TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Iron set purchase insight: Late Season sales VS Waiting till next season.

BenjaminButtonz

I've been wanting too upgrade my irons all Summer, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet. Im on the fence between upgrading my irons. Do I take advantage of last seasons irons being marked down quite a bit at this point (2016-2017 clubs), or would I benefit more from waiting until the start of next season when this years models (2018) will be marked down in similar fashion. I have no problem purchasing older clubs or past generations that are sill new. I'm not entering tournaments every weekend so there's no reason too always have the “newest tech”. With that being said, I personally feel like this was a year where iron innovation and advancement was impressive across the board. Which makes me wonder if the performance gains/advancements/etc in 2018 were significant enough for me to hold off on new irons until Next season when they're much cheaper and I have a full summer to utilize them. If the gains were minimal between a 2016-2017 club compared to a 2018, Rhere wouldn't be as much reason to wait till 2019 to upgrade my irons :) . This question may confuse many, in which I apologize. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this mental battle for me. Any positive insight on this topic would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Papa-Bear was Here. 

You asked so I'll respond.

You're not going to be missing or giving up anything (except money) by purchasing a set of irons that are 1-2-3 years old. Any gains that you're hoping for whether that be distance or forgiveness has been there for years. Weren't the 2016 irons by XX the most accurate, longest, most forgiving ever made? They say that every year and with each new release. Nobody buys the hype these companies put out year after year. Are the newest irons this year better than last year? Absolutely..... according to XX company.

Here's what's important. Get yourself fit for your irons. That's where the magic comes alive. And you can do that with a set of 2016 irons just as easily as 2018 or 2019 irons. And... you'll save a ton of money.

Good luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Don't expect irons released this year to drop in price next year. Most OEM are holding to a minimum 18 month life cycle before dropping any price.

The old , TaylorMade will come out with a new club in 6 months and this will become half price, hasn't existed for a couple years now.

And frankly it was never a 1/2 price drop anyway. Always more like 25 to 30 percent.

The internet has been known to exaggerate greatly.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The internet has been known to exaggerate greatly.

No kidding...

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M3-Driver/DW-WZ617.html?cgid=taylormade-drivers#start=1&

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2018-rogue.html

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

You never know which advance will be the one that pops for your swing. What is always in fashion is a good swing and familiarity with equipment that fits as best as possible.

I would think the buy at the end is f the season strategy gives the opportunity to practice some with the new stuff now and in the Spring.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm a firm believer in taking advantage of the used club market. Most golfers believe it's the arrow and not the Indian so the market is full of clubs from disappointed lost souls. I always recommend the gold digest hot club list. You can find those list online dating back ten years. If you go back to 2014 then work your way up to 2018 you'll find some great sets at a fraction of today's pricing.

I bought a set of Ping i25s 4-PW in unbelievable shape for $125. I replaced the grips so all in $200 for a set originally sold for over $700.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I'm a firm believer in taking advantage of the used club market. Most golfers believe it's the arrow and not the Indian so the market is full of clubs from disappointed lost souls. I always recommend the gold digest hot club list. You can find those list online dating back ten years. If you go back to 2014 then work your way up to 2018 you'll find some great sets at a fraction of today's pricing.

I bought a set of Ping i25s 4-PW in unbelievable shape for $125. I replaced the grips so all in $200 for a set originally sold for over $700.

Nothing wrong with weighing all options but I think... at least from members (including me) in this forum the Golf Digest Hot List list is not exactly an unbiased opinion. I'd take MGS testing and recommendations over any others.

Nothing wrong with weighing all options but I think... at least from members (including me) in this forum the Golf Digest Hot List list is not exactly an unbiased opinion. I'd take MGS testing and recommendations over any others.

Lots of sources of information out there, just recommended one which is easily accessible. For arguments sake, there is bias in all reviews. It maybe personal, environmental and or professional but it's virtually impossible to eliminate bias. I utilize reviews as one of many sources of information and rarely if ever move on a particular product based on one person's opinion.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I almost always buy 1 gen older gear, simply because it's more cost effective. Iron tech will change over 5-6 years, but year to year it really doesn't seem from everything I've seen and read to be drastically different.

Go hit some sets. If you don't see any gains from a 2016/2017 set to a 2018 set, then go for it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

If it's a FOMO on gains in technology you'd see a bigger gap if they were clubs from 4-5 years ago. It does depend upon your skill level but trying to save some $ while buying a club from the recent product cycle is financially responsible.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have almost never bought old tech irons. If I'm in the market for a new set, I always sell what I'm getting rid of, so I get the “price reduction” on the brand new set. I always go to a professional fitter., and I find the best deal possible for said set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I don't think you'll miss out by looking for iron, but I'd go hit some different sets. You may find that a set from last year fits your eye and gives you the numbers you want, and they may still be similar to any new set you hit. Lots of good options out there, but I think it's important to find somewhere to get fit.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I don't think tech changes too much from year to year. Maybe every 5-10 years tech will improve to the point of noticeable data. I think the most important thing is to get fit and find a set that fits your eye. As you see in my signature I play 8 year old irons, and I don't really feel like I am missing out on too much. I have forgiveness, workability and distance. When I was testing out these irons (last year) they were 2 yards shorter with the same dispersion, height, and spin rate as new irons. This was conclusive enough for me that I didn't feel like I needed to pay $600-1000 more for the newest tech.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I play Adams CB3's, and no irons have shown to be much, if any, better for me. I am getting new irons, leaning to Ping I210's, but that's more because I am missing a coup!e irons out of my set, and to be honest, I just want something shiny and new. I don't expect to all of a sudden drop 3 strokes off my HC. So I think buying a set from 1 or 2 years ago will be fine, as long as they work for your swing.

Rob is correct though, you probably aren't going to get a great deal on a new set of irons that has been out for a year.

Ping G400 12' Sft stock Alta shaft

Callaway xr 3 and 4 hybrids

Callaway xr 4 wood

Adams CB3 irons. kbs tour 90 r flex

Taylor Made ef wedge atv grind 54'

Titleist 50' vokey sm6

Titleist 58' vokey sm6 K grind

If you're looking at or get fit for Callaway irons, go check their pre-owned site. They are the best when it comes to pre-owned. If you find something in 'like new' condition, it's pretty much brand spankin new but at a good discount. Since I like their wedges and the occasional Odyssey putter, I'll look there before I go find something on eBay or another site. 

TaylorMade's pre-owned site is pretty good as well. 

2nd Swing is a real head scratcher. Their condition rating is pretty liberal (mint in their book is not mint in my book) and their prices are 'meh' at best. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I was fitted for loft, length, lie, and fkex then shopped for older models on sale that fit my specs.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

If you're looking at or get fit for Callaway irons, go check their pre-owned site. They are the best when it comes to pre-owned. If you find something in 'like new' condition, it's pretty much brand spankin new but at a good discount. Since I like their wedges and the occasional Odyssey putter, I'll look there before I go find something on eBay or another site. 

TaylorMade's pre-owned site is pretty good as well. 

2nd Swing is a real head scratcher. Their condition rating is pretty liberal (mint in their book is not mint in my book) and their prices are 'meh' at best. 

Another +1 for CPO. Have bought numerous things from them, and they always have sales. I've gotten some good deals from them. Even some of their stuff that's rated "very good" looks new.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

... As someone that usually plays new irons every year for my reviews on https://www.facebook.com/InternetGolfReviews/  I can tell you of all the categories of clubs I review, irons are the least likely to perform better, let along significantly better than last years irons. There are many reasons however to buy new/used/older and replace what you are playing. 

1. You just want a change to shake things up. Most of us recognize that playing new irons give you a mental jolt and can energize your iron game. Obviously this depends on budgets and how important golf is to you. And of course there is nothing wrong with playing irons that are older if they work for you. 

2. Your game has changed. You played MB's or serious players irons but now have other responsibilities like young kids, new job, injuries or a myriad of reasons you do not play or practice as much.  There are so many forgiving options out there from low offset, thinner topline irons appealing to better ball strikers to wide soled thick topline irons for confidence and forgiveness for those that want or need it. Of course the opposite is also true. You have improved and need more trajectory control and/or want a better feeling iron. So moving from SGI to GI's or even a forged soft carbon steel players irons could be a viable option. 

3. There is a deal that is just too good to pass up. That can be either the irons themselves or even shafts that will be better for your game. 

... In all the years I have reviewed and played new irons, it was very rare for any of those irons to have a significant performance increase. Usually it was a boost mentally, a better look at address or a better feel. Amp Forged irons, which I consider to be Hall Of Fame irons, have been "updated" twice now. Fly Z+ were the next generation and now Forged Tours. The cosmetics have changed and some very minor performance changes have been made but the difference between the original Amp Forged and my Forged Tours is negligible. Those looking for a bargain that can find original Amp Forged in like new conditions can get a steal. Cobra sells the Tour Forged 4-pw or 5-gw on their website for $999 but if you look in the Outlet section you will see Fly Z+ irons for $623. And that includes custom shafts! A savings of $376 for virtually the same irons with custom shafts options is a heckova deal.

... There are however, irons that come along every now and then that actually do make a performance difference. Hollow headed hybrid-like SGI irons has been a huge benefit to many higher index players. AP2's fall into that category providing all the performance a better player wants as well as all the forgiveness they need. A more forgiving multi material players is now offered by most OEM's. And PXG started the next performance increase in irons with their hollow, foam filled even more forgiving players iron that was longer than it's competitors and the Players Distance Iron was created. P790's, i500's and it looks like CNCPT players distance irons from Titleist are on the way. My P790's have made a difference in my score, my confidence in long irons and my distance. At age 65 I am not getting longer with my irons so keeping Father Time at bay, even briefly has been a boon to my game. 

... I will end this with my favorite personal philosophy. If you are looking at new irons, look at the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. For different players this has a different meaning. Tiger Woods needs ultimate control of his trajectory and his side to side movement and hits balls everyday so effectively MB's are the most forgiving he can play. About 1% of all golfers fall into that category. So if you are looking at new irons, demo the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at and then progress, if necessary to GI's or even Players Irons.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

If I was in your shoes I would look to get fitted into Mizuno 900s before the fitting abilities are gone because they are sending out the 919 now then look to purchase a discounted set soon those are irons that could last you 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Archived