tried this drill before, but next time out I will. 💡

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Every once in a while you read something, and think I have some of the same tendencies in my golf swing, when I get out of sorts in my swing it generally starts with swaying. I've never taken lessons, so I don't have a base to go back to, but this drill sounds like it could be of help to me. I've never tried this drill before, but next time out I will.

Awesome reply.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta tell you guys, I've to 2 buckets of balls in the last week, which is a ton for me because I do t spend a lot of time on the range banging balls. So I started with some easy swings, used my 58° and just put me feet about 6 inches apart, and just took some smooth swings to a flag about 80 yards away, chunked the first couple shots, I think I was trying to hard, then started hitting them better and better, easy full swings 80 yard shot, switched to PW, same thing nice easy full swings, hit the shots directionally well, but a bit left. What I found was, i felt like I was lined up correctly, but I was actually aimed to the left, I felt like my feet were aimed a bit right of target, but my hips were closed and facing to the left. So I adjusted my stance a bit and started hitting the ball right at the flags. I think it really helped with the timing, which is really good. So I shot 93 on Labor Day, 81 yesterday, and 78 today. Going the right direction. This tip really helped. I am so glad I came across this here.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

So, my questions are, what is it about this drill that works so well?  What positive aspects of the golf swing are resulting from this exercise?  And, most importantly, how do I take those aspects and apply them to a standard set-up position and golf swing?

Thanks, group!!!  Always wanting to learn more!!!

Bill

You know where the bottom of your swing arc is.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived