TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wrist cocking....

Sluggo42

I've been playing with an earlier wrist cock the last few games, not quite like DJ, but definately sooner than I used to, and I'm really starting to like it. Really crisping the irons and, getting a bit more draw that I need to account for.

It doesn't seem to work for the driver yet tho, I'll have to try to work that out at the range.

I used to break almost at the top, but now I'm finding that earlier seems better.

How bout you?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Thinking about the wrists or trying to do anything with them consciously just spells absolute disaster for me. I let the weight of the clubhead on the backswing set them, and once I feel that happen, I know my backswing is done. 

Obviously our handicaps are WAY different, so I'm going with what I've learned works for me between trial & error as well as lessons :D

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I experimented with the DJ early wrist cock myself and ended up absolutely loving it. Like you the irons were crisp right away, I was amazed at the difference something so subtle produced. The driver did take a while to get down. Was hitting the ball really low at first. After a few days of working on it and really focusing on finishing with more of a uppercut I had it. I have seen a improvement in ball sticking since adding the earlier wrist cock.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't need anymore swing thoughts when I golf haha. Though I've toyed with this in the past and it's never worked out well for me...

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Padraig Harrington has apparently been experimenting with his own wrist set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23ef_4Sys4

That move with his front foot doesn't seem nearly as goofy after this recent development.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Thinking about the wrists or trying to do anything with them consciously just spells absolute disaster for me. I let the weight of the clubhead on the backswing set them, and once I feel that happen, I know my backswing is done.

Obviously our handicaps are WAY different, so I'm going with what I've learned works for me between trial & error as well as lessons :D

I believe it does for many golfers. I know leadbetter teaches it but there's been very few instructors that either I've been to or watch on various social media platforms even talk about it. Most focus more on keeping a flat or slightly bowed wrist more than cock/hinge

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Padraig Harrington has apparently been experimenting with his own wrist set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23ef_4Sys4

That move with his front foot doesn't seem nearly as goofy after this recent development.

Well, that looks a little different. I can't really comment since was -20 or something and would beat the crap out of me.

Anyway, I don't think there is one right way to cock your wrist. I think it is more a instinct thing than anything else. I just let my wrists cock naturally and it works fine. The bowed or flat VS cupped is the bigger issue.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If we're talking full swing it just happens or that's how it feels at least. If I'm flat then I know I'm not doing it right. For short game (100 and in if I'm honest) the wrist break depends on the shot I'm trying to hit.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

One of the problems with an early wrist cock is you become disconnected from your body because your hands rather than your body begin the swing which could keep you from making a full shoulder turn.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Yea-

I'm not sure if I was just late before, or if I'm early now.

But, today I kept it going and hit some really solid shots.

I like it because I'm getting a slight draw now, and my distance is pretty solid at 8 iron = 150, and down the line.

It's starting to get ingrained now- so I hope it's ok

Yea-

I'm not sure if I was just late before, or if I'm early now.

But, today I kept it going and hit some really solid shots.

I like it because I'm getting a slight draw now, and my distance is pretty solid at 8 iron = 150, and down the line.

It's starting to get ingrained now- so I hope it's ok

If it works, it is okay. It doesn't matter how it works, if it does, that's all that matters.

I can't really remember where I cocked my wrists--i think it might have been  just at waist level but I'm not sure. I don't feel flexible enough to simulate a golf swing to check it out.

I remember trying to have the butt end of the grip, my left knee, my chin, and the ball in a straight line, and then pulling the butt toward the ball, all while keeping my left heel flat down.  With my flexibility, even as a young man, it didn't make for a very long backswing.   

I do know that I tried to uncock the wrists late,

staying inside,

hitting to "right center" because the ball would draw back,

and following through up the target line

rather than allowing the club to curl naturally behind me. 

I later came to calling that the Nike Swoosh, even though I don't remember ever using anything from Nike

That resulted in my never sustaining anything better than an eight, and also, winding up with a really bad back.

220 yd 6 iron?

Whoa!

Yes.But than the next hole, it could be 120 yards dead right.Im just way too inconsistent yet

Ahhh..

Perhaps you need to break your wrists at the top... “wink”

One of the things I have always found interesting with my swing is the difference between feel and reality. I have changed things in my swing that feel so different than what I've done before that it's amazing. And then I'll watch swing on video and it looks almost exactly the same. I have tried different wrist cocks recently and some work and some don't. A lot of new age instructors teach only wrist angles and don't talk about the plane much if any. Honestly if it is working for you stick with it. 

What is the happening with the driver? 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

One of the things I have always found interesting with my swing is the difference between feel and reality. I have changed things in my swing that feel so different than what I've done before that it's amazing. And then I'll watch swing on video and it looks almost exactly the same. I have tried different wrist cocks recently and some work and some don't. A lot of new age instructors teach only wrist angles and don't talk about the plane much if any. Honestly if it is working for you stick with it.

Yep, I always focus on good balance and staying "rooted to the ground and on video that is *cough* not what happens.

I also try to bow my left wrist but it is just about flat to a little cupped. It works though.

I'm not trying it with the driver as the few times I did created low pull hooks, so until I get to the range again, the driver is off the “new”, and staying with the old wrist set at the top.

You're probably correct that without a serious slo-mo video, it's probably not a big visual difference. But it sure is to me.

It's like it's already cocked when I get to the top, rather than getting up there, and then cocking the wrists.

I feel like it's easier to let it go with the early set...

Not sure how the driver will go once I have a little time with it.

I found it with literally 3 balls left at the range last week, and I've been working it in with the last 2 rounds..

But I have to admit, it feels as significant as the day I figured out how to throw a curve with the bowling ball

I sometimes get near the top and the wrist cock 'feels' like it hasn't happened which throws me off. I like an early 'set' similar to Faldo/leadbetter preset drill but recently I havent which brings the clubhead inside the hands and causes thins/blocks/hooks/fats.

Going to range today and do the preset drill to ingrain wrist cocking on time. Poulter also appears to cock early (that sounds so wrong lol) and Poulter is playing really well.

Thanks for the thread and reminder as wrist cocking before nearing the top also feels more natural.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I've always been a wrist cocker, but recently I've been keeping my wrist locked throughout my swing. For me, it has allowed the face to stay square and reduce my misshits by 70-80%. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's really helped me find the center of the club and hit them straighter. Look at Bryson's swing. Straight back, straight through, with very little wrist action. His swing has been called one of the simplest swings, and one of the easiest to stay consistent.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

His wrists actually are cocked at the top of his backswing, otherwise, his club would still be pointing in the direction of his arms. It's certainly not John Daly “ish”, but it's still there. It's one of the compound levers within the swing.

His wrists actually are cocked at the top of his backswing, otherwise, his club would still be pointing in the direction of his arms. It's certainly not John Daly “ish”, but it's still there. It's one of the compound levers within the swing.

Yeah I agree. I said little wrist action.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

So anyways, after half a dozen rounds with the early wrist set, my ball striking has done nothing but improve.

I wish I could better express what it is that Im doing.

Its a little bit like a slight forward press, which starts cocking them, and then as the club continues back to where the arms are at about 9:00 o'clock, and moving, the club is swinging up to almost straight up. So they're almost set by say 10:00 o'clock.

So then However much of a turn I want to take, I'm already set. And if I want to hit a lower flight, I just hold on a hair longer on the swing. And with the recent talk about playing wedges lower for more control, I think this is a good format for me to use as I start trying to work on that concept, as everyone seems to be in agreement that its the "better" approach for the shorter distances in a lot of situations. And certainly an area I was fairly ignorant about.

Even my regular playing buddy has commented about how crisp the balls are getting struck, and distances have actually crept up a few yards. And even longer irons are better.

I don't know that this an acceptable , generally accepted "swing tip" or not, but (FOR ME) its been really eye opening, and I just wanted to throw it out there for guys that are "searching" for their swing, as perhaps a helpful hint.

So anyways, after half a dozen rounds with the early wrist set, my ball striking has done nothing but improve.

I wish I could better express what it is that Im doing.

Its a little bit like a slight forward press, which starts cocking them, and then as the club continues back to where the arms are at about 9:00 o'clock, and moving, the club is swinging up to almost straight up. So they're almost set by say 10:00 o'clock.

So then However much of a turn I want to take, I'm already set. And if I want to hit a lower flight, I just hold on a hair longer on the swing. And with the recent talk about playing wedges lower for more control, I think this is a good format for me to use as I start trying to work on that concept, as everyone seems to be in agreement that its the "better" approach for the shorter distances in a lot of situations. And certainly an area I was fairly ignorant about.

Even my regular playing buddy has commented about how crisp the balls are getting struck, and distances have actually crept up a few yards. And even longer irons are better.

I don't know that this an acceptable , generally accepted "swing tip" or not, but (FOR ME) its been really eye opening, and I just wanted to throw it out there for guys that are "searching" for their swing, as perhaps a helpful hint.

which is what nearly all the greats do, club should be 'set' when lead arm is parrallel to the ground. The issue I get (which causes lots of terrible casting) is letting the club 'fall back' instead of pointing more upright at 9 o clock. But when it does it's a joy to hit pure strikes.

thanks again for reminding me as my game had fallen apart recently as I forgot this while working on a decent turn resulting in a laid off club and theres no way back from that in the downswing unless your timing is perfect to square the face.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Just remember, Paul Azinger played with a cupped wrist, because of the way he swung the club.... Just like anything in golf, just because pros do it, doesn't mean it's a prescription for success with your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

It never turns out good doing anything ‘major” in the swing like wrist cocking.Many will shorten their arc width and natural turn rotation.It might work now, but let's see how it goes in a month or two.

you do know it happens in everyones swing, it's just when is the OP's point.

it played well again today, its money!

I might be taking a bit more divot, but the ball doesn't care, because its already on its way to the dance...

Archived