Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

George Nicoll handmade in Scotland irons

Anybody got any info to share about Scottish club maker George Nicoll of Fife, Leven, Scotland.  I just bought a set of his Monogram series irons.  Beauties from the 1930s or 1940s.   Very rare.  A few putters on Ebay, very very few irons.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I have a friend that has an interest in antique clubs and he is from Fife I'll have a word and see if he has any info.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Here is my friends reply.

Yes, I know lots about George Nicoll of Leven. The last owners were the Ovenstone family who lived in Lundin Links, and in fact still do, and one in Upper Largo.  Mr Ovenstone married into the golf club business and basically made a mess of it over a period of many years. One of the craftsmen in the Nicoll business is working as. A golf club maker still works at  https://www.standrewsgolfco.com/about/history/

Tom-Stewart.jpg
Our history at the St. Andrews Golf Co. Ltd's dates back to 1881. We are the last remaining Scottish golf club manufacturer.
www.standrewsgolfco.com

And you may remember the little prize i put up for the Elonics golf day which was some miniature clubs on a board, made by Bobby Ovenstone, but I'm not sure he still does any..

My mother and father had Nicolls Pinsplitter clubs and I played with my father's clubs for years.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Welcome to My Golf Spy!

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Welcome to MGS

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

• 5 months later...

Hi Donn

I have the NEW irons, 5-PW with Gap & Sand.

Best irons I have ever had, and been through a few makes, although my previous set was Macgregor VIP V-Foil 1025c's.
KBS Tour Regular Shafts, Half Cord Grips.

Superb feel, great balance, the KBS Tour Reg's are lightweight so adds to thebalance and feel.
Had them Custom fitted at https://www.standrewsgolfco.com/shop/products/modern-collection/george-nicoll-precision-series-steel/

Highly recommended....

• 10 months later...

1964 stumbled into my pro's personal clubs, Nicolle O'Leven Muscle Back 

(par excellence) irons.  I was an 8 hcp, in less than 1 year, I played to a 3. Best irons, with perfect balance, ever held in my hands.  I played these clubs until

1999.  Age caught up with distance, and the weight of the club caught up to my swing speed.  35 years playing with these

wasn't easy to change.  I found Armour 845 small heads played those Irons for 10 years,  now playing Hogan Edge for 9 years. 8 hcp now, playing 2- 3 times a week.

Those Nicolle O'Leven clubs were magic in my hands.

BTW the sandwedge showes almost no wear over almost 40 years of usage.

( not because I wasn't in bunkers, )

hardest steel.

• 1 year later...

My wife recent scored a set of Nicoll Precision Irons, tha are in remarkable shape. Have one different club, in addition to a 5i the set also includes a 5X iron, which I’ve never heard of and am assuming it is either an overrun/reject ????. 
any ideas on the 5i? And what a set of clubs with what appear to be Pyratone shafts are worth?

Thanks!

700ED7FC-7A21-4CD0-8D69-277347DE4B58.jpeg

AC94B5A2-8F35-42BD-9CC7-9450D40772D2.jpeg

8D930674-6D23-4906-A8FF-662EF9511D08.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I owned a set 2 thru sand wedge. Starting about 1964 or 1965. I still have the SW.

So well balance, every shot felt like butter..   loved these clubs. They felt magical in my hands.

Got down to a 2 hcp, had 13 under par rounds with them. 

Around 1997 somebody stole the PW, ( a tragic loss to me.) Then, I broke the shaft on the  9 iron.  My 7 iron also no longer went 155 yds, it was only going 145, hcp started to rise, I thought newer modern clubs would help the loss of distance,  they did.

I held onto the clubs until I moved in 2014.   Just recently I started looking for those clubs. 

So if you want to sell them.....

Mellobrow at gmail dot com.

Hope I gave you some insight to the clubs.

B. Kaplan