TESTERS WANTED! ×

Im just in a (8 year) driver slump

Eseay32

If anyone would look through my posts it's no secret I struggle with the driver. It's what keeps me from being (back to) a pretty good player. Played in college, then didn't play much. Cap is around a 4hdcp now but the driver just gives me fits. This is probably the 4-5 driver I've struggled with and I'm totally certain it's not a club issue.

Range session, pre round range work, i pound the driver. Straight, at my target, can lay a blanket over them. First tee ball until the last I'm all over the place. I'll occasionally hit 1-2 good per round but then it's erratic again.

This weekend was a great example...hit it great on the range and then....

1-OB

2-OB

3- dead straight, perfect

4-OB

6-lost Ball, basically a top into some crap

9-in play.

Shot 47...also odd...usually hammer the 2nd ball into play.

Go to the back and it's not as open for drivers but hit it twice, both bad but in play. Just hit 3i,4i or 3 wood off the tee and shot 37...

I'm too good of a golfer to struggle this bad with any club. It's infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Sounds like a mental thing to me. Look at Smiley, he stripes it on the range then can't hit to save his life once he starts on the course. Maybe bench it for the rest of the season, then try it again next year.

CobraConnectChallenge3

It's a lot mental. Fear of hitting a bad shot I think. I also struggle occasionally off the tee box when I go to play safe. Like punch a 4iron 200 yards down the fairway and end up blocking it

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I'm always ready to chime in on this topic... I had the same troubles for a long time and could not figure it out. I went through many drivers of all shapes, sizes and lengths but couldn't make it work. I always hit my 3 wood phenomenal though. I stopped using a driver for probably 6 months. I didn't event take it with me to the course. I got around just fine distance wise on my home course but I knew I was missing out on a couple strokes possibly from the lack of extra distance I could get from a driver. I was interested in a mini driver but they were still pretty expensive on the black market. I was looking for something on eBay and found an 11.5* tour edge exotics xcg6 3 wood. I think I got it for a steal at $25 or something. I reshafted it a couple times until I got that right (may still change it out yet again) and I love it. They may technically be less forgiving but not for me, I hit a 460cc driver so bad that this is a blessing for me. I am confident at the tee now. I've still always wanted to try a mini driver but never have. It will go just as far as a 460 driver too. I hit in the 275 range with it, my best drives with the big dog were right around there and possibly shorter. You can find some around on eBay every now and then. Worth a shot.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

It's a lot mental. Fear of hitting a bad shot I think. I also struggle occasionally off the tee box when I go to play safe. Like punch a 4iron 200 yards down the fairway and end up blocking it

Fear? Fear is for the other guys.

We're about the same handicap, and I have my issues just like you, so I can relate to that type of problem. Maybe it was Lee Trevino who coined the phrase, maybe not, but whomever said it really doesn't matter when they said, "golf is 90% mental, and the other 10% is between your ears." Your driver issue is no doubt mental, so we'll skip the obvious and just share some of my frustrations with you, if for no other reason then to commiserate with you.

I play the same course every Saturday, and know the course by heart. I know what club I need to pull on every tee before I get there, and yardage is mostly memorized even on approach shots. But it's certain shots on certain holes that just frustrate me to no end. My last round I was +2 on the front, and really gaming it. My game was just clicking. Then of course we make the turn, and Dr. Jekyl becomes Mr. Hyde. How it happens I have no idea, but if you figure it out let me know, because you'll make a fortune fixing everyone else's game at the same time.

Anyway, I was +6 through 16 holes, and then I get to the 17th tee. It's a 220 yard par 3 that plays 230, even though it looks flat. It's also an incredibly tight hole, as there are houses on the left - literally right next to the tee box, as well as trees lining the left side of the houses, and then a big tree on the right, which blocks any shot that decides to travel that direction about halfway to the hole. Only a straight shot will work on this hole. So I really have no choice in club selection, because I can't get a 19 degree hybrid there. So I pull 4 wood and here we go. Well, of course I push it far right, and it hits the tree. But I got lucky because the ricochet off of the tree put the ball in the middle of what little fairway there is for this hole. But I'm still looking at a half lob wedge chip to a front pin location that is about 5 paces on from the front edge. And if you go past the pin you have an impossible downhill putt. So naturally, because I absolutely don't want a downhill pull of any distance I leave the chip shot short of the green. Now I am punching a pitching wedge on and of course I run that by the hole 10 feet, now with that downhill putt I absolutely didn't want. So I barely touch the ball and it runs by the hole 5 feet. I'm at ESC for handicap so I just swipe at the 5 footer and of course it goes right in the hole.

Maybe I am still steamed from 17, because I pull my drive on 18 into the trees, which started me down the road to a double bogey on that hole as well. Basically come to 17 tee box +6, and walk off of 18 +10.

I've got to figure out a better way to play 17. I might be better off just hitting 7 iron off of that tee and laying up, but knowing my luck I'd hook the 7 iron out of bounds on the left or something. It's just a total round screwer that hole is.

I honestly don't have any good advice for you on your driver issues though. But you have to find some way of restoring your confidence with that club when you are standing on the first tee and getting ready to fire. Maybe like my mental block on 17 you need to stand over your driver on the tee and say to yourself something along the lines of, "I've got this shot. I am the master of this beast," or something. I probably need to stand on the 17th tee with the same mental approach. I walk off 16 green every time and say out loud to anyone I am playing with something like, "Here we go, now on to 17, which I absolutely positively hate with a passion. I just absolutely hate this hole with all of the hatred anyone can muster."

So I know I am probably defeated before I even hit a shot on 17. That sounds like what you are experiencing with your driver on the course.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My cap is higher but issues are the same, though lately I've been driving the ball well. I just got to the point where I had too many swing thoughts...and I just decided to get to the tee and just swing.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

If anyone would look through my posts it's no secret I struggle with the driver. It's what keeps me from being (back to) a pretty good player. Played in college, then didn't play much. Cap is around a 4hdcp now but the driver just gives me fits. This is probably the 4-5 driver I've struggled with and I'm totally certain it's not a club issue.

Range session, pre round range work, i pound the driver. Straight, at my target, can lay a blanket over them. First tee ball until the last I'm all over the place. I'll occasionally hit 1-2 good per round but then it's erratic again.

1-OB

2-OB

4-OB

9-in play.

Go to the back and it's not as open for drivers but hit it twice, both bad but in play. Just hit 3i,4i or 3 wood off the tee and shot 37...

Some counter-intuitive advice here, get your head OUT of the game. Distract yourself before each teeshot and you will improve. Just do NOT focus on the shot until you can get off the tee consistently. I had the same problem and I just grab the club, stand up, pick a target and hit. No thoughts, no What Ifs, just natural instinctual swings.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

We've all got demons out on the golf course, and we're all grasping at straws when they come out for a visit. The only thing I've found that works for me is to really focus hard on my preshot routine when things start going to sh!t, because that's the only thing I really have complete control over. I sometimes feel like I'm fit to be tied when I try to swing a golf club, but I have absolute control over whether I pick a target in advance and execute my preshot routine. If nothing else, it gives me something completely unimportant to obsess over, as opposed to where the trouble is or how uncomfortable I am over the ball.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sooooo my advice is going to be a little different. You may very well have some mental challenges but when fail to hit the ball straight that part is all physical. My same ole song is to take a lesson and I'm going to sing it again here then follow it up with a encore. Once you've taken that lesson or lessons hit the range so that you can build in some muscle memory and groove your swing.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Sooooo my advice is going to be a little different. You may very well have some mental challenges but when fail to hit the ball straight that part is all physical. My same ole song is to take a lesson and I'm going to sing it again here then follow it up with a encore. Once you've taken that lesson or lessons hit the range so that you can build in some muscle memory and groove your swing.

Perfect practice makes perfect performance.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I've known players who overcame driver problems and became formidable with the club.

I've known players willing to live with the problems rather than give in.

I've know players like myself who've found a nice, strong-lofted fairway wood that they really liked and made it their "designated driver," this to the ultimate benefit of their scorecards.

The only way to know which one of these you are is to simply notice what it is that you actually are doing.

If you were willing to change, you'd have probably done it by now!

I have the same problem. I've always been wild with the driver. I am pretty good with the rest of the bag, but like you said, hitting the ball OB on every other hole really adds up quickly.

But when I make a good pass I'd put money it would be out in front of anyone that plays around here (minus the college team). But that only happens once in a blue moon...

I love this game.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but Seve Ballesteros couldn't hit driver in his later career either.  It's what he did after he missed the driver that he became famous for.  That's why when someone gets up and down for par (or birdie) from the junk or the trees I say to them, "great save, Seve."

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Sounds like you got your juices running and you're overswinging on the tee box.  Fight or flight somes works against us on the tee.  So, do you have a pre-shot routine for the driver (and your irons, wedges, putter, etc ??)  That will take the thinking and level you out some.  Take a slower practice swing to get you calmed down might also help.  Also think positive thoughts.  Stripping it on the range ?  Think the same thoughts on the first tee box.  Unless you practice those punch shots off the tee, then you may not be successful doing it under stressful conditions.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I had a similar issue when I switched drivers to the epic. I had lost all confidence in the club and couldn't hit it well to save my life. Last season I thought it was because i didn't practice as much as I should but when it didn't get better after putting in work this summer I sorta gave up on the club.

One thing going away from the driver did help was learning how to hit other clubs off the tee. Now I can step up and hit 4w or 3i and know if i put a good swing on it I'll be in play and have shots into the green. And while I'm getting my confidence back with the driver I'm still not in love with it as my previous. I will say my coach did help a lot in fixing the issues with it though so maybe a lesson or a playing lesson is a good place to start.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If you can stripe the driver on the range but not on the course, then my likely guess is you are not staying in your posture.  You should have someone check it.  It's easy when you are changing clubs on every shot to get out of your posture during the swing.  Even just a little bit makes a big difference.

When you hit driver on the range, you are probably relaxed and hitting driver after driver because there are no consequences.  Do you "play holes" on the range?  Always pick a specific target; change up clubs for every shot.  You are a good player, and you will gain more confidence with the driver when you can change clubs and hit the driver without even thinking about it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds like you got your juices running and you're overswinging on the tee box. Fight or flight somes works against us on the tee. So, do you have a pre-shot routine for the driver (and your irons, wedges, putter, etc ??) That will take the thinking and level you out some. Take a slower practice swing to get you calmed down might also help. Also think positive thoughts. Stripping it on the range ? Think the same thoughts on the first tee box. Unless you practice those punch shots off the tee, then you may not be successful doing it under stressful conditions.

MDGolfHacker

It's not an over swinging issue and yes, I've pretty much used the same routine since my college golf days.

My safe go to shot is a punch 4iron off the tee. If there's any trouble that's what I'll hit. I'm comfortable with it. I'm also long enough and comfortable enough with all my irons that I'm good with a couple 200-220 shots into a hole so 4i, 4i is fine with me. The block 4i that occasionally comes out is still safe, just frustrating.

If you can stripe the driver on the range but not on the course, then my likely guess is you are not staying in your posture. You should have someone check it. It's easy when you are changing clubs on every shot to get out of your posture during the swing. Even just a little bit makes a big difference.

When you hit driver on the range, you are probably relaxed and hitting driver after driver because there are no consequences. Do you "play holes" on the range? Always pick a specific target; change up clubs for every shot. You are a good player, and you will gain more confidence with the driver when you can change clubs and hit the driver without even thinking about it.

I do a lot of different things on the range, play holes, move the target around, narrow the window that I'm happy with as a “successful” shot. Walk away from the spot after shot and go back through my routine and usually change where I peg the tee so that nothing is the same shot twice.

It's just a course issue

Never went through this but had a good friend that did. One thing that worked well for him was essentially going out to play his club with a shag bag and hit like 10 tee balls per hole with a driver. He essentially was simulating the range in that if he hit a bad ball then he just grabbed another one. What ended up happening was he got better through practice on the course and eventually only hit a second ball if the first was unplayable. Over a summer he got to where he could drive it in play 90% of the time and got over the driver issues. I had a few holes at my club that gave me fits and I essentially repeated this process until I got comfortable with the lines I needed off the tee. Number 13 at my club calls for a low cut into the speed slot which is not a shot I have on demand once a round, but I do now after hitting the tee shot about 90 times over a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Put all your change from your left pocket in your right, turn your hat around , put this tee behind your left ear. Sounds like you got a thinking problem. It's all in your head. Rememeber the movie major league 2 where the catcher couldn't throw to second base, so he started reciting the stories from a certain magazine, then bam he could throw to second. Stop thinking about it and just hit it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Never went through this but had a good friend that did. One thing that worked well for him was essentially going out to play his club with a shag bag and hit like 10 tee balls per hole with a driver. He essentially was simulating the range in that if he hit a bad ball then he just grabbed another one. What ended up happening was he got better through practice on the course and eventually only hit a second ball if the first was unplayable. Over a summer he got to where he could drive it in play 90% of the time and got over the driver issues. I had a few holes at my club that gave me fits and I essentially repeated this process until I got comfortable with the lines I needed off the tee. Number 13 at my club calls for a low cut into the speed slot which is not a shot I have on demand once a round, but I do now after hitting the tee shot about 90 times over a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is basically the routine described in the book The Talent Code.  No matter what a person is practicing, be it golf, soccer, or music, a mistake is immediately followed by repetition to get it right.  It's an interesting read.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We've all been a slump of some sort. And we all will be again. A slump can be a driver, irons, putting, chipping, etc. You name it. Usually not a whole game; although it effects the whole game IMO. I can't imagine a Driver slump for 8 years! Man, that's a long long time. My guess is you have a mental block of some kind. Obviously you have a pretty good game to maintain a 4 hcp without a driver. Most people I play with would suffer. Including me! I think I'd say... why fight it or worry about it? Screw the driver. Just keep hitting a 4i and enjoy it. There's no rule that you must bag and play a driver.

Best of luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

We've all been a slump of some sort. And we all will be again. A slump can be a driver, irons, putting, chipping, etc. You name it. Usually not a whole game; although it effects the whole game IMO. I can't imagine a Driver slump for 8 years! Man, that's a long long time. My guess is you have a mental block of some kind. Obviously you have a pretty good game to maintain a 4 hcp without a driver. Most people I play with would suffer. Including me! I think I'd say... why fight it or worry about it? Screw the driver. Just keep hitting a 4i and enjoy it. There's no rule that you must bag and play a driver.

Best of luck.

He is 100% right. Ariya Jutanagarn doesn't carry a driver and is number one in the world. If the 4 iron works, the 4 iron works. No reason to mess with something that gets the ball in the hole.

My golf partner and I were playing last year and joined a couple that were golfing and I just BOMBED one down the fairway. The couple both said that was a great ball.

I hadn't hit one straight since!!!! With driver,I can hit every other club in my bag.

Two weeks ago, I tried something new and have gotten them straight again. Trying to get back my distance.

It's demoralizing to be 60 yards further when you're hitting 3W and your playing partner is hitting bombs

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

1-OB

2-OB

4-OB

9-in play.

I'm in the same boat. From HS, through college, and for a number of years when I hit the workforce, I was a bomber, and I hit the drives where I wanted. I remember being on vacation with my parents on Hilton Head and driving a 340+ yard par 4. I used to be invited to play in scrambles just for my long drives. Now? No idea. All mental on my part.

My coach is actually trying to help my mental game so I can overcome my “yips”, essentially, with the driver. Like he says, you don't HAVE to hit one straight on the range. There's no penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Do you have a safety shot with your driver? What I mean is a swing that you know you can duplicate at will. Mine is a hold on stinger fade w my driver. When I need to get the ball in play I will go to this shot. Most of the time you will know when you need to go to your safety shot. Holes that just don't fit your eye, pressure holes, and when the hole fits the shape of your safety shot.

Go to the range and try different shots with your driver. Find out what type of shot you can duplicate 10 to 20 times in a row.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Do you have a safety shot with your driver? What I mean is a swing that you know you can duplicate at will. Mine is a hold on stinger fade w my driver. When I need to get the ball in play I will go to this shot. Most of the time you will know when you need to go to your safety shot. Holes that just don't fit your eye, pressure holes, and when the hole fits the shape of your safety shot.

Go to the range and try different shots with your driver. Find out what type of shot you can duplicate 10 to 20 times in a row.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I do not have a safety shot anymore. When I played college golf it was a cut. If I wasn't striking it well or needed something in play I would hit a cut. But that doesn't work these days either. On the range I can hit any shot you ask lol

My safety shot is leave the driver in the bag and hit 3i or 4i

I do not have a safety shot anymore. When I played college golf it was a cut. If I wasn't striking it well or needed something in play I would hit a cut. But that doesn't work these days either. On the range I can hit any shot you ask lol

My safety shot is leave the driver in the bag and hit 3i or 4i

Is it possible that when you get on the course, you start to overswing?

Archived