Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Podcast About Golf Review Sites

Golfspy_CG2

So Golf Unfiltered. I know many of you are saying who? What? Yeah that's about how big they are.

But none the less Adam the owner of the podcast wrote a piece for his blog and followed it up with a podcast, where he discusses the types, roles and names of the major golf review sites.

I read the piece and listened to the podcast. On the podcast he has two guests, Matt from Plugged In Golf, who was a member of MGS a while back and Michael Vrska formerly R&D Guru of Wilson Golf for many years and Adams Golf before that. Vrska is one of the most respected persons in the golf Industry period.

The first 24 minures or so is Matf and Adam basically patting themselves on the back and along the way taking what is surely a shot at MGS without using MGS by name. It's around the 17:24 mark or so if you want to FF.

The entire part with Vrska which begins around 24:00 is very good and worth the listen. He is complimentary of MGS but says it's not unexpected for some OEM to dispute the criteria of the testing, but says he generally believes the data, as he is a big data guy.

There is one part toward the end of that section where Adam ask Vrska about how OEM feel about the feedback from forum members saying both THP and WRX do a good job of that. But not acknowledging MGS's huge amount of forum testing.

Now I was/am a member at both those sites and had more posts in each of them than I currently do here. So I would know. Niether come close in offering the amount or quality of community reviews that MGS does. And that's not homer'ism. It's a plain fact.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on the podcast. I know it's an investment of 40 minutes. But give it a go and let's here what you all think.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/1/b/31b3335a9747560d/GU_171_EQUIPMENT_REVIEWS.mp3?c_id=22913251&forcedn=attachment&cs_id=22913251&destination_id=402570&expiration=1535414321&hwt=b92cb4cfa56ba52f0993818cb38e456d

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I read the article and I listened to the podcast. I thought it was interesting that Adam called out some biases in his article, but selectively did so. I personally feel there are a lot of other biases that weren't called to the forefront, which should have been. 

When it comes to general perception/knowledge, I feel that MGS is more well known for how deep the site dives into statistics and presents it's reviews in that way, so as to be unbiased (regardless of what Adam said in his article). The forum reviews are starting to gain traction in popularity, as evidenced by all the new signups that flood the testing threads when one is announced. However I do feel like some other sites are more well known for the user reviews, vs. the site testing. 

Different forums have different feels. That's not a bad thing, IMO. Usually the reviews, and the biases, come through with those feels. I think that not recognizing the member reviews here at MGS is a huge disservice. Look at the Cleveland Launcher driver thread & results - if that review was done on another site, every single reviewer may have been fawning all over the driver. Because MGS has a rep for giving solid, data-driven reviews on the whole, reviewers know that if they give an honest review also then it'll be accepted for what it is. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I haven't listened to his podcasts in awhile because they were boring and his tone is very bland and doesn't draw in the attention. Not surprised by the bias due to the promotion he gets from at least one of those sites

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I haven't listened to his podcasts in awhile because they were boring and his tone is very bland and doesn't draw in the attention. Not surprised by the bias due to the promotion he gets from at least one of those sites

Yeah I skip his solo podcasts. Most of his guests tend to be decent, especially when they work for an OEM, or in Vrska's case, have worked for a number of them over the years. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I read the article and I listened to the podcast. I thought it was interesting that Adam called out some biases in his article, but selectively did so. I personally feel there are a lot of other biases that weren't called to the forefront, which should have been.

When it comes to general perception/knowledge, I feel that MGS is more well known for how deep the site dives into statistics and presents it's reviews in that way, so as to be unbiased (regardless of what Adam said in his article). The forum reviews are starting to gain traction in popularity, as evidenced by all the new signups that flood the testing threads when one is announced. However I do feel like some other sites are more well known for the user reviews, vs. the site testing.

Different forums have different feels. That's not a bad thing, IMO. Usually the reviews, and the biases, come through with those feels. I think that not recognizing the member reviews here at MGS is a huge disservice. Look at the Cleveland Launcher driver thread & results - if that review was done on another site, every single reviewer may have been fawning all over the driver. Because MGS has a rep for giving solid, data-driven reviews on the whole, reviewers know that if they give an honest review also then it'll be accepted for what it is.

Lots of good points there. I was going to make some of the same but wanted people to listen to it without too much pre judgement from me.

The fact he has a paid sponsor in THP naturally is only going to say glowing things about them. It also led to the fact that he backed out of having me on to discuss the health of the golf course industry because THP ownership told him they didn't want a member of a competing site on. Ha so that in of itself explains a lot of the bias in it.

You broght up a good example of the Launcher HB drivers and I was going to mention that as well.

There has never been feedback like that on THP

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived