TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedges

hckymeyer

Read all the stages from everyone and WOW! Great work fellas! Thank-you for an insightful and informative set of reviews! It was great reading and don't tell anyone, but if given the chance based on everyone's level of excitement for these, I'll give 'em a whirl. I love wedge play!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Sounded like I hit a damn sidewalk... immediately said at least 9 four letter words...🤬

You mean..."foot, foot, nope, feet, hand, ouch, nine, tree, BLUE!!!" 🤣🤣😁😎

Seriously, I feel your pain 😭

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Got the green light from the Mrs to buy a go pro.. Or equivelant so hopefully I'll be posting some more videos .

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Got the green light from the Mrs to buy a go pro.. Or equivelant so hopefully I'll be posting some more videos .

Nice, some go pro goodness for us to admire 😁

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

• 2 weeks later...

Went out yesterday for a round.  Had the place to myself so I played 4 balls.  It was pretty soggy, but I managed not to dig too much with the 60°.  Still having that weird partial shot shaft load issue with the 52°, I was trying a half shot at about 65 yards and I over shot it by 30... never had this problem before.  Definitely can feel when it loads up too. (Wonder if they make that in a driver shaft?)

Yea shanks I know exactly what you mean. I’m not sure either. I’ve learned to soften the wrists and arms in my swing and apply less torque on the wedges.

I wonder if it’s really the shaft or if it’s all in our heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Went out yesterday for a round.  Had the place to myself so I played 4 balls.  It was pretty soggy, but I managed not to dig too much with the 60°.  Still having that weird partial shot shaft load issue with the 52°, I was trying a half shot at about 65 yards and I over shot it by 30... never had this problem before.  Definitely can feel when it loads up too. (Wonder if they make that in a driver shaft?)

I am certainly no wedge expert like you, but the only thing I see that could cause that, is decelerating through the ball. 

In theory, if you are accelerating, the head is moving slower than the shaft so the shaft has to load. The only way it can unload is if the head is moving faster than the handle which happens when you decelerate. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Only happens with partial 52’s... never happened with other clubs. Not saying it isn’t possible but... I think it’s the shaft.
You consider having it bent to 53 or 54°? That really made a difference for me.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just want to let you guys know that you've done a great job reviewing these wedges. My wife was napping on me, so I took the opportunity to give your stage one and two a re-read.

I took a leap of faith this past week and ordered the 56 from Golf Discount, that's how good your reviews were. I can't wait for it to arrive Wednesday and take it out this weekend and try it out.

I made a mistake when I bought my Cobras in not ordering one then, but my inner cheapskate was screaming at me for buying new clubs. So I just picked up the cheapest one I could find. Remind me to never do that again.

Thanks for the great reviews and I'm glad to hear that you love the clubs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just want to let you guys know that you've done a great job reviewing these wedges. My wife was napping on me, so I took the opportunity to give your stage one and two a re-read.

I took a leap of faith this past week and ordered the 56 from Golf Discount, that's how good your reviews were. I can't wait for it to arrive Wednesday and take it out this weekend and try it out.

I made a mistake when I bought my Cobras in not ordering one then, but my inner cheapskate was screaming at me for buying new clubs. So I just picked up the cheapest one I could find. Remind me to never do that again.

Let us know how it works out!

I love my current wedges but they are wearing out and these are on the (very) shortlist. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You will not be disappointed at all. They rock out. Once they do show up and you give them a little practice time you will def want to come back and tell everyone how great they are.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I am certainly no wedge expert like you, but the only thing I see that could cause that, is decelerating through the ball. 
In theory, if you are accelerating, the head is moving slower than the shaft so the shaft has to load. The only way it can unload is if the head is moving faster than the handle which happens when you decelerate. 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Let us know how it works out!
I love my current wedges but they are wearing out and these are on the (very) shortlist. 
They're $74.99 on the Golf Discount website, which is a phenomenal price for a wedge that has gotten such high praise.

14 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I would personally say that the 56* is probably the most versatile of all of the wedges that I tested. I love the 60 for what it is but the 56 with its low-profile high-bounce can pretty much handle the tasks of both. If for some reason I ever lost or damaged the 60*, I could probably get by pretty easily with the 56* and not have a need to buy another club. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

That's great to hear, as I enjoy trying to be creative around the green. It's not always pretty, but it's one of the things I enjoy about the game. Love the video by the way, I opened it up expecting to see you executing shot after shot with the 56. The Indiana Jones reference is on point and I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I opened it. It might have gotten messy.

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's great to hear, as I enjoy trying to be creative around the green. It's not always pretty, but it's one of the things I enjoy about the game. Love the video by the way, I opened it up expecting to see you executing shot after shot with the 56. The Indiana Jones reference is on point and I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I opened it. It might have gotten messy.

ha! well I'm hoping to have some more videos soon. I just picked up an action cam for this specific purpose. Weather's cooling down here in AZ which means more golf is to be played!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I think you can play all year in AZ. Lol. I just played an overcast windy day high of 47 but my car said 41. I was wearing enough layers though. I also had a cart cover. I also came down with a pretty bad cold the day after but I’m sure it was no relation hahaha.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I got my new wedge in today and I've got to say, it's sexy. I like the minimalistic approach they took designing these. It's just clean, very little paint fill and nothing over extravagant. I wish I could get a good photo of the handle, but it's late here and the black doesn't really pop like I would like it to under the lights of my house. 20181016_190801.jpeg

I love the milling on the face, it gives me confidence that the ball will just zip back when it hits the green. 20181016_190813.jpeg

Another thing, and I believe all of you brought this up, the badging is in no way as gaudy as it looks in the stock photos. They make it look like someone stuck a stop sign on the back, and it's nothing like that.

I can't wait to get out and hit it. It's a shame it's raining and dark here.

I got my new wedge in today and I've got to say, it's sexy. I like the minimalistic approach they took designing these. It's just clean, very little paint fill and nothing over extravagant. I wish I could get a good photo of the handle, but it's late here and the black doesn't really pop like I would like it to under the lights of my house. 20181016_190801.jpeg.c49173dd052fa2285b55436414728eae.jpeg

I love the milling on the face, it gives me confidence that the ball will just zip back when it hits the green. 20181016_190813.jpeg.ef61f966b8d9d513a3d5ee4f717cae08.jpeg

Another thing, and I believe all of you brought this up, the badging is in no way as gaudy as it looks in the stock photos. They make it look like someone stuck a stop sign on the back, and it's nothing like that.

I can't wait to get out and hit it. It's a shame it's raining and dark here.

That's awesome! Congrats! Assuming it's everything you hope it is, would you consider any of the others? 60° or maybe lower down the line-up?

MAXFLI  Tour CG

That's awesome! Congrats! Assuming it's everything you hope it is, would you consider any of the others? 60° or maybe lower down the line-up?

Stu, I'm definitely considering buying another one. Right now I'm thinking about the 52, as I have a gap I need to fill. Maybe I can convince the wife that it's something I can't live without as a birthday present.

Stu, I'm definitely considering buying another one. Right now I'm thinking about the 52, as I have a gap I need to fill. Maybe I can convince the wife that it's something I can't live without as a birthday present.

Definitely worth any extra “Honey Do” list items. Enjoy that 56°

Yea I didn’t get the 56 but it will be great i got the 54 and didn’t like it at first but it speaks volumes it’s my favorite club now. I feel and pull off a lot of magic around the greens to save par or even bogey

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

This club just wants to spin the ball, I've never hit anything like it. I went to the range today to do my SuperSpeed training, so it was a great day tho break out the 56. I didn't get to hit the practice green, but our range has an area that is more closely mowed, so I hit to that. Wow. That's all I can say. I could see a difference on how the ball was landing. I can't describe it, but it was completely different than anything I've hit before. Wow.

I'm gonna be playing tomorrow and I can't wait to see it in action.

Plus, it just feels good.

I was able to get nine holes in today and get an idea how the Bridgestone wedge was going to work for me. I'm loving it. I normally play a two piece distance ball, but hit up Wal-Mart for some used urethane balls to check out the spin. I hit two shots from about 40 yards and they stopped no more than two feet from the pitch mark. (Now gotta work on accuracy) I wasn't able to get any to spin back, but they were aerating the greens. I tried a low, spinning pitch shot on the last hole and was pleasantly surprised by how quick it stopped. I only left myself a 35 footer because I didn't get it out far enough. rps20181022_210745.jpeg