TESTERS WANTED! ×

Buh Bye Johnny Miller?

Mr. 82

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2018/8/30/johnny-50-years-on-the-road-may-be-enough

Oh please, please, please, please let this actually happen!!!

“It's been 50 years on the road, and part of me is saying, 'That's enough,'” Miller said Tuesday to promote the Safeway Open in Napa, California. “I haven't gotten to that point yet. They're still trying to convince me to keep going. So we'll see. I usually listen to my gut, so to speak, and my wife. Right now, I am planning on scaling down even more. We'll see what happens. Maybe I will say, ‘Hey, one more year.'”

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I never understood all the hate for J Miller.

I actually like him as a commentator.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I guess that is why I like him. I like that he gets a little negative with the pros, doesn't pull punches, says "That was a bad shot," throws shade for laying up. It's kind of fun and I figure pros should be able to take it.

Sure he makes the face-palm comment here and there, but show me another golf announcer who doesn't (Gary McCord can get down right bizarre). Talking for 4-5 hours about golf can't be easy. 

Finally. I'm done with his I'm better than anyone attitude. His commentary in general doesn't keep my attention. There at several current GC guys I would like to see replace him

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So... Am I the only one planning on attending the virtual retirement party on Facebook live?

You aren't going to miss his complaining about pros wearing tight shirts? Pure insightful sports journalism!

Ditto

People want honesty and then when they get it they don't like it. I like Miller and will miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess that is why I like him. I like that he gets a little negative with the pros, doesn't pull punches, says "That was a bad shot," throws shade for laying up. It's kind of fun and I figure pros should be able to take it.

Sure he makes the face-palm comment here and there, but show me another golf announcer who doesn't (Gary McCord can get down right bizarre). Talking for 4-5 hours about golf can't be easy. 

Ditto

People want honesty and then when they get it they don't like it. I like Miller and will miss him.

I think Miller is one of the best at doing what he does. Sure, he's not perfect but neither am I. But I like a man that tells it like it is and is willing to stick his neck out. And Johnny will do that. I wish he'd had more of a senior career going for him. Back in the day the man was an awesome player.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm a Johnny Miller fan. In fact he was one of my favorite players when I started golfing.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I like Johnny Miller too, he tells it like it is and doesn't sugarcoat things. If it is a bad shot, it is a bad shot.

I also like that he will critique Tiger just like everyone else.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Did anyone else watching the Dell this afternoon catch Miller describing Tyrell Hatton's lie on #18 as a "muffburger"? Lol!

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

If they put a cheerleader in his place golf will be a lot more boring to watch.  You need someone there who doesn't pull punches to counterbalance all the rah rah rah stuff and constant fawning over how great the pros are.   They are great and we all know that but Johnny has glimpsed a level of golf most of us will never see and his no holds barred insights are very refreshing in this day and age. 

Don't like some of his comments about the obvious like if he would have hit that on the right line and right speed he would have made it. Some, well duh comments but bottom line is he understands the swing and the game, he calls it like it is which I do appreciate and I'll take him to Joe Buck, Brad Faxon and a host of others any day.

I'll miss him just like I miss Keith Jackson; hate seeing the names I grew up with leaving the scene. I've always enjoyed his commentary and his career stats are worthy of a little bragging IMHO.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think anyone in any position for too long can become stale.  Johnny has always said what he felt and has never deviated from that.  Show me any public personality that doesn't have an ego.  I do feel they need to change things up.  This next year with the Fed-Ex changes would be a good opportunity.  Like I said I have respect for the entire golf announcing community.  If I need a break, there is a Mute Button.  So here is he million dollar question, should they replace him with an former LPGA professional? 

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I think anyone in any position for too long can become stale.  Johnny has always said what he felt and has never deviated from that.  Show me any public personality that doesn't have an ego.  I do feel they need to change things up.  This next year with the Fed-Ex changes would be a good opportunity.  Like I said I have respect for the entire golf announcing community.  If I need a break, there is a Mute Button.  So here is he million dollar question, should they replace him with an former LPGA professional? 

I think you will see a mix of people in the Miller spot next season until they find someone who clicks. I also think Miller will come back for some of the bigger events.

Personally, I will not miss Miller at all.

I do love it when announcers "call 'em as they see 'em" (IMO, Steve Stone was the best during his time in the Cubs booth), but Miller frequently comes off as bitter and arrogant. His inability to recognize and acknowledge excellent play as anything other than driven by modern equipment frustrates me. He may be correct to some extent, but can't you at least be happy that someone tied your score without saying it was all the equipment?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

"The decision to possibly step away from broadcasting is almost as difficult as my 63 in the 1973 US Open at Oakmont"  ~Johnny Miller~ (probably)

Seriously though, if I shot a 63 in any US Open, I would let the world know at every opportunity too!  I think most long-time golf fans will miss him after some time without him like they did with Ken Venturi. 

Personally, I will not miss Miller at all.

I do love it when announcers "call 'em as they see 'em" (IMO, Steve Stone was the best during his time in the Cubs booth), but Miller frequently comes off as bitter and arrogant. His inability to recognize and acknowledge excellent play as anything other than driven by modern equipment frustrates me. He may be correct to some extent, but can't you at least be happy that someone tied your score without saying it was all the equipment?

HA!  I was about to use the same analogy!  I love Len and JD but Steve Stone will always be the voice in my head when I think back to Cubs baseball during my childhood. 

HA!  I was about to use the same analogy!  I love Len and JD but Steve Stone will always be the voice in my head when I think back to Cubs baseball during my childhood. 

Cable TV made me a Cubs fan when I was in high school - The Cubs were all day games back then, starting around the time I rolled out of bed during the summer (11 AM Pacific), so I watched at ton. Steve was the best.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Cable TV made me a Cubs fan when I was in high school - The Cubs were all day games back then, starting around the time I rolled out of bed during the summer (11 AM Pacific), so I watched at ton. Steve was the best.

Same for me!  Wrigley didn't get lights until 1988 so my whole elementary school and middle school years were spent with Wrigley only having day games.  My cousin and I would race home after school every day to watch those games on WGN.  Games started at 1:05 (2:05 for me in Virginia) so we could watch the last 6 innings or more.  

Fond memories!

I liked his candor but despised his self-centered commentary. Everything was somehow related to what he did. If a pro hit a bad shot, tell us, but I don't care if it reminded you of a shot you hit in the 1978 Byron Nelson. I'd watch Napoleon Dynamite if I wanted to hear Uncle Rico talk about how good he was back in the day. 

I'd love to see Shane Bacon or Bones Mackay take his spot. Someone with a love and knowledge for the game and won't just sit there and give us fluff. 

Heck, give us the Club Pro Guy once and awhile. That would be hilarious.  

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Archived