Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

If you hit Srixons or Mizuno, you may never go back. Also, You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check Cleveland wedges. I just picked up a 4th CBX wedge to replace my PW. So sweet and easy.

I know people have been huge on the Hogan Equalizers and Mizuno is always good.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me and this is just me the newer Clevelands do not have the feel or weight for me as the older non-conforming 588s. That is why if you look at my signature on the Tournament bag you will see a mix of 3 different brands of wedges. In all truth if I had a choice the wedges in the regular set ( 588s) would be in the Tournament bag. What was surprising was the Hopkins> I have had those things several years now and was hot and cold about them. Saw where Kenny Perry was playing an older 64* Hopkins so I figured if it was good enough for him it may be good enough for me. I did some tuning for me and delofted it 2* and it has worked so far and exceeded my greatest expectations. The Mizuno was also a great surprise. I picked it up off the scrap pile and wondered why anyone would scrap it. It was pristine and conforming. I did change the shaft and did not need any lead tape for weighting at all. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My set makeup is

Driver 10.5*

3wood 15*

3iron 21*

4iron 24*

5iron 27*

6iron 31*

7iron 35*

8iron 39*

9iron 43*

Pwedge 47*

Gap 51*

Sand 55*

Lob 59*

And to think those are weak lofted irons by today's standards

Yep those are sorta in the middle 80s specs--- weak by today's standards but strong by 60s and 70s standards. Those lofts you posted are basically what all the remake blades of the 80s came at ie: Macgregor VIPs Wilson Staff. Those are also basically the same lofts of Mizuno blades ie MP-68s etc that are true blades. Most of my vintage sets except the 50s Hogans and Macgregors I base off of a 47*-48* PW

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

What i appreciate, Stu,

is that you can actually play the game even better than I talk about it.

But it's great game that can draw so many diverse characters to it, isn't it?

Yep it is a great game--- I think I learned the diversity of it on both swings and equipment at an early age working at the course the old man ran. Adds a whole new light to the meaning "there is more than one way to skin a catfish"--------- I do not play as good as I used to but I guess I play ok for a old fart that rarely practices and plays maybe 2 times a week. And really I switch around equipment a whole lot just to see if I can decently play different stuff. Back in the day when I played comps and money matches I rarely switched sticks. I played the same set of PB Citation blades for 10 years until I wore them out. Carried the same Spalding Elite 10 iron and Wilson R-90 SW until I wore them out too. Putted with the same Zing 2 for 20 years until it got cold. 

G

Mmmm... redlines. Played them all through HS and college.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

BIG STU have you ever owned or had the chance to hit a set of ‘88 Ben Hogan redlines?

I have never owned a set but have hit them some. Good sticks but my holy grail on the Hogan side besides the 54 Precisions I own and played yesterday are the 99 Apex that are Endo forged. I own a 99 Apex 2 iron one of my friends from Canada sent me and that is one sweet hitting club. In the Hogan world you have Hogan guys torn between 88 Redlines and 99 Apex. IMHO both are great timeless sets

G

. I own a 99 Apex 2 iron one of my friends from Canada sent me and that is one sweet hitting club. In the Hogan world you have Hogan guys torn between 88 Redlines and 99 Apex. IMHO both are great timeless sets

In think it was 1980, but I'm not positive about that.  Actually, I'm close to positive.

Janie Blalock was in a slump, stuck at 27 tour wins for a couple of years and not about to win number 28 for a couple more.

Despite having been one of the hottest (and also most controversial) LPGA winners of the early and mid-seventies, this was now the time of Nancy Lopez, Pat Bradley, and Amy Alcott.  Janie didn't even have a club contract, and her caddy was carrying a plain brown leather bag with no logo.

Playing clubs of her own choosing, her choice was Hogan Apex IIs, a late seventies model that was as plain and simple a blade as I've ever seen.  The club had the simplest graphics possible--Ben Hogan in script, a cameo of Hogan with his iconic cap, and a club number stamped on the sole.  (For what it's worth, the 9-iron on that set was 45º, the "Equalizer" PW was 50º, and Janie's only other wedge in the bag was a Wilson Staff JPII  56º sand wedge.  I was close enough to see all of that.

Janie was actually bagging the 2-iron from that set, and although I could have lifted Ms. Blalock up over my head back then, I could not have gotten that butter-knife 2-iron, which she smashed like a laser, more than six feet off the ground.

I followed Jane for all eighteen holes around Ferncroft, watching her card a tidy 68. 

I have no idea what moves me to tell this story, except to say that those Hogan irons were drop dead beautiful.  They looked like jewelry as much as sporting goods.

In think it was 1980, but I'm not positive about that.  Actually, I'm close to positive.

Janie Blalock was in a slump, stuck at 27 tour wins for a couple of years and not about to win number 28 for a couple more.

Despite having been one of the hottest (and also most controversial) LPGA winners of the early and mid-seventies, this was now the time of Nancy Lopez, Pat Bradley, and Amy Alcott.  Janie didn't even have a club contract, and her caddy was carrying a plain brown leather bag with no logo.

Playing clubs of her own choosing, her choice was Hogan Apex IIs, a late seventies model that was as plain and simple a blade as I've ever seen.  The club had the simplest graphics possible--Ben Hogan in script, a cameo of Hogan with his iconic cap, and a club number stamped on the sole.  (For what it's worth, the 9-iron on that set was 45º, the "Equalizer" PW was 50º, and Janie's only other wedge in the bag was a Wilson Staff JPII  52º sand wedge.  I was close enough to see all of that.

Janie was actually bagging the 2-iron from that set, and although I could have lifted Ms. Blalock up over my head back then, I could not have gotten that butter-knife 2-iron, which she smashed like a laser, more than six feet off the ground.

I followed Jane for all eighteen holes around Ferncroft, watching her card a tidy 68. 

I have no idea what moves me to tell this story, except to say that those Hogan irons were drop dead beautiful.  They looked like jewelry as much as sporting goods.

In the Hogan world those are called Cameos--- One set has the white background the other has a white background--- No difference in the clubs at all except the year made. And you are dead on about the loft of the Equalizer at 50*--- I know because I carry one with the set of 54 Precisions I played yesterday because unfortunately I do not have the Precision Equalizer. One of the best Equalizers ever made and the Cameo Apex are also a Holy Grail Set in the Hogan world 

G

I had to edit the loft of that Wilson sand wedge after failing to proof read my post, but I'm sure y'all knew what I meant.  Big Stu quoted the original error for posterity, but it's bumped up to 56º on the original post, now.

Of course I'm not even positive that the edit is right.

The Wilson Staff JPII pitching and sand wedges were aftermarket upgrades to the ones that came with Wilson Staff or Walter Hagen Ultra forged sets back then. Toward the very end of their run, they made a lob as well.

The Wilson Staff JPII pitching and sand wedges were aftermarket upgrades to the ones that came with Wilson Staff or Walter Hagen Ultra forged sets back then. Toward the very end of their run, they made a lob as well.

At the club I caddied at, back in the late 80s/early 90s, there were several JPII wedges (pitching and sand) in the bags of better players. Even the club pro, a TaylorMade staffer, had JPII wedges.

I did not, because I had the Apex 88s (Redlines), and I wouldn't give up that EQUALIZER for anything.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Hey everyone,

I've been going over what set makeup to go with, or at least consider when going in to get custom fit when I'm ready to get new clubs and wanted to see if anyone's currently playing this kind of makeup and whether you'd recommend it.

My current setup is:

• Driver
  • 3W, 5W
  • 3i - PW
  • SW, LW
  • P

I'm looking at going with the following:

• Driver
  • 4W, 7W
  • 4H
  • 5i - 9i
  • PW, GW, SW, LW
  • P

Mainly looking at offerings from Ping, Titleist, Mizuno and Callaway. Currently play a mix between Nike, Odyssey and Ram.

Cheers,

Taylor

Hey Taylor my current setup looks similar to your first setup but ultimately it is what works best for you and your game.. I'd definitely recommend you try out Callaway's GBB Epic Heaven Wood (At least for this Epic line the Heaven Wood is its own animal. 170cc head which is larger than the 5W, but it's 20º loft which is 2º higher than the 5 wood. Shaft length is .25" longer than the 5W and the lie angle is the same as the 5W. The Epic 7W is shorter, smaller, more upright, and higher lofted.) aside from that when it comes to getting fitted for irons I'd recommend looking into "player distance Irons" which just hit the golf scene. Golf Spy posted a solid article/review of the best 2018 ones. Here's the link  https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-players-iron/

Hope this helps!

:titelist-small: Tsi2 9.0º Tensei Blue AV-Series 55g

:callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero 3 Wood 15.0º Project X HZRDUS T800 65g

:callaway-small: Epic Heaven Wood 20.0º Project X HZRDUS T800 65g

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 Irons 3-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S300 +1/2 Length, +2 lie

:callaway-small: MD3 Wedge Milled S Grind 52º 10º

:callaway-small: MD Wedge PM Grind 60º 10º

:cameron-small:  SSS Tour Masterful 009 350g

DXTuapS.png 3.5 Push Cart     Dxywf21.jpg 1V1jJyL.png

I like the first one better. That's what I play as well.

Driver, 3W, 5W

4-P

50, 54, 58 wedges

I hate hybrids lol

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hey Taylor my current setup looks similar to your first setup but ultimately it is what works best for you and your game.. I'd definitely recommend you try out Callaway's GBB Epic Heaven Wood (At least for this Epic line the Heaven Wood is its own animal. 170cc head which is larger than the 5W, but it's 20º loft which is 2º higher than the 5 wood. Shaft length is .25" longer than the 5W and the lie angle is the same as the 5W. The Epic 7W is shorter, smaller, more upright, and higher lofted.) aside from that when it comes to getting fitted for irons I'd recommend looking into "player distance Irons" which just hit the golf scene. Golf Spy posted a solid article/review of the best 2018 ones. Here's the link https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-players-iron/

Hope this helps!

I do like the sound of that Heaven Wood. Will have to check it out. I've added some player's distance irons to the list so I have a more "control" option and a more "distance" option to consider.

I do think the second setup would probably be more advisable but I have always been more of a long iron player so I'm finding it hard to really want to make that switch to a hybrid. It'll likely be one of those things where I'll see how I like them versus utility/long irons and go with what works best for my game during a fitting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I like the first one better. That's what I play as well.

Driver, 3W, 5W

4-P

50, 54, 58 wedges

I hate hybrids lol

I'm not personally a big fan of hybrids but I've not hit one in years so would be a good idea to give them a second crack despite being more of a long iron player typically.

I'm not personally a big fan of hybrids but I've not hit one in years so would be a good idea to give them a second crack despite being more of a long iron player typically.

Look at the Titleist and Srixon hybrids. They are much easier to hit and set up fairly square so they won't be hook machines like others. A lot of other brand's hybrids are set up closed to help slicers, but better players have a tendency to hook them.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Look at the Titleist and Srixon hybrids. They are much easier to hit and set up fairly square so they won't be hook machines like others. A lot of other brand's hybrids are set up closed to help slicers, but better players have a tendency to hook them.

Will do. I already have a bit of an issue with hooks so wouldn't want a club that makes that worse.

For me, distance gapping of my wedges and short irons is most important. The course and course conditions will have the most influence on what makeup of hybrids, long irons and woods that will be in my bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Archived