Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Driver Pop

fixyurdivot

I purchased a used Razr-Fit driver in January at a shop in AZ.  It has been the best $50 I've spent on golf.  While chatting with some guys in the club house after a round the other day, one of them was thinking his driver had "lost some of its pop".  He was certain it was not damaged (cracked) but just that it was not getting the distance it did when new.

Not knowing the history of the driver I purchased, it got me thinking.  While it is in like new condition cosmetically and has a stock shaft, for all I know it was used by a 6'9", 280 lb small NBA forward with a triple digit swing speed.  How real is this notion that drivers loose their "pop"?  My brief interwebz search suggests this is folly - more likely a golfer looking for an excuse.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't buy into that theory. This past weekend I was driving the ball as good as I have all summer with equal or greater distance. FWIW - My driver is a 2014 SLDR.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with PlaidJacket. I just returned from the range where I was hitting a 20 plus year old first flight driver. It goes about 210. Considering age of the test robot and declination in swing speed the club is just fine. Note. I use that small head to focus on strike since that driver head could fit inside my current driver and still have room to move around

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

Unless the club is damaged or cracked, this is just an excuse for poor play. A driver can not lose "pop", if anything a driver would get broken in and be better.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Totally agree with all of the above

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived