Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Titleist TS-OMG

LankyGolf

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-titleist-ts2-ts3-drivers-2/

Oh man oh man, I am gobsmacked. These things look so good and I can't wait to hit one. Not crazy about the price tag, but such are the days we live in. 

Full disclosure, I am a Titleist loyalist for the most part, only deviating from time to time to change things up a bit or simply to fool around with something new.

That said, I think Titleist really stepped its game up with these. I think that is showing on Tour too, with a good handful of pros switching almost immediately.

Most noteworthy from this article, in my opinion, is that Titleist is making a clear and undoubtable display of being able and willing to change with the times. For a company that is hellbent on tradition - at least more so than other major companies - it is nice to know they are adapting with the changing nature of the game and its demands.

And yet, somehow, there is still a very traditional look/feel of these clubs aesthetically. Best of both worlds.

What does everyone else think now that these are starting to roll out to the public? Has anyone hit them yet? Been fitted? I'm curious to hear the in-person reviews (and I will be scouring the forums after this to see what may have been posted on this previously).

Best,

Kyle

Kyle
-----
"I'd rather be driving a Titleist."

WITB:
TM.pngTaylorMade M1 (2016) 9.5* -or- titleist.png Titleist 917 D3 8.5*
titleist.png Titleist 904f 15*
titleist.png Titleist 904f 19* -or- titleist.png Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron, bent to 18*
titleist.png Titleist 712 AP2 (4-9), +1/2", 1* up
BV.jpg Vokey SM6 46/50/54/58, all +1/2", 1* up
scotty.pngScotty Studio Select Laguna 1.5, 34"

Just read through it as well, It's nice to see Titliest trying something new, I've always seen them as the old man brand in Golf, meaning that they are very traditional and my perception as a newer player to the sport is that they are overpriced compared to similar performing brands. That being said this new direction looks promising, albeit late. 

Also based on some of the comments in that article, I smell a testing opportunity coming...Or it could just be wishful thinking. 

Last note: 550 is a lot for a driver, especially given the performance of sub 400 dollar drivers like the G400, there is a lot of tech there but honestly it looks like they are just now catching up to players like Cobra and Ping in the driver tech category and are charging an outrageous amount for it. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I have hit both of them and they are the real deal. Hit the TS3 with a Tensei Orange at 44" and it was easily 6-8 yards longer than my 917 D3 with HZRDUS Yellow.  The TS2 was a pleasant surprise in that it did not have the same results for me that the D2 line has had over the last few releases.  I got to hit the TS2 with the HZRDUS Smoke in an S flex and still got good numbers despite a shaft flex that was a bit light for me. Can't wait to give the new fairway metals a try as well.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I have hit both of them and they are the real deal. Hit the TS3 with a Tensei Orange at 44" and it was easily 6-8 yards longer than my 917 D3 with HZRDUS Yellow.  The TS2 was a pleasant surprise in that it did not have the same results for me that the D2 line has had over the last few releases.  I got to hit the TS2 with the HZRDUS Smoke in an S flex and still got good numbers despite a shaft flex that was a bit light for me. Can't wait to give the new fairway metals a try as well.

The Tensei orange - that's the counterbalanced one, yes?

I haven't hit a counterbalanced shaft. Another thing I need to search for in these forums.

What's your opinion of them? What does the counterbalance do?

Kyle
-----

WITB:
titleist.png Titleist 904f 19* -or- titleist.png Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron, bent to 18*

The Tensei orange - that's the counterbalanced one, yes?

I haven't hit a counterbalanced shaft. Another thing I need to search for in these forums.

What's your opinion of them? What does the counterbalance do?

Not sure about the Tensei Orange being counterbalanced as this was a driver from someone on staff with Titleist. I asked if I could see it and was told to go hit it so I did not pay much attention to the set up. My general understanding of a counterbalanced shaft is it allows for the overall build to be heavier while keeping the swing weight in the normal range. I think my HZRDUS yellow is considered a counter balanced shaft but could not tell you if it made any difference. I liked it because it felt a little smoother than the HZRDUS Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Not sure about the Tensei Orange being counterbalanced as this was a driver from someone on staff with Titleist. I asked if I could see it and was told to go hit it so I did not pay much attention to the set up. My general understanding of a counterbalanced shaft is it allows for the overall build to be heavier while keeping the swing weight in the normal range. I think my HZRDUS yellow is considered a counter balanced shaft but could not tell you if it made any difference. I liked it because it felt a little smoother than the HZRDUS Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same experience for me with the hzrdus yellow

Keep the shaft talk to the shaft threads, Men.  JK.  These look awesome.  I'm always willing to give a club a ride, if I get a chance.  I prefer hitting them outside rather than in bays though.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

It's nice to see Titliest trying something new, I've always seen them as the old man brand in Golf, meaning that they are very traditional and my perception as a newer player to the sport is that they are overpriced compared to similar performing brands.

My four Titleist PT steel woods were indeed expensive for the time.

They also stayed in play 25 years for me.

No question that I'm an old man, but i wasn't that old when I bought them.

Who am I kidding?  I was always old.

I wore fedoras and trench coats when i was twenty-five.

I think the article hit the nail on the head about why Titleist needed this driver.  Callaway made heads turn with Epic and Rogue, Taylormade made probably their best driver in a long time in the M4, and of course there's always Ping.  

When I went to get fit for my driver, Ping G LST, I honestly hit every driver out there before I selected my top 3 to take into my fitting.  When I hit the Titleist, it was getting destroyed in yards and the price tag didn't justify looking at an under-performer.  I ended up taking the Ping, Cobra, and Epic into the fitting.  It was really between Ping and Cobra, but I threw in Callaway just to be sure.

I've always loved what Titleist has done with their fairways and hybrids, but I've felt there drivers have been lacking for a while.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

From the 975D to the 983E, you couldn't get a Titleist driver out of my bag.  Then came the aluminum hoseled, high spinning heads.  The 983E was about as low spinning as anything out there, but it finally got beat by the TM R510 TP. 

IF Titleist is going to go back to being competitive on distance and are willing to put out a truly deep faced monster like the 983E was, I'll give them a shot.  I haven't seen the TS3 in person yet.  We'll see if it has a chance.  The TS2 looks like too many drivers today: flattened pancakes.

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

These are going to be game changing for Titleist I think. They've always been the most expensive and have perhaps the most loyal following But with somewhat stodgy appeal. Callaway and TM were taking them to task now that anyone can hit on a launch monitor, and it's telling that they've admitted they didn't stand a chance there. You've also got the fact that both Brooks and Francesco game the TM drivers without any locked in equipment contracts. But with a real competitor in the market place people will gladly pay up for the Titleist driver to match their irons/wedges/putter and now they should be able to justify it on the monitor. Sales up to the beginning of next season will be very telling.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

I love my 915 D2 but wasn't crazy about the 917 which is why I never upgraded. I've been a Titleist loyalist since I got into golf but like everyone else has said, they kinda lacked in the sexiness department from an aesthetic appeal. These new drivers have definitely changed that on looks and I'd love to try one out to see how it compares to my 915.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
I think points get taken away for originality.post-79681-153710125753.jpegpost-79681-153710126716.jpeg

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh wow. Yeah. That’s...peculiar.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Kyle
-----

WITB:

Whoa

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

And they thought no one would ever figure it out 😂

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 9/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Shankster said:

Could this be the ultimate driver?

Well, they are made by Titleist, so there's a good chance.

I kid...slightly. I'm a loyalist, but will admit, I haven't hit these yet, nor can I afford them.

I might find a fitting day somewhere just to give them a whirl.

Kyle
-----

WITB:

On 9/7/2018 at 4:05 PM, stage1350 said:

From the 975D to the 983E, you couldn't get a Titleist driver out of my bag.  Then came the aluminum hoseled, high spinning heads.  The 983E was about as low spinning as anything out there, but it finally got beat by the TM R510 TP. 

IF Titleist is going to go back to being competitive on distance and are willing to put out a truly deep faced monster like the 983E was, I'll give them a shot.  I haven't seen the TS3 in person yet.  We'll see if it has a chance.  The TS2 looks like too many drivers today: flattened pancakes.

I saw a good piece on this the other day...or was it a podcast...hmmm...either way...

Someone said Titleist wasn't competitive in distance because their stock shaft was .5-1 inch shorter than other manufacturers' stock length. Apparently, they were working on the impression people valued accuracy over distance (which most amateurs should), and when they went up against the longer drivers in tests, of course they weren't as long off the tee. But in the hands of the rank amateur, I'd say everyone could benefit from .5-1" less length on their driver...scores would be 5 shots lower I'd imagine.

In any case, I agree with your comment about the "2" models...they have been way to long from a top view (and way too spinny for me). They just don't look right. I have always preferred the traditional shape of the "3" models. I wish they'd reimagine the 905 and put some technology into that bad boy. Still have an old one that gets some action on the range from time to time.

Kyle
-----

WITB:

I love these bad boys!  I was fit for them last week & saw great gains on ball speed & distance.

These were my numbers with my current 917 D2 with GD Tour AD7 (which incidentally he said was the wrong shaft for me even though I could control it.  If I wanted distance I needed something else)

fitting_sheet.jpg

Then after a few swings with the TS2 & the HZRDUS Smoke shaft 

test_results.jpg

BAM!  +18 yards more carry ... +6 mph ball speed .... +13 yards more distance .... All with the SAME club head speed of 97 mph

So yeah ... these are legit!  I placed my order for the driver & 2 fairway woods to replace my current lineup.  Hope to have them in hand sometime next week.  Will report back with stats after my first round with them.  I can't wait!  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

7 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

I love these bad boys!  I was fit for them last week & saw great gains on ball speed & distance.

These were my numbers with my current 917 D2 with GD Tour AD7 (which incidentally he said was the wrong shaft for me even though I could control it.  If I wanted distance I needed something else)

fitting_sheet.jpg

Then after a few swings with the TS2 & the HZRDUS Smoke shaft 

test_results.jpg

BAM!  +18 yards more carry ... +6 mph ball speed .... +13 yards more distance .... All with the SAME club head speed of 97 mph

So yeah ... these are legit!  I placed my order for the driver & 2 fairway woods to replace my current lineup.  Hope to have them in hand sometime next week.  Will report back with stats after my first round with them.  I can't wait!  

Mind if I aske what loft was in your current head and the head they gave you?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Low spin was never a priority for me in a driver, nor was squeezing out every last yard of distance.

My priority was always to leave myself with a decent second shot.

I was always willing to eschew driver altogether when that seemed prudent.

(I had too much courage hitting at greens and not enough hitting at landing areas).

That's simply not the way golf is played anymore unless an errant drive will be stroke and distance.

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Mind if I aske what loft was in your current head and the head they gave you?

They are both 9.5* 

46 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

They are both 9.5* 

Thanks, I asked because with equal lofts, equal club speed but a bigger negative attack angle that is some jump in carry and overall distance. You must be jumping for joy. Nice one.

Think I need to try these out soon 😏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Thanks, I asked because with equal lofts, equal club speed but a bigger negative attack angle that is some jump in carry and overall distance. You must be jumping for joy. Nice one.
Think I need to try these out soon 
Yeah I know. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One of our members is a died in the wool PING guy. He had been hammering his G400 all summer.

Knowing he is a demo day junkie I asked him if he has tried the new Titleist yet.

He got this sh^% eating grin on his face and just said "oh yeaaaaaaah, oh yeaaaaaaah!!" And snickered some more.

He said he had to litteraly leave the demo day before he spent $500.

That's impressive coming from him. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived