TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver shaft revelation

Steve S

As an ex-engineer I was always fascinated by the physics and mechanics of golf.  I always followed the "fitting rules" on shafts as far as swing speed, etc.  Then I started thinking about the physics and discussing it with a engineer friend.  Bottom line is that it did not make much sense.  The physics says that you want as stiff a shaft as possible with the least amount of torque.  So why do slower swingers usually hit the ball better with "whipper" shafts?  It doesn't add to swing speed or ball speed.  But it will add loft and spin.  Spin is necessary to keep the ball airborne.  Slower swingers don't apply as much force to the ball as faster swingers.  This results in less spin.  So slower swingers need more spin; faster swingers need less or the ball will balloon.  Also, if you don't hit up on the ball with a driver you'll need the shaft to "add loft".  So maybe slow swingers should use stiffer shafts and 12-13 degree loft heads.

The other problem with flexible shafts is they tend to add more dispersion right and left.  Especially if you have a "quick" transition on the downswing.

Bottom line is that my friend and I did some experimenting.  We both moved the ball forward in our stance(off the front toe) to swing up into the ball at impact.  We used the Ping driver study to tune our launch angles.(https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-the-driver-fitting-study/)

With my regular shaft and 10.5 degree head setting I was hitting the ball very high and short(with 3000rpm spin).  My buddy with his 9.5 degree and stiff shaft was hitting the ball high and right(he swings around 115-120mph; I'm 85-90)

I set my head to 8.5, bought an X shaft(3 degree torque) and am now hitting the ball lower but as long as the Ping study says I should(spin is down to 2100).  An added benefit is that my right/left misses are plus/minus 5 yards; instead of 20.  My buddy went crazy and bought a triple X shaft and an 8 degree setting.  His miss is now 10 yards right and 5 yards left.  We are both staying in play more and out of the woods.  Now, if I could just read a damn putt!!

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

Torque these days has more to do with feel. One things charts and rules don't account for us how a person loads the shaft and delivers the clubhead to the ball. Feel and confidence also affect the way a person swings the club.

I've had driver swing speed in the 99-102 range for awhile and recently with lessons and some gym time it's up in the 103-105 range and I've seen some 106-107 and I've played torques from 2.7 to almost 5. It's all varied by how the shaft felt and whether I was sequencing properly

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't put much stock in faster swing speeds need stiffer shafts.  I believe flex and weight of the shaft influence how a person swings.  We aren't robots and won't necessarily swing a regular flex shaft the same as an x-stiff shaft.  OP your swing may react to the x-stiff shaft in a way that puts you in correct sequence when delivering the club to the ball.  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Despite the objective science, the theory of fitting is as subjective as the fitter and their personal philosophy.

When fitting golfers, it was often more difficult to convince a golfer to try something different than they had convinced themselves was best for their game.

Case in point, I've used X shafts for the past 20 years. Different variations of different brands...until this year. I was fit for a G400 LST and loved the feel of the HZRDUS Yellow.

By the Numbers, the 6.5 was pitch perfect for me. 108-113 mph swing, ball speed was in the high 160's.

I made a gut decision and went with the 6.0. Added 2mph to my ball speed and my misses aren't push blocks.

It is definitely an inexact science.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

As an ex-engineer I was always fascinated by the physics and mechanics of golf.  I always followed the "fitting rules" on shafts as far as swing speed, etc.  Then I started thinking about the physics and discussing it with a engineer friend.  Bottom line is that it did not make much sense.  The physics says that you want as stiff a shaft as possible with the least amount of torque.  So why do slower swingers usually hit the ball better with "whipper" shafts?  It doesn't add to swing speed or ball speed.  But it will add loft and spin.  Spin is necessary to keep the ball airborne.  Slower swingers don't apply as much force to the ball as faster swingers.  This results in less spin.  So slower swingers need more spin; faster swingers need less or the ball will balloon.  Also, if you don't hit up on the ball with a driver you'll need the shaft to "add loft".  So maybe slow swingers should use stiffer shafts and 12-13 degree loft heads.

The other problem with flexible shafts is they tend to add more dispersion right and left.  Especially if you have a "quick" transition on the downswing.

Bottom line is that my friend and I did some experimenting.  We both moved the ball forward in our stance(off the front toe) to swing up into the ball at impact.  We used the Ping driver study to tune our launch angles.(https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-the-driver-fitting-study/)

With my regular shaft and 10.5 degree head setting I was hitting the ball very high and short(with 3000rpm spin).  My buddy with his 9.5 degree and stiff shaft was hitting the ball high and right(he swings around 115-120mph; I'm 85-90)

I set my head to 8.5, bought an X shaft(3 degree torque) and am now hitting the ball lower but as long as the Ping study says I should(spin is down to 2100).  An added benefit is that my right/left misses are plus/minus 5 yards; instead of 20.  My buddy went crazy and bought a triple X shaft and an 8 degree setting.  His miss is now 10 yards right and 5 yards left.  We are both staying in play more and out of the woods.  Now, if I could just read a damn putt!!

Great stuff here!

When I began my trip down the rabbit hole we call golf, I was convinced that my slower swing speeds demanded more flexible shafts. So after gathering tons of info here and from other sources, I began searching eBay for clubs with mid-flex shafts only and ultimately, that's what I started with. When I actually was fitted for a new driver, I was shocked that the stiff-flex types way out-performed what I had and just took that to heart.

Since driver with stiff seemed to be the bench-mark, I have since upgraded both my fairway clubs with the Aldila shafts you see in my signature. Both of those sticks have now really come alive and I love hitting them. Kind of a self-fitting gone right that I see validated out on the course more often than not.

Thanks for posting!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Interesting test

However other tests that I've seen have produced opposite results to your test.

Generally speaking a person will perform much better with a shaft that's too flexible than one that's too stiff (generally). Torque means nothing to most people - on rare occasion it could impact how the club feels but every fitter pro or the home workshop guys whom I respect here have said, don't worry about it.

Shaft flex to swing speed is a guide to a starting point, weight matters, how it's tipped matters, etc, etc.

To the mix I saw a revolution golf video this week with a top fitter who said that in his opinion the clubhead of the driver is far more important than the shaft.

I don't know that I agree with that but I do agree that we have gone so shaft bonkers that we've lost the balance. I have a way better chance of hitting a driver well if it has the proper head for my swing with a poorly fit shaft than vis a versa for certain.

Great topic - thanks for starting it - I will be hoping some of our fitters jump in.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting test

However other tests that I've seen have produced opposite results to your test.

Generally speaking a person will perform much better with a shaft that's too flexible than one that's too stiff (generally). Torque means nothing to most people - on rare occasion it could impact how the club feels but every fitter pro or the home workshop guys whom I respect here have said, don't worry about it.

Shaft flex to swing speed is a guide to a starting point, weight matters, how it's tipped matters, etc, etc.

To the mix I saw a revolution golf video this week with a top fitter who said that in his opinion the clubhead of the driver is far more important than the shaft.

I don't know that I agree with that but I do agree that we have gone so shaft bonkers that we've lost the balance. I have a way better chance of hitting a driver well if it has the proper head for my swing with a poorly fit shaft than vis a versa for certain.

Great topic - thanks for starting it - I will be hoping some of our fitters jump in.

I've had the chance to meet some of the best shaft designers in the industry and they say the samething about torque. It's not a measurement that matters as much as it used to and it's more of a feel thing these days and with the amount of flexibility they have with graphite these days and the various materials out they they can do some crazy things that would blow people's minds

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've had the chance to meet some of the best shaft designers in the industry and they say the samething about torque. It's not a measurement that matters as much as it used to and it's more of a feel thing these days and with the amount of flexibility they have with graphite these days and the various materials out they they can do some crazy things that would blow people's minds

Yep, Robin Arthur told me it basically has no meaning. That's good enough for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is an interesting thread. I swing (at most) mid-90s. I've been fitted twice for and both times recommended to a fujikura pro 60g shaft. Gave it some time both times and didn't get along with it for some reason. I've found I do better with 70g shafts, and have used Diamana Whiteboard, Ping Tour 80 and currently HZRDUS Yellow 76g shaft. I go based on what feels good along with what I see on course and it usually ends up being something that I probably wouldn't be fit for haha

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

This is an interesting thread. I swing (at most) mid-90s. I've been fitted twice for and both times recommended to a fujikura pro 60g shaft. Gave it some time both times and didn't get along with it for some reason. I've found I do better with 70g shafts, and have used Diamana Whiteboard, Ping Tour 80 and currently HZRDUS Yellow 76g shaft. I go based on what feels good along with what I see on course and it usually ends up being something that I probably wouldn't be fit for haha

Haha, I swing around 104-106 and can't play anything over 60g. I always get fitted into something in the 70g range and it is just too heavy for my "feel". It takes away the feel of the clubhead and feels like I am just swinging a heavy shaft. I need a light shaft to have any sense of where the club is in my swing.

Different stroke for different folks, I guess.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Haha, I swing around 104-106 and can't play anything over 60g. I always get fitted into something in the 70g range and it is just too heavy for my "feel". It takes away the feel of the clubhead and feels like I am just swinging a heavy shaft. I need a light shaft to have any sense of where the club is in my swing.

Different stroke for different folks, I guess.

A lot of shaft weight has to do with Tempo more than SS.

And @ the prior poster the Ping Tour 80 actually weighs in the 60's. It only weighs 80 grams in x flex.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Interesting comments on shaft weights.  From a purely physics standpoint you really want the lightest, stiffest shaft possible.  In other words, weight in the shaft does nothing to increase swing speed, in fact it does the opposite.  You want the mass in the club head where it's velocity and mass can act on the ball.  Another experiment you could do is measure your swing speed with increasing weight on the head of your driver.  The optimum weight would be the one just before your swing slows down.  My engineer friend did this and added about 10 yards to his drives.  Of course, he swings fast.  For us lower swing speed guys the added momentum won't add much to our length probably somewhere in the 1-5 yard range.  I tried it and the results were "in the noise" of my measurements.  I did, however move the weights in my driver to the forward position and dropped about 200-300 rpm backspin.  That seemed to add about 5-7 yards of carry and increased roll out.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

And @ the prior poster the Ping Tour 80 actually weighs in the 60's. It only weighs 80 grams in x flex.

i thought the tour 80 weighed 76 in stiff flex.

Might be why i ended up going with the HZRDUS yellow haha

In the future, I'd like to go to a fitting to fit me for the best iron and driver, no matter the brand.  Then once I know the brand, I'd like to go to their location to have the brand fit me.  After the last year and doing different testings with my own gear, I fully believe shafts should be a big part of the fitting process.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

In the future, I'd like to go to a fitting to fit me for the best iron and driver, no matter the brand. Then once I know the brand, I'd like to go to their location to have the brand fit me. After the last year and doing different testings with my own gear, I fully believe shafts should be a big part of the fitting process.

Not sure I understand your process. If you go get fit, generally you get fit for shaft first and then clubhead. What would then going to the OEM accomplish? You should either going totally brand agnostic or pick a brand and then fit to that brand.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

LOT of interesting thoughts in this thread ... I'll throw in my OPINION. And I say opinion as "people" are a variable which has no guidebook. There is no manual / instruction sheet for that part of the swing ;) 

I have had the opportunity ( or misfortune depending on your point of view lol ) of working with pretty high speed guys. And the bulk of the guys I choose to work with one on one are ALL scratch or better - so they can deliver the head to the ball. But that also allows me to answer with respect to a "golf swing" - just a little faster. Apple to an apple though 

So before I go ... A tiny statement - NOT trying to get the Hatfield's & McCoys rocking. There will be builders who don't agree with me - and high speed guys that don't agree ... whatever .. no problem. Just a post on a forum

OK - 1st off ... NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!! has a more dynamic affect on spin than driver loft - PERIOD. Driver loft is KING with spin. Lets face it - driver heads have been maxed out for years - the modern generation is all about manipulation of CG & launch conditions .. and they are all damn good at it. 

Torque - For high speed - and for guys with "swings" not mashers (you would think it would be the opposite but it isn't ) - but HIGHER torque for a pretty high speed swings is your friend. Those guys can use torque to gain a few extra microseconds to come thru the impact zone and be square and in control of face angle. MASHERS - in my experience / opinion - like lower torque as there delivery is much more erratic and they just need head control thru the zone - they hold on - usually super strong ... I could go on. 

I am in total agreement with revkev - For me - the weaker the shaft the better for most people. Most guys get on monitors and go for it - and admire their speed. Truth is - go out a look at trees & out of bounds & water hazards etc ... That monitor swing is USELESS in the real world. I always tell guys - Monitor minus 5mph. Also OVER-stiff will usually results in a wide open fanning slice at the ball - and spinning like crazy. I get guys in the weakest combos they feel good with. I will tell you - and this isn't uncommon - in the high speed world. Some of the most visible / multiple world champion type guys - use MUCH !!!!!!!!! weaker shafts than you would think ... MUCH !!!! ... Trust me

Balance. Eeeehhh ... I'll say this. Heavier head (204+ with adapter) - you want a little counterbalancing to maintain good weight. PIng is REALLY good at it (for an OEM) - Cobra is a close second. 

Weight - The most important for me ... MOST guys - if the driver is built correctly - will be better with a heavier driver than they think. I am a GIGANTIC !!!!!!! fan of very short / heavy driver setups. Look at the Tour - MOST of the time - over time ... The big guns all use slightly heavy / shorter combos - with head CG manipulated to max given the end head weight 

Flex - There is no standard - and there is a LOT !!!!!!! of bad info being pumped into the world regarding shaft tech. The heavier the shaft - the weaker you can play it .. Super lite ( which I HATE ) .. need a little stiffness to get some control. The exception to that is probably the older / weaker golfer. But even they can play weaker / shorter combos with LOTS of loft and get good results. 

I could keep going ... Maybe I'll spill my guts one day ... but when I build drivers - PLAY drivers ( cuz even I don't give a damn about long drivers ) - I do everything in my power to get the to use short / heavy SLIGHTLY weaker than you'd think BATS .. and it works EVERY TIME.

This guy .... 

tw1.jpg

DESTROYED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the world in 2000 with a 43.50 in steel shafted Titleist driver 

tw2.jpeg

and won his first major - with a 43.50 steel shafted COBRA. 

tw3.jpg

and he's never driven the ball better since .. and YES I STILL LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! steel shafted drivers

Just my 2 cents ;)

DRIVER - NO WAY !!! I limit that to 1 - so here's my current favorites

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 / Agera X 

:cobra-small: L4V 8* (7.5 actual) - XPHLEXXX COBRA PIMP DADDY F7 prototype shaft 

FWs - :callaway-small: Epic Flash 15 / Veylix 888 Bronx XXX Rainbow /:callaway-small: Heavenwood & :callaway-small:9 wood Blueboard 103x

Hybrids - :callaway-small: Super Hybrids - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X

5-GW :callaway-small: Epic Forged / Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - 56-60-64 :callaway-small: PM Grind / Mardi Gras wedges - DGS400 Onyx  

Putter -  :odyssey-small: Works #7 Red Tank

ALL gripped with JumboMax XLs - Thank you Bryson for the grip lesson. 

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV - Stormi edition / :titleist-small: YELLOW ProV1x

I'm tinkering again... :rolleyes:

Watched a couple of YouTube fitting videos recently (as usual) and one of them got me wondering if my stock Alta stiff shaft for my driver is really the best for me. At my demo-day fitting for it, I tried the Alta in mid (no joy) and some stiff-flex shaft from a maker I'd never heard of. It was "exotic", white in color and from Japan or Korea I believe, but it gave me very low launch characteristics that I didn't like. PING's shaft options on their website for the G400 vary quite a bit, so I researched several of them. Landed on the Aldila X-Torsion Orange and found one from a fitter selling off surplus demo shafts on eBay. Excited to try it out later tonight. Supposed to be low-spin & mid-launch. It actually weighs exactly the same as my stock shaft though it is just a shade shorter by maybe 1/4". It looks bithcin' too btw if you're into that... I also have some head weights to play with, so game-on!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

(Hopefully not jacking the thread here. If I am, I apologize)

LOVE AT FIRST SWING! Holy smokes! This new Aldila X-Torsion Orange shaft started off strong and stayed that way throughout my session tonight. Started out by stretching as normal and then warmed up by quickly working my way up through the bag to driver. I kept the diver loft at 10* and also with the standard 7g weight in the head that came with it and...WHAMO! I could instantly tell that this was going to be a winner. BAM! Then BAM, then Bam again! Over and over again. Long (for me) and straight as an arrow. Many strikes right in the sweet spot too. The flights were not too high and these range balls were penetrating the direct in-yer-face wind we had tonight. The hitting area ropes were at the very back of the range and I was just hammering them nearly out to the end. I've never been able to reach that far even when the ropes are set further in, sometimes by 30-yds or more. No S***! I swear! Kind of hard to tell really how far as we are also facing directly into the setting sun, but I could tell my drives were gettin' after it! Really!

Just for the "halibut", I screwed in the 13g weight. Eh... I think the extra mass was being cancelled by a slightly slower swing (maybe?), but the distance seemed to fall a bit and accuracy was...eh.... Jammed in the 3g weight and things really heated up. Just a rocket ship! Physics! Who knew? Shoulda paid more attention in high school & college...

My first take on this shaft vs. the original Alta is that it will be way more consistent, much longer and make golfing a whole lot more fun.

Had to cut it short tonight, but I'll play around with it some more Friday and maybe game it too. Cannot wait!

(Thread-jack out)

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I love the XTorsion shaft in my g400

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I love the XTorsion shaft in my g400

It certainly is a winner for me so far!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Archived