Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DeChambeau Tour Irons

fixyurdivot

So who among the forum is starting to think about being first in line for a brand spanking new set of DeChambeau Tour Irons?  Do you think the all same length shafts will revolutionize iron designs much like the Banjo Minnow did for bass lures?  Many thought this approach was flawed but, hmmm, maybe not.  Even Rory McIlroy spent a little time with them on the range.  Others probably want too as well, but haven't yet quite saved up the nerve.

Just think, only one posture and swing weight to master.  Can you imagine what the folks at Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, etc. are thinking now.  The one problem I see is that golf bags will need to be re-designed  :lol:

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

So who among the forum is starting to think about being first in line for a brand spanking new set of DeChambeau Tour Irons?  Do you think the all same length shafts will revolutionize iron designs much like the Banjo Minnow did for bass lures?  Many thought this approach was flawed but, hmmm, maybe not.  Even Rory McIlroy spent a little time with them on the range.  Others probably want too as well, but haven't yet quite saved up the nerve.

Just think, only one posture and swing weight to master.  Can you imagine what the folks at Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, etc. are thinking now.  The one problem I see is that golf bags will need to be re-designed  :lol:

DeChambeau's set is likely very different from any retail set. 

Also why would bags need to be re-designed????

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I played the F8 One Lengths up until my Launcher HB testing. I really liked them, handicap dipped about a stroke with them. I loved 7-lob wedge and the 3 and 4 hybrids but struggled with the 5 and 6 irons. I really think the issue was lack of swing speed for the 5 and 6. Other thing I saw was when the swing goes it goes for every club. I also wasn't a big fan of Cobras execution in that they had different offsets and lie angles and that got in my head a little. Also meant I had to move the ball around in my stance a bit for different clubs. Full swing wedges were darts but I sacrificed short chips for that.

Now the F8 are different then the Tour model but that was my experience with single length. I made the mistake of hitting an Edel single length iron and it blew the Cobras away. No need for a different bag either.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I am definitely interested in the one length iron sets I mean who wouldn't be with the success Bryson is having but he has been playing with them since age 11

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I have been interested in Single length but more so as Long Iron replacements for deadly accuracy. Unfortunately to this point the distance and gapping has been poor with those clubs.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I think one of the strengths of the one-length concept is that it is applicable to both the 1-plane swing like Dechambeau, and a 2-plane swing that everyone else has. 

You could argue that not altering your swing plane by changing the length of the club is good for any kind of swing. For that reason alone it would be interesting to try.

Based on what I have read, swing weight and launch are pretty critical to have good gapping across the irons. I don't know if a stock, off the rack set would be optimal.

I still think I don't want a finesse 60* wedge the same length as my 7 iron, but BAD makes me think otherwise 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Before anyone does MGS did a test on one length irons. There is a certain player type who will benefit from them - I just don't recall which type as it wasn't me.

If you're thinking of doing it because of Bryson save it - you're not him, not even close - but if you are that type or better if your teaching pro thinks you're that type - go for it!

IMO the far bigger potential to DeChambeau's success is that it frees lots of people to think outside of the box, work with their fitter, teacher or tool bench at home to come up with a set that works best for their swing.

The big story here is you don't not have to game what works for your favorite touring pro - it's cool to game what works for you! Maybe he will want to try it on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd be curious to understand the technological principles of "single length."

If all the clubs are, just as a guess, 37 ½",

how do you get the swing speed to hit the stronger lofted ones far enough?

How don't you hit the weaker lofted ones a mile high?

There's obviously a technically valid way of doing this with weighting or whatever,

or else,

is an entirely new playing technique required?

Here's a source of my concern.

In the 1970s, there was a very popular utility wood called the Stan Thompson Ginty. 

It was 42" long, had a loft between 28 and 29º, and had an extreme keel sole. 

If you could find room in your bag for one, it was a great weapon

because you could go over a good size tree from relatively close to it.

It was the lob wedge of fairway woods.

But if you wanted a normal looking fairway wood trajectory, forget about it.

There must be quite a science to matching lengths and lofts that traditionally didn't go together, but I've never seen it really explained.

There's obviously a technically valid way of doing this with weighting or whatever,

or else,

In the 1970s, there was a very popular utility wood called the Stan Thompson Ginty.

There must be quite a science to matching lengths and lofts that traditionally didn't go together, but I've never seen it really explained.

In a nutshell they use hollow body heads for long irons. Cavity back for mid irons and blades for wedges. They move the CG around and use flighted shafts to help with gapping. I found gapping excellent up until the 5 and 6 which comes down to my lack of swing speed. Maybe graphite would have been a better fit for me, I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Not even remotely. It's not something that I thought about before and him having a good season doesn't influence it. Just like when Rickie finished top 5 in all the majors, won't the players I wasn't out trying to find a flat swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will admit that the Single length idea has intrigued me recently but not because of BD.

He is a supremly talent golfer, I am .... not.

I think the single plane swing appeals to me more than the One length irons. The single plane seems to make much more sense than having to fight with two different planes. I like the shaft running up the arm with a single turn and almost no wrist rotation. It seems to be a much more efficient, repeatable method. In MY mind the single lengnth clubs are just a tool needed for that swing to work not a radically different approach to golf.

I wouldn't use the single length with a two plane swing, with a two plane swing, variable lengths seem to fit the requirements of a 2 plane swing.

But for me I think it is too much of a change to go the single plane route, my swing is firmly cemented as a two plane swing. I think the science behind the single plane is intriguing though.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

So who among the forum is starting to think about being first in line for a brand spanking new set of DeChambeau Tour Irons? Do you think the all same length shafts will revolutionize iron designs much like the Banjo Minnow did for bass lures? Many thought this approach was flawed but, hmmm, maybe not. Even Rory McIlroy spent a little time with them on the range. Others probably want too as well, but haven't yet quite saved up the nerve.

Just think, only one posture and swing weight to master. Can you imagine what the folks at Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, etc. are thinking now. The one problem I see is that golf bags will need to be re-designed :lol:.

The Banjo Minnow, that is a blast from the past. Don't forget the equally impressive Helicopter Lure, a lunker every cast....lol.

I think it will bring interest from golfers to try the single length irons. There are just so many variables involved in making the single length work. I think the single swing plane and the swing weights are vital along with loft adjustments for gapping. I have tried them and was not a good fit for me. What works for one will not work for the masses. It is a very interesting concept and he Has clearly mastered it. It will be interesting to see if any other top tour pros make the change. Definitely not a one size fits all concept.

Sent from my iPhone

Buddy of mine bought some last year and I tried them out.

After maybe 20 shots I gave them back lol.

They aren't for everyone just like blades aren't for everyone.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

It's certainly something that interests me. Probably 3 or 4 seasons ago I thought about buying a mess of 7i shafts to try in my set, but I knew there would be gapping issues so that idea got tossed. Until DeChambeau emerged, I had no idea single length irons were available from any club makers. With the boom in popularity I will definitely be giving these a spin should the finances allow a new set in the next few years!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

or else,

Here is a thorough rundown, it's a good read.

http://sterlingirons...NRoCdeUQAvD_BwE

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

If manufacturers were making one-length sets for juniors, I'd be sorely tempted to try them out for my youngest. As for me, I think I'm a little too entrenched in progressive length clubs.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I could see new players, especially those learning the game as adults benefitting from the single length iron / single plane swing a lot. For those that have learned the game with a standard set, no matter how good or bad, I would think it would be a difficult transition, especially in the short game.

I have personally have never hit single length irons for comparison and am very intrigued to a least try to see the difference.

Do most use a two plane swing or try to use a single plane swing?

Driver: Callaway X-Hot2 Pro 9.5° Aldila ATX65 3.9 S

3 wood: Callaway X-Hot2 Pro Aldila ATX75 3.7 S 15°

3 hybrid: Callaway steelhead Ozik Program F15 65 S 19°

Irons: Callaway Apex Irons 4-GW Project X 6.0 rifle shaft +1 upright 

Wedges: Titlest SM5 S grind (bent to 55) and 60

Grips: CP2 Pro standard

Putter: Rife 2 bar 33 inch Winn supersize lite grip

or else,

That is a totally new science especially for us old schoolers. I have researched it some and even though I am intrigued by the equipment engineering end of it those clubs are not for me. Personally I would have to change my swing plane and that could be real complicated since I have more planes than Delta Airlines. Yeah like you said there would be a lot of playing around with bottom end weight and shaft kick to get them right for us with slower swing speeds on the long and mid irons. They do work for Bryson and that is a fact and it may work for others too like I said before it all has to do with SS and angle of attack. 

And yes those old Stan Thompson Gintys are fun to mess with. I have several. One of my favorite trick shot clubs is a Ginty 29* 7 wood. Mine has a regular steel shaft and I can hit some funky high 150 yard hooks with it. I take it out from time to time and mess with it.

If and I say a big If I was to go with single length clubs I would more than likely go with Wishon. Tom knows as much as anyone on the engineering side and could answer questions regarding set up etc. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm with BIG STU. If I were to try it, I would buy a set of Sterlings from Wishon from a respected fitter before "saving money" on an OTR from Cobra.

I'll wait until Tiger switches since I play whatever he does because we have the same game ;)

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Speaking of Sterlings--- I ended up with a set yesterday but LOL it ain't what you guys think. I ended up with a set of old school Slazenger Crown Sterling blades made in the UK in more than likely the 70s or 80s. Haha thought I would throw that tidbit in for kicks and giggles :rolleyes:

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am definitely interested in the one length iron sets I mean who wouldn't be with the success Bryson is having but he has been playing with them since age 11

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He is also a PROFESSIONAL. Nothing about you two is the same. If you can eat, workout, somehow regress in age to your mid 20's, and get a practice work ethic then you may have a .001% chance of having the same success he is having. Wake up people. You're the general public. Use what is made for you.

He is also a PROFESSIONAL. Nothing about you two is the same. If you can eat, workout, somehow regress in age to your mid 20's, and get a practice work ethic then you may have a .001% chance of having the same success he is having. Wake up people. You're the general public. Use what is made for you.

See the answer from Allan in the link below. It makes a good point about how it could improve an amateurs consistency though not to Bryson's level.

https://www.golf.com/the-knockdown/2018/09/07/who-will-replace-dj-as-number-one/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=si.golf&xid=socialflow_facebook_golf+

Driver: Callaway X-Hot2 Pro 9.5° Aldila ATX65 3.9 S

3 wood: Callaway X-Hot2 Pro Aldila ATX75 3.7 S 15°

3 hybrid: Callaway steelhead Ozik Program F15 65 S 19°

Irons: Callaway Apex Irons 4-GW Project X 6.0 rifle shaft +1 upright 

Wedges: Titlest SM5 S grind (bent to 55) and 60

Grips: CP2 Pro standard

Putter: Rife 2 bar 33 inch Winn supersize lite grip

• 5 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, BIG STU said:

Speaking of Sterlings--- I ended up with a set yesterday but LOL it ain't what you guys think. I ended up with a set of old school Slazenger Crown Sterling blades made in the UK in more than likely the 70s or 80s. Haha thought I would throw that tidbit in for kicks and giggles :rolleyes:

Lucky you Big Stu!!  Wanna sell the 2-iron?  That'd make my day. 

1 hour ago, MJAC said:

Lucky you Big Stu!!  Wanna sell the 2-iron?  That'd make my day. 

I do not think that set has a 2 iron. I will have to dig them back out from the back of the shop--- I do know they have a stiff Apollo shaft in them which is a little rough on my back at this time

G

On 9/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, Goinlow6565 said:

You also need a very upright swing and arm extension back and through the ball. I have studied his swing along with the engineering on the clubs. For me impossible to get that upright at this stage of life. Now if someone has a natural upright swing they may work for them. The other part I agree with you there on the work ethic and natural talent. But yeah they may work for SOME average Joe golfers

G

Archived