Sign in to follow this  
downlowkey

3+ before 25 over the past 30 = 11

I'm no math whiz but that equation looks wonky and until roughly 3:00 PM EST, Sunday 8/26/18 the answer was actually "10".

But after grinding out a final round (-2) 69 at The Northern Trust, Bryson Dechambeau turned it up to "Eleven" and joined the following list of professional golfers that have won 3 or more PGA Tour events before their 25th birthday over the past 30 years: Phil, Tiger, A. Scott, Sergio, A.K., Rory, Spieth, JT, Hideki, P. Reed.

Of the 11 names currently occupying this list, only 3 have yet to claim a major title: A.K. - this mystery deserves further study; Hideki - it's only a matter of time; Dechambeau - the subject of this thread...

Alright, I've thrown enough historical numbers at you. Let's focus the rest of this discussion on the "Mad Scientist". Love him or hate him (I personally fall somewhere in the middle), this man is playing a different game than the rest of the tour; and quirky as it may be, the stats are getting harder to ignore.

FedEx Cup Rank: 1

OWGR: 11 (how serendipitous)

2018 Cuts - PGA Tour : 19/23 (technically adjusted for injury related WDs 21/23)

Total Strokes Gained: 5th

B.A.D. has been making history since his college tenure (5th player to hold both NCAA Championship and U.S. Amateur in the same year - Nicklaus, Woods, Phil, R. Moore) and upon turning Pro in 2016, seems hell bent on elevating his game to equally rarefied professional ranks.

But how is he really getting it done? This question is the heart of the matter and what I find so intriguing. During interviews he exhibits a supreme (to the point of annoyance) confidence but just last month cameras captured the driving range meltdown reminiscent of a weekend hacker. The foundation of his game champions accuracy over length but coming down the stretch we have seen the swing science go awry with some shots that are absolutely off the map. It's now clear that the protractor wasn't his sole trump card.

So let's suss it out Spies...

• Like 1

Don't know the inside game of any of the pros well enough to comment on the "How", but - do agree that Bryson is an interesting character, and that it will be also be interesting to see how his game / career continue to develop and evolve.

• Like 1

I wonder if some of the awry shots have to do with his new F8+ driver being 2 degrees more upright compared to his old King LTD Pro.  :huh:

• Like 1

I wonder if some of the awry shots have to do with his new F8+ driver being 2 degrees more upright compared to his old King LTD Pro.  :huh:

If that's indeed the case, I wonder how much further right his tee shot on 18 yesterday would have been with the flatter oriented LTD?

• Like 1

Also does anyone else find it odd that Bryson doesn't use the One Length version of the Cobra King wedges??

If that's indeed the case, I wonder how much further right his tee shot on 18 yesterday would have been with the flatter oriented LTD?

Per article from GolfDigest. "According to Cobra tour rep Ben Schomin, DeChambeau's previous driver, the company's LTD Pro model, had a flatter lie angle at 56 degrees. The F8+ has a 58-degree lie angle, and DeChambeau felt more comfortable with that, which makes sense given that his typical miss is to the right and a more upright lie angle can help mitigate that."

• Like 1

Also does anyone else find it odd that Bryson doesn't use the One Length version of the Cobra King wedges??

I'd surmise the lack of grind options in the King One stamped wedges was the impetus to bag the regular King wedges, built to match the rest of his single length Cobra wrenches.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of Dechambeau. I like anyone who breaks a mold and finds his own swing to get him around the course. 

I think it is a great thing that he is passionate and melts down at times. Good to see someone who is human.

I think too much is made about "The Scientist" calculating all the angles and variables. He just uses physics vocabulary to describe his swing. Cripes Faldo, read a book.

As for wedges, I would assume you want shorter shafts on wedges for more control at partial yardages.

• Like 2

But after grinding out a final round (-2) 69 at The Northern Trust, Bryson Dechambeau turned it up to "Eleven" and joined the following list of professional golfers that have won 3 or more PGA Tour events before their 25th birthday over the past 30 years: Phil, Tiger, A. Scott, Sergio, A.K., Rory, Spieth, JT, Hideki, P. Reed.

As an aside, I remember watching the telecast as Bryson was coming up 18 yesterday and I think it was Faldo who said that Bryson was joining the "exclusive club" of 3+ wins before the age of 25, and I laughed by the time he got to Reed. Not because of animosity, but because if you're touting an exclusive club, it really shouldn't have like 10 dudes in it.

You want exclusive, how about this one from Sean Martin from PGATour.com. 4 guys have won an NCAA, US Am, and 3 times before turning 25. Jack, Phil, Tiger, Bryson. That's it. That's a club to get hyped about, not this 10 person gaggle.

Nothing against you Downlow, just found it funny that this touted as an exclusive club when there's a more exclusive club that they could have referenced on the telecast.

• Like 2

A.K. - this mystery deserves further study; 

FedEx Cup Rank: 1

OWGR: 11 (how serendipitous)

2018 Cuts - PGA Tour : 19/23 (technically adjusted for injury related WDs 21/23)

Total Strokes Gained: 5th

I have no idea who A.K. is but I'm limited in the hypnotic spiritist realm.

And your OWGR number is incorrect.

Capture.JPG

I'd surmise the lack of grind options in the King One stamped wedges was the impetus to bag the regular King wedges, built to match the rest of his single length Cobra wrenches.

If that is the case you would think the tour staff would just hand grind the soles to what he wants and then add weight where necessary.

Now that I say that, maybe its a starting weight issue with the One Length's and how much material would have to be removed to turn the Versatile grind to the WideLow grind he likes in the 55* & 60*....

• Like 1

I have no idea who A.K. is but I'm limited in the hypnotic spiritist realm.

And your OWGR number is incorrect.

attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

A.K. is Anthony Kim

• Like 1

I think he will continue to win and work inside the top 3 in the OWGR by the end of 2018-2019 season. He isn't fazed by the pressure and plays at the highest level no matter the circumstances. This is a recipe for majors.

His mental approach to the game gives him a better understanding of what is happening on the course. It removes variables. He know how the ball will bounce and roll. If you can calculate all of those variables out of the equation, all you have to do is hit the required shot.

I also like his swing a lot and my only concern for him is health. This swing looks tough on the back and wrists.

I also like his swing a lot and my only concern for him is health. This swing looks tough on the back and wrists.

What makes you think that??

If that is the case you would think the tour staff would just hand grind the soles to what he wants and then add weight where necessary.

Now that I say that, maybe its a starting weight issue with the One Length's and how much material would have to be removed to turn the Versatile grind to the WideLow grind he likes in the 55* & 60*....

I'd assume it's the latter case DPatt. Why start shaving weight when you have something near the base grind he wants and the staff can just make it work within those parameters? 

• Like 1

What makes you think that??

Well, for the wrists, whenever you try to lock something in place, and hit the ball and take a divot, it puts more pressure on the wrists and makes the ligaments more susceptible to damage than it they had a little give in them.

Think about a tree, in high wind the big oak that is stick straight and won't bend but breaks, the little tree will bend over sideways but won't break. The locking of the wrists is like the big oak that has not give. Wrists with give are like the little tree that bends but won't break.

As for the back, that is more of guess on my part. I just think with the way that he follows through, he puts more strain on the back to slow the club down, instead of using his arms.

Well, for the wrists, whenever you try to lock something in place, and hit the ball and take a divot, it puts more pressure on the wrists and makes the ligaments more susceptible to damage than it they had a little give in them.

Think about a tree, in high wind the big oak that is stick straight and won't bend but breaks, the little tree will bend over sideways but won't break. The locking of the wrists is like the big oak that has not give. Wrists with give are like the little tree that bends but won't break.

As for the back, that is more of guess on my part. I just think with the way that he follows through, he puts more strain on the back to slow the club down, instead of using his arms.

I don't know how much studying of his swing you have done but I think your mistaken thinking he is locking out his wrists any meaningful amount more than the average player of his caliber. His more upright angle makes it seem like that is the case, but if you go to impact his hands/wrists are in a very familiar position for tour pros. 

As for the slowing down the swing, I still don't see anything that is sign for concern more than any other player and I'm not sure where you are seeing him slow his swing down with his back. He keeps his spine angle through impact and the finish so its not like he is ever making a jerking motion that would be a potential worry for injury.

• Like 3

I think he will continue to win and work inside the top 3 in the OWGR by the end of 2018-2019 season. He isn't fazed by the pressure and plays at the highest level no matter the circumstances. This is a recipe for majors.

His mental approach to the game gives him a better understanding of what is happening on the course. It removes variables. He know how the ball will bounce and roll. If you can calculate all of those variables out of the equation, all you have to do is hit the required shot.

These are exactly the subjects on which I had hoped to dig deeper.

I'm not convinced his self-professed confidence isn't compensation for an overactive gut full of butterflies. In the final pairing, going (+5) the last 5 holes of the Porsche European Open (to lose by 5) indicates to me that he doesn't always constructively channel the pressure. Where I grew up, we tended to label his personality type "high strung". To me, the guy seems to be wound pretty tight - not the typical characterization of an unflappable athlete.

I agree that the goal of his scientific approach is to remove variables and simplify they way he navigates a golf course. I don't entirely grok why the heck it's working against the best in the world.

Regarding the particular swing mechanics; I really like the way he consistently covers the ball. He manages to create plenty of speed but has largely removed the timing variable of an impact release. To me the result it a very quiet and repeatable impact position.

But the guy makes me nervous and the aforementioned characterizations are definitely part and parcel to my feelings. Despite another total meltdown seemingly looming around the corner; it doesn't bear out in the stats. On paper, BAD is Steady Eddy.

The fact that all these contradictions add up to a PGA Tour victory every ~20 events (in a 2 year professional career no less) is puzzling.

• Like 1

I agree with DPatt - if you look at his swing from the front, it isn't all that different from all the other non-single plain swings -wrist action is the same.

Watching him on TV from behind/side it definitely looks locked due to the single plane and upright lie.

Can't comment on the back - so dependent on flexibility. It does look controlled though

• Like 3

These are the exactly the subjects on which I had hoped to dig deeper.

I'm not convinced his self-professed confidence isn't compensation for an overactive gut full of butterflies. In the final pairing, going (+5) the last 5 holes of the Porsche European Open (to lose by 5) indicates to me that he doesn't always constructively channel the pressure. Where I grew up, we tended to label his personality type "high strung". To me, the guy seems to be wound pretty tight - not the typical characterization of an unflappable athlete.

I agree that the goal of his scientific approach is to remove variables and simplify they way we navigates a golf course. I don't entirely grok why the heck it's working against the best in the world.

Regarding the particular swing mechanics; I really like the way he consistently covers the ball. He manages to create plenty of speed but has largely removed the timing variable of an impact release. To me the result it a very quiet and repeatable impact position.

But the guy makes me nervous and the aforementioned characterizations are definitely part and parcel to my feelings. Despite another total meltdown seemingly looming around the corner; it doesn't bear out in the stats. On paper, BAD is Steady Eddy.

The fact that all these contradictions add up to a PGA Tour victory every ~20 events (in a 2 year professional career no less) is puzzling.

Would you say Tiger didn't look like he was wound pretty tight in his early career? Remember when he would kick and cuss after shots - the golf upper crust did a lot of tut tutting.

Can we compare those outbursts by tiger to the meltdowns by Dechambeau? Although, I agree, that display on the range by BAD was just not something you see out there. I feel like Tiger always had the same unflappable demeanor on the range.

• Like 2