Anybody dabble in gambling on golf?

When it comes to betting on sports I mainly stick to Football. I know enough about it (both College and NFL) to be comfortable putting a little money down on a game or two throughout the year. I'm not big time or anything but every once and a while having a little riding on a game can be fun. I also do the whole draft kings thing as well as it can make even the dullest games interesting throughout the season.

One thing I have never tried however is putting any money down on golf. I don't know the first thing about how to go about it. What to look for? Which Golfers are stronger on certain courses? Who play better in rough weather? Who may like to have a few cold ones the night before a tournament? Do those cold ones help?

I am becoming more familiar as I watch more golf, but still would like to know some things to look for so I'm not just throwing my money away.

Anybody have some tips for a newbie trying to get in to golf betting?

Any big win/loss stories?

Feel free to post them all.

Also, if this falls within a morality issue I can remove this post but just wanted to throw the topic out there for anyone interested.

so many variables in golf its a lottery on the day, bad bounce or lipped out putt and your money is gone.

A small flutter to make a Major interesting is good fun though

Only ever bet on myself against buddies! Usually for only like $5  :P

Same here. I know how much to bet or how little to bet depending on the day. And then there are presses. 

• Like 1

There were always the side bets, but the laughs were there, win or lose.

The flagrant cheating would infuriate more serious linksters, but golf was always a social game for me and the comedy came with the socializing.  I wasn't good enough to get get super serious about the game, as much as I loved it..

I had my fill of competition elsewhere.  I discovered at an early age that measuring myself against somebody else was a potential distraction from discovering my own potential. 

That carried over to golf, as well.  I didn't mind buying the drinks if I played well but couldn't cover the strokes--as long as I had fun.  It wasn't like we were betting long money.

Same thing with betting ponies or sports book.  It never became a problem because i never bet beyond the entertainment value. 

As for cards, I've never played in a serious money game.  The Rubbers Workers outing was the closest I ever came to that.  They knew which marks from other unions to invite. I just considered it payment for the golf and dinner.

Mostly just family stuff, though, and now that generation with whom I played cards is gone. 

I wasn't cheated when they distributed character flaws, but at least gambling was never a problem.

Before I had a gaming license in Nevada I bet on sports a lot while I was out there. Not so much these days due to license requirements. Best bet was Spieth at 25-1 the year he won the Masters. Turned a $50 bet into some nice new golf gear. Best part was at was at the final round to watch him win it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2