TESTERS WANTED! ×

Modern Irons are here to stay

chisag

... Complaining about modern iron lofts is an exercise in futility. All of us that played traditional lofts for years have had to adjust to new irons and their much stronger lofts. It is what it is and trying to fight it is like wishing your iPhone still had a rotary dial. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

... I keep reading that modern "distance" irons have hot spots and produce flyers that can go 20+ yards from the middle of the fairway. And their soles do not allow the club to get thru the turf like an MB with a thin sole. Of course this is voodoo nonsense as every iron will go the same distance if hit with the same swing speed in the same spot on the face. I have been playing 790's for almost a year now and in over 200 rounds I have never experienced a flyer that was not caused by grass between the ball and the club face, just like any other iron I have played. In fact, because they are so forgiving, I swing freely and have found them to be the most accurate irons I have ever played. Playing to a + index, accuracy is essential to scoring so I would not be playing a distance iron if they were not consistent and accurate. At age 65 and a smooth swinger, I can use the extra distance although it isn't something I look for in an iron, it was just a nice bonus. P790's look just about perfect to my eye, although the top line is thicker than I find ideal, but the shape and head size is almost like I designed them myself. And they are very forgiving for players irons, especially shots hit a little low on the face.

... And my P790's go thru the ground and produce a divot just like my MP63's. Granted, the 63's have a sharper leading edge and really glide thru the ground where the 790's seem like they are working harder to produce the same divot because the leading edge isn't as sharp, making them more forgiving of slightly fat shots which certainly high index, mid index and even low index players experience occasionally, so I understand that design. Obviously the ball is long gone before the leading edge touches the ground so it is a matter of feel, not performance. Many MB's are designed for tour level ball striking and as much as a single digit index player wants to say their ball striking is just a notch behind the guys on tour, most guys that play golf for a living hit thousands and thousands of balls every week and certainly more in one month than single digit players hit in a year. So it is a very rare individual that can choose their irons based on what they play on tour. 

... Now I understand there are many reasons to choose an iron. Looks, feel, ego and a desire to play what the pro's play are all perfectly legit reasons to choose an iron IF shooting your lowest score is not your primary goal. The rest of us looking to shoot the lowest score should play the most forgiving irons we can effectively play. That means different things to different levels of play and for a very select few it even means MB's. 

... The bottom line is find irons that work best for you and do not buy into internet tour wannabe's that claim any iron is inconsistent or produces flyers or don't go thru the turf and can't take a divot. Irons are simply tools that allow you to make a ball go from point A to point B. With todays low spin balls, some irons are higher flying and really want to just go straight with less spin and some move the ball easier with more spin especially when you get into the short irons. Figuring out which works best for your game is part of the fun for us forum enthusiasts and don't let anyone on any forum influence what you should or should not play. Positive opinions are excellent starting points but in the end only you can decide what works best for your game. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent post. I think jacustomgolf's i700 review supports your argument and even takes it a step further being a GI iron, not just a players distance iron.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

The same people that complain about loft jacking are never seen talking about launch angle, peak height and angle of descent.

Who cares what loft anything is so long as it hits gameable shots for you and you alone. Hell, I'd love to game a driving iron, but it just doesn't produce gameable shots on the course for me so I found a hybrid that allowed me too hit the shots and the yardages that I needed.

It's crazy that people get hung up on what number is on the bottom of their club rather than the numbers in the boxes on their scorecard.

But like you said, it's perfectly okay to game clubs that might not be the best performing clubs so long as the golfer is self aware enough to admit he or she is leaving something on the table. But it's not okay for the same player to criticize/complain about what others choose to play.

I saw this video today and almost started a thread on it, but this is the perfect thread for it.

Stronger lofts doesn't mean lower flight or less spin. Additional ball speed, which is a result of a higher smash factor from the lower lofts, generates more spin and thus a higher ball flight, a steeper angle of descent and more carry distance.

Club design isn't black and white. There are diminishing returns with lofts, spin, launch etc. and different players with different swing speeds and angles of attack will produce different results!

https://youtu.be/vJn3XQDTaWM

Amen Chisag! I'm rocking the Cleveland Launcher HB irons and playing the best golf of my life and I'm guessing a lot of other people would to. But like I said in the Launcher review thread, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Great thread chisag, I always enjoy reading what you have to say!

I wish I had found MGS just a few weeks before I did. Instead of just buying a sexy set of irons (which I hit fairly well the season I gamed them), I would've gone and been properly fit for something that found help improve my game. I can hold my one when it comes to ball striking with the irons, but only getting out a few times this summer has really shown how quickly you can lose your feel and it has hurt my score.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I saw this video today and almost started a thread on it, but this is the perfect thread for it.

Stronger lofts doesn't mean lower flight or less spin. Additional ball speed, which is a result of a higher smash factor from the lower lofts, generates more spin and thus a higher ball flight, a steeper angle of descent and more carry distance.

Club design isn't black and white. There are diminishing returns with lofts, spin, launch etc. and different players with different swing speeds and angles of attack will produce different results!

... Great stuff. I love those guys. 

@chisag - I always enjoy your articulate .. and interesting! .. posts. Thx!

I would, though, disagree with you on one point: IMO "modern irons" are not here to stay, but rather will continue to (incrementally) evolve in design and function, such that in say 50-odd years from now today's sets will look as nostalgic as one from the 60s does to us now....

(No, that is NOT a knock on vintage club aficionados!)

But I appreciate your main point about considering all the performance aspects that go into the engineering of a club.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Is that 2000 rounds a typo or do you golf 22hrs a day 365?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ha, good catch! But.... he does seem to play a LOT......... ;-)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I was going to ask the same; I'm not sure I've played 2000 in my lifetime...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I was going to ask the same; I'm not sure I've played 2000 in my lifetime...

That's why he's a + handicap. 😉

Edit: Great post. You make a lot of good, well reasoned points. Thank you.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... Complaining about modern iron lofts is an exercise in futility. All of us that played traditional lofts for years have had to adjust to new irons and their much stronger lofts. It is what it is and trying to fight it is like wishing your iPhone still had a rotary dial. But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Well, let's get it out of the way right now that I've got a flip phone because I thought that my smart phone truly sucked and i tossed it in a drawer, never to look at it again. As for the actual subject....

....the moderns irons are a disgrace, chisag.  They really are.

Forget the stampings on the sole, not that I ever will.

We now have lofts on shafts that aren't the right length for them.  Stamping a 4 onto a club that should be a 2 also puts too short a shaft on that 20º club. 

It's the principle that makes "1-length"  such a bad idea.

You can't generate the speed to elevate it to the top of its intended trajectory.

You have a half dozen clubs in your bag, multiple wedges, with shafts less than a yard long. 

The wedges are usually 35½" or less, and you've got as many as five of them in addition to your putter.

So now you're not just changing cosmetic stampings. You're changing the overall length of your set.

If  it doesn't bother you, congrats, but it bothered the hell out of me.  If the clubmakers won't at least let you choose the stamping on your clubs, don't go making excuses for them,  Find somebody that will.

And that's just stampings.

Why do the modern clubs look like they're made by Fisher Price?

Unnecessary texture variations. Ugly colors and graphics.  Stupid names.

Why are the graphite shafts so stupidly painted? I liked black.

I played the game for fun.  If the equipment pissed me off, I wasn't having fun.

If I were able to still play, a big part of my fun would be beating the system and putting together a set that didn't embarrass me more than my limited talent does.

https://youtu.be/vJn3XQDTaWM

Not following how loft has anything at all to do with smash factor when it's an equation of swing speed and ball speed

Hmmm, interesting topic.

If I could afford a new set it irons, I'm pretty sure I would go with a mixed set. Like the mizuno mixed set.

Hot irons 4 and 5

Forged 6,7,8

Tour 9, pa, gw

I'm more worried about excessive gapping issues once I get to my wedges. Like I don't want a ow to go 150, then a gap to go 115.

But I suppose you could gap taller in the long irons, and then experiment on your way down?

But it would be nice to hit a 4 iron 210...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Not following how loft has anything at all to do with smash factor when it's an equation of swing speed and ball speed

More face the ball can contact the more energy that can be transferred to it from the swing. Lower loft in theory would allow more contact with the ball. That's why a driver has a higher smash factor than say a 3w.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Another great post, Chi.

In reading this forum and participating in the Cobra Connect Challenge, I've come to the conclusion that golfers lie somewhere towards one end or the other on a continuum:

I care about the experience of shooting a low score I care about the experience of hitting a great shot

And honestly, who's to say that either side is right or wrong? But if you're bagging MP33s and complaining about your scores, perhaps you don't play the right clubs for your archetype.

I can safely say that all I care about is shooting a score, and with the F8s, I finally have a set of irons that are designed to help me do that.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Well, let's get it out of the way right now that I've got a flip phone because I thought that my smart phone truly sucked and i tossed it in a drawer, never to look at it again. As for the actual subject....

....the moderns irons are a disgrace, chisag. They really are.

Forget the stampings on the sole, not that I ever will.

We now have lofts on shafts that aren't the right length for them. Stamping a 4 onto a club that should be a 2 also puts too short a shaft on that 20º club.

It's the principle that makes "1-length" such a bad idea.

You can't generate the speed to elevate it to the top of its intended trajectory.

You have a half dozen clubs in your bag, multiple wedges, with shafts less than a yard long.

The wedges are usually 35½" or less, and you've got as many as five of them in addition to your putter.

So now you're not just changing cosmetic stampings. You're changing the overall length of your set.

If it doesn't bother you, congrats, but it bothered the hell out of me. If the clubmakers won't at least let you choose the stamping on your clubs, don't go making excuses for them, Find somebody that will.

And that's just stampings.

Why do the modern clubs look like they're made by Fisher Price?

Unnecessary texture variations. Ugly colors and graphics. Stupid names.

Why are the graphite shafts so stupidly painted? I liked black.

I played the game for fun. If the equipment pissed me off, I wasn't having fun.

If I were able to still play, a big part of my fun would be beating the system and putting together a set that didn't embarrass me more than my limited talent does.

Saw this post coming from a mile away.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ran right into it! :D

Saw this post coming from a mile away. 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I kind of always chuckle at this subject especially when standing on a par 3 with a group of dudes having a ‘you know what” measuring contest. “Man I can't believe I blasted a 7 iron over the green it must have gone 185 yards”. I wish all manufactures would just put the degrees on the club rather than a number. A 7 iron is no longer 34 or 35 degrees. It can now be anywhere from 28 to 36 degrees. This is very frustrating when I'm trying to gain a competitive advantage by asking, “what did you hit?” Heck I don't have time to google their irons when they say 7 iron which if you own M4s the loft is the same as my 5 iron. Help a brother out Taylormade! I just lost the last hole that's why I'm hitting last any dang way.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I wish all manufactures would just put the degrees on the club rather than a number. A 7 iron is no longer 34 or 35 degrees. It can now be anywhere from 28 to 36 degrees.

Strongly agree.  My first seven irons were 40º, by the way,

But I love this discussion because in the background, I can hear you guys saying,

"Somebody give the old man a biscotto or something!"

But if would have to be somebody who knows the singular of biscotti, I suppose.

I run into it with cannoli all the time!

You know,

the things that you take with you when you leave the gun in the car.

OK, time for my meds.

I kind of always chuckle at this subject especially when standing on a par 3 with a group of dudes having a ‘you know what” measuring contest. “Man I can't believe I blasted a 7 iron over the green it must have gone 185 yards”. I wish all manufactures would just put the degrees on the club rather than a number. A 7 iron is no longer 34 or 35 degrees. It can now be anywhere from 28 to 36 degrees. This is very frustrating when I'm trying to gain a competitive advantage by asking, “what did you hit?” Heck I don't have time to google their irons when they say 7 iron which if you own M4s the loft is the same as my 5 iron. Help a brother out Taylormade! I just lost the last hole that's why I'm hitting last any dang way.

Ben hogan true it and not many liked it. We should go back to names do it doesn't matter.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The thing I always chuckle at is “traditional lofts”, whodefibrs egat traditional is and would those be considered game improvement when compared to the lofts used to the previous era of clubs? Not to mention those who prefer traditional irons have no problem with using new drivers and woods and usually a hybrid

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

The thing I always chuckle at is “traditional lofts”, whodefibrs egat traditional is and would those be considered game improvement when compared to the lofts used to the previous era of clubs? Not to mention those who prefer traditional irons have no problem with using new drivers and woods and usually a hybrid

Yup. Old Tom Morris would be shaking his fist in disgust at the game improvement irons guys like Arnold Palmer, Seve and even Ben Hogan played

I did not know why these discussions must degenerate all the time into a lament about what's a 7 iron and what's an 8.

Who cares!

This is an important thread for a variety of reasons not the least of which is one I raised that rankled feathers earlier this summer. The survey of fitters that said 2/3 of the golfers whom they fit needed more help with their irons.

Clearly OEMs have figured that out just as they figured out before we did that most of us need more loft and a weaker flex in our drivers - they changed the way the figured loft so they could still stamp 9.5 on a 10.5 and lost the S flex standard.

Now they have these really cool looking Players Distance Iron category with lots a very good technology built in. They are superior to their predecessors by any measure, easier to hit, more consistent, launch higher, more forgiving. They give golfers what they need, a good looking, more forgiving option - without them knowing it.

But it gets better, if you don't like the number markings on modern irons there are companies that make them without the them. There are single length irons, retro lofted irons, 7 iron sets, 6 iron sets, blended sets or blend your own.

What's not to like?

My one bone to pick with the players distance category is the lack of spin - I'm sure that will be tackled with the next iteration of them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yup. Old Tom Morris would be shaking his fist in disgust at the game improvement irons guys like Arnold Palmer, Seve and even Ben Hogan played

Wonder if that rumble in the sky I heard this morning was him rolling over 🤣

I did not know why these discussions must degenerate all the time into a lament about what's a 7 iron and what's an 8.

Who cares!

... (lots of good stuff snipped for brevity) ...

Yea, Brother!

I treated myself to a new (well, "Like New" used) set of irons earlier this season. I found that what was marked as .. let's call it: "7i" .. from my new set goes further than the correspondingly marked iron in the old set.

And found similar results comparing the other matching marks between the sets.

Did this bother me, or throw me off my game or even .. egads .. piss me off?

Heck no.

I just spent time at the range adjusting myself to learn if I want to hit the ball N number of yards I now take the iron with the angle bracket glyph on it; to hit the ball Y number of yards use the iron with the squiggle-wiggle mark; etc.

Don't care how the lofts compare per marking.

Do care that - along with lessons and practice - I'm hitting my new irons higher and straighter .. and longer .. and doing it more frequently vs the old set.

So I'm happy!!

As I've learned from lots of great posts in this forum, and from first-hand experience - use what works best for _you_ ...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

... LOLL, yupp addedd onee extraa byy mistakee. 

@chisag - I always enjoy your articulate .. and interesting! .. posts. Thx!

I would, though, disagree with you on one point: IMO "modern irons" are not here to stay, but rather will continue to (incrementally) evolve in design and function, such that in say 50-odd years from now today's sets will look as nostalgic as one from the 60s does to us now....

(No, that is NOT a knock on vintage club aficionados!)

... Then they will be modern irons.  :)

Archived