Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Member Review: AZStu's Smoked Pork Jerky Stage 1

sirchunksalot

First of all, I would like to thank Stu for giving me his recipe for smoking pork jerky. Heck, without him, I wouldn't have even thought to try to make jerky on the smoker. I hope that I do it justice.

Second, I would like to thank My Golf Spy for not only creating a great forum for discussing golf, but also a place to get to know each other and share expertise and experience.

ABOUT ME:

I'm a 43 year old man from southeast Tennessee who loves my family, my pets, golf, and food. I was fortunate to be raised into a family that knows how to cook. My Nanny was always around growing up and she made sure this fella was fed.She once told me "Jason, you need to lose weight, you need to lose weight, you need to lose weight...do you want me to make biscuits and gravy in the morning?".

I just recently started smoking meats, when I received a smoker as a reward for giving five years of blood, sweat, and tears working for an auto manufacturer. It was so worth it. Come to think of it, I could have bought one, but having worked swings, my mind wasn't always there.

I love smoking Turkey, pork, ribs, macaroni and cheese (try it). It's just a joy to be able to experiment with all different things.

My wife calls a smoker a man's crock pot.

THE EQUIPMENT:

I have a Southern Country electric smoker with a capacity of around 300 square inches of cooking space.

As you can see, the temperature gauge is a little lacking, but I bought an oven thermometer to monitor the heat.

THE FOOD:

For the jerky I bought a half of a pork loin roast that I cut up into small strips. I also used pineapple juice, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and brown sugar for the marinade. I let it sit for two days in this before smoking it with maple wood chips.

I have been able to get the temperature of the smoker to around 180 degrees and am going to give it about eight hours before checking it for doneness. Alas, I didn't have any sriracha so I am sad about that.

Thank you for reading this, I'll post up a stage two to let you know how it turns out. Thanks again to Stu, I really appreciate it.

20170211_140157.jpg

20180903_092717.jpg

20180901_090216.jpg

20180901_092120.jpg

20180901_094044.jpg

Solid stage 1. Looking forward to stage two and seeing if you keep the jerky in the smoker.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Samples?

:P

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Go you good thing! Love my drum smoker, in fact, I did a double smoked ham on Sunday.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Go you good thing! Love my drum smoker, in fact, I did a double smoked ham on Sunday.

I absolutely love my smoker, too. You can make so many delicious things in them. I forgot to mention that I've also made meatloaf. Google Jack Daniels smoked meatloaf and give that a try. It's the one from 4 sons r us, it's spicy but you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I only do smoked meatloaf now and have had for a couple of years.

Check out bbqbrethren.com, one of the best BBQ forums out there.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Archived