TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rickie or Bryson

Wedgie

You're in charge of Cobra Golf and you can only resign one, Rickie Fowler or Bryson DeChambeau. Which one do you resign and why?

I'm gonna say Bryson. I know everyone likes Rickie but Bryson can be a game changer in regards to single length irons and the dude is on fire. I think he has already more wins than Fowler and history says he could reach the same level as Tiger or Phil based on winning the NCAA and US amateur.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

From a PR and marketing standpoint I would go with Rickie. He is a great endorser and is great In front of the camera. Everyone loves him especially the younger fans. He has a “star” personality and is a solid player. Bryson is a wonderful player and has a great story with the whole mad scientist thing, he can change the game. He is gearing better in front of the camera. His last few interviews have been better after his last 2 wins. I think he can get there someday, Rickie is just better in the spotlight now. A heck of a duo for Cobra though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bryson is on fire. Rickie, as much as I like him, hasn't lived up to the hype that was built up. Bryson could be incredible long term... Especially with the 1 length option.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

From a PR and marketing standpoint I would go with Rickie. He is a great endorser and is great In front of the camera. Everyone loves him especially the younger fans. He has a “star” personality and is a solid player. Bryson is a wonderful player and has a great story with the whole mad scientist thing, he can change the game. He is gearing better in front of the camera. His last few interviews have been better after his last 2 wins. I think he can get there someday, Rickie is just better in the spotlight now. A heck of a duo for Cobra though.

Agreed, whoever the hell made the decision to sign those 2 struck gold.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Neither move the needle a lot in equipment sales but Rickie definitely moves it in clothing. Bryson is the “nerd” and Rickie “the cool kid.” I'm going all in on Rickie.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rickie. He's not petulant, and doesn't show all of the negative emotion Bryson does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Obviously, the strength of Bryson in this debate is that he singlehandedly markets a segment of equipment that, of the major OEMs, Cobra alone sells. If Bryson were to gain the cache of Rickie or Jordan, the potential payoff for Cobra is enormous.

But marketability is such an elusive thing to define. Whatever it is, Rickie has it in buckets.

Take two cliches. The first, a bit coarse: men want to be him, women want to be with him. It is difficult to imagine Bryson stepping into this role. Rickie owns it.

Or, the other cliche: a guy you'd want your daughter to bring home. Bryson likely annoys too many to qualify here. A guy like Spieth owns this category.

So the potential for Bryson remains enormous. But it's difficult to market him. I *like* him, and even I have to roll my eyes when he does Microsoft ads.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Gotta go with Rickie. He seems like a “safe” choice seems he seems overall well rounded. From a marketing standpoint he is exactly what any brand could ask for. Saw a lot of previous posts mention his appeal to the younger demographic - this is marketing gold. If you can get followers started younger the they have a greater chance sticking with the brand for years. You see this with Under Armour with Spieth. Outside of golf, you saw this with with Stephen Curry and UA as well.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Great question.

I think I'd go Rickie as most others have said. There's also legitimate upside there in terms of future wins. Heck, he could win 2 next year and I wouldn't be surprised...possibly just a matter of luck and/or finding that one last missing piece.

Bryson has proved a lot this year, but his career is relatively short and there have been others who have risen and fallen quickly. That said, I think Bryson will be playing good golf for a while.

Luckily Cobra can probably keep both.

This is about marketing more than play so it's Rickie hands down. As to which will ultimately be the better player that's a different matter.

Likewise there is no comparison between Tiger and Phil in any category. Huge chasm between those two. And yet it's unfair to say a player will reach Phil's level. Thats a career away from Bryson and half a career away from Fowler. (And Fowler is about where Phil was when he was at this point in his career). I wish we would remember that three months or a great season doesn't a career make. It takes time and players mature in different stages. Three years ago Matsuyama was the hot guy. Couldn't miss, sure to win a major soon and when he did a bucket full. He still may but then again until he dies he may never.

For now a smart marketing person could have lots of fun with Rickie/Bryson stuff.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bryson is clearly playing better right now.

But Rickie is more likeable.

I would go for Rickie.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

No one likes the smartest kid in the class, but maybe someone could have fun with the whole "I'm a mac and I'm a PC" kind of theme between Fowler and Bryson. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

It's been a couple of years since I've been to a tour event, but I'm guessing if I went now, I'd see hundreds of kids dressed up like Rickie, and zero like Bryson.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It's been a couple of years since I've been to a tour event, but I'm guessing if I went now, I'd see hundreds of kids dressed up like Rickie, and zero like Bryson.

Don't need to go to see it. Just watch him on tv and they show the throngs of people following him (not tiger level but pretty close) and you will see all age groups dressed like him or in some form of puma gear. Imo he's done as much for puma golf as tiger/Rory did for Nike golf apparel. Outside of a hat which is almost Payne Stewart like you can find Bryson's colors/style in most brands. The bold, bright colors are Rickie

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Cobra has definitely hit a home run with these 2 being the faces of the brand

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Were they forced into this hypothetical choice, they would no doubt choose Rickie.  He is a marketing gold mine. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived