Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mizuno JPX919 Irons...oh my gawd...

The tours are too hot. Maybe this year is the year for new irons.... ;)

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I was sold on the i500's based on hitting the i700 when I was getting fit for my Ping g400 hybrids until I saw Tony's pictures and the review of the "distance players irons."  I LOVE my Mizuno experience with both the MP-59s that I upgraded to 850 Forged when I decided I needed a touch more forgiveness in my long irons.  I'm not happy with my fit on the 850's (they convinced me to go with 1/2" long as opposed to the 1" long I've been playing for nearly 20 years) so instead of reshafting, I'm looking at a new set.

These are stunning and if they maintain the buttery feel I'm used to, I'm all over them next spring!

Greg
Ponte Vedra, FL

Driver - Cobra F6+, Hzrdus HC Yellow, XStiff
3W Tour Exotics 7 beta, Black Matrix, XStiff
3H Ping G400
4-PW Mizuno 850 Forged, KBS C-Taper Lite
52, 56 & 60 Cleveland Mack Daddy
Putter - Scotty Cameron

Been looking to upgrade for awhile, saw an Ad on Facebook, and Looks Very Enticing! Please Update if you take them for a ride!

Driver 2007 Taylormade Burner 460 9.5 Aldila Rip Alpha 80 Stiff

FW     XCG6 15 18

Hybrid XCG6 Steel 7 Wood 21

Irons TM RKTBLDz Cavity Back 4-pw

Wedges PinSeeker CNC Milled 52-56-60

Sxxxxy Cameron Golo 5 34.5

Ball TM TP5

15 Handicap(On the Recovery Trail!)

Started Playing 2003

2 Rounds a Month(wish for 8)

SwingSpeed 92-96

Favorite Club-Toss up, 7wood-Putter

Hitting these tomorrow.

Excited

I'm excited to hear what your impression is. I looked online, but no demo days near me for Mizuno. Will have to wait until a nearby store has some they'll let me test.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was all set to go buy the I210's, but then I saw the 919 tour release. Going to have to hit these first before I buy anything...

Ping G400 12' Sft stock Alta shaft

Callaway xr 3 and 4 hybrids

Callaway xr 4 wood

Adams CB3 irons. kbs tour 90 r flex

Taylor Made ef wedge atv grind 54'

Titleist 50' vokey sm6

Titleist 58' vokey sm6 K grind

Oh man is that one good looking iron...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Man those look great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Joe!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My awesome driving range (Pennington Golf Center) had another incredible demo day. This time it was Mizuno, featuring the entire new lineup for 919 irons.

Hot Metal

Perhaps one of the nicest GI/borderline SGI irons there is. The call metallic look is absolutely fantastic. These clubs do have a good amount of offset, especially in the longer irons. Just for fun I took a couple of swings with the 4 iron and it took off like a rocket. Golfers that need more distance and easier launch without sacrificing looks will need to check out this offering for sure.

Forged

Without a question the best looking Forged offering to date from Mizuno. The all metallic look is present here and it looks stunning. Top line is pretty darn thin for a GI club. You can see the back end of the cavity at address in the long irons, but nothing after the 5 iron. Feel was fantastic and launch/distance seemed as expected. I can see these duking it out with the srixon 585 and whatever Callaway has up their sleeve to replace the Apex as the top iron in this forged GI category.

919 Tour

Really classic looking. The new finish looks tremendous. Looks will come down to personal preference, but I prefer the looks/styling of the 900 Tours. From my pictures above, you can clearly see that not much has changed from a sole perspective. Mizuno says they've thinned the top line a bit, but this was not noticeable at address or even up close. Feel was pretty darn similar to the JPX 900 Tours. If you held a gun to my head I guess I would say the 919's feel/sound the tiniest bit more muted on off center hits, but I don't think it's really noticeable. Did I see anything performance wise that would make me want to upgrade from the 900 Tour to the 919 Tour? I can't say I did. The 919 Tour is great successor to the 900 Tour, but I personally saw nothing to give me the urge to switch just yet

If anyone has specific questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer!

Yeah I have a question...Srixon or Mizuno based on your two demo days? In other words your current set gets stolen, which way do you go?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Yeah I have a question...Srixon or Mizuno based on your two demo days? In other words your current set gets stolen, which way do you go?

Oh man - that's a toss up.  Assuming I couldn't do a head to head fitting?  I don't know if I could choose.  They are so close.

Oh man - that's a toss up. Assuming I couldn't do a head to head fitting? I don't know if I could choose. They are so close.

Were you hitting off turf or grass? If grass any benefit to the v sole on the Srixon vs. the Mizuno?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Were you hitting off turf or grass? If grass any benefit to the v sole on the Srixon?

Mats. Loved the refined v sole. Much cleaner and less clunkier. I have a shallow AOA so I love they made the sole thinner. It's why I loved the 900 Tours over the 745s.

Thanks for the write up Joe. I recently had a fitting with the 900 Tour, and the results were remarkably consistent. Hopefully I can get them at "run out" pricing, as it looks like the 919 Tour perform very similarly.  

Probably won't stop me trying them if I get a chance though!

Did you go straight to your current shaft and lie angle at the demo day?

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Thanks for the write up Joe. I recently had a fitting with the 900 Tour, and the results were remarkably consistent. Hopefully I can get them at "run out" pricing, as it looks like the 919 Tour perform very similarly.

Probably won't stop me trying them if I get a chance though!

Did you go straight to your current shaft and lie angle at the demo day?

Yeah, but then I went to realized that I needed two move up to extra stiff (which I had been guessing based on the change in flight I've been seeing in my irons)

Thanks for the write up on these, glad to hear they do more than just look pretty  :D

You mentioned you didn't notice enough of a change to upgrade from the 900s - if you were buying a new set today would you go for the 900s at a slight discount or grab the 919s?

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Thanks for the write up on these, glad to hear they do more than just look pretty :D

You mentioned you didn't notice enough of a change to upgrade from the 900s - if you were buying a new set today would you go for the 900s at a slight discount or grab the 919s?

Honestly I'd go 900s. Similar performance, would be cheaper and I prefer the overall looks of the 900 (though the finish on the 919s is supposed to wear better

The idea of BK changing platforms after the success he's had with the 900s is hard to fathom.

Lol! That sounds specific enough to be derived from personal experience.

The Forged lineup specifically, looks like they strapped the hood of Buick LeSabre onto a Ferrari. But the likelihood of glimpsing the back of any iron when it's in use is probably about the same as managing to get your elbow into your ear. I'm sure they are an incredible set of wrenches.

You gotta figure Brooks is at least going to get a shot at them and if he likes them more he'll play em. His club choice when he starts the new season will be telling as to whether he thinks they're a viable upgrade since Mizuno can't contractually force him into the newest equipment.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

You gotta figure Brooks is at least going to get a shot at them and if he likes them more he'll play em. His club choice when he starts the new season will be telling as to whether he thinks they're a viable upgrade since Mizuno can't contractually force him into the newest equipment.

Brooks actually hit them several times throughout development and helped Mizuno make some changes.  He's no doubt going to give them a shot

My awesome driving range (Pennington Golf Center) had another incredible demo day. This time it was Mizuno, featuring the entire new lineup for 919 irons.

Hot Metal

Perhaps one of the nicest GI/borderline SGI irons there is. The call metallic look is absolutely fantastic. These clubs do have a good amount of offset, especially in the longer irons. Just for fun I took a couple of swings with the 4 iron and it took off like a rocket. Golfers that need more distance and easier launch without sacrificing looks will need to check out this offering for sure.

Forged

Without a question the best looking Forged offering to date from Mizuno. The all metallic look is present here and it looks stunning. Top line is pretty darn thin for a GI club. You can see the back end of the cavity at address in the long irons, but nothing after the 5 iron. Feel was fantastic and launch/distance seemed as expected. I can see these duking it out with the srixon 585 and whatever Callaway has up their sleeve to replace the Apex as the top iron in this forged GI category.

919 Tour

Really classic looking. The new finish looks tremendous. Looks will come down to personal preference, but I prefer the looks/styling of the 900 Tours. From my pictures above, you can clearly see that not much has changed from a sole perspective. Mizuno says they've thinned the top line a bit, but this was not noticeable at address or even up close. Feel was pretty darn similar to the JPX 900 Tours. If you held a gun to my head I guess I would say the 919's feel/sound the tiniest bit more muted on off center hits, but I don't think it's really noticeable. Did I see anything performance wise that would make me want to upgrade from the 900 Tour to the 919 Tour? I can't say I did. The 919 Tour is great successor to the 900 Tour, but I personally saw nothing to give me the urge to switch just yet

Thanks for this write up, I love my 850's still but with the upgrades they've made since then it seems like it could be worth giving these the comparison test.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, jlukes said:

Hot Metal

Forged

919 Tour

Sorry, this is an old bump but...

I have been avoiding going to the shops as to not tempt myself. Not sure if you still remember it or not, but the 919's look like they have more offset than our 900's? They took the 900s off the shelf at my local shop, but at address I couldn't help but notice that there looks to be some noticeable offset to the point where it caught my eye, and I haven't ever caught myself noticing it on mine. Spec sheets read the same values, but not sure if you noticed it more or if I'm just weird?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Sorry, this is an old bump but...
I have been avoiding going to the shops as to not tempt myself. Not sure if you still remember it or not, but the 919's look like they have more offset than our 900's? They took the 900s off the shelf at my local shop, but at address I couldn't help but notice that there looks to be some noticeable offset to the point where it caught my eye, and I haven't ever caught myself noticing it on mine. Spec sheets read the same values, but not sure if you noticed it more or if I'm just weird?
Maybe the thinner top line made it look different. I don't remember any notable difference in the offset