Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The "Claw"!

Sluggo42

Or the pencil or whatever.

It seems like pro after pro is switching to something other than the traditional putting grip.

Why?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

The art is gone, art of the swing is gone, it's just rip it chase it and rip it again. The art of putting is gone, yardage books, green grids etc. IMHO the "feel" of the modern golfer is gone. With the style that has taken over you lose that aspect. I believe that this is what has caused all the new grips in putting. I could be wrong but I haven't seen any data that confirms that the "claw" or other variations are better that the traditional grip.

All that being said, I too have fallen victim to the rip it and chase it style of play, but then again, I have always played this way. But my grip for putting has been the same for over 15 years. 

Of course, one could argue that all the tour golfers are in fact golfers and they see something working for someone else and think I might have to try that...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I'm a pretty traditional guy but I don't care how you hold a putter as long as it's legal. Same with the actual grip. I play with a guy that's been putting Claw forever it seems and he's good with it. I grip all my clubs 10 finger as it's commonly referred to. Made the switch several years ago and it was a game changer for me. I don't agree with or like the topographic survey books the pros use on the greens. That's BS IMO. I once witnessed a guy on the old Ben Hogan Tour playing cross handed.!! Apparently it didn't work out so well for him as he never moved up and eventually faded completely. But again... if it's legal go for it.

I do get bored watching the Pros play driver wedge all day. If I was in charge of the world I'd make the tour courses longer, narrow the fairways, increase the grass height on the fairways, corn-row the bunkers and keep the rough tall. When was the last time you saw a tour pro hit a 5i? Except on a 250 yd. par three I mean.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Well, I putt left hand low, with a Rickie Fowler like stroke. Looser grip with a little wrist break and a little forward press. Not textbook, I know, but I had 25 putts today and didn't miss inside 8 feet so I am okay with "not textbook". Left hand low gets my shoulders more level so I can release the club head better. The claw is supposed to take you wrists out of the stroke and help stabilize the club face. I think you need to find something that works for you and if that is an unconventional putting grip then that is what you should putt with.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Or the pencil or whatever.

It seems like pro after pro is switching to something other than the traditional putting grip.

Why?

Dunno... But I bet a lot of it has to do with mob mentality. If someone finds some new "magic" technique and they win or show vast improvement quickly, their peers & fellow competitors will almost always try it to see if they can gain the same advantage IMHO. We saw this a lot when I was in competitive shooting. An example would be if a shooter was using "x" bullet with "y" amount of "z" brand powder and won the match with it, he "must" have some trick I don't, so why not try it. Same for gear. Success sells, simple as that.

I too have copied a new putter grip I saw many pros using earlier this year, and I'm really liking the "left-hand-down" grip. Not sure if that was just a fad, but it sure feels more natural to me on my PP62 grip than my standard interlock grip I always used for every club. Oh and I used to copy Rod Carew's swing back in the day too...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

When was the last time you saw a tour pro hit a 5i? Except on a 250 yd. par three I mean.

Rarely.  I like the long par 3 being played this week at The BMW.  Seeing some 4i's coming out of semi retirement. Perhaps in addition to some tougher hazards you describe around the new average fairway landing zones, more challenging par 3's should be added.

As for the "claw", I think its success is due to it being more a natural alignment path and minimizing the tendency to push or pull the putt.  I've tried it a few times on the practice green and it just feels goofy to me.  My putting has never been a consistent weak point so I've never really considered a wholesale change to that part of my game.  Reading putts better is what I've been working on.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I actually switched to the claw a year or so ago.  I had gotten to the point where I didn't feel comfortable over any putt (actually had about a 2 foot birdie putt on a par 3 at my home course during one skins game that I honestly had no idea if I would make it or not).  Before my next round, I was screwing around on the practice green with the claw grip and it actually felt really good.  Used it during that round of golf and make 5 birdies and won almost $100 and have never went back to the traditional grip. I still putt pretty well with it and have a lot more confidence in hitting my line. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

This is my reaction every time someone I golf with brings up the claw grip.

images.jpg

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" is most true in golf on the green. I've seen people trying the claw have great success on the green and I've seen it destroy a few rounds. It's about what helps you be most consistent and keep control to ease the space between your ears.

As to why multiple pros are switching - sometimes switching to the "new" thing that someone else succeeded with helps your confidence, and in turn your performance under pressure. 

images.jpg

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

I'm prone to missing 18" putts and not even hitting the hole  :mad:

Tried the claw for under 3 feet and in, and missed 2 in a row  :mad:

Now I've adopted snedekers 'pop' putts for under 3 feet with great results- less backswing so less margin for error, in my head, and I dont have to change my grip.  :D

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think I'll toy with it today and see what happens, although that would be stupid.

But......

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived