TESTERS WANTED! ×

Khalil Mack to the Bears!

chisag

He is a future hall of famer.  No amount of picks will make up for that loss.  Maybe 5 guys in history are/were as good.  And I understand that the team would still struggle with him on the team (cuz we still suck in other areas). But to give that up for a CHANCE at getting good players?  No thanks.  Bad trade.  It’s like poker.  You’re betting on the come.  

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, HighFade said:

He is a future hall of famer.  No amount of picks will make up for that loss.  Maybe 5 guys in history are/were as good.  And I understand that the team would still struggle with him on the team (cuz we still suck in other areas). But to give that up for a CHANCE at getting good players?  No thanks.  Bad trade.  It’s like poker.  You’re betting on the come.  

Nope. Mack is a great player..... a generational talent.  He would have contributed zero to the rebuild of this team. He held out (under contract). He wanted $90 million guaranteed. There is no way the Raiders would or could pay that amount, considering they are paying their useless, little scared girl of a QB $25 million a year.

He would have made NO difference in the outcome of this season. The Raiders got two 1st round picks....2019 and 2020.... a 6th round pick...2019 and a 2nd round pick... 2020 for him. not a bad haul for one player.

Amari Cooper was also traded for a first round pick in 2019. He also would have made NO difference in the outcome of this season. Not only that..... he drops way too many balls.

Now...... picks don't have to be used as "picks". They can be used to trade for players, future draft picks or to move up or down in the draft.

The Raiders just hired a new GM, Mike Mayock.... one with a recognized talent for evaluating talent. He and Gruden will work well together.

The initial knee jerk reaction to both trades.... especially Mack, is understandable. But, you have to look deeper into the reality of the situation. The Raiders are an especially BAD team at the moment. Great, outstanding players are useless at this time..... especially at the price they command for absolutely nothing in return.... right now. Not only that, it's not fair to players like that to languish on such a bad team and waste their careers when they can contribute to a team on the the rise and make use of their exceptional talent.

The Raiders will be back. They have an intelligent GM and a head coach with exceptional knowledge of the game..... and a new start in Vegas, in a state of the art stadium.............. look out NFL.............. the Raiders are coming!

... Obviously as a Bears fan I will be forever grateful to Gruden. I do not know the specifics of the Raiders salary capp at the time or whether or not it might have been a better decision to let Carr go and keep Mack, then Gruden could get the QB he really wants to groom. But I think the situation was handled very poorly by Gruden. He should have bent over backwards for Mack especially publicly, a humble guy with a killer work ethic, and met with him and let him know how valuable he is to him and the the franchise. But it seems Grudens ego got in the way. I would feel differently if Mack were a prima donna but obviously he had a big influence on the rest of the Raiders defense who were in shock after the trade because Gruden treated him like feces.

... In the end, Gruden may have needed to sign him and then trade him or maybe after meeting with him and showing Mack the respect he deserved, reluctantly trade him anyway. But if I am playing for a HC that treats our best player and hardest worker that leads by example like that, I would never trust the guy. This was handled completely opposite of the Rams that after 2 years of holding out kept saying Donald was their #1 priority and they were king hard to get a deal done. If they ended up trading him, fans and players alike would feel like they did everything they could to keep him. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I think the situation was handled very poorly by Gruden. He should have bent over backwards for Mack 

At the time there was literally no cap space. Also.... Gruden wanted no part of trading Mack. That was a decision between Davis and McKenzie. Gruden had no say in it.... despite what you hear "around the net". Gruden tried to meet/talk with Mack, but Mack's agent kept that from happening. It was inevitable that Mack was leaving the Raiders. His agent wouldn't talk and Mack didn't want to play for the Raiders any longer. I think it worked out well, considering.

... As a lifelong fan you would know the inner workings much better than I. But as a football fan watching from a distance, I never saw or heard Gruden do anything other say the ball was in Macks court. He just didn't do enough publicly to make anyone away from the franchise think he really wanted to keep him and as a new coach, that is his responsibility. The irony is the whole time this was happening I was dreaming of Mack becoming a Bear, but never thought it would happen. As a DE/LB hybrid my son's two favorite players are Julius Peppers and Khalil Mack and both were traded to the Bears. 

The Raiders have always operated differently than the other 31 teams. Sometimes to their own detriment... sometimes not. I think this time was a time where Al would have had Mack signed to an extension before the situation became unfixable.

I blame McKenzie for this more than Gruden. He had plenty of time to make Mack happy and keep his star player/draft pick. He dropped the ball.

It is what it is at this point.... and I don't have to worry about Reggie screwing things up anymore...lol. Time to move on!

13 hours ago, silver & black said:

... useless, little scared girl of a QB $25 million a year.

you make all very good intellectual points, (and an especially harsh, albeit accurate one above).  And I understand they are playing the long game.  But as the emotional fan that I am, it really sucks to lose a talent like that.  Call him what you will - HOF, generational, whatever.  It's just sad to see that one small glimmer of Raider Hope wearing another uniform.  But at least he's not playing for Pittsburgh!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Some fans from all teams only look at the now. Not thinking about how a trade helps the long term future. As a Lions fan I know this all to well. This season, we traded Golden Tate, while I say it was a necessary move since he was free at the end of the season, and was likely going to leave. Why not trade him since the playoffs at the time we’re not likely and we had some key injuries. Getting something for him was better than getting nothing and losing him anyway. I don’t think the Raiders moves were bad in the sense of building for future years, it just depends on how they use them. This years first round draft is heavily packed with some solid defensive players, so using those picks for some defensive talent could end up working very well for them. The draft will be interesting. After Bosa, there are still some really really good players available on defense. Should be an interesting draft. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

... I hear ya and agree for all but the most valuable players. Game changers are just so very hard to come by and when you have one, I think you should do everything in your power to keep them. A bona fide pass rusher like Mack, Donald and Miller that cannot be stopped is so rare in the NFL and I think it is a huge mistake to let one go. But as you said, sometimes due to salary cap, contracts ending and plans for the future may not line up with paying max salaries. However, just take a look at the last several years of late first round drafts and tell me if you think any two players are worth one Khalil Mack? I could make the argument no 4 players are worth one Mack. 

... All that said, I get there are many things happening behind closed doors and what seems obvious may not be. The Raiders may feel like they are at the beginning of a rebuild and Mack would have very little influence on wins and loses for the next several years and taking a chance on some late first round picks is s gamble they are willing to take. The Bears could certainly have used Robbie Gold this year and it could have meant 2 more wins and the difference in a bye in the first round. Saving some money was a huge mistake and Pace would no doubt admit that in private. I would not want to be a GM in todays NFL.  

On 12/31/2018 at 7:05 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Just got home from a long Family christmas. Decided to stay a few extra days since I don't get to see a few of them very often. Walked in the house to these babies laying on my counter.@chisag I sure hope you hit them straight. Nice call on the Bears this year. I will have them in the mail Wednesday. For my dad and you, I will be rooting for them to win it all. Go Bears!!!IMG_20181231_185914048.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... Leaving on my 3 day drive to Phoenix Monday morning and these TP5x balls arrived today for the trip. Thanks! I will put them to good use and every time I tee one up on the first hole it will remind me of the Bears winning the Super Bowl this year!  🤪 

... I am not a betting guy, especially NFL football games because a perfect pass bouncing off a receivers chest can result in a pick 6. And late in a game with a 5 point lead RB's can sit down instead of scoring. But especially the playoffs with decent parity and it is one and done so intensity is at an all time high and anything can happen. Freak plays change games. That said, defense is usually pretty stable and the Bears have covered the spread 9 out of the last 10 games. IF I were a betting man, I would take the Bears and the points. Otoh hand 6.5 points is a lot to cover and the Bears offense has been unpredictable. Good enough to win 12 games and if Parkey  made 2 FG's it would have been 14 games but they lost to the Giants and Dolphins so anything is possible.

... I just don't see Foles having a lot of success against the Bears defense because they are so fast and he is so immobile and Fangio will certainly take advantage of that.  Obviously he will try and get rid of the ball quickly which is a double edged sword against a great defense. No score would surpise me other than a lopsided Eagles win. 

Archived