Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedges

hckymeyer

Does the 60°'s cambered sole disguise the low bounce well enough that they would work for a digger?

Yes. Depending on the shot, I am anything from a sweeper to a trench digger. They do a fine job.

Was going to save this for the stage 2, but I had mixed feelings today with the soggy stuff, but I think that was the slinger not the wrench. I haven't put much practice in.

It's really really soft, probably too soft to play soft. I never do well when it's mush.

* not much practice while camping.

I don't have the 60 but I have the 58 with 8 degrees bounce. Works nice from the bucker but I find myself using the 54 with 10 degrees of bounce. I started using it since I was closer to the 14 degrees of bounce I'm used to. It comes out like buttah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Been super soggy, had a lot of flooding actually today. Lots of damage to the towns. But there was still time to get some testing in.

I only grabbed the 60 and hit the range with a bag full of “duds” and did some chipping and short 60 and in on the practice area.

I couldn't notice a loss of spin at all, the greens were not too soppy for all the rain we got.

I really like the width of the 60's sole, it is like a pontoon from the mush. Out of nearly 50 full shots I only hit 1 heavy.

Around the green I used my normal “rain technique” which is use the soft greens and send Phil Flops pin high and let them plug... it works try it.

I am beginning to think there isn't anything these wedges can't do.

I wonder how well they'll be from snow.

* Funny what a day does. I sucked yesterday. Today I was marginally good.

I am loving what I am hearing so far. Keep it coming guys. Nobody around me carries Bridgestone to hold them so I may just have to take a blind flyer on them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I am loving what I am hearing so far. Keep it coming guys. Nobody around me carries Bridgestone to hold them so I may just have to take a blind flyer on them.

Go get the sand wedge, you can thank us later. They are somehow like 80 dollars...its a little ridiculous value wise. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Yea I'd say they're a huge steel at the sub 100 price point when all other wedge makers are going to the standard 150/club or 130/club. From there prices skyrocket.

These are the best value out there.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Go get the sand wedge, you can thank us later. They are somehow like 80 dollars...its a little ridiculous value wise. 

as much as I hate to admit it, my 56* is steadily closing the distance on my most coveted club (60*). Before this, I probably could have taken my 56* out of the bag and never missed it. Now it's sharing about half of the workload on approaches. 

A side note.. the 52* is still really awesome but on occasion it's longer than my Gap (50*) .. so therein lies my conundrum.. do I pretend that they both do something different from each other and keep them both in rotation, or do I decide which one will be my go-to for that distance gapping? They definitely have a different feel from each other.. just not sure if they're all that different in functionality.. hmm.....   :unsure:

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Yea I'd say they're a huge steel at the sub 100 price point when all other wedge makers are going to the standard 150/club or 130/club. From there prices skyrocket.

These are the best value out there.

blackngold, thats not to say they aren't competitive...I'm not going to get into spoilers, but the words "best value" tend to have negative connotations, its the opposite here, its just value is the best descriptor for sub 100 dollar wedges that can compete with 150 plus ones. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

as much as I hate to admit it, my 56* is steadily closing the distance on my most coveted club (60*). Before this, I probably could have taken my 56* out of the bag and never missed it. Now it's sharing about half of the workload on approaches. 

A side note.. the 52* is still really awesome but on occasion it's longer than my Gap (50*) .. so therein lies my conundrum.. do I pretend that they both do something different from each other and keep them both in rotation, or do I decide which one will be my go-to for that distance gapping? They definitely have a different feel from each other.. just not sure if they're all that different in functionality.. hmm.....   :unsure:

If there's no significant distance gap, then do they perform different functions for you on the course? I'd be prepared to gamble "no" as that's usually where 56 and 60 come in.

If the 52 bridges the gap between your pitching wedge and 56 better then just drop the 50 and it gives you room for another club at either end of your bag depending on what you feel your game needs.

I'd argue that typically the only spots where you can afford to "duplicate" clubs is either having a matched hybrid with your longest iron for different flights, or at the bottom end of your bag if you don't struggle for distance and want different grind options on your highest lofted wedge for different shot types... Even then, it's a luxury.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

A side note.. the 52* is still really awesome but on occasion it's longer than my Gap (50*) .. so therein lies my conundrum.. do I pretend that they both do something different from each other and keep them both in rotation, or do I decide which one will be my go-to for that distance gapping? They definitely have a different feel from each other.. just not sure if they're all that different in functionality.. hmm..... :unsure:

I'd say for wedges or higher lofted clubs- a 4-5 degree spacing should be maintained. So like you seeing you've got a 50 and 52 which sounds like a mistake in terms of which clubs you chose. I'd say whichever is more consistent in terms of distance control is the one you keep. You don't want a 52 that occasionally goes as long as the 50 and you don't want a 50 that occasionally goes as short as the 52. For me I'm trying to hit the numbers. Stock PW goes 140, my 58 goes 105. To fill the gaps I wanted a 115 club and a 128/130 club. So 50,54,58 work well to fill the numbers I want.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

blackngold, thats not to say they aren't competitive...I'm not going to get into spoilers, but the words "best value" tend to have negative connotations, its the opposite here, its just value is the best descriptor for sub 100 dollar wedges that can compete with 150 plus ones.

Their price point and your guy's reviews are what has me pondering taking the blind flyer. For me wedges are almost as personal feel wise as putters.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I'd say for wedges or higher lofted clubs- a 4-5 degree spacing should be maintained. So like you seeing you've got a 50 and 52 which sounds like a mistake in terms of which clubs you chose. I'd say whichever is more consistent in terms of distance control is the one you keep. You don't want a 52 that occasionally goes as long as the 50 and you don't want a 50 that occasionally goes as short as the 52. For me I'm trying to hit the numbers. Stock PW goes 140, my 58 goes 105. To fill the gaps I wanted a 115 club and a 128/130 club. So 50,54,58 work well to fill the numbers I want.

It wasn't so much a mistake in choosing as just needing to choose. 60 and 56 were must-haves for me just based on what I'd been using previously. My set GW (50*) was already there so I either had the option of 52 or 54 for my 3rd wedge. My PW carries 135, GW 125. Like we've all mentioned in the pre- stage, I'm seeing an extra 5-10 very unexpected yds with these clubs. My previous 56 and 60 were 100 and 85 yds which left me with about a 25 yd gap between my 56 and 50. I always just managed it with a 3/4 GW. My hopes were that the 52 would fit somewhere in that 110 - 115 yd stretch. This 56 and 60 are 110 and 100 yds. Maybe I just need to remember to play the 52 an extra ball forward in my stance like an 8 iron and take a little off of it. The extra height is quite helpful when trying to drop in on a hard AZ green. Definitely not the end of the world here.  

MAXFLI  Tour CG

It wasn't so much a mistake in choosing as just needing to choose. 60 and 56 were must-haves for me just based on what I'd been using previously. My set GW (50*) was already there so I either had the option of 52 or 54 for my 3rd wedge. My PW carries 135, GW 125. Like we've all mentioned in the pre- stage, I'm seeing an extra 5-10 very unexpected yds with these clubs. My previous 56 and 60 were 100 and 85 yds which left me with about a 25 yd gap between my 56 and 50. I always just managed it with a 3/4 GW. My hopes were that the 52 would fit somewhere in that 110 - 115 yd stretch. This 56 and 60 are 110 and 100 yds. Maybe I just need to remember to play the 52 an extra ball forward in my stance like an 8 iron and take a little off of it. The extra height is quite helpful when trying to drop in on a hard AZ green. Definitely not the end of the world here.

What I did for the Hogan review was have the 52° bent to 51 since my gap was a 50. It has since replaced my 50 in the bag. If they are so close and I can imagine they are, hit what club feels best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think those extra yards maybe from the shaft. I don't notice anything extra on full shots. The full shots are spot on compared to anything with same lofts. but those 75% shots I'm seeing an occasional jump. It feels as though the shaft just unloads and throws that ball IMO.

Yesterday I had about 90 yards and so I put a 80% swing on the 58 degree. It went the same distance as a full swing. Blew the damn ball over the green. In the air for a second based on feel I thought be good until I noticed it just piercing thru the air.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I think those extra yards maybe from the shaft. I don't notice anything extra on full shots. The full shots are spot on compared to anything with same lofts. but those 75% shots I'm seeing an occasional jump. It feels as though the shaft just unloads and throws that ball IMO.

Yesterday I had about 90 yards and so I put a 80% swing on the 58 degree. It went the same distance as a full swing. Blew the damn ball over the green. In the air for a second based on feel I thought be good until I noticed it just piercing thru the air.

so true on the shaft action. The jury's still out on them but they're definitely growing on me. My 3/4 shots are all hitting my original distances. the ball just seems to come out hot like a greased rocket to the moon. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

What I did for the Hogan review was have the 52° bent to 51 since my gap was a 50. It has since replaced my 50 in the bag. If they are so close and I can imagine they are, hit what club feels best.

you just reminded me something.. these clubs are MINE!! ha ha! :D having them bent to 53* is a fantastic idea that will be implemented immediately! Thanks tommc23!! 

My 50* is a slightly softer forging so it feels really nice and I wouldn't want to kick it out of the bag. I really do need a club to cover that phase of the gapping so I'd also like to keep my 52*. Looks like I'll be talking to my club guy this week to bend me a 53. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

you just reminded me something.. these clubs are MINE!! ha ha! :D having them bent to 53* is a fantastic idea that will be implemented immediately! Thanks tommc23!!

My 50* is a slightly softer forging so it feels really nice and I wouldn't want to kick it out of the bag. I really do need a club to cover that phase of the gapping so I'd also like to keep my 52*. Looks like I'll be talking to my club guy this week to bend me a 53.

I kept everything as ordered for the test but now I'm gonna change things. Just my suggestion but whatever will help do so.

I also learned that my alignment is all sorts of off from this video... wow.

Idk. Can't tell what you're aiming at visually but hips feet and shoulders aligned where the ball started. Nice setup

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Putting some tour sauce on it

IMG_4372.JPGIMG_4371.JPG

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I also learned that my alignment is all sorts of off from this video... wow.

You can learn a lot from making/watching shot videos like that. The video that I made for my stage 1 was my first ever attempt. I learned that I take a really weird jump back with my front foot.. I really gotta get rid of that.. and I learned that I'm fatter on camera than I am in the mirror :wacko: . I've since lost about 20 lbs and have about 20 more to go. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

You can learn a lot from making/watching shot videos like that. The video that I made for my stage 1 was my first ever attempt. I learned that I take a really weird jump back with my front foot.. I really gotta get rid of that.. and I learned that I'm fatter on camera than I am in the mirror :wacko: . I've since lost about 20 lbs and have about 20 more to go.

I have lots of swings video. Probably a hour total... too much.

Is anyone going to do a little DIY and paint fill the “B” on the back on these wedges?

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Is anyone going to do a little DIY and paint fill the “B” on the back on these wedges?

You know I've thought about it, as I've paint filled my irons a number of times.. But in all honesty I'm just a fan of the pure and clean simplicity of these. For me, I'm just not sure that adding extra paint would do them any justice.. Not to say that it's not worth having some fun with. Others might have differing opinions though. Thoughts fellas?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've done paint fill and always something changes so it makes no sense. Either you paint match say a golf bag and after two or four years you get a new bag or tastes change.

I've found clean no fill to look sweet no matter what it's placed next to. Every head cover matches. It can't look any sweeter than zero paint.

I'm not planning on doing anything to them but as I state tastes always change.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag