TESTERS WANTED! ×

The golf ball and trajectory

BergeNZ81

I don't know if this has been discussed but I was wondering if changing the golf ball used would have a similar result as changing shafts to reduce the amount of spin. I am currently using S300s and I am considering making the jump to X100s just to get the spin down just a tad.

The reason I ask is because I was playing a couple weeks ago and I used a Wilson DUO Urethane for the back 9 of my round. It just seemed to fly lower than the ProV1 or Wilson FG Tours that I usually play. I remember Wilson saying that each step up in their ball line up increased spin by 15%. Would it make sense that switching to the DUO Urethane or even the Duo Spin would have a similar effect as changing to X100s?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't know if this has been discussed but I was wondering if changing the golf ball used would have a similar result as changing shafts to reduce the amount of spin. I am currently using S300s and I am considering making the jump to X100s just to get the spin down just a tad.

The reason I ask is because I was playing a couple weeks ago and I used a Wilson DUO Urethane for the back 9 of my round. It just seemed to fly lower than the ProV1 or Wilson FG Tours that I usually play. I remember Wilson saying that each step up in their ball line up increased spin by 15%. Would it make sense that switching to the DUO Urethane or even the Duo Spin would have a similar effect as changing to X100s?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Changing shaft won't really be change much unless you react drastically to the shaft and thus swing different.

Changing a golf ball is far more likely to change your ball flight than a shaft change.

Check out this video for a more in depth explanation

https://youtu.be/Nl_TdXdY-q8

No expert and real real answer for you other than my normal ball is a prov1 and im a high ball high spin hitter. The last couple of nights Ive been playing a lower spin Titleist AVX and my ball flight is little straighter and noticably lower. Not huge amount but noticable.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Yes, the golf ball matters. As much as shafts, maybe even more. The higher the spin, the higher the shot. The lower the spin, the lower the shot. Softer compression goes higher, harder compression goes lower.

If you need to get spin and trajectory down, look at the TP5 (might be too much spin but flies lower), or the DUO Urethane is a great ball too.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived