TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hecklers and Bad Fan Behavior at Tour events

Mr. 82

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/09/03/webb-simpson-paul-tesori-heckler/

So I was watching the tournament over the weekend, and this came up live on TV, and it really got me thinking about the state of fan behavior on tournaments that serve alcohol that are also on TV.  What's the thrill for these people in acting rudely towards tour players, who honestly can't and shouldn't say anything to these people, for fear of giving them the legitimacy they are seeking to act with such obnoxious and poor public behavior.

So I ask the question, what should tour players do, if anything?

Should the PGA Tour rethink their policing of such spectators of bad behavior?

Should ejecting fans for all levels of loud and obnoxious behavior become more common place?

Or is this just an isolated thing, and not common place at live tour events?

I'm just curious on your take on these types of things, because honestly, the last tournament I went to was the Masters in 2016, and it was a Monday practice round, and I don't remember even a single isolated incident of anyone acting badly or behaving obnoxiously.

And consider my last statement a little deeper.  If the Masters can police and control bad fan behavior, what is stopping the PGA Tour from doing the same?

Also, and I know it's probably been discussed here in other threads/topics, but isn't the PGA Tour stop in Phoenix just one big giant obnoxious drunk tank?  I mean, isn't this sort of sending the wrong message to spectators if you are essentially encouraging everyone to get drunk and rowdy for an entire week every year?

What say you?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It's getting worse. They need to do something, but I don't know what that “something” is.

As a TV spectator it is really annoying listening to the bumbling idiots screaming gibberish after every single shot, or making stupid stupid jestures like that wonderful guy last year playing with his nipples....

Sure I could mute it, but damnit I pay good money for that “entertainment” so I have an expectation. I don't like to pay for things I don't like.

I think it's too far gone to do anything, so unfortunately I think we are going to have to deal with it.

But... if I were a tour player, I'd stand there on the tee or fairway, or green until all of the idiots were removed. As much as I don't like PR, his interaction with the camera man in Europe... is what needs to happen.

I disagree.... we don't HAVE to deal with it... the PGA CHOOSES to let it slide. It could be fixed in a short time:

First offense is removal and a 5 year ban from all PGA events. Second offense is removal and lifetime ban. Do this a dozen times a year... or how ever many times it needs done, and the bulls*** will stop... or at least be minimized.

The only reason this is allowed to continue is money. Alcohol revenue is high.

Just out of curiosity, why does anyone care what other people do? If the PGA and the players are ok with the fan behavior, so am I.

I brought it up because apparently Webb Simpson cared enough to send over his caddie to have this one person ejected.

Rory has mentioned it on occasion, and so has Justin Thomas.  I'm sure if you asked the pros anonymously to discuss it each one of them would have a varying degree of opinions on what they really think about it.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I disagree.... we don't HAVE to deal with it... the PGA CHOOSES to let it slide. It could be fixed in a short time:

First offense is removal and a 5 year ban from all PGA events. Second offense is removal and lifetime ban. Do this a dozen times a year... or how ever many times it needs done, and the bulls*** will stop... or at least be minimized.

You nailed it Alcohol is a big source of revenue and the root of the problem. I really hate to say this but guys know me I am blunt and upfront. It ain't going to stop until some drunk fan from one of the events runs into and kills someone and the PGA Tour the course and the Vendor gets sued. I pray that never ever happens but frankly I think that is what it will take. I agree with principal on the removal and bans but I do not know they could enforce it. I know you do not see it at the Masters or too much on European events. You do not hear a lot of it either on Champions events or LPGA. I do not want to sound like a teetotaler there is nothing wrong with someone enjoying an adult beverage but do it in moderation and do not get stupid and obnoxious. This has been discussed numerous times on WRX and the reaction is mixed. Some say the players are professional athletes and get paid a lot of money which is true. But all in all they are human beings and have emotions too.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Agree, re: $$$ but would add that the ticket sale$ are also a major contributing factor; ie. the USGA and the PGA want your $$$.

Me, personally, I have absolutely no desire to pay for and attend a pro event exactly because of all the loud, rude, obnoxious behavior.

As far as the pros - I believe they should continue to request of tournament security that egregious violators be ejected.

And, IMHO, as far as "Oh we're free to do what we want here in America" - no. When what one person is doing negatively impacts others then it's not ok.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

You nailed it Alcohol is a big source of revenue and the root of the problem. I really hate to say this but guys know me I am blunt and upfront. It ain't going to stop until some drunk fan from one of the events runs into and kills someone and the PGA Tour the course and the Vendor gets sued. I pray that never ever happens but frankly I think that is what it will take. I agree with principal on the removal and bans but I do not know they could enforce it. I know you do not see it at the Masters or too much on European events. You do not hear a lot of it either on Champions events or LPGA. I do not want to sound like a teetotaler there is nothing wrong with someone enjoying an adult beverage but do it in moderation and do not get stupid and obnoxious. This has been discussed numerous times on WRX and the reaction is mixed. Some say the players are professional athletes and get paid a lot of money which is true. But all in all they are human beings and have emotions too.

Well said!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why does anyone care what other people do? If the PGA and the players are ok with the fan behavior, so am I.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I do not care what others do as long as it does not interfere with mine and others enjoyment. Rude Loud obnoxious behavior ruins other peoples fun at a tournament. Hey if one wants go go to a local beer joint get drunk and act stupid and obnoxious that is fine with me because I am not going in there. Now if they get drunk and stupid and get on a public road then it becomes my business because me my wife and friends and other citizens use those roads. I really do not want to get into a tirade on the last because I saw too many fatal DUI in my years as a volunteer fireman and running a towing company

Seems to me some of the players are starting to have problems with obnoxious rude behavior and have voiced their concerns to the tour. Like I said in a previous post I do not have a problem with someone drinking adult beverages. I still do myself on occasion 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just because someone is paid to do their job in public and you are paying to see them, it does not give you the “right” to say or do whatever you want to that person. Just like heckling at a comedian show is disturbing to the comedian and the audience, heckling at a sporting event impacts others.

Players do not have to tolerate that behavior and this season has shown more players or caddies standing up for themselves. The tour needs to stand up for the players quickly and put measures in place to eliminate that behavior.

I also hate this kind of fan behavior at stadium sports so it's not an argument of golfers being too sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Because golf fans are weird people. Grown adults who need to touch players as they walk by and get a high five. Sprinting to an errant drive so they can be front and center. Refusing to back away when players need an alley to shoot between because it interrupts their view. Cat calling golfers as they walk past the ropes, it's so weird.

I love a good old fashioned baba booey as much as anyone but the rest of the behavior is rubbish. Dilly Dilly'ing at the US Open was truly the pinnacle of ridiculousness.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

>>>

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

>>>

OH NO was it that bad???

G

Adjust it based on the situation. The waste management is a perfect example. Or with your friends while playing. You know your group and should know when and when not to. Ejection from a PGA tour event is absolutely acceptable. The PGA can be diplomatic about it and still bring in revenue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've covered this in some recent threads, but I agree that this issue keeps getting worse - much more so on the main tour than we see on the LPGA, Champions and Euro tours. Think about that for a minute.  What is different about the fan demographics between these tours?

Yes, the WM event (so appropriately titled) has simply become the poster child for bad golf fan behavior. But, much of that IMHO is what the sponsors now want since attendance and liquor sales have been increasing year over year.  I would love to see the data on consumption/fan at this event as compared to others.

I also believe this poor behavior is a reflection of the social media centric fan.  There is a level of hear me, see me narcissism that has come along with this technology.  The only way this changes is when the players as a whole start pressing the PGA management to take more serious action; which IMO means the entrance gate hitting them in the ass as they leave.

However, this approach is not in line with the PGA's primary objective - so my guess is it won't change and players need to start adding a new dimension to their practice sessions.

https://www.pgatour.com/advertise/audience-100215backup.html 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived