Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Hey everyone,

I've been going over what set makeup to go with, or at least consider when going in to get custom fit when I'm ready to get new clubs and wanted to see if anyone's currently playing this kind of makeup and whether you'd recommend it.

My current setup is:

• Driver
  • 3W, 5W
  • 3i - PW
  • SW, LW
  • P

I'm looking at going with the following:

• Driver
  • 4W, 7W
  • 4H
  • 5i - 9i
  • PW, GW, SW, LW
  • P

Mainly looking at offerings from Ping, Titleist, Mizuno and Callaway. Currently play a mix between Nike, Odyssey and Ram.

Cheers,

Taylor

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

My setup is close to the second, although I usually go with a 4i over the hybrid.

So the question is... why? Is the first set giving you gapping issues? Forgiveness concerns? Just looking to mix things up?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

My current set is much closer to the first except I dropped the 5W for a GW and have a 2 iron instead of a 3 iron.

At the end of the day, you need to play what is best for you and my set is configured so I have the best chance at shooting well. Does the new set take strokes off your game?

What is your reasoning for the reconfiguration?

Also, don't limit yourself to those brands, Srixion, Hogan, and Maltby all make great clubs but just don't have the name recognition.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My setup is close to the second, although I usually go with a 4i over the hybrid.

So the question is... why? Is the first set giving you gapping issues? Forgiveness concerns? Just looking to mix things up?

A mix of them all really. I've not been able to play too much over the last few years with university taking up so much time and money and as a result and some deterioration in health, I've lost a lot of speed in my swing, making it hard to hit the 3 iron consistently anymore, when I used to quite well. I even find myself leaking the 4 iron out to the right as well.

I'm looking at jumping from basically a starter pack iron set in the Ram clubs, which I've had for well over 10 years now, into a much more compact players cavity iron. I'd like a bit more forgiveness in the longer clubs as well as a bit more height and higher descent angle so hybrid and 7 wood seem like the better play and certainly the more consistent options.

I've got some gapping issues with the wedges at the moment as I'm going from PW to 54 degree so the gap is a bit too big and leaves me with some awkward shots with the PW.

Mixing things up as all my clubs are quite old, though some not the most used due to lack of play. My wedges are 3 years old, driver and woods about 5-7 years and the irons over 10, so a change feels needed.

My current set is much closer to the first except I dropped the 5W for a GW and have a 2 iron instead of a 3 iron.

At the end of the day, you need to play what is best for you and my set is configured so I have the best chance at shooting well. Does the new set take strokes off your game?

What is your reasoning for the reconfiguration?

Also, don't limit yourself to those brands, Srixion, Hogan, and Maltby all make great clubs but just don't have the name recognition.

I do love the look of the Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons, but I'd have to see about getting them out to Canada to demo before buying, and a bit harder to get custom fit as they're not really carried anywhere.

I'm actually entered into a Tour Experience Golf (TXG) giveaway for a full set of Srixon's new line of clubs with Cleveland RTX 4 wedges, so they're not completely off my radar, but it's more of a case that I prefer the aesthetics of the other brands' clubs that I'm looking at. Bit shallow, but I'm not opposed to paying a bit more for the bigger name brands if the aesthetics and performance are all there.

A mix of them all really. I've not been able to play too much over the last few years with university taking up so much time and money and as a result and some deterioration in health, I've lost a lot of speed in my swing, making it hard to hit the 3 iron consistently anymore, when I used to quite well. I even find myself leaking the 4 iron out to the right as well.

I'm looking at jumping from basically a starter pack iron set in the Ram clubs, which I've had for well over 10 years now, into a much more compact players cavity iron. I'd like a bit more forgiveness in the longer clubs as well as a bit more height and higher descent angle so hybrid and 7 wood seem like the better play and certainly the more consistent options.

I've got some gapping issues with the wedges at the moment as I'm going from PW to 54 degree so the gap is a bit too big and leaves me with some awkward shots with the PW.

Mixing things up as all my clubs are quite old, though some not the most used due to lack of play. My wedges are 3 years old, driver and woods about 5-7 years and the irons over 10, so a change feels needed.

It seems like you have thought this through well. However a 4 H and a 7W might be fairly similar in distance and trajectory. I think you would benifit with a newer set with some more forgiveness in the longer clubs. I recommend getting fit for these clubs since it seems like you are planning on making a fairly large investment. The fitter should be able to help you out with gapping.

Out of curiosity, what is your swing speed and handicap?

FWIW my set, currently, is very close to your proposed setup (just no 7W). The only suggestion I can offer is go in to your fitter with an open mind .. just tell them what you're looking to accomplish with him/them and with your game. Let them evaluate your swing and where any potential gaps are, and then make recommendations and let you test. At the end of the day .. it's all about what works _for you_ ...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

It seems like you have thought this through well. However a 4 H and a 7W might be fairly similar in distance and trajectory. I think you would benifit with a newer set with some more forgiveness in the longer clubs. I recommend getting fit for these clubs since it seems like you are planning on making a fairly large investment. The fitter should be able to help you out with gapping.

Out of curiosity, what is your swing speed and handicap?

Yeah I've spent quite a bit of time thinking it over, though I should mention I'd be more looking at getting the 4W at 3W length and the 7W at 5W length just to optimize the launch a little more. I plan on getting custom fit with Ian Fraser over at Tour Experience Golf in Toronto. I've been following his content on YouTube quite a lot since they began earlier this year and I'm close enough to Toronto that making a trip to get fit with him would be worth it.

Not sure on those tbh, haven't played enough recently to have an accurate handicap, though I was at a 16 when I finished high school in 2010. Currently playing in the mid-100s when I have gone out, which has been rare. Driver carry is roughly 235 - 240 yards now. Used to be up nearer 255 but the speed and distance will come back as I get back into better health.

I like that set-up, don't have either one really but I like the one your trying to move to.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

FWIW my set, currently, is very close to your proposed setup. The only suggestion I can offer is go in to your fitter with an open mind .. just tell them what you're looking to accomplish with him/them and with your game. Let them evaluate your swing and where any potential gaps are, and then make recommendations and let you test. At the end of the day .. it's all about what works _for you_ ...

Definitely. Will do...

I'm mainly looking at getting some more distance at the Driver and 4W, but more accuracy, consistency, versatility, and distance control everywhere else. 

Would love to see your yardages for all clubs. Gapping is going to be key. If you don't want to drop a bunch of money and you don't mind fiddling with your phone, GolfPad GPS is only USD$20.

It's hard to make these decisions without data.

If there's one thing I can advise you, based upon the Cobra Connect Challenge, it's that you should not let aesthetics drive your club buying decision. Great performance trumps good looks every day.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Would love to see your yardages for all clubs. Gapping is going to be key. If you don't want to drop a bunch of money and you don't mind fiddling with your phone, GolfPad GPS is only USD$20.

It's hard to make these decisions without data.

If there's one thing I can advise you, based upon the Cobra Connect Challenge, it's that you should not let aesthetics drive your club buying decision. Great performance trumps good looks every day.

I haven't had the opportunity to get on a launch monitor with my current clubs, but here's my approximate carry yardages based on on-course performance in the 3 rounds I've played this year.

- 10.5° D 235-240 yards

- 15° 3W 215-220

- 19° 5W 200-205

- 3i 185-190 (minimal sample size

- 4i 170-175

- 5i 160-165

- 6i 150-155

- 7i 140-145

- 8i 130-135

- 9i 115-120

- PW 100-105

- 54° 80-85

- 58° 60-65

I downloaded the Hole19 App after my last round this year but haven't gotten back out on the course since to put it in use.

I intend on getting custom fit for this set as well as doing a ball fitting, so performance will be the deciding factor when I do pull the trigger on the new set. Basically, I'm just trying to have some ideas in mind when I go in for the custom fitting so I'm not hitting 6 different models at every step. I've narrowed it down to about 3 different models per club that based on the research I've done all perform well and have the added benefit of looking extremely good, in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

GB beat me to the punch on the 7 wood hybrid deal--- I have never been much of a hybrid man even though I do have one posted in my signature--- I actually need to change that because I have went back to my trusted beloved V-Steel 21* 7 wood. I have always been a proponent of put in your bag what fits your game style. I am the resident odd ball on here if you look at my signature you will see I still carry and can hit long irons. I hit the 3 iron and the 7 wood about the same distance but I hit several different shots with them too. You are taking what I feel are the correct basic steps of seeing a fitter and getting fit up. Remember there is no etched in stone way to play this game with either the swing method or equipment. you may find after playing a while you may have to tweak your set up on either the bottom end or the top end. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Being a shameless Eastern snob,

I always called it "set configuration" rather than "set makeup,"

but all kidding aside,

this was ALWAYS a favorite subject of mine.

I came up with what's almost certainly NOT an original idea,

but which I came to on my own without recommendation.

I looked at the golf set as TWO groups of clubs.

One part of the set was "shot specific" clubs.

The other part was what i thought of as "linear loft progression" clubs.

First, I'd put all the specific clubs that I knew that I wanted to have in the bag.

Then, I'd try to cover all the yardages as best as i could with the remaining of spots left in the bag.

It almost always included loft overlaps, and I never worried about them.

It's not a totally unusual thing to do, or at least it didn't used to be,

but I don't see much of that on this forum. 

It must be an old-fashioned way of equipping one's self.

GB beat me to the punch on the 7 wood hybrid deal--- I have never been much of a hybrid man even though I do have one posted in my signature--- I actually need to change that because I have went back to my trusted beloved V-Steel 21* 7 wood. I have always been a proponent of put in your bag what fits your game style. I am the resident odd ball on here if you look at my signature you will see I still carry and can hit long irons. I hit the 3 iron and the 7 wood about the same distance but I hit several different shots with them too. You are taking what I feel are the correct basic steps of seeing a fitter and getting fit up. Remember there is no etched in stone way to play this game with either the swing method or equipment. you may find after playing a while you may have to tweak your set up on either the bottom end or the top end. 

I've not really been much of a hybrid guy either, but based on current performance with the long irons and my desire to play more compact, bladed style irons, a bit more forgiveness at that level would be welcomed. The 4H may in fact turn out to be a 5H just based on lofts as the 5 irons I'm looking at are all about 27 degrees, so jumping down to a 22 degree 4H may be a bit too big of a gap.

If anything, I will likely purchase a 4 iron as well as the hybrid to fit that slot just so I have some options depending on course and the like.

I've not really been much of a hybrid guy either, but based on current performance with the long irons and my desire to play more compact, bladed style irons, a bit more forgiveness at that level would be welcomed. The 4H may in fact turn out to be a 5H just based on lofts as the 5 irons I'm looking at are all about 27 degrees, so jumping down to a 22 degree 4H may be a bit too big of a gap.

If anything, I will likely purchase a 4 iron as well as the hybrid to fit that slot just so I have some options depending on course and the like.

If you are looking at a blade like set, consider a combo iron set.

I am not sure what you are looking at but maybe the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-5 iron and Forged 6-PW with a 3 hybrid or a 7W.

If you are looking at a blade like set, consider a combo iron set.

I am not sure what you are looking at but maybe the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-5 iron and Forged 6-PW with a 3 hybrid or a 7W.

I have been considering combo sets, but I find the lofting can be hard to match up, but a good fitter will make it work. Looking more at the Mizuno JPX 919 Tours, Ping iBlades, and Titleist 718 CBs for 5i through 9i. If I go for a 4i, it'll likely be either Ping i210 or Titleist T-MB. Not a fan of bulky "game improvement" irons. 

Being a shameless Eastern snob,

I always called it "set configuration" rather than "set makeup,"

but all kidding aside,

this was ALWAYS a favorite subject of mine.

I came up with what's almost certainly NOT an original idea,

but which I came to on my own without recommendation.

First, I'd put all the specific clubs that I knew that I wanted to have in the bag.

Then, I'd try to cover all the yardages as best as i could with the remaining of spots left in the bag.

Yep that is the old school way to do it. I still do it that way. I do not worry about lofts at all or overlapping. Good example you see in my signature or tournament legal set. On my signature set you see I still carry the 3 & 4 irons. The hybrid is 21* which is the same as my 3 iron. I hit 2 different shots with those 2 clubs. Most of the time the 3 iron I hit a stinger cut about 7 ft high now that is a screamer and rolls out to about 200 or so. The hybrid I hit a high soft cut that will stop on a green about 185 190 carry. My conforming legal set I carry the 2013 Callaway X Forged irons. The 4 iron with that set is 21* the 7 wood I carry with that set is also 21* > Hit basically the same shot with both as I do the signature set even though I hit the 4 iron a little higher than a blade 3 iron. On the tournament set if the wind is blowing bad I will pull the 7 wood out and put the 3 iron in which is 18*. A 7 wood or hybrid here in the wind is about as useful as a screen door on a Submarine

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If you hit Srixons or Mizuno, you may never go back. Also, You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check Cleveland wedges. I just picked up a 4th CBX wedge to replace my PW. So sweet and easy.

I know people have been huge on the Hogan Equalizers and Mizuno is always good.

Good luck!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Hey everyone,

I've been going over what set makeup to go with, or at least consider when going in to get custom fit when I'm ready to get new clubs and wanted to see if anyone's currently playing this kind of makeup and whether you'd recommend it.

My current setup is:

• Driver
  • 3W, 5W
  • 3i - PW
  • SW, LW
  • P
I'm looking at going with the following:
  • Driver
  • 4W, 7W
  • 4H
  • 5i - 9i
  • PW, GW, SW, LW
  • P
Mainly looking at offerings from Ping, Titleist, Mizuno and Callaway. Currently play a mix between Nike, Odyssey and Ram.

Cheers,

Taylor

The second one is somewhat similar to mine but I game two hybrids instead of 2 FWs and I've finally found a 3 wood that I can hit.

Getting fit is a great idea - a fitter who sees your swing should be able to recommend a good set make up for you.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like the idea of having 16-ish clubs and you can switch some in and out depending on what you need. Some courses may have longer par 3s, while maybe other rounds you need more short game options.

I, too, am partial to that idea as well. Honestly, I'd love to see the rules change to allow for 16 clubs.

...I actually need to change that because I have went back to my trusted beloved V-Steel 21* 7 wood...

Just a little PSA to all of the youngsters on the forum. If you see someone with a V-Steel in their bag, don't play them for money. Pick them as your partner.

Nifty - I'm not that young anymore, but I pretend to be. I think many of us put too much faith in:

1. The configuration of our equipment

2. Our own abilities

to give us proper gapping. Interestingly, the cure for this is actually more technology. Arccos tells me that I hit my 4 and 5 irons in my new set virtually the same distance. Honestly, that's not incredibly surprising. So perhaps I can take a few degrees off of my 4 iron, or I might just take it out of the bag. Or both, depending upon the course.

I would bet that the vast majority of us have at least two clubs that we hit the same distance. And I don't mean like Stu does, where he hits them the same distance, but with completely different ball flights to be used in different situations.

I have been considering combo sets, but I find the lofting can be hard to match up, but a good fitter will make it work. Looking more at the Mizuno JPX 919 Tours, Ping iBlades, and Titleist 718 CBs for 5i through 9i. If I go for a 4i, it'll likely be either Ping i210 or Titleist T-MB. Not a fan of bulky "game improvement" irons.

There are at least five of us who would recommend that you check out the Cobra F8s as well ;)

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just a little PSA to all of the youngsters on the forum. If you see someone with a V-Steel in their bag, don't play them for money. Pick them as your partner.

Nifty - I'm not that young anymore, but I pretend to be. I think many of us put too much faith in:

2. Our own abilities

to give us proper gapping. Interestingly, the cure for this is actually more technology. Arccos tells me that I hit my 4 and 5 irons in my new set virtually the same distance. Honestly, that's not incredibly surprising. So perhaps I can take a few degrees off of my 4 iron, or I might just take it out of the bag. Or both, depending upon the course.

I would bet that the vast majority of us have at least two clubs that we hit the same distance. And I don't mean like Stu does, where he hits them the same distance, but with completely different ball flights to be used in different situations.

There are at least five of us who would recommend that you check out the Cobra F8s as well ;)

Probably the better bet to take the 4 iron out of the bag and go with a hybrid, as dropping the loft will likely just result in an unplayable club if you're getting the same distance out of your 4 and 5 irons. I assume you're fairly steep in attack angle, which is likely why they go the same. Ian Fraser talks about it in TXG's latest video where they go through Matt's gapping from wedges into irons. Well worth a watch in my opinion as you really can see why a proper fitting with a gapping test after they're built to spec is so important. Here's the link: 

I don't want to discount the performance on the Cobras, as I'm sure they're great, but will have to get one in my hands before I consider them more seriously.

My set makeup is

Driver 10.5*

3wood 15*

3iron 21*

4iron 24*

5iron 27*

6iron 31*

7iron 35*

8iron 39*

9iron 43*

Pwedge 47*

Gap 51*

Sand 55*

Lob 59*

And to think those are weak lofted irons by today's standards

2. Our own abilities

Clubbing myself was a strength.

I hit too many greens for an eight and too many for an injured, elderly 13.

I KNEW what I wanted to pull out of my bag and what it would usually do..

But not having scratch talent, I didn't always execute the shot.

When I missed the GIR, that's when the chaos began.

If I didn't insist on trying to lob everything right at  the hole, even from puttable fringe, I would likely have been better.   But bumping and chipping and fringe putting wasn't fun. Lobbing was fun. It sent everybody scrambling for cover.  Fun.

I couldn't play with a set that wasn't fine tuned to me, configuration-wise, because playing what I didn't like wasn't fun. ,

Yeah, that's what I figured. 

An old school approach.

Now Nifty old buddy would you really expect me to approach it any other way than old school? You know I have been the resident Old School Fart on here until you showed up. Which it is good to have company here in our little world  :rolleyes:

G

Now Nifty old buddy would you really expect me to approach it any other way than old school? You know I have been the resident Old School Fart on here until you showed up. Which it is good to have company here in our little world  :rolleyes:

What i appreciate, Stu,

is that you can actually play the game even better than I talk about it.

But it's great game that can draw so many diverse characters to it, isn't it?

Archived