TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shrinking handicap

kingcscott

shoot lower scores.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think the formula changes January 1st so lower handicaps should be the norm.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

With it being 8.1, it's probably one of 2 things. Either it's short game or it's penalty strokes. Getting up and down a couple more times in the round can lower it by a couple strokes. Eliminate the penalties. Those are the most common ways to get a bit lower. Hitting more greens can also help, but just getting up and down for par a couple more times in the round will help bring it down.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think definitely my greatest progress is hitting more greens. Over the last year my progress was gained in putting. My Evnroll definitely changed my rolling game.

I just got an ST180 and retired my 10+ years old Mizzy. That gain of distance should help my greens as I'll be firing with shorter clubs.

With it being 8.1, it's probably one of 2 things. Either it's short game or it's penalty strokes. Getting up and down a couple more times in the round can lower it by a couple strokes. Eliminate the penalties. Those are the most common ways to get a bit lower. Hitting more greens can also help, but just getting up and down for par a couple more times in the round will help bring it down.

Was going to say the samething. More gir or up/downs will do it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think the formula changes January 1st so lower handicaps should be the norm.

I didn't know there were changes coming for handicaps. What are they?

I looked it up. Kicks in 2020. Only count 8 best rounds instead of best 10 out of 20. Adjusts daily and course conditions are factored in. What that means is if the are 30 mph winds one day and course scores are higher they take that into account. They say it will be tougher on sandbaggers but I'm sure those losers will find a way.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I am playing off 8.1 or something right now and know there is less shrink the lower I go. Who has some tips to bring it down, Legally?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

it's all short game man. Treat the chip from off the green as your first putt, with the goal of putting it to within 3 feet so you can make the putt for par.

Just watch the pros on TV and count the number of times during a single broadcast they get up and down for par. I bet the % is greater than 75% for them.

Just count your GIR during a round. A good round is probably 50% GIR. It's what you do with the 9 missed GIR that will bring your scores down.

Always comes down to the short game. Always.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I am playing off 8.1 or something right now and know there is less shrink the lower I go. Who has some tips to bring it down, Legally?

Call me when you need tips on making it swell.

I brought that same index to twelve and change once i started falling apart physically.

Track & record all shots (Distance, Flight, Proximity to Hole, Trends, Course/Conditions Played). Detailed statistics is essential. Doesn't matter if on paper, app or digital, such as Accros, Shot ScopeV2 or similar shot tracker devices. Understanding your weaknesses & trends (ego, fitness, mental focus) can help you tremendously. Concentrate on improving your weak links in your game. I even check my daily bio-rhythm app before playing. Keeping statistics will also keep you better focus throughout the round. Good course management is the key. Check out this link... https://break-80/how-to-break-80/ by golf sidekick.com (also on YouTube).

shoot lower scores.

What Plaid said seems simple, but its true.  For most people, improvement will come mostly from full swings, better driving, more GIRs.  Those make short game easier, shorter birdie putts, easier up-and-downs.  Just keep improving.  If you have a weak area, work on that.  Congratulations on getting this far, and good luck in taking the next steps.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Gotta be GIR's...Shoot, if I could get a handle on that and 2-putt every time.... :rolleyes:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

What Plaid said seems simple, but its true.  For most people, improvement will come mostly from full swings, better driving, more GIRs.  Those make short game easier, shorter birdie putts, easier up-and-downs.  Just keep improving.  If you have a weak area, work on that.  Congratulations on getting this far, and good luck in taking the next steps.

I'm working on it!!  But it's a stretch for me.  I am also an 8.5, but up slightly from 7.7 this spring.  The reason I'm up a little is that I am going through a swing change to try to be more consistent and get more distance.  I am struggling a little between my new swing and my old one, and I have not spent the time on my short game as I did last year.  

I don't usually have any penalty shots, but getting to the green in regulation is tough unless I can drive the ball further.  So, that's what I am working on.  On those days when I can get up and down, I can score in the mid to high 70's.  When the short game lets me down, it's low to mid 80's.  Right now, I need to keep working on the long game for awhile longer before I can get back to my usual short game practice regimen.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Gotta be GIR's...Shoot, if I could get a handle on that and 2-putt every time.... :rolleyes:

Ha! Don't we all wish that.

If I could just find the fairway more than 2 times around I could be scratch for sure... more practice with the Driver and 3W is what I need.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Up and downs need a bit of work. I am pretty good chipping but had a hiccup this past spring and have been working on it.

My long iron game is starting to come around. GIR is trending up right now as putting is trending down most of the time.

There are certainly days when I'm not on and those can hurt. I went up to 10+ early this year but have been drifting back down the last couple months.

What I have discovered recently was my tempo was too fast and sharp for me. I have to stay calm and swing smoothly like I can and when I do my shots improve. Got to work a bit with my new driver

Hard work....Fairways and greens is my key as well as up and downs. Avoid 3 putts and penalties. Penalties are kilers for me as U dont make a ton of birdies to get them back.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I was down to a four a couple of years ago and had a major falling out with my short game and am now an 8. Pros average at best 12 GIR per round. Gotta be able to get up and down on the majority of the greens you miss and no worse than 2 putt on the ones you hit.

I'd look at distance from hole on greens hit and par saves from off the green to assess where work is needed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Play more often...

;)

this works...

Course management and less risk taking

Know your club distances clearly

Course management, did I say that yet?

Get a driver that puts you in play more often if you don't already have it.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived