LankyGolf

Titleist TS-OMG

On 9/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Shankster said:

Could this be the ultimate driver?

Well, they are made by Titleist, so there's a good chance.

I kid...slightly. I'm a loyalist, but will admit, I haven't hit these yet, nor can I afford them.

I might find a fitting day somewhere just to give them a whirl.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:05 PM, stage1350 said:

From the 975D to the 983E, you couldn't get a Titleist driver out of my bag.  Then came the aluminum hoseled, high spinning heads.  The 983E was about as low spinning as anything out there, but it finally got beat by the TM R510 TP. 

IF Titleist is going to go back to being competitive on distance and are willing to put out a truly deep faced monster like the 983E was, I'll give them a shot.  I haven't seen the TS3 in person yet.  We'll see if it has a chance.  The TS2 looks like too many drivers today: flattened pancakes.

I saw a good piece on this the other day...or was it a podcast...hmmm...either way...

Someone said Titleist wasn't competitive in distance because their stock shaft was .5-1 inch shorter than other manufacturers' stock length. Apparently, they were working on the impression people valued accuracy over distance (which most amateurs should), and when they went up against the longer drivers in tests, of course they weren't as long off the tee. But in the hands of the rank amateur, I'd say everyone could benefit from .5-1" less length on their driver...scores would be 5 shots lower I'd imagine.

In any case, I agree with your comment about the "2" models...they have been way to long from a top view (and way too spinny for me). They just don't look right. I have always preferred the traditional shape of the "3" models. I wish they'd reimagine the 905 and put some technology into that bad boy. Still have an old one that gets some action on the range from time to time.

I love these bad boys!  I was fit for them last week & saw great gains on ball speed & distance.

These were my numbers with my current 917 D2 with GD Tour AD7 (which incidentally he said was the wrong shaft for me even though I could control it.  If I wanted distance I needed something else)

fitting_sheet.jpg

Then after a few swings with the TS2 & the HZRDUS Smoke shaft 

test_results.jpg

BAM!  +18 yards more carry ... +6 mph ball speed .... +13 yards more distance .... All with the SAME club head speed of 97 mph

So yeah ... these are legit!  I placed my order for the driver & 2 fairway woods to replace my current lineup.  Hope to have them in hand sometime next week.  Will report back with stats after my first round with them.  I can't wait!  

7 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

I love these bad boys!  I was fit for them last week & saw great gains on ball speed & distance.

These were my numbers with my current 917 D2 with GD Tour AD7 (which incidentally he said was the wrong shaft for me even though I could control it.  If I wanted distance I needed something else)

fitting_sheet.jpg

Then after a few swings with the TS2 & the HZRDUS Smoke shaft 

test_results.jpg

BAM!  +18 yards more carry ... +6 mph ball speed .... +13 yards more distance .... All with the SAME club head speed of 97 mph

So yeah ... these are legit!  I placed my order for the driver & 2 fairway woods to replace my current lineup.  Hope to have them in hand sometime next week.  Will report back with stats after my first round with them.  I can't wait!  

Mind if I aske what loft was in your current head and the head they gave you?

Low spin was never a priority for me in a driver, nor was squeezing out every last yard of distance.

My priority was always to leave myself with a decent second shot.

I was always willing to eschew driver altogether when that seemed prudent.

(I had too much courage hitting at greens and not enough hitting at landing areas).

That's simply not the way golf is played anymore unless an errant drive will be stroke and distance.

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Mind if I aske what loft was in your current head and the head they gave you?

They are both 9.5* 

46 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

They are both 9.5* 

Thanks, I asked because with equal lofts, equal club speed but a bigger negative attack angle that is some jump in carry and overall distance. You must be jumping for joy. Nice one.

Think I need to try these out soon 😏

• Like 2

Thanks, I asked because with equal lofts, equal club speed but a bigger negative attack angle that is some jump in carry and overall distance. You must be jumping for joy. Nice one.
Think I need to try these out soon 
Yeah I know. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of our members is a died in the wool PING guy. He had been hammering his G400 all summer.

Knowing he is a demo day junkie I asked him if he has tried the new Titleist yet.

He got this sh^% eating grin on his face and just said "oh yeaaaaaaah, oh yeaaaaaaah!!" And snickered some more.

He said he had to litteraly leave the demo day before he spent $500.

That's impressive coming from him. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Just saw that Speith has temporarily ditched the TS driver and fairway wood for his older setup (917? 915?). I know players revert back to older, more comfortable equipment to get the mind right but this kind of gives me a double take to see Speith switch back after only two- three weeks playing the TS setup. 

10 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Just saw that Speith has temporarily ditched the TS driver and fairway wood for his older setup (917? 915?). I know players revert back to older, more comfortable equipment to get the mind right but this kind of gives me a double take to see Speith switch back after only two- three weeks playing the TS setup. 

Speith is super resistant to change.  If he did go back to his previous setup, it's the the 915 stuff. 

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

He said he’s not gettin enough spin. He is going back to his 915 in driver and wood. He tried 917 a couple times but didn’t like it. He said he would put TS back in once they can find a more optimized setup

I may or may not have booked a fitting this Saturday with a friend of my coworker who is now a Titleist rep. I was swingin the TS2 while I was killing time at the pro shop the other day and was putting some out there around 260 carry 280 total. It was on GC2 without HMT and not sure if it was juiced, but I was also hitting some 230 carry on mishits so maybe it's legit?

We'll see what Trackman says on Saturday. I want to get my numbers so I can also see what truefit says and support the boys 😎

• Like 2