Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Hitting into the wind

Wedgie

Let's say there is a constant 20 MPH wind one day. Downwind for example purposes you are a club longer. Into the same wind are you a club shorter? Seems to me I always come up short going into the wind but am spot on downwind clubbing up or down accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Depends on the ball flight. I hit it high so 20 mph downwind would be a club and a half while into the wind would be two clubs. If I flight it down a bit I can generally get it to one club into a 20 mph wind. Also depends on what club you are hitting as well. Say I have 140 yards down wind I am hitting a 54* wedge. 140 into the wind would be a 9 iron if I am feeling confident but it more than likely would be an 8 iron. For reference it would be a stock PW with no wind. Not sure if this helps but more club into the wind is usually better than less club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Depends on the ball flight. I hit it high so 20 mph downwind would be a club and a half while into the wind would be two clubs. If I flight it down a bit I can generally get it to one club into a 20 mph wind. Also depends on what club you are hitting as well. Say I have 140 yards down wind I am hitting a 54* wedge. 140 into the wind would be a 9 iron if I am feeling confident but it more than likely would be an 8 iron. For reference it would be a stock PW with no wind. Not sure if this helps but more club into the wind is usually better than less club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a huge help. I always just assumed it would be the same into or with the wind. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Drag is proportional to the square of the velocity.  What that means is that hitting into the wind, you lose more distance than you gain going downwind.  In addition, the effect of backspin will make your ball "balloon" more going into the wind, and the lift will be decreased going downwind, giving a flatter trajectory.  I don't believe its an exact science,   but I often think of one club downwind, but two clubs into the wind.  This can allow me to swing a little easier to decrease backspin and minimize the balloon effect.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Hit easy into the wind and hard when it's behind you - Lee Trevino

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I normally don't give too much thought to the wind. Although this isn't a windy time of year in Texas many days play between a 5-15 variable wind of some degree. Many times in the spring for example the winds can be quite strong and persistent. 15-20+. I've played all my life in Texas and the wind of whatever speed is just something I think I've learned to subconsciously factor in. I just club up or down on feel and usually it's pretty close. Additionally, I tend to play a lower ball flight which helps. Not sure if that's something I learned early on due to wind. Perhaps. But in windy conditions a low ball flight is very helpful. One of my favorite shots is hitting a knock-down into the wind from about 150-125 or less. It's a thing of beauty when executed correctly.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I play in the wind a lot; most long holes play into or downwind the prevailing wind direction.  Yes, into a 20mph wind takes more club, probably 2 clubs for me.  However, many times when I play downwind, I don't get a lot of extra distance, maybe more roll.  I'm sure that higher swing speeds gain more, but I usually play the same club or maybe half club less going downwind.  Less ball speed means the ball gets knocked down; not the extra carry distance I expect.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20mph is about 15 added yards going downwind and 25 off going into the wind for me.

I try to flight it depending on the wind. If I am in between clubs, I will hit the longer one high or the shorter one lower.

I like playing in about 5mph of wind because it makes pay more attention to my club choices.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I normally don't give too much thought to the wind. Although this isn't a windy time of year in Texas many days play between a 5-15 variable wind of some degree. Many times in the spring for example the winds can be quite strong and persistent. 15-20+. I've played all my life in Texas and the wind of whatever speed is just something I think I've learned to subconsciously factor in. I just club up or down on feel and usually it's pretty close. Additionally, I tend to play a lower ball flight which helps. Not sure if that's something I learned early on due to wind. Perhaps. But in windy conditions a low ball flight is very helpful. One of my favorite shots is hitting a knock-down into the wind from about 150-125 or less. It's a thing of beauty when executed correctly.

All you Texas boys know how to play in the wind--- I had to really learn it when I moved to the coast of SC. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Drag is proportional to the square of the velocity.  What that means is that hitting into the wind, you lose more distance than you gain going downwind.  In addition, the effect of backspin will make your ball "balloon" more going into the wind, and the lift will be decreased going downwind, giving a flatter trajectory.  I don't believe its an exact science,   but I often think of one club downwind, but two clubs into the wind.  This can allow me to swing a little easier to decrease backspin and minimize the balloon effect.

One of the reasons I still hit that stinger off the tee with a 2 or 3 iron hit her low get her turning over and let her rock and roll into the wind

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I play twilight mostly so windy most nights. 20 mph uo is 2 clubs, 1 down. I dont even put much thought on up or down as I do wirh the crosswinds. Where do I want the ball to start.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

...but I often think of one club downwind, but two clubs into the wind.  This can allow me to swing a little easier to decrease backspin and minimize the balloon effect.

This. Especially with short irons. A hard swing with a short iron is a spin machine. You're asking for a balloon ball. If you can learn how to make a half swing with your short irons to take about 20-30 yards off of them, you'll be formidable in wind. The Corey Pavin quail-high short iron is a real crowd-pleaser.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

It's very simple - the wind will effect you twice as much into as with - if you are one club help it's a two club hurt.

Follow that rule until you start hitting it past hole high and you'll be fine.

20 mph would be at least that BTW.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Something Andrew rice talked about on instagram last year iirc. Into the wind if you think/know it's 10mph into you then add 15% to the distance and then pull that club for that distance. Using 20mph would then add 30%.

Martin Hall talked about the helping wind not being anywhere near the help that the wind into you hurts.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

One of the best shots I ever made was directly into a roaring and steady 20+ MPH wind. Par 3 #11 at Desert Canyon. It plays only at 152-yds and is handicapped at 17. The biggie here is that you hit from elevated tee boxes over a brush-filled ravine and that can be (is) intimidating as H***!

Anyhow, I'd usually play a 7 or maybe even a 6 iron shot from here, but with that wind I decided to use 3W. On windless days I can get hold of that 3W and hammer it down to 220 or so, so this was a LOT of club. I teed it up as low as it could go but not be "fully" on the ground and just laced it with a smooth, controlled swing (for once). Ball flight was super straight and low. The ball landed 2-3 yards from the green and rolled right up to within 3' of the hole.

That shot proved to me that I could conquer the wind when it was in my face and I have confidence that I can do it again...er mostly...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I never made an into-the-wind shot like that in my life, #9. 

I'd use my longest iron for every distance and try to guess how hard to hit it--worst technique in the history of dimple ball.  The next time that it works for me will be the first, and I'm on the sideline now..

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, I'd usually find something else to do in those conditions.

Especially after I was retired. 

But one time at Crystal Lake, the crew insisted on playing threw a monsoon. It was not only ludicrously windy but wet as well.   I carded a bowling score and then started shopping for new friends.

Hit easy into the wind and hard when it's behind you - Lee Trevino

This was always a belief of mine as well.  

Swinging easy into the wind, creates less backspin & thus less ballooning.  While swinging harder creates the opposite effect creating more height to ride the wind.  

Good stuff! 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived