Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

So... my Breakfast Ball� is actually legal?!?

MGoBlue100

Reading my email this morning from one of those “other” sites, and this caught my attention and imagination. Curious of the thoughts of some of the rules aficionados here:

“A mulligan is allowed at the first hole. That is a fact…at least according to a participant at a recent rules evening I conducted. Let me tell you what happened, because, shockingly, he might be right.

As always, I explained to the participants what a mulligan is. I have done this for many years, and it is probably the one “rule” most people tend to know. This is surprising, since it is the only rule we talk about that is not found in the rule book!

When I told the participants that evening that a mulligan is never allowed, a person raised his hand. I think there were around 100 of us. He told me very calmly about a recent episode he was involved in.

Person: “Brian, that was not what I did.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

Person: “I did not take a free ‘reload.”‘

Me (with a smile): “OK. So then what did you do?”

Person: “Brian this is what happened. Listen carefully. I played a very poor shot from the teeing ground on the first tee. It made me really sad. I therefore decided to stop the round. I didn't want to play anymore. But you know what? 10 seconds later I realized I wanted to play again! I love golf! So therefore I placed a ball on a tee, and I started a new round of golf . I then played my first stroke in that new round of golf. Therefore, it was not a mulligan, rather it was a completely new round of golf!”

How would you answer this person? Any idea? Well let me tell you what my answer was:

“Well…ehh…you cannot…I mean…it is not fair…eeeeh…if you really want to play…eeh…“

Not really a great answer! Of course, I desperately began to read the rules book to find out what it says about when you are allowed to stop a round. But it does not say. So, as far as I've seen in the rules book, there is no answer.

The only help seems to be in Rule 1-4, that states

“If any point a dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity”.

Well that does not give you much help. Maybe you could argue, that under Rule 1-4 it would be most fair, that — in the situation mentioned above — the player was playing under stroke and distance, and therefore was playing his third stroke from the teeing ground.

But I don't know for sure.

What do you think?”

Entire article lifted from that site which shall remain nameless, but I think the discussion is thought provoking, at least...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Reading my email this morning from one of those “other” sites, and this caught my attention and imagination. Curious of the thoughts of some of the rules aficionados here:

“A mulligan is allowed at the first hole. That is a fact…at least according to a participant at a recent rules evening I conducted. Let me tell you what happened, because, shockingly, he might be right.

As always, I explained to the participants what a mulligan is. I have done this for many years, and it is probably the one “rule” most people tend to know. This is surprising, since it is the only rule we talk about that is not found in the rule book!

When I told the participants that evening that a mulligan is never allowed, a person raised his hand. I think there were around 100 of us. He told me very calmly about a recent episode he was involved in.

Person: “Brian, that was not what I did.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

Person: “I did not take a free ‘reload.”‘

Me (with a smile): “OK. So then what did you do?”

Person: “Brian this is what happened. Listen carefully. I played a very poor shot from the teeing ground on the first tee. It made me really sad. I therefore decided to stop the round. I didn't want to play anymore. But you know what? 10 seconds later I realized I wanted to play again! I love golf! So therefore I placed a ball on a tee, and I started a new round of golf . I then played my first stroke in that new round of golf. Therefore, it was not a mulligan, rather it was a completely new round of golf!”

How would you answer this person? Any idea? Well let me tell you what my answer was:

“Well…ehh…you cannot…I mean…it is not fair…eeeeh…if you really want to play…eeh…“

Not really a great answer! Of course, I desperately began to read the rules book to find out what it says about when you are allowed to stop a round. But it does not say. So, as far as I've seen in the rules book, there is no answer.

The only help seems to be in Rule 1-4, that states

“If any point a dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity”.

Well that does not give you much help. Maybe you could argue, that under Rule 1-4 it would be most fair, that — in the situation mentioned above — the player was playing under stroke and distance, and therefore was playing his third stroke from the teeing ground.

But I don't know for sure.

What do you think?”

Entire article lifted from that site which shall remain nameless, but I think the discussion is thought provoking, at least...

Sounds like someone has been thinking up that excuse for awhile  ;)

The "Player" is still definitely wrong but I applaud their creativity!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

On a handful of occasions over the past decade (non-competitive) I have exercised the option to quit and start again. The procedure was introduced to me by a college golf teammate (3-time All American).

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I would suggest that, as he has abandoned his round, he would be obligated to pay off all potential lost bets for the entire round.  After the bets have been paid, he could then proceed with his new round.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I would suggest that, as he has abandoned his round, he would be obligated to pay off all potential lost bets for the entire round. After the bets have been paid, he could then proceed with his new round.

I'm in agreement with that, LOLZ

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

If the person decided to stop the round then he/she must be deemed to go back to the pro shop, pay again then get a new tee time in order for the first shot not to count.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It is a mulligan. In my Sunday morning money game each player has the opportunity to hit a second tee ball if he would like to at no penalty to the player. That is just a local club rule for our game only.

~ Titleist 915 9.5* A1 Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff

~ Titleist 917 15* B1 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6 SR

~ Titleist 818 H1 19* A1 Project X EvenFlow Blue 70 Stiff

~ Titleist 816 H1 21* A1 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+90 Stiff

~ Srixon 565 Forged 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 Regular +1/2"

~ Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48*, 52*, 56* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 T105

~ Cleveland #6 CS 33 1/2â€

SRIXON, The best iron know one know’s about

There are some facilities with "local rules" that may also offer convoluted precedent on the subject. For example, there is/was a local rule in place at Austin Country Club that gave players the 1st tee option to "keep swinging until you are happy" with no penalty. Didn't matter if it took a small bucket to put one in play, they wanted every member to begin every round on a positive note.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

He has one tee time that signifies the round. If he quits he must abandon the tee box and return to the pro shop/starter to get a new tee time/name on waiting list and pay for the new round

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That is ingenious. I would have told him that he needs to pay his green fees again if this was his second round.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If the person decided to stop the round then he/she must be deemed to go back to the pro shop, pay again then get a new tee time in order for the first shot not to count.

I'm not so sure, Foz.

Sure, if you're playing against the field in a tournament or in a match, dropping out doesn't get you a restart.

But in terms of turning in the card for handicap, I'm really not sure.

Say you're a member or a season ticket holder. You're not paying by the round.

Suppose reserved tee times aren't required?

On a typical weekday, i could walk onto our course and start on any hole.

If you're playing in a money match and your opponent says, Shall we start over?,

don't you and he or she have the right to decide?  The USGA isn't going to pay off the bets.

The player picks up after one shot and aborts his game.

Then he starts another one.

I'm not sure that it's really covered.

That being said, the first shot of the round is never where I could have used my mulligan. My attention span was sufficient to get me by the first shot. The first putt was another story.

Clearly not, and such an action is obviously taken in bad faith. That said, please do this and post scores accordingly. I don't mind getting a couple strokes from vanity handicaps that I otherwise shouldn't. And if we already have a bet, your abandoning the round means conceding all wagers.

Except for tournament play - we always invoke the 'breakfast' ball rule if we don't like our first drive.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Except for tournament play - we always invoke the 'breakfast' ball rule if we don't like our first drive.

Same here, I normally don't warm up so I will hit 2 off the first as a "warmup" and take the better one.😇

Same here, I normally don't warm up so I will hit 2 off the first as a "warmup" and take the better one.

Wait a minute!  In friendly games when agreed, I can understand taking a mulligan on the first tee.  I don't always warm up either, but if the first one was a "warmup", then the second one is in play. I've never heard of being able to choose between the two.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wait a minute! In friendly games when agreed, I can understand taking a mulligan on the first tee. I don't always warm up either, but if the first one was a "warmup", then the second one is in play. I've never heard of being able to choose between the two.

Legal, errr, no. But we all agree to that, and we all do it. After that, it is by the book, and those are the rules we agree to for the round. Our reasoning is that you probably aren't warmed up after one so both are warmup, and then we just play from there.

It doesn't usually matter for me because when I am not warmed up, they are both in the right trees anyway...

Wait a minute! In friendly games when agreed, I can understand taking a mulligan on the first tee. I don't always warm up either, but if the first one was a "warmup", then the second one is in play. I've never heard of being able to choose between the two.

When I played with my regular guys, choosing the better ball off the first tee was pretty normal. Then again we always played modified "rules" that we all agreed to.

Can't find it? Drop one where you think it went, no penalty. Darn squirrels probably stole the ball.

We had fun, and no one kept a handicap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

When I played with my regular guys, choosing the better ball off the first tee was pretty normal. Then again we always played modified "rules" that we all agreed to.

Can't find it? Drop one where you think it went, no penalty. Darn squirrels probably stole the ball.

We had fun, and no one kept a handicap.

If it's just guys out having fun, then play whatever rules you like.  That's what so great about the game.

I'm curious though... do your rules extend past the first shot, or first hole?  If I'm playing in your group and everyone hits two shots off the tee, but I hit a decent tee shot, can I take two shots on my next stroke because I chunked the first one?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If it's just guys out having fun, then play whatever rules you like. That's what so great about the game.

I'm curious though... do your rules extend past the first shot, or first hole? If I'm playing in your group and everyone hits two shots off the tee, but I hit a decent tee shot, can I take two shots on my next stroke because I chunked the first one?

For me, no. Just the first shot as warmup.

If it's just guys out having fun, then play whatever rules you like. That's what so great about the game.

I'm curious though... do your rules extend past the first shot, or first hole? If I'm playing in your group and everyone hits two shots off the tee, but I hit a decent tee shot, can I take two shots on my next stroke because I chunked the first one?

Just on the first.

I'm not so sure, Foz.

Sure, if you're playing against the field in a tournament or in a match, dropping out doesn't get you a restart.

But in terms of turning in the card for handicap, I'm really not sure.

Say you're a member or a season ticket holder. You're not paying by the round.

Suppose reserved tee times aren't required?

On a typical weekday, i could walk onto our course and start on any hole.

If you're playing in a money match and your opponent says, Shall we start over?,

don't you and he or she have the right to decide? The USGA isn't going to pay off the bets.

The player picks up after one shot and aborts his game.

Then he starts another one.

I'm not sure that it's really covered.

That being said, the first shot of the round is never where I could have used my mulligan. My attention span was sufficient to get me by the first shot. The first putt was another story.

...and this is the conversation I HOPED would start. I knew this group would take the “mulligan” and run with it!

I do play to the rules of golf for one reason only if I happen to shoot a great round I want it to be real, not a product of gimme's, roll the ball to get a better lie ( yes I spelled it that way for a reason ) stroke and distance for a lost ball, If all are in agreement on the first tee what is a rule then it's a rule because ( ALL AGREED )  I don't have the time to hit balls before a round and I don't have marshals lining the course to help with errant shot like to pro's if they had to find there own balls with no outside help scores would be higher. Back to the point, why I play by the rules   if I ever hit another birdy eagle or hole in one I want it to be real..but THAT;S JUST ME. You paid the money to play so I don't care what you do or don't, unless your playing me for money 

We use a breakfast ball in our game, some people hit another, others don't. Some hit a bad shot, and just play it, others don't. We are having fun playing for a couple bucks. We do use the no rocks, no roots rule. Clubs are expensive and so is a broken wrist, so we just move it off the rock or root and play on. Not looking to move 10 feet for a better look, just enough so you don't hit the rock or root. In any of our tournaments we play it done and putt everything out, but Saturdays are for fun with the guys, so we loosen up a bit. Also, at some point as fall and winter golf approach we will go to winter rules where we roll it everywhere. It's ussually wet and muddy so cleaning the ball off and moving it out of the wet area is needed.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

That may be one of the best methods I have heard for executing the breakfast ball.

Depending on who I am playing with, we decide before the round if we are playing mulligans or not.  In my league, we play it down with no mulligans.  When playing with my wife or the in-laws, we generally play one mulligan per 9 holes, but off the tee only.

When playing with my brothers, it is the full rules of golf with the exception the heckling is required at all times.  Only when someone begins their backswing does the heckling stop.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I keep seeing this topic surface and keep saying to myself.... Breakfast ball? WTH?

As most of you know I've been playing golf for a couple years and have never in my life heard that term used.

In fact I don't even like the sound of it. "hey Joe... you hitting a breakfast ball?" LOL  Is there also a Lunch ball? How bout a Brunch ball?

How about we just stick with mulligan.

:)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I keep seeing this topic surface and keep saying to myself.... Breakfast ball? WTH?

As most of you know I've been playing golf for a couple years and have never in my life heard that term used.

In fact I don't even like the sound of it. "hey Joe... you hitting a breakfast ball?" LOL Is there also a Lunch ball? How bout a Brunch ball?

How about we just stick with mulligan.

:)

For us we use the term Breakfast ball because it's early in the morning around breakfast time.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I prefer noodles in the morning.  TP5s are a little crunchy.  (Yep I know, I'll see myself out)

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

If a breakfast ball agrees with the rules your group decided on, its legal.

I started hearing the term about a dozen years ago, now it's part of the discussion on the first tee for every round.

First tee, that's it. Potentionally 1 extra shot per golfer. Our breakfast ball rule also stipulates that you get your choice of those two drives.

We play skins, roll in the fairway if you're in a divot and pick up when your out of the hole.

Our biggest time saver imo is that once you clean and line up your ball on the green, that's it. Putt until you're in the hole unless you putt off the green.

No scores marked until the next tee.

Sometimes we'll offer a 2nd drive on the 10th hole if someone is struggling. The game is supposed to be fun, right?

I enjoy spending time on the course, however still like a no wait game. Our foursome with everyone capable of a round in the 80s are all bogeyish golfers who are all retired, including an Elizabeth NJ cop, a beer delivery guy from Bayonne, a FEMA security officer and me.

Just pointing out that the breakfast ball doesn't slow up the game, we actually get thru in about 3 hours, maybe a little less.

The ages are 66, 65, 68 and I'm 71. The scores are generally 20 or more strokes higher

Archived