Forum Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
MmmmmmBuddy

Heading to Pinehurst in 13 days..

I am heading back East to play Pinehurst #2, #8 and the Cradle in Mid September.  This will be my first trip to NC.  Any tips?

• Like 4

Yes. Play Pine Needles and Mid-Pines. And... they're right across the street for each other. Look them up. Personally I'd opt to play them over the PH courses.

• Like 4

Yes. Play Pine Needles and Mid-Pines. And... they're right across the street for each other. Look them up. Personally I'd opt to play them over the PH courses.

This.

Pinehurst is overrated and overpriced. You'll enjoy Midpines and Pine Needles a hell of a lot more and save half of your money.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I always refer people to get in touch with forum member DaveP043. He lives there and has wealth of knowledge. We didn't get to play #2 the first time I was there as the weather wasn't good so we canceled. For what we'd have paid I'm glad quite frankly. I've play a couple of other courses at the resort #4 and #6. Both were pretty nice.... but I'd still stick with Pine Needles and Mid-Pines. Both of those courses are historic and just old school cool IMO. Both club houses are like going back in time. I recommend hanging out at PN for lunch and a beer too. Still haven't played Southern Pines but I'm told it's a must play.

When Dave drops in to the discussion he'll offer more insider thoughts. He also knows good places to eat.

• Like 3

Corporate event. Not paying for any of it.

Nice also don't forget Stu lives in the area he plays courses around there a lot too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I appreciate the publicity that Plaid Jacket brings me, but I'm far from an expert.  I do own a condo at Talamore, and have visited the Pinehurst area a good dozen times over the last decade.  If you're there on a corproate junket, and playing #2 and the Cradle, I imagine you're staying at the Carolina Hotel.  Food there is excellent, and your golf will be excellent as well.  If you DO get a chance to play more golf, I agree that Mid Pines and Pine Needles are both outstanding choices.  Personally, I prefer Mid Pines.

I know that the Pinehurst properties have a bunch of drinking and dining options, and all are pretty good.  If you want to get "off-campus", I can highly recommend Maxies for good bar food, lots of TVs, and a good beer selection.  Dugan's is an old classic in the middle of the Village, and the Drum and Quill is nice too.  There are a lot more good places, but all involve a ride, and there's really no reason to ride if you're stying right in the village.  Let me know if you want more options.

• Like 4

Don't play the tips!

Enjoy

• Like 2

Don't play the tips!

Enjoy

I was there for the 2014 U.S. Open, and have played #2 since then. Most people wouldn't even know where the tips really are, a lot of them are on nearby holes, without any markers.
  • Like 2

Oh, a tip for #2, always play to the middle of every single green.  And probably, do NOT expect a ball to spin to a quick stop.  Have fun!

• Like 2

Both club houses are like going back in time. I recommend hanging out at PN for lunch and a beer too. 

I spent plenty of time walking around both Mid Pines and Pine Needles club houses.  The history from those places is incredible, and you can spend hours looking at photos and other memorabilia on the walls.

But I did scoot over to Pinehurst while there and walked around the clubhouse there as well.  Most of the history on the walls is recent, but it's worth looking at as well.  The highlight if at Pinehurst was taking pictures by the Donald Ross and Payne Stewart statues.  Such incredible history and tradition at that place.

Playing Pinehurst for free is simply the icing on the cake.  You will love every minute of it, especially since it's free.

• Like 2

Oh, last piece of advice (maybe).  If possible, walk and take caddie.  One of the better ones is from Liverpool, I'm pretty sure his name is Keith.  

• Like 2

Oh, last piece of advice (maybe). If possible, walk and take caddie. One of the better ones is from Liverpool, I'm pretty sure his name is Keith.

Not Paul, George, John or Ringo?

• Like 2

Not Paul, George, John or Ringo?

Two of those guys make really slow caddies

• Like 1

Sooooooo, This trip is slightly postponed...   DAMN IT Hurricane..  

That really is a bummer!!!  Have you rescheduled?  Late Oct is usually quite lovely there.

Looks like the last week in November. Brrrr

I'll be there the week before, all of Thanksgiving week.  Its usually fine for golf, just a little cool.  

• Like 1

I'll be there the week before, all of Thanksgiving week.  Its usually fine for golf, just a little cool.  

The travel in and out should be "fun" that weekend.  I try to avoid travel on holiday weekends as much as humanly possible.  Its a long haul from my neck of the woods..

The travel in and out should be "fun" that weekend.  I try to avoid travel on holiday weekends as much as humanly possible.  Its a long haul from my neck of the woods..

Its never fun on Friday evening or Sunday afternoon, we try to avoid those days whenever possible.  But if it means getting in one last round of golf, we'll play Sunday early and just suck it up on the ride back home.