Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hotmelt!? Really?

EXPOSED: PEEK INSIDE 9 OF THE HOTTEST DRIVERS IN GOLF

https://mygolfspy.com/a-look-inside-9-drivers

Quite shocking to say the least. The hotmelt is being used to bring up the head weight to their required specs at the factories.  The problem is obviously it could make each head slightly different - feel, balance, and sound.  Knowing this, I would be afraid to order any non-weight-adjustable woods "online".

This also answers the question about why my (tour-issue) 2017 M1 460 head came with "lighter" weights than the retail model.  The head (with the weights and the hosel adapter) weighs exactly 200.0g, which means it pretty much guarantees there is no hotmelt inside.  Truly enlightening!

PS: I am now curious and want to open up my divorced retail R15 440 head, which never fully cooperated for the past 3 years... Forgiveness aside, any hits besides the bull's-eye dead center were complete garbage.

From what I've seen, using hotmelt in heads is fairly standard. Don't most, if not all, come with a hotmelt port anyways?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Not sure about standard, maybe quite common among tour players who are provided half a dozen tour issue heads to play with. I thought hotmelt was a highly sophiscated, near-irreversable custom job for players with very specific needs, not a “standard” step during the manufacturing process. I guess this is why the retail heads come with the port plugged and the tour issues with the port left open.

What really rattled me was this question, how would consumers like me know if there is hotmelt inside their $500 brand-new driver, not to mention where and how much exactly? You can only assume it would be anywhere near the hotmelt port, if any, as you can see in the article. I see some poor (very minor but still poor) paint jobs on about 2 out of 10 drivers. I cannot even imagine what kinda hotmelt jobs out there inside those heads...

Why would a consumer care?

This is an honest question - the average golfer who buys a driver off the shelf at DSG or GG is buying it for the features/pricetag and probably for the name, too. So if there's a bit of hotmelt in the head to get it to the proper stated weight, why does it matter? 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Archived