Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Value of Time in a Round of Golf

Mr. 82

What type of golfer are you?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you the first guy on the course, hoping to get in a quick round before heading on to the rest of your day, or do you like to arrive later in the day and spend all day with friends on the course?

• I play quickly and finish as fast as possible, so that I can move on to other things.
    • My weekly round with friends takes up the entire day, or a fair portion of it, and I treasure the experience and memories above all else
    • I like to play quick, but if the round goes longer it doesn't bother me, depending on the circumstances.

I couldn't really think of a more appropriate title for this thread, but the purpose of posting this is to analyze how golfers value their time, as it pertains to not only golf, but in your life in general.  My hypothesis is that there are two groups of golfers. 

1. Those that want to play as quickly as possible, so that they can move on to other things (not necessarily more important things, but other things in general, although how you value golf is of some importance). 
  2. Then there are those who consider the round of golf as being the epicenter of their existence, and therefore, the longer the round goes, or the more time that is spent on the golf course, or AT the golf course/country club, then they consider that day to be more meaningful.

For the purposes of example, I'll give you my complete day from last Monday:

• Wake up at 6:00 am
  • Arrive at golf course around 6:40 am
  • Tee off first off the first tee at 7:00 am
  • Finish 18 holes as a threesome/twosome by 9:30 am
  • Arrive home by 10:00 am
  • Mow lawn by 11:00 am
  • Watch TV/have lunch
  • Go to movie theatre with wife for a 1:15 pm movie showing.
  • Arrive back home around 3:30 pm, watch TV.
  • Leave for MILs house around 4:30 pm for TV and dinner.
  • Leave for home around 7:30 pm
  • Arrive home around 8:00 pm and watch TV until bed around 10:00 pm.

My purpose in sharing that one day is to say that I am in the first group of golfers, in that I prefer to play 18 holes as quickly as possible, so that there is time for other things during the day.  And I can often work a full day and head to the golf course after work and get in 18 holes before dinner time.

I would suggest that there are others, in other stages of life who take on an entirely opposite view of a round of golf.  These are the folks that won't get up early for anything, and their earliest tee time is around 10:00 am.  And you've got three buddies you are meeting at the course for that tee time, where you'll eventually get on the course, and if you finish before 3:00 pm it's almost too fast of a round of golf for you.  You treasure the time you spend with your friends, and the longer it lasts, the better the experience.  You have a few beers, a lot of laughs and trash talk, and your entire day consists of a round of golf, before heading home just in time for dinner, after having a few more beers in the clubhouse on a lazy Saturday.

The quick golfer sees opportunity to do multiple other things along with getting in a round of golf.

The later golfer sees opportunity in the experience on the golf course with friends, and they expect that the round of golf will last the entire day, and plan for it.

Now I am not suggesting there is a right and wrong approach here, but I would suggest that golfers would probably fall into one of these two categories.  I would also imagine that there is probably a fair amount of golfers who would say that they fall somewhere between these two groups.

So with all that said, how would you describe yourself as compared to the examples above?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I sometimes am both. If I have other things scheduled, I want to go get done with the round and head to the next part of the day. Most of the time I am between the 2, I prefer to play earlier, it's hot here. So the earlier the better, but I also like hanging out a chatting for a bit as well. I like to enjoy the day with the guys, so I try not to have other plans on golf days, or I just make my other plans for later that day.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm a little in the middle with this one.  I don't like to be out of bed before dawn to play golf, but I enjoy reasonably fast play.  That said, I also enjoy hanging around with my buddies after the round is over, so I'm not in a huge hurry to move on to the next thing.  Here's MY typical weekend golf day:

Up around 6:30, leave the house (with the wife) by about 7:20.  I drive, she reads the paper

8:00 Arrive at course, warm up for 8:30 start (3 tee times, sometimes I start as late as 8:50)

12:30 to 1:30 (last group on a slow day) finish golf, get a beer, settle bets, tell lies, eat lunch

My wife usually plays with a different group, just after ours.

2:30 to 4:00, the group slowly disbands, the wife drives us home (she doesn't drink, I do), we shop for dinner

then a nap while watching golf or baseball on TV, fix dinner, etc.

Sometimes we play together in another group that starts around 9:30, which shifts the whole process back an hour.

So for me, golf is generally an all-day affair, but not generally because of slow play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I couldn't really think of a more appropriate title for this thread, but the purpose of posting this is to analyze how golfers value their time, as it pertains to not only golf, but in your life in general.  My hypothesis is that there are two groups of golfers. 

1. Those that want to play as quickly as possible, so that they can move on to other things (not necessarily more important things, but other things in general, although how you value golf is of some importance). 
  2. Then there are those who consider the round of golf as being the epicenter of their existence, and therefore, the longer the round goes, or the more time that is spent on the golf course, or AT the golf course/country club, then they consider that day to be more meaningful.

For the purposes of example, I'll give you my complete day from last Monday:

• Wake up at 6:00 am
  • Arrive at golf course around 6:40 am
  • Tee off first off the first tee at 7:00 am
  • Finish 18 holes as a threesome/twosome by 9:30 am
  • Arrive home by 10:00 am
  • Mow lawn by 11:00 am
  • Watch TV/have lunch
  • Go to movie theatre with wife for a 1:15 pm movie showing.
  • Arrive back home around 3:30 pm, watch TV.
  • Leave for MILs house around 4:30 pm for TV and dinner.
  • Leave for home around 7:30 pm
  • Arrive home around 8:00 pm and watch TV until bed around 10:00 pm.

My purpose in sharing that one day is to say that I am in the first group of golfers, in that I prefer to play 18 holes as quickly as possible, so that there is time for other things during the day.  And I can often work a full day and head to the golf course after work and get in 18 holes before dinner time.

I would suggest that there are others, in other stages of life who take on an entirely opposite view of a round of golf.  These are the folks that won't get up early for anything, and their earliest tee time is around 10:00 am.  And you've got three buddies you are meeting at the course for that tee time, where you'll eventually get on the course, and if you finish before 3:00 pm it's almost too fast of a round of golf for you.  You treasure the time you spend with your friends, and the longer it lasts, the better the experience.  You have a few beers, a lot of laughs and trash talk, and your entire day consists of a round of golf, before heading home just in time for dinner, after having a few more beers in the clubhouse on a lazy Saturday.

The quick golfer sees opportunity to do multiple other things along with getting in a round of golf.

The later golfer sees opportunity in the experience on the golf course with friends, and they expect that the round of golf will last the entire day, and plan for it.

Now I am not suggesting there is a right and wrong approach here, but I would suggest that golfers would probably fall into one of these two categories.  I would also imagine that there is probably a fair amount of golfers who would say that they fall somewhere between these two groups.

So with all that said, how would you describe yourself as compared to the examples above?

Your sample day is shockingly close to my Sundays. I golf 6-9am, and then just replace all TV/Movie time with spending time with my kid and it's spot on.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

I like to play as quick as possible. I don't mind a round going a little long but I like it to stay under 3 and half hours. That way it is just part of the day, not the whole day.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Definitely in the middle on this subject. I hate slow rounds and it seems most public tracks are getting that way on weekends. I also hate to feel rushed, although that rarely happens. Five hour rounds = no bueno. In a foursome with no traffic ahead, I believe a 3.5-4 hour round is ideal (also below all scorecard/course recs). I would vote to do away with scorecards suggesting 4.5 hour rounds are “normal pace of play”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I fall in the middle, I like to play quickly, but not at the point of making a round difficult or not enjoyable for whoever I get paired with. I get up early and usually am in a tee time between 7 and 8 but its tough to get first on, borderline impossible really.

It's also impossible to play a 2.5 hour round with randoms. I mean thats only 8 minutes per hole...and the average random just doesn't play that fast. I can do it by myself in that amount of time, but its also unreasonable to think I can get a weekend tee time by myself. 

The perfect example of a good round/day for me was last sunday, even if it was unusual.

In the morning me and the wife went and ran several errands, for about 4 hours, I value my time with her more than anything and she's super pregnant so when she has energy and is feeling well, I drop whatever my plans were to spend time with her and do what she wants. Around 1:30 she started getting tired and we had settled back in at the house after having lunch. So I booked a tee time for around 2:30. I left around 1:45. Hit a quick warm up bucket and got paired with one other random. Played the round in a little over 3 hours and had a pretty good time. No rushing, good banter back and forth, etc.. Made it home for dinner and it just so happened the wife had just woken up from her nap about 45 minutes before I got home. I was home by 6 and had time to make dinner with the wife and have a perfectly normal evening.

Summary:

- I'm not 1 because I don't care about playing fast and getting done, but I do care about fitting in the time to golf and not letting it interrupt the rest of my life or things that are more important. If there is a chance that a round will interrupt something more important, I just wont play. I'd rather not play then rush.

- I'm not 2 because golf is certainly not a super important thing in my life, nor do I view it as leisure time, its more of a sport to me and once the round is over, I have no desire to stay any longer and hangout. 

Its starting to seem clear that your missing a very large middle ground in your assumption that I'd bet most people will fall into. Probably because your 2nd group is worded in a way that it sounds derogatory and I doubt anyone will openly admit to golf being "the epicenter of their existence". Just my 2 cents.

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

.... and I doubt anyone will openly admit to golf being "the epicenter of their existence". Just my 2 cents.

Actually, because my wife likes playing (and competing at) golf just as much as I do, golf really IS the center of our existence on the weekends.  Also in part because we're members at a club, the people at the golf course are our friends, developed over years and years, so golf is also a huge part of our social life.  I know those situations don't apply to everyone, but that's the way my life works.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Its starting to seem clear that your missing a very large middle ground in your assumption that I'd bet most people will fall into. Probably because your 2nd group is worded in a way that it sounds derogatory and I doubt anyone will openly admit to golf being "the epicenter of their existence". Just my 2 cents.

It wasn't meant sarcastically or derogatory honestly.  I do know some people who live for and breathe golf 24/7, so that was what I was basing my example off of.

That's also why I added 3 options in the poll.  I think the 3rd option is what most people will pick, which is already showing itself to be true.

Disclaimer - there was no preconceived notion or motive with this.  Just a conversation piece out of curiosity is all.  There is no right or wrong answer either.  We all play the game for different reasons, and different expectations.  How we each decide to pursue it is up to us, and is no better or worse than anyone else.  

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Most day I am up at 5 am, at the course by 6:30 am, on the first tee by 7:30 am, in the grill room by 11:30 am and at the beach for my first beer by 12:15 pm with the wife and kids. Some days I head back and play an afternoon round with my son. Not a bad way to spend weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Actually, because my wife likes playing (and competing at) golf just as much as I do, golf really IS the center of our existence on the weekends.  Also in part because we're members at a club, the people at the golf course are our friends, developed over years and years, so golf is also a huge part of our social life.  I know those situations don't apply to everyone, but that's the way my life works.

Well I stand corrected. I think some others share this sentiment as well. I plan to be the same way in a few years once our child gets a little older, but I'm still not sure I would admittedly claim that sentence, even if it were true. ; )

It wasn't meant sarcastically or derogatory honestly.  I do know some people who live for and breathe golf 24/7, so that was what I was basing my example off of.

That's also why I added 3 options in the poll.  I think the 3rd option is what most people will pick, which is already showing itself to be true.

Disclaimer - there was no preconceived notion or motive with this.  Just a conversation piece out of curiosity is all.  There is no right or wrong answer either.  We all play the game for different reasons, and different expectations.  How we each decide to pursue it is up to us, and is no better or worse than anyone else.  

I know, I was just explaining why I thought no one had chosen option 2 yet. I didn't mean to be argumentative or anything, just sharing my thoughts on the post.

Also its in your poll, but not in your post, I totally didn't even see the poll until I read your reply. 

Edit: And someone chose it in the poll, so I'm just gonna shut up now. Pardon me while I remove myself from the conversation. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I voted with the  third group, but am a mix of 1 and 3 depending on the time of day. 

I try and book early tee times on the weekends to avoid the late afternoon rush but It wont ruin my day if things are a little slow in the mornings because part of the experience for me is the peacefulness of the early morning round after a hectic work week.

During the  week when I try and sneak in 9 before dark I am absolutely a 1. 

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I hate slow play.During the week I will usually go out as a single and match up.But before the round I will call the shop on how busy the course is.Usually skip the day if he says tee times are solid all morning.If it takes more than 3 hours for 18 than I want play at all.

I'm not retired and have all day but golf and talk.My life is extremely busy.

Keep it in the short stuff

I actually voted for #2 for the same reason.  I wouldn't say that golf is the center of my existence, but my wife and I do spend a lot of time at the course.  She works, I'm retired so I get to spend more time there.  

During the week, I have a game with 3 buddies on Monday and Wednesday and we walk.  We are all in our 70's so it takes us about 4 hours; we start around 10am; the course isn't crowded then.  On Tuesday I spend the morning in the practice area from 9-11.  On Thursday and Friday I head to the course around 3pm for 2 hours of practice before my wife gets there at 5pm for 9 holes (That won't last much longer, so I will change my time at the course to the morning.)

On the weekends my wife and I will play either at 8am or 10am depending on the time of year.  We usually play with a few other couples, but we could also get paired with others if we don't have a group.  We can still make it home in time to watch the end of the golf tournaments on TV.

I know there are things that I could be doing if I didn't spend that much time at the course, but Hey! I'm retired.  I'll do them later.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm in a hurry, not that I rush every shot and play TOO fast but I got things to do. I also find I play better at a quicker pace. No time for getting in my head. Don't wish I could spend all day on the golf course? Maybe, I also wish it paid the bills but alas.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I'm in the third group. I hate excessively slow play, but I don't mind a little slow if the pace is constant.

I agree.  A constant pace is critical to my game.  I play poorly if I have to wait on every shot, but I also play equally poorly if I feel that I have to rush every shot.  Constant = good

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I go out for a round, unless it is early in the morning (which is usually the exception), I generally resign myself to the fact that rest of the day/evening will be shot. Most tee times we make are for late morning or early afternoon. After spending the time at home to dress and gather up my gear, then travel over to the course, I usually plan to arrive 45-minutes early to gear up & warm up. So there is about 1.2 to 1.5 hours already gone. Play 18 with at least a 4-some, add in our normal and constant ball-search head-scratchers and I find that this usually goes 5-hours or so. Have a beer or two afterwards and go home. So for me a full round like this will almost always piss-away a whole day. I'm OK with that. I like being out there and being away in a different world than home, so I selected option-2.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I like to enjoy my time on the course but I don't want to be out there all day having to wait on every shot because of slow play on the course or in my group but I also don't want to feel rushed like I'm playing speed golf. If I am in one of the first times and it takes us as long to play as if I was further back in the list I'm going to be a little ticked.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Depends, during the week I play 18 in 2 hours by myself after work and it allows me to be home at dinner time. Saturday's I am usually at the course around 8 for 9 o'clock tee time. After round we chat a lil and have lunch. Usually home around 2ish. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

A fairly consistent pace is much more important to me than how long the round takes. For the most part speed of play is not a big factor.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived